• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Multiple Choice

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
Karneval really was a disappointment. I watched the whole thing, hoping they'd get the story together but they just kept opening threads and jumping around and resolving very little. I assumed they were going to have a part 2 wherein everything would make sense, but they never did. As it's stands, I wouldn't recommend it either.

Yeah, that is my sentiment. The whole thing seemed to have been made with the hope that there would be another season, so it ends up feeling like a big nothing in the end. I didn't find it terrible, just sort of blah.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Giving us cute images of your pets is actually a very dangerous disincentive—people may stop sending pictures of their shelves at all in the hopes they'll get more adorable animals instead...
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
ChaseM wrote:
I see one problem with the review on Date A Live. Kotori does not work for the AST, but rather a rival group that does not believe in just attempting to kill the spirits, but rather sealing their destructive abilities. Hence bringing in Shido with his ability to do so via kissing.

It may be possible that Bamboo wrote "Kotori" there while thinking of Mana.

That's certainly what I'm hoping, as otherwise it might indicate a rather cursory viewing of the series.

That said, "or modeling lingerie for him (she didn't know any better)" does make me suspicious that might be the case. Anyone else here believe Kurumi didn't know exactly what she was doing in that scene?
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
^Oh Kurumi always knows what she's doing to Shido hehehe.
I liked Date A Live. Nothing amazing, but certainly entertaining. Tsunako's character designs are also awesome. My favorite episode was the one when spoiler[Shido had to juggle 3 dates on the same day at the same time]. Wanna get this set soon. And can't wait for the movie.

I wanna check out Problem Children. Some people were comparing it to No Game No Life, and the synopsis for this one does seem kind of similar. I like the bunny girl as well.

As for Karneval, it looks a bit too fabulous for my tastes.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:39 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

That's certainly what I'm hoping, as otherwise it might indicate a rather cursory viewing of the series.

"The Spirit-containing efforts are overseen by an organization called AST (the Anti-Spirit Team), who aside from combating these mysterious beings via "Combat Realizer unit" super suits, utilize the help of VN experts to help Shidō woo the ladies. "

Nope, it's right there in the review. It's not a simplification of the plot, it's outright - wait, in the hot springs episode, Kotori's forces fight the AST and it's the funniest episode of the series. How do you mess up that badly - other than skip the episode entirely?

Anyway, when I saw all of Date a Live's second season - I decided the first season was Shelfworthy for me. Watch it, all of it, and decide for yourself.

Problem Child Are Coming From Another World, Aren't They?; I had a different reaction to this series. Remember how they took all the horror and meaning out of fairy tales to stories meant for children growing older and turned them into stories for children? This series put it back in. On the surface, this series is sunshine and laughter but underneath is desolation, pain and death.

How devious is this series? Asuza's fairy spirit was the spoiler[131 child from Hamelin that drowned but she doesn't get counted get counted as one of them. When is a child not a child? When it's an infant.] I knew something was wrong when she said "Rottenfinger" like it was the only word she knew.

And when the forces of darkness are backed with the powers of the Gods, who are you going to call? Sorry, they're not available but they did very similar stories. Next best thing is Problem Children from Another World and even with all their power, it's not as clear cut as it should be because Gods.

Quote:
...just need to turn down the voice in your head that's whispering, "this is a mess."
I got that from the first episode of Karneval, never from Problem Children. Besides, instead of following Izayoi and his quest for the cure of his ennui, I followed Asuza and her search for meaning of her life of previous luxury and present uselessness. A doable character arc in ten episodes? You better believe it.

Also, "Deen!" Never got old.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:47 am Reply with quote
While I watched Karneval, I had an impression that it tried to be like Pandora Hearts, but unlike Pandora Hearts, it didn’t make sense. Besides, it was a terribly poor choice to make Nai the main character.

It’s a pity it isn’t any good, because it looks nice.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:40 am Reply with quote
Kind of made me want the manga for Karneval more to see if its very different and whatnot.

Started watching Problem Children when it came out but still need to finish it. Actually I need to finish watching Karneval too now that I think about it.
IZFSLE

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:59 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
ChaseM wrote:
I see one problem with the review on Date A Live. Kotori does not work for the AST, but rather a rival group that does not believe in just attempting to kill the spirits, but rather sealing their destructive abilities. Hence bringing in Shido with his ability to do so via kissing.

That said, "or modeling lingerie for him (she didn't know any better)" does make me suspicious that might be the case. Anyone else here believe Kurumi didn't know exactly what she was doing in that scene?

Very good points. Like, the other poster said, Kurumi always knows what she's doing. She's not clueless like Tohka. I wonder if the fanservice was too much for him so he didn't pay attention. To be honest, the fanservice was kind of dialed-down in my opinion. Sure, there were some lingerie shots, but that's not even all that bad.

As for my opinion of the three, Date A Live looked really cool so I made a blind purchase. Was it worth it? Kind of. I was really intrigued by the character designs for the spirits, and I thought that they would end up being really cool. I was mostly right with my prediction, but I still left feeling a little under-whelmed. So, I thought the first season was good but nothing spectacular. However, Date A Live II which I watched on Funimation.com, ended up being a completely watered-down harem. The only saving grace of that season was Kurumi making her appearance towards the end. Yoshino completely got shoved aside. There were only a few small cut-scenes to her watching her soap operas. That's it. The season lost focus on the dating sim apsect, and instead chose to focus on 3 random spirits who will likely never do anything for the plot again. In a nutshell, the season felt like filler. Plus, Shido dissolved 100% into a standard harem protagonist, and I really get irked by those type of characters.

On a side note regarding that, isn't it funny how rare good male MC's are nowadays? At least the girls have multiple tropes they can fit into. But guys nowadays are becoming the same cardboard cutout over and over...and over.

As for Problem Children, it looked interesting so I watched it a while back. I thought it was a complete mess. I felt so convoluted with crazy explanations, that I almost completely lost focus for the last couple episodes. It is definitely not a show I'm going to watch again.

Karneval also looked really cool. However, do to the complaints with the show I've been seeing all over the place, I've kind of lost interest. I have over 200 series on my plan to watch list, and I'm trying to only add the ones I have a good amount of interest in going forward.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:25 am Reply with quote
Little_Hawk wrote:
Well, Problem Children was interesting enough for me to start reading the fan-translated light novels, mainly because the main dude is surrounded by cute girls, but it's not a harem.

Yes it is. Kuro Usagi, Leticia (more obvious in the LNs), Asuka, and Yo have some varying degree of affection for him. The show just doesn't focus on it, and its more subtle, but one guy plus 3 or more girls is harem.

Also I can't take a review seriously when a. a harem show is being criticized for fan service, that is like criticizing a horror for having blood and violence in it, and b. when you start trying to make an animated show a soap box for social issues, and compare fictional character to real people. Honestly, we just had a plane shot down killing 290 folks, a rising death toll in Gaza, and you are upset about a fictional character dressing up like a dog girl? I don't have an issue with you not liking that scene, but leave it at that. What do you want next, redrafting the bill of rights to extend them to rocks?
IZFSLE

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:12 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Also I can't take a review seriously when a. a harem show is being criticized for fan service, that is like criticizing a horror for having blood and violence in it, and b. when you start trying to make an animated show a soap box for social issues, and compare fictional character to real people. Honestly, we just had a plane shot down killing 290 folks, a rising death toll in Gaza, and you are upset about a fictional character dressing up like a dog girl? I don't have an issue with you not liking that scene, but leave it at that. What do you want next, redrafting the bill of rights to extend them to rocks

You should take a trip to MAL and look at the reviews on any ecchi show. All of them complain about fanservice. Like you said, it's like watching an action show and saying there was too much focus on the action.

People should know what they're getting into before they watch it. I swear they're just watching this stuff so they can complain about it.

If you would like to complain about the fanservice in something like Sakurasou or Elfen Lied, then be my guest. But when you do it towards a dating sim parody and harem, well, you are wasting your breath/keystrokes.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:34 am Reply with quote
The Karneval anime was okay. Hardly great, but it wasn't bad. The manga is way, way, waaaaaaaaay better. It tells a more fluid story, the characters' backgrounds are gone into more depth, and dude-- Lemon head-shaped Nai: ADORABLE. The anime adaptation definitely did not do the manga justice.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:25 am Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Right, but the intent doesn't make it not awkward.

Absolutely right. I'm just saying that the character, Shido, isn't creepy in the show.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:58 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
The Karneval anime was okay. Hardly great, but it wasn't bad. The manga is way, way, waaaaaaaaay better. It tells a more fluid story, the characters' backgrounds are gone into more depth, and dude-- Lemon head-shaped Nai: ADORABLE.

Adorable? It depends, he reminded me about devoid of personality moe-blobs and I found him similarly uninteresting.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:59 am Reply with quote
While I don't agree with everything said in the reviews, I 100% agree with Date A Live & Problem Children being Rentals, with Karneval being perishable.

Karneval - nice intro arc there, mate.

Problem Children - Really enjoyed this one, especially some of the dark undertones to it. Want more.

Date A Live - season 1>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>season 2. I actually loved the dating sim aspect of season 1. Some of the fan service was brought about due to naïveté (thanks Google), but it never felt misplaced to me.

I actually loved the dog ears/swim suit scene because...Origami should know better! That is what I thought the point of the scene was.

And, as another poster pointed out, Date A Live II only got good when Kurumi showed up. Almost everything I enjoyed from the 1st season was non-existent in the 2nd.

Really hope that the Date A Live movie isn't a recap, need something to wash away some of the bitter taste of that 2nd season.
Puppet Master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:08 am Reply with quote
From now on you should skip shelf life and just put in pictures of the cute doggie. Laughing Now I just want to pet and hug the cute little dog. Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3