• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - I Am Not At SDCC

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
I've actually wanted Muppet Babies on DVD for a while now. Though at this point something like Hulu would be fine. Though I do feel that it is the movie clips in the show preventing it from going anywhere. I know a lot of them where Star Wars (which I guess wouldn't be an issue) but I think a bunch were Indiana Jones.

There were other stock movie clips, and even scenes from Family Ties, but yeah that's why Muppet Babies isn't on dvd.
INS Division 6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
For short 5 minute shows. I would spend $19.99 if someone would just put all of Poyopoyo on one DVD sub only, just to have it on my shelves.

Does anyone know why the early-mid 90's Spider-man animated series hasn't been fully released? I have a couple of the compilation dvds, but have not seen the all 5 seasons on dvd yet.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

wonderwomanhero wrote:
He told me some information about working in Japan in those days. he also said he did music for Cowboy Bebop but then he asked me about how he could collect royalties, he wanted to know who published/licensed the series, so I told him it was Nozomi Entertainment. I hope I didn't do anything bad by telling him, however.....
If we're talking bad things, that's either accidental or deliberate misinformation, assuming you didn't mean to type "Bandai Entertainment" instead.

Bandai? I thought Nozomi was the one that distributed the series?

[EDIT: Please trim quotes to the relevant portions ~Zalis]
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I think Shout Factory would take on Muppet Babies, if the demand was there. But Disney ain't even released the last two seasons of The Muppet Show yet, so the chances of the former happening might be dire.

Quote:
The show also occasionally used clips from popular movies, which might not be cleared for home video use.

That was a similar issue with Beavis and Butthead, right? Except that was paying for separate music videos, not movies. Personally, I think Disney and Viacom can more than afford it, but they just don't want to do the work.

Quote:
and that "corporate synergy" is highly beneficial to both sides.

Not when it stops becoming about the music, and it becomes about selling the one-hit wonder. That's why anime theme songs have generally become so terrible and unmemorable for the last 15 years or so.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

wonderwomanhero wrote:
He told me some information about working in Japan in those days. he also said he did music for Cowboy Bebop but then he asked me about how he could collect royalties, he wanted to know who published/licensed the series, so I told him it was Nozomi Entertainment. I hope I didn't do anything bad by telling him, however.....
If we're talking bad things, that's either accidental or deliberate misinformation, assuming you didn't mean to type "Bandai Entertainment" instead.

Bandai? I thought Nozomi was the one that distributed the series?

Are you talking about Cowboy Bebop or Cat's Eye?
Bebop was Bandai.

For Cat's Eye ImaginAsian gets all of the credits on the disc labels and covers, but Right Stuf definitely was involved in the distribution, and the licensing I think.
But I do not think that Right Stuf's Nozomi studio was involved. actually, I don't think that Nozomi existed yet when Cat's Eye was released.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Voice actor commentaries are usually okay. I like them better when they feature the voice director or someone else involved with production. I know in the Slayers: The Motion Picture commentary, Matt Greenfield, Cynthia Martinez, and Kelly Manison had some interesting stories to tell about ADV circa 1998 (the commentary was recorded in 2004) and how much has changed. Cynthia and Kelly also seemed to understand their characters pretty well. Slayers Premium on the other hand was a mess. It was just Cynthia and Crispin Freeman joking around...

The One Piece commentaries are usually pretty interesting, and the FUNi ones where they take questions or change the people in the commentary are usually entertaining enough. The video commentaries are pointless though. They're basically just normal commentaries, the only difference being us SEEING them recording it with the anime footage in a box in the corner (as if they were paying attention anyway...). Also, it annoys me when all they do is cuss. I have no problem with cussing, but when you're doing it so much and so blatantly on purpose, it just gets obnoxious.

When in doubt, just do simple interviews...

Lots of 80s cartoons are on DVD. The ones I've heard of are, and even obscure ones are pretty easy to find.

I do wish more anime would stick with ONE theme. It helps establish an identity or an "anthem." Classic anime from the 80s-90s had some really classic themes. They don't need to swap it every 26 episodes with the J-pop song of the week. I can understand long-running shows and viewers getting tired of a particular song, but that's why they need to be so good.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
I've actually wanted Muppet Babies on DVD for a while now. Though at this point something like Hulu would be fine. Though I do feel that it is the movie clips in the show preventing it from going anywhere. I know a lot of them where Star Wars (which I guess wouldn't be an issue) but I think a bunch were Indiana Jones.

The Star Wars and Indiana Jones clips would still pose a licensing problem since, even though the rights to make new productions featuring the characters have been bought up by Disney, Fox and Paramount still have the rights to the existing movies and, as such, the clips from the films would have to be licensed through them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I have been in SD for decades and SDCC ala 1982 was lots of fun and not so crowded, but since my daughter and I started attending Anime Expo we dropped in on SDCC in 2010 so see if it was still as fun but vowed never to go back! AX is so much better than SDCC on all levels it is ridiculous (now if only AX can handle crowd logistics). BTW, I can't stand DVD commentary no matter how I love the show. I check, but all are terminally lame and never enable the commentary track over the show itself.
ehh123

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
The interesting thing is that the users of TV Tropes actually went through the trouble of finding which overseas studios did which American cartoons. It's actually very informative.

Of course, when it came to outsourcing animation, no one did it better than TMS or their Telecom unit to be more precise. After all, they gave us scenes like this.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
For Cat's Eye ImaginAsian gets all of the credits on the disc labels and covers, but Right Stuf definitely was involved in the distribution, and the licensing I think.
But I do not think that Right Stuf's Nozomi studio was involved. actually, I don't think that Nozomi existed yet when Cat's Eye was released.
Right Stuf/Nozomi has a new release of the show. For an anime community, you people sure aren't well informed.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I do wish more anime would stick with ONE theme. It helps establish an identity or an "anthem." Classic anime from the 80s-90s had some really classic themes. They don't need to swap it every 26 episodes with the J-pop song of the week. I can understand long-running shows and viewers getting tired of a particular song, but that's why they need to be so good.
Gotta promote a new single once the song's already been released.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
Touma wrote:
Right Stuf/Nozomi has a new release of the show. For an anime community, you people sure aren't well informed.

Yes, they have a new release, but they only got the license last year. Before that ImaginAsian owned the license to Cat's Eye.
Kosaka

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the ep. 37-39 commentary track for Revolutionary Girl Utena with director Kunihiko Ikuhara and mangaka Chiho Saito; I'm glad the effort was made to subtitle it. That commentary was mainly about Utena in general, though.
exkaizer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
However, by far the best is End of Evangelion's. Man I laughed my ass off during the whole thing.

This. Between the jokes and the unexpected amounts of explanations, the End of Evangelion commentary is the only one I've ever really liked.

Funny you mention that, as I recall that commentary was kind of controversial among Eva fans for not being more serious. Taliesin Jaffe was constantly apologizing for not remembering the details of the obscure references that came up because he had to do the commentary at the last minute (there's a lot of "Yeah, that's a thing... look it up on the internet.")

And speaking of Taliesin Jaffe, I'm reminded of a commentary he did for R.O.D. The TV where he joked about beating child actors to get better performances, and then-12-year-old actress Rachel Hirschfeld gamely provided the sounds of being smacked around. That was probably the most entertainment I got out of that show.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
being inside a packed convention center sounds roughly like being locked in a car with no air conditioning and a very flatulent dog.

I laughed my ass off when I read that.
Alexander55

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It seems like everyone I know is at San Diego Comic Con this week. I am not at Comic Con, nor do I wish to be at Comic Con. In fact, I am overjoyed at I am not at Comic Con. Comic Con is loud, sweaty, overpacked, and miserable. The nearby Gas Lamp District is taken over by private parties for every imaginable TV network and production company, and you are not invited to any of them.

Honestly, I don't know anyone that actually has a good time at SDCC anymore. Even my mainstream showbiz friends basically go for their panels and their events and their parties, and then stay as far away from the show as possible. Also, it's really really hot, and being inside a packed convention center sounds roughly like being locked in a car with no air conditioning and a very flatulent dog.

San Diego's Comic-Con is anything but good. The event is overhyped far more than its worth.

Went there just once in 2012 to see what was about and never again will I step in there. The place is colossal, huge, there are all sorts of events and stuff that go on in their but you'll hardly get to attend them. You have to wait in line for about 2-4 hours just to see one panel. And tickets are too overpriced, everywhere you go you see masses of people, several who aren't even genuine about their interests but just there because of the hype.

I went there because I was hoping for some Anime/Manga related merchandise and events, I found some but not a lot. Anime/Manga are pretty sidelined in this show and in some cases, pushed to the back like how some of the anime showings were. Comic-Con is definitely not recommended for the average Anime/manga fan. Unless you're going because you're interested in the offerings by Hollywood/Marvel/DC/celebrities, I would definitely not recommend going, not even for video games.

Speaking of overcrowding, Anime Expo got like 80,000, a dramatic jump from the last time I went(in 2009 and 2010). The lines for this convention were horrible, about just as bad as Comic-con was. Had to wait 3-hours to get in the con while desperately wanted to hit the restroom. Was pretty painful. The con's getting too crowded, and there was a lot of pushing on the exhibit hall itself. I really hope SPJA fixes this problem. They either gonna have to have hire better logistics, and mail all badges OR put an attendance cap in this con, and hire better personnel. If they really hope to reach SDCC's attendance or even surpass it, there're going to have register as "for-profit", move back to Anaheim Convention Center, and hire real professionals who are capable with dealing with convention matters because at this rate, not sure if I'm gonna go again. I don't really recommend AX to compete with Comic-Con because even if they do, will it be worth it? Its not like they are suddenly going to get hype even if they got SDCC's numbers. SDCC gets hype because Hollywood's there. AX will never get as hyped as this event unless it becomes a "multi-genre" convention like it and will never get video game companies like Nintendo because they go to where the hype is situated in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6