• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Japanese Haruhi Suzumiya BD Box Includes English Dub, Subtitles

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:

mdo7 wrote:
And as usual, this BD box is very expensive. But if US fans want to import it, well be careful of how you use the money.

Well, as I see it, DVD and BD sets are now more collector's items than simple means of getting to watch a show. With the prevalence of online watching (be it legal or not) physical media must change and adapt too.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but I've seen cheaper collector's item (well not from Japan but elsewhere), but don't forget this is Japan where everything is ridiculously overpriced.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SteveUzumaki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I concur with mdo7 in the fact that practically everything in Japan is overpriced.

It's awesome to see this being re-released, but even though Haruhi is my #1 favorite anime, I still can't justify spending that kind of money for the series, especially when I already own the first season, second season and movie already.

I understand that the box sets are mostly collectors items now, but it's almost criminal at the prices they ask. I've seen some Blu-Ray sets from Japan fetch prices at par or higher than the current next gen gaming consoles. That's just wrong if you ask me.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:

Well, as I see it, DVD and BD sets are now more collector's items than simple means of getting to watch a show. With the prevalence of online watching (be it legal or not) physical media must change and adapt too.

No, it shouldn't change. Just because some people like online watching, doesn't mean we all do. I still want my anime on physical media, and I don't want my only option to be expensive collector sets. I only buy those for shows I am crazy about, like Madoka Magica.

There is plenty of room for the online audience and the physical media audience..
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:48 am Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
Also, the only reason Kadokawa is re-issuing the box is the big tie-in with the pachinko game (originally devised back in 2011).

Why the 3 year wait on release? That's a strange one. And, the announced Disappearance of Yuki Nagato anime series has no bearing either? Huh.
Actar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:30 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Actar wrote:

No, it shouldn't change. Just because some people like online watching, doesn't mean we all do. I still want my anime on physical media, and I don't want my only option to be expensive collector sets. I only buy those for shows I am crazy about, like Madoka Magica.

There is plenty of room for the online audience and the physical media audience..

With changing times, people and companies have to adapt. While physical media is still a thing, it might not be anymore in the future, we never know. Video tapes and cassettes had to give way to DVDs and CDs. Soon, BDs might have to give way to digital media.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:

With changing times, people and companies have to adapt. While physical media is still a thing, it might not be anymore in the future, we never know. Video tapes and cassettes had to give way to DVDs and CDs. Soon, BDs might have to give way to digital media.

Or another type of physical media. Don't get me wrong, online media has a lot going for it. But the one thing it doesn't is the permanent presence of media. Even in the live action side of things, you can't find all the shows that you want.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2