• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Aesthetically Daring Tournament: COMPLETE!!!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Hey guys,

I'm moving tomorrow, and won't have internet for a bit, so the beginning of round 2 is probably going to be delayed by a day or so, just FYI.

Phew! Gives me some time now to get this round sorted Wink - Good luck with your move as well Very Happy

Round 1, Group D:

D1
Madoka Magica 1 2
Vs.
Tezuka's 13 1 2

Voting for Madoka Magica

D2
Oban Star Racers 1 2 3
Vs.
House of Five Leaves 1

Voting for House of Five Leaves For me HoFL had more of a unique look and feel about it where as when I first saw the pictures of Oban Star Racers the first thing that popped into my head was that early 2000's French Cartoon Code Lyoko (oh how I loved that show).

D3
Hidamari Sketch 1
Vs.
Gilgamesh 1 2 3

Voting for Hidamari Sketch

D4
Fantastic Children 1 2
Vs.
Revolutionary Girl Utena 1 2 3

Voting for Fantastic Children

D5
Metropolis 1 2 3
Vs.
Boogiepop Phantom 1 2 3 4

Voting for Metropolis

D6
Nagi no Asukara 1 2 3 4
Vs.
Cat Soup 1

Voting for Cat Soup I know I nominated Nagi but I was surprised to see it actually make it into the tournament - Its visually stunning and has some quirks to it but daring caompared to everything else we have seen so far it is not.

D7
Red Garden 1 2 3
Vs.
Aria 1 2 3 4

Voting for Aria because I don't think ether of them should go through, if I'm honest so giving the otherone a chance as no one have voted for it yet Laughing

D8
Attack on Titan 1
Vs.
Redline 1 2 3

Voting for Redline
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:18 pm Reply with quote
whoops, blanked on this again, but if you haven't tallied yet, I guess you're still taking votes (and it look like this round needs some).

Round 1, Group D:

D1
Madoka Magica 1 2
Vs.
Tezuka's 13 1 2

Voting for: Tezuka's 13

I was all set to vote for Madoka, and wouldn't be sorry to see them go through, but that Tezuka stuff is very engrossing. I feel it's a little unfair to vote a long form series against a collection of varied experiments but what I've watched of them is absolutely awesome.

D2
Oban Star Racers 1 2 3
Vs.
House of Five Leaves 1

Voting for House of Five Leaves

D3
Hidamari Sketch 1
Vs.
Gilgamesh 1 2 3

Just going to repeat my nomination text:

Some forget that this show began as the precursor to Shaft's more "serious" shows and it was the tricks used here that became noticed in shows such as Bakemonogatari and Madoka. Such elements as heavy use of symbols as characters, mix of realism and cartoon, characters outlines, Title cards and unique conventions to convey nonverbal information, a pop art aesthetic that mixes the funny pages with the shading conventions of the like of Roy Lichtenstein, characters that transform from cartoon to even more super deformed, stark heavy line art that focuses heavily on weighted compositional balance. It is a show about young artists which uses youthful art as a means to tell its story. But what really makes this show DARING is the type of show it is. This is no "serious" show with a shocking premise, it really is the most mundane of premises, it is a Slice of Life show about cute girls doing cute things. It is not something you expect to be a visual feast, yet it is, without being so obtrusive in its artful presentation to distract from the humor.

D4
Fantastic Children 1 2
Vs.

Voting for Revolutionary Girl Utena
I actually get annoyed mightily by the repetitive grand excess of the TV series. For visual daring I actually prefer the briefer experience of the movie... which I guess isn't included? But there's no denying the effort and vision involved, which certainly outclasses what looks to be a nice, but unvarying and almost stagnant, design in Fantastic Children.

D5
Metropolis 1 2 3
Vs.

Voting for Metropolis

REMOVE SECOND LINK FROM METROPOLIS LIST- it's one of those "Don't link to us", guro replacement images.

D6
Nagi no Asukara 1 2 3 4
Vs.
Cat Soup 1

Voting for Cat Soup

D7
Red Garden 1 2 3
Vs.
Aria 1 2 3 4

Voting for Red Garden

D8
Attack on Titan 1
Vs.
Redline 1 2 3

Voting for Redline
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:14 am Reply with quote
My apologies for this shockingly late vote.

D1
Madoka Magica 1 2
Vs.
Tezuka's 13 1 2

Voting For: Madoka Magica

I liked the Tezuka short films, but I feel that they don't have the same daring, impact and vision as the show that redefined what the magical girl genre could do.

D2
Oban Star Racers 1 2 3
Vs.
House of Five Leaves 1

Voting For: Oban Star Racers

This was a tough one. I thought I was going to vote for House of Five Leaves - because it looks just so strikingly unique - but the more I watched of Oban Star Racers the more it won me over. It's not that unusual, but I do think it is more appealing to look at, and it is surprisingly creative with some of the shots.

D3
Hidamari Sketch 1
Vs.
Gilgamesh 1 2 3

Voting For: Hidamari Sketch

Gilgamesh has the whole gothic look and atmosphere down pat, but I feel it is actually quite "safe". As in, it really isn't all that different from other dark gothic moody shows. I think Hidamari Sketch does enough - barely - to differentiate itself from the usual moe aesthetics to win my vote.

D4
Fantastic Children 1 2
Vs.

Voting For: Revolutionary Girl Utena

Ya know, it's sad. I think Fantastic Children actually has some good things going for it in terms of art and character designs, but it has run into a powerhouse in the first round. Utena is legendary in its visual symbolism, character designs, shot framing, and a whole host of other things, and it is just too strong to be denied here.

D5
Metropolis 1 2 3
Vs.

Voting For: Boogiepop Phantom

Boogiepop Phantom impressed me with its tone and shot framing/storyboarding. It really is a tour de force of artistic integrity, even if I didn't understand the plot at all. Metropolis on the other hand underwhelmed me a bit. Sure, it looked great, but it didn't have the vision or the impact of the original by Fritz Lang.

D6
Nagi no Asukara 1 2 3 4
Vs.
Cat Soup 1

Voting For: Cat Soup

It's perhaps a little unfortunate for Nagi no Asukara that I will always remember it as "that show with the funny fish knee". On a more serious note, while it was very pretty it didn't seem all that unusual. Whereas Cat Soup really has its own voice (I feel) and it is very memorable and interesting. Watching the AMV and some other clips makes me want to watch the rest of it.

D7
Red Garden 1 2 3
Vs.
Aria 1 2 3 4

Voting For: Red Garden

I always felt that although Aria did experiment a bit it was always by and large a standard slice-of-life series just with better music than most. Red Garden does have some truly hilarious(ly awful) singing, but in terms of visual aesthetics it is intriguing and compelling. The character designs are rather refreshing, the clothing choices are certainly striking, and Gonzo's flair and offbeat style permeates throughout the production.

D8
Attack on Titan 1
Vs.
Redline 1 2 3

Voting For: Redline

I don't much like Redline as a film. But there's no denying that with its incredible animation and energetic portrayal of a vividly futuristic setting filled with amazing aliens and crazy visual homages, it is strikingly memorable and every frame is interesting in some way.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:25 am Reply with quote
I've been meaning to vote, but I've been too swamped with real life to really get a chance. This maybe late, but hopefully it will count.

Round 1, Group D:

D1
Madoka Magica 1 2
Vs.
Tezuka's 13 1 2
Voting for Madoka Magica

D2
Oban Star Racers 1 2 3
Vs.
House of Five Leaves 1
Voting for Oban Star Racers

D3
Hidamari Sketch 1
Vs.
Gilgamesh 1 2 3
I saw some of Gilgamesh a long time ago and its still sitting on my shelf. I never got a chance to finish it, but it reminded me in a way of Speed Grapher in the sense that the promotional art work looked much better than what was actually in the show (I really like some of the covers of the DVDs and the artbox). What I've seen of Hidamari Sketch seems a little bolder and makes me more inclined to vote for it.

D4
Fantastic Children 1 2
Vs.
Voting for Revolutionary Girl Utena

D5
Metropolis 1 2 3
Vs.
Voting for Metropolis

D6
Nagi no Asukara 1 2 3 4
Vs.
Cat Soup 1
Voting for Cat Soup
I've seen all of Nagi no Asukara and while its very pretty at times it never stood out to me as particularly daring. The little bit of what I saw of Cat Soup (first ep is on Youtube) seems more experimental at the very least.

D7
Red Garden 1 2 3
Vs.
Aria 1 2 3 4
Voting for Red Garden
Red Garden is not a a strong contender, but it stands out with a realistic and what looked like well researched American setting with at times pronounced character designs. Some of the characters have some impressive schnauzers/honkers on them and thick lips plus if I recall clothing and styles were consistently changed instead of everyone remaining the same throughout. Also I think it was one of the times that the animation was done after the voice acting in order to sync and capture the emotions of the characters.

D8
Attack on Titan 1
Vs.
Redline 1 2 3
Voting for Redline
What I remember from AoT (and this is from when it aired as I don't own it) was a lot of shortcuts like panning over still images and over exaggerated speedlines when characters were pooping their pants in fear. This really didn't impress. It occasionally looked good like during the fight with the female giant in the forest, but I thought the show overall missed opportunities to give us some really exciting shots. I thought there were many angles based on the sizes of the titans and the 3D gear that the characters used that could have added more interest. Visually its ok, but doesn't really stand out for me nor does it feel daring. Redline with its distortions, designs and heavy use of blacks alone make it stand out much more for me.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Things got a little more involved than I expected (like so many things), so I'll probably only really be able to put up round 2 this weekend.

I'm kind of glad that I had to take the hiatus I did though, since I think I learned something important: participation was dropping off, but when I gave a couple of more days a lot of people voted. My suspicion (which I'd like you all to verify/refute) is that you all had more time to write over the weekend, so when it came, you could vote. So I'm probably going to start and end the rounds on Sunday night instead of Friday night. I can't see that making participation worse, and i can easily see it making it better, so that's what I'll do for now.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:42 pm Reply with quote
^
That sounds like a good plan. There were some difficult matchups this week and that meant researching the titles took longer than I thought. I imagine as we get to later rounds and matchups get closer it will become even more difficult. So finishing on Sunday will be very helpful.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:54 am Reply with quote
A quick question- do you want full justification for each match up from the second round onwards?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:17 am Reply with quote
The weekend is definitely key. I think it's why Key always makes the cut off on Monday night. It's "the weekend" plus one more day for those people who thought they would get it done on the weekend but get forced to do it on Monday instead.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:56 am Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
A quick question- do you want full justification for each match up from the second round onwards?

Hasn't it typically been 3rd round onwards? It gives enough time for there to have been at least some arguments made for every series, which lets those who are unfamiliar with something get a better idea of what it is.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to look at the brackets for round two and start getting my justifications together to save myself time due to next weeks horrendous schedual Neutral
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:09 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Unicorn_Blade wrote:

Hasn't it typically been 3rd round onwards? It gives enough time for there to have been at least some arguments made for every series, which lets those who are unfamiliar with something get a better idea of what it is.

I asked because the first post says:

Quote:
6. All of your voting choices must be justified, ADDENDUM: except in round 1, where you only must justify 2 of your votes. Justification may include visual material.

So i seems the 'justify them all' was only lifted for this round?
It would be great if we did not have to justify all votes until round 3, but that is just me, I will be very pressed for time in the next few weeks and I will not have a lot of time to watch larger bits of the nominated series.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
^^^ I'm with you as I'm having to bring work home as it's so busy; meaning I don't have so much time to write up. Sad
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:05 am Reply with quote
Yea you want to give people at least the weekend to think about their votes before cutting it off.

I think it should be kept to two justifications for this round as well and then third round on justify all votes. There seems to be too few participants and you might get more dropping off otherwise.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Alright, at long last, Round 1 group D is now closed!

A lot more close calls here than other rounds, but still a fair amount of matchups that weren't close.

Madoka went toe to toe with Tezuka's 13 and came out ahead 4-3.
House of five leaves emerged victorious over Oban Star Racers 4-3.
Hidamari Sketch took out Gilgamesh 5-2.
Revolutionary Girl Utena scored a narrow victory against Fantastic Children 4-3.
Metropolis dominated Boogiepop Phantom 6-1 (I didn't have a chance to vote this time, but I'd have voted for Metropolis as well, however I think that Boogiepop is a lot stronger than most others seemed to.)
Cat Soup shut out Nagi no Asukara 7-0.
Red Garden dominated Aria (here I'd have voted for Aria personally).
Redline shut out Attack on Titan 7-0.

So thus ends round 1 of our tournament! It's been pretty interesting so far, with some upsets already.

Here we are right now.

Going into round 2, I'm going to make a couple of changes. Now, rounds will begin and end Sunday night, at midnight. For round 2, you'll be required to justify 4 of your votes. Let's go onward!
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Round 2, Group A:

A1
FLCL 1 2 3
Vs.
The Tatami Galaxy 1 2 3

A2
Mind Game 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Vs.
Tamala 2010: A Punk Cat in Space 1 2 3 4 5 6

A3
Paprika 1 2
Vs.
Trapeze 1

A4
Asura 1 2 3
Vs.
Nichijou 1 2 3 4 5

A5
Serial Experiments Lain 1 2 3 4
Vs.
Bobby's in Deep 1

A6
Soul Eater 1 2
Vs.
Kemonozume 1 2 3

A7
Katanagatari 1
Vs.
Space Dandy 1 2 3 4

A8
Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine 1 2
Vs.
Gankutsouou 1
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10