• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fan Translator Removes Final Fantasy Type-0 English Patch

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mistress_kisara

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
SteveUzumaki wrote:

And I understand the principle of just importing the game and getting the patch, but not everyone can pay import prices. Import games cost MORE than games in the west, and then you have to factor in shipping. Plus depending on where you live you may have to pay extra taxes to get your stuff, which ends up being more money. Not everyone has the financial means to go through that.

But gaming is a WANT not a NEED you have to pay for stuff that you want.
SteveUzumaki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
mistress_kisara wrote:
SteveUzumaki wrote:

And I understand the principle of just importing the game and getting the patch, but not everyone can pay import prices. Import games cost MORE than games in the west, and then you have to factor in shipping. Plus depending on where you live you may have to pay extra taxes to get your stuff, which ends up being more money. Not everyone has the financial means to go through that.

But gaming is a WANT not a NEED you have to pay for stuff that you want.

No sh*t Sherlock. I'm just saying that not everyone can pay for an import release, when it's more cost effective for some to pay for the domestic version. Not everyone is made of money you know.
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Look on the bright side: at least the patch was completed and is circulated by fans. Certainly a better outcome than when Square shut down that chrono trigger fan game years ago.
SUPER_METR0lD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I feel any sympathy for him. The game wasn't even that old, and they started work on an unofficial translation patch. There was always a very real chance the game would still get an official release outside of Japan this early in the game. It would be different if the game was like 10 years old with no localization in sight.

Either way, it's the risk you run spending all that time and effort working on a property you don't own. Sometimes it goes your way, sometimes it doesn't. But don't whine about it when it doesn't.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:34 am Reply with quote
It got too big, people talked. If it was available once, the internet has it now.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:53 am Reply with quote
I chatted with the one of the translators of the Steins;Gate game on a Twitch chat, he was a big egotistical douchebag, claiming he was better than Funimation's translators of the Steins;Gate anime, I also found grammatical errors in the official game, he almost made me regret my purchase from JAST, but not quite. I don't feel sorry for any fan translators, if you're such a great *sarcasm* translator, you should be getting paid for it, not just giving it away for free for internet attention.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:36 am Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
I chatted with the one of the translators of the Steins;Gate game on a Twitch chat, he was a big egotistical douchebag, claiming he was better than Funimation's translators of the Steins;Gate anime, I also found grammatical errors in the official game, he almost made me regret my purchase from JAST, but not quite. I don't feel sorry for any fan translators, if you're such a great *sarcasm* translator, you should be getting paid for it, not just giving it away for free for internet attention.

Well just because they're doing it for free doesn't mean they're inferior. Actually, a lot of the times being paid is a bad thing for these kinds of projects because it means they're more likely to alter and sacrifice things for the sake of keeping a profit. Look at all the video games which get censored to have more 'wide appeal' in the west. I never really heard of a legitimate fan translation censoring out violence or sex in their work.

In Funimation's case they added in American pop culture references in their translation of Steins;Gate which weren't in the original. They do tend to localize a lot of their translations from what I've seen. I think they do it so it can appeal to non-anime fans and they hope to attract the more casual mainstream geek crowd to their stuff. If that means they have to insert Big Bang Theory and Walking Dead references into anime then they will. Fan translations doesn't really have an obligation to make a profit so they can just spit out a normal translation without worrying about the business end of it.
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:03 am Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
mglittlerobin wrote:

Well just because they're doing it for free doesn't mean they're inferior. Actually, a lot of the times being paid is a bad thing for these kinds of projects because it means they're more likely to alter and sacrifice things for the sake of keeping a profit. Look at all the video games which get censored to have more 'wide appeal' in the west. I never really heard of a legitimate fan translation censoring out violence or sex in their work.

In Funimation's case they added in American pop culture references in their translation of Steins;Gate which weren't in the original. They do tend to localize a lot of their translations from what I've seen. I think they do it so it can appeal to non-anime fans and they hope to attract the more casual mainstream geek crowd to their stuff. If that means they have to insert Big Bang Theory and Walking Dead references into anime then they will. Fan translations doesn't really have an obligation to make a profit so they can just spit out a normal translation without worrying about the business end of it.

Of course it does. Professional train, learn the crafts and linguistic patterns of a language and have a degree to back them up. Why wouldn't they be better than people who generally are not even semi-fluent in Japanese, can sometimes leave important shit untranslated, people who add unneeded f-bombs, even though Japanese doesn't have an equivalent of the word "fuck"(don't filter it, please, it's actually part of the topic) and people who are not skilled. Secondly, it's a fact Japan censors more western games than vice versa. Apply your standards to all countries, not just Japan. You should realize the fact that Japan is arguably more conservative than the US and is far more conservative(not like that's a horrible thing or anything) than Scandinavia or Germany or even France or Britain. Third, please compare the official sub of Steins Gate to the fansub and not the dub. Finally, translations are complicated. Unless something is ultra-Japanese, literal translations should be avoided. Translations convert inflections, not words.
ralphmerridew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:05 am Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Look at all the video games which get censored to have more 'wide appeal' in the west. I never really heard of a legitimate fan translation censoring out violence or sex in their work.

A number of translations (Tsukihime and Fate Stay Night by Mirror Moon, Cross Channel by Amaterasu) had two releases, one with ero and one without.

Lemnisca took fire when they announced they were cutting the ero content out completely out of Killer Queen.
eragon2890

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:23 am Reply with quote
I really couldn´t care less, it´s the internet, legal illegal bla bla bla /care, if I wanna play it I will torrent it from one of the over 9000 sites and play it anyway. I won´t have a second thought about if even for a second, and if SE has any kind of problem with that, their problem not mine. They can drop dead. A lot of my friends are playing it right now.

They were incredibly stupid to not force them to stop before they released it, it´s on the internet now and as they probably realize (if they aren´t complete morons) they will *NEVER* be able to stop people from distributing it. REmember the blu-ray keys and the highway billboard, t-shirts, etc.? Yeah, that.

I don´t have a vita and I am gonna play this game when I have time for it. I am gonna play Agito on my gamepad 2 (android, jay!) when it comes out in the west tough. They are connected and I want to play both of them, and thus I am going to do so. I don´t care what anyone else thinks about that even 1%, I am gonna push that button and play the game, period . >3
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
Of course it does. Professional train, learn the crafts and linguistic patterns of a language and have a degree to back them up.

The only thing that makes someone a professional is if it's their living The word has nothing to do with skill level. Having a degree does not make you qualified either. I'm sure we've all run into mechanics or plumbers or tech support who don't have much of a grasp on what they're doing, but then a friend of the family has to come over and fix the problem.

You have a very bias view of fan translations if that's how you view them all as. I can name quite a few fan translations that are better than the official translations. There's been plenty of fan translators who get hired by anime or game companies to translate for them. They are apparently good enough for those companies so why aren't they good enough on their own in your eyes? It's not like their knowledge suddenly increases because they got picked up by a company. It's just they're getting paid for their work now. In actuality I would say their translations might take a hit because now they have a boss they have to appease.. so we get cases where they would change something or insert a Reddit or Something Awful meme into it for no reason. Or in the case of a game like Danganronpa, they change all instances of doujinshi to fanfics out of fear anime fans wouldn't know what doujinshi are, which is kind of absurd. The fan translations kept it as doujinshi, for the record.
ralphmerridew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:09 am Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Or in the case of a game like Danganronpa, they change all instances of doujinshi to fanfics out of fear anime fans wouldn't know what doujinshi are, which is kind of absurd. The fan translations kept it as doujinshi, for the record.

More likely, fear that non-anime fans wouldn't know what doujinshi are.
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:48 am Reply with quote
@gloverrandal You're comparing translation to localization, which is a completely different beast. Translation is about getting across the right inflections. Localization is about appealing to a foreign audience and making certain aspects relateable. Translation=/=localization. Granted localization in anime is IMO a no-no, but in games, it's not really a problem. They do this in every country, even Japan. Nothing wrong with a bit of localization in games.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
AilisKnil wrote:
As consumers, we don't owe these companies anything - even our sympathy or understanding as to why they would approach a fan project like this. "It's their license, so they can do whatever they want." This is problematic; as consumers, we should be constantly trying to push the envelope for our own benefit lest we be taken advantage of.

What? Where do you think they are supposed to get the money to make the games exactly?

gloverrandal wrote:

Are you talking about dub or subtitles here? The dub is generally going to be more "accessible" as part of the localisation process (although I've seen complaints about recent Sentai dubs being too close to the subtitle translation), but even the Crunchyroll subs substituted 4chan memes for 2ch ones.
When was an anime ever sold on "Buy this show! We mention Walking Dead in one episode!!!"?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
Granted localization in anime is IMO a no-no, but in games, it's not really a problem. They do this in every country, even Japan. Nothing wrong with a bit of localization in games.

I disagree, as localization can be with anime as well as other works like books, movies, etc. Just depends on what the company/author/translator want to get across to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4