• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Japanese Haruhi Suzumiya BD Box Includes English Dub, Subtitles

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pureevil4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:18 am Reply with quote
Shame I don't have a few hundred to drop on this set, but hopefully this could lead to furthering interest in a bd release here in the states? Wishful thinking I'm sure, but license rescues do happen.
bhl88

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:23 am Reply with quote
Pity mine was just an upscale.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:25 am Reply with quote
Man. Those were the days. Looking forward to each volume, saving my allowances to splurge on the limited editions... "Haruhi" will always be one of my all-time favorites, despite the issues I have with it in later years. For me, it represented the best time of the anime industry, the best time for KyoAni, and... well, you get the point. I'm rambling.

On topic, I would buy this in a heartbeat if we got a NA release, and I daresay I might snag this at some point down the line as an import. That dub was top-notch.
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:37 am Reply with quote
Huh, last month or so we've seen a few Haruhi related things come out. This BD, the pachinko game with the new animated video that KyoAni are doing, and the announcement of the Yuki Nagato anime. Just makes one wonder...

I hope that Madman here in Aus does a BD release. Bought their DVD editions and wouldn't mind double dipping...currently working my way through the book series and am loving the Yuki Nagato manga. Laughing
kevinx59

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:46 am Reply with quote
Still haven't seen Haruhi but this is pretty cool. Now if only a series I liked with no English release got this kind of treatment. (Since you did this Kadokawa please do the same for the Strike Witches ova's. At least subs)
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:38 am Reply with quote
They already released a BD BOX for both seasons back in 2010.
I own it.
It contains both seasons with English and Japanese audio and English subs.
Samo2222

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:45 am Reply with quote
I've read this has "partially remastered video."

Anyone got an idea if this new release will be any better than the complete Blu-Ray Box? Besides the fact that it's just the first season, that is.
chronos02

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:38 am Reply with quote
Samo8412 wrote:
I've read this has "partially remastered video."

Anyone got an idea if this new release will be any better than the complete Blu-Ray Box? Besides the fact that it's just the first season, that is.

I would pretty much like to know this too, I already own the first BD set too, and if this one has better video quality on the first season, I would seriously consider importing it.

And as they said above, the first BD set released back in 2010 already contained the English dub and English subtitles.
pluvia33

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:07 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I also bought the 2010 Japanese blu-ray Complete Box for about $350 when it came out. It's kind of weird that they're putting the first season into a new separate box now. There's no real reason to watch the series any way other than with the two seasons together anymore, placing them in chronological order (skipping however many E8s you wish). Just my opinion, I guess.

It would be nice if this is building up to a resurgence of Haruhi, both in Japan and NA. Continuing the novels, continuing the anime, getting a NA release of the blu-ray Complete Box for fans who missed or couldn't afford the JPN version, etc. We can dream.

On a side note, I can't believe the first season is going to have its 10th birthday in 21 months. Makes me feel old.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:17 am Reply with quote
And as usual, this BD box is very expensive. But if US fans want to import it, well be careful of how you use the money.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:03 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
They already released a BD BOX for both seasons back in 2010.
I own it.
It contains both seasons with English and Japanese audio and English subs.

Me also, and I loved the orchestral concert video. Philip Chu and Hiroaki Yura of Eminence conducting and solo violin playing respectively, and Aya Hirano and Minori Chihara singing.

Managed to say hello to Hiroaki Yura a few months later after an Eminence concert in Sydney and saw Minori Chihara not long after that at Animelo Summer Live 2011.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote
http://haruhi.tv/fanclub/goods_bdbox_haruhi1st.html
Quote:
本商品の映像・音声は、BD初収録となるTV版次回予告を除き、2010年11月に発売しました「涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱」ブルーレイコンプリートBOXに収録された第一期の映像・音声を、TVオンエア順に収録したものとなります。

"Excluding the next episode previews, which are being released on blu-ray for the first time, the audio/video files for the first season is the same as the previous 'The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Complete Blu-ray Box' release (sold in November 2010), but re-ordered into how they were originally broadcast."

Also, the only reason Kadokawa is re-issuing the box is the big tie-in with the pachinko game (originally devised back in 2011). That game uses the 2006 copyright, so they could only re-release the first season on BD to tie in with the multimedia strategy. This has absolutely nothing to do with any new season or North American release (though it is hilarious to read comments thinking that).
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I don't get it? A haruhi blu-ray box set already released in Japan a few years back (I have it on my shelf). That release has both the Japanese and English dub on it and subtitles. So this is a re-packaging?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
"Excluding the next episode previews, which are being released on blu-ray for the first time, the audio/video files for the first season is the same as the previous 'The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Complete Blu-ray Box' release (sold in November 2010), but re-ordered into how they were originally broadcast."

Quote:
The box set includes three Blu-ray Discs and two bonus CDs for 21,000 yen (about US$207). The box will ship on August 29.

Unless you want the extra cds, or absolutely want to have the episodes in broadcast order instead of chronological, or in the unlikely case you only want half of the series, there's not much point getting this as the previous boxset with both seasons(with aforementioned English dub and sub) is still available and can be ordered for ~$375 from various online import retailers...
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Man, I too bought the BD box set released before and I would be pissed if they gave this version a significant upgrade. Seriously, what's the rationale for re-releasing it?

mdo7 wrote:
And as usual, this BD box is very expensive. But if US fans want to import it, well be careful of how you use the money.

Well, as I see it, DVD and BD sets are now more collector's items than simple means of getting to watch a show. With the prevalence of online watching (be it legal or not) physical media must change and adapt too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2