• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Fate/stay night Anime is 'Unlimited Bladeworks,'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Videogamep

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:23 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
So, I can skip on the Unlimited Blade Works movie, and just go from Zero->Night->Unlimited Blade Works TV->Heaven's Feel movie(s), yeah?

Skip the DEEN F/SN. Putting aside whether it was a good adaptation or not (it wasn't), unless you're a completionist, it will be almost useless aside from one story line once the new anime arrives. Besides it will spoil you some of the story. I highly doubt the creators will expect people to watch an 8 year old show. They might expect that you've watched Fate/Zero. The overall rules aren't actually that hard to get unless you want to know everything in tiny details. Go with Zero->UBW TV->Heaven's Feel or better yet F/SN VN->F/Z LN or anime->UBW TV->Heaven's Feel. And, yes, the visual novel is a grind at times and will take at least 50 hours to read.

As for UBW movie, it's totally useless now. A couple of decent (And a couple not) fight scenes was all it was good for and Ufotable has already surpassed that in the PV.

I noticed while watching Stay Night that which ever one you watch first (Zero or Stay Night) will spoil you for some aspects of the second. Even though I watched Zero first, I don't think I would have enjoyed Stay Night as much without having seen Zero first. It is still probably a good idea to watch Deen's version since the Fate storyline has some important details like spoiler[the connection between Saber and Gilgamesh] and a few details about Saber's motivations that provide context for the other two routes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:36 am Reply with quote
#814572 wrote:
It is still probably a good idea to watch Deen's version since the Fate storyline has some important details like spoiler[the connection between Saber and Gilgamesh] and a few details about Saber's motivations that provide context for the other two routes.

The new anime will partly be catering to F/Z fans. I have no doubt that Saber will get a resolution here and whatever they deem necessary to get to a resolution. Besides it's two seasons, they will have to include things from Fate route and follow up storylines from Zero. The only thing I think they will leave out is the spoiler[Shirou/Saber romance].
Animerican14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:07 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
#814572 wrote:
It is still probably a good idea to watch Deen's version since the Fate storyline has some important details like spoiler[the connection between Saber and Gilgamesh] and a few details about Saber's motivations that provide context for the other two routes.

The new anime will partly be catering to F/Z fans. I have no doubt that Saber will get a resolution here and whatever they deem necessary to get to a resolution. Besides it's two seasons, they will have to include things from Fate route and follow up storylines from Zero. The only thing I think they will leave out is the spoiler[Shirou/Saber romance].

I sure hope you're right! Oh heavens I hope you're right... I never really counted on a Shirou x Saber romance really being a 'thing' in the new anime before today's announcement, especially in lieu of what we've seen in Fate/Zero and how ufotable's production is to follow the same "vector" set by it. However, I find that Saber still has too meaningful a subplot, too meaningful a struggle to reconcile with herself and her past, to not be wrapped up properly in an anime landscape post-Fate/Zero. Having Shirou dream dreams that involve Saber (spoiler[though would that be possible if he were to have those dreams related to Archer as well?]) and having the ending include something like the Fate route's Continuation of the Dream would be great to have in a new animation. I mean, if ufotable has "only" announced both an UBW-based TV anime and HF film(s?), they probably don't have plans to pursue a Fate-only route anytime soon, correct? And surely TYPE-MOON doesn't think an IOS port of Realta Nua's Fate route will be enough to tide Saber-fans over, right...? Confused

Last edited by Animerican14 on Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:18 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:09 am Reply with quote
feuerwerke wrote:
The DEEN anime is a very bad adaptation. You won't get anything re; the actual plot out of it past the Berserker fight and will only be left confused thanks to a bunch of things that they hint at that make absolutely no sense without context from the other two routes.

Exactly. And that's just watching it as a plotted show. "Why are these characters still here? Why the harem element? How is that {major plot point} even possible?"

My major indifference to the entire franchise is Saber, her story, her backstory, her personality, her everything so I am in favor of Unlimited Blade Works. So I have the movie. As I have no interest in disliking the movie, I'm staying away from this series as much as I am staying away from Fate/Zero. Yes, the Fate/zero.

What do I like about this franchise:

Rin
[end of list]
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:14 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Skip the DEEN F/SN. Putting aside whether it was a good adaptation or not (it wasn't), unless you're a completionist, it will be almost useless aside from one story line once the new anime arrives.

*sigh* Got me there...I'll give F/SN a shot.

As for VNs, they're something that I've never been too interested in. Have tried a couple, but they just don't click with me. I guess it's just a medium that I'll leave alone.

Also, F/Z LN...that only fan translated or did someone actually bring it over to the west? I don't read digital, nothing to do with legality of anything, just personal preference there.

I'll aim to get through Zero's anime. If I've got time before Unlimited Blade Works starts, I'll get around to Stay Night's anime. If not, it'll just be backlogged, where I'll eventually get to it. Laughing
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:50 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Also, F/Z LN...that only fan translated or did someone actually bring it over to the west? I don't read digital, nothing to do with legality of anything, just personal preference there.
Just amateur translations.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:51 am Reply with quote
Urobuchi has said that he won't release the F/Z novels in the US unless the F/sn VN is released first. And I'm pretty sure that's still limited to fan translations.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote
I’m indifferent about this news. On the one hand, UBW was the most irritating route to read through in the visual novel. On the other hand, having to suffer through Shirou’s bs in UBW was what really made me adore his character in Heaven’s Feel.

All in all, I’m glad I know beforehand that this adaptation will be UBW because now I can go into the show mentally prepared to deal with Shirou’s constant bitching.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Would have been cooler if HF was adapted into an anime Confused
Videogamep

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

If they're doing a movie series like Kara no Kyokai, it might actually be better than a TV anime since the movies would have an even higher budget than the TV series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
#814572 wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

If they're doing a movie series like Kara no Kyokai, it might actually be better than a TV anime since the movies would have an even higher budget than the TV series.

Yeah, people keep saying this but has anyone actually confirmed it will be a movie series? The ANN article just says it will be a movie. Is there some further info out there or are people just saying it because they want it to be true?
Videogamep

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
#814572 wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

Yeah, people keep saying this but has anyone actually confirmed it will be a movie series? The ANN article just says it will be a movie. Is there some further info out there or are people just saying it because they want it to be true?

It's just pretty likely since they couldn't adapt it properly with one movie and Ufotable did it before with Kara no Kyokai. That's why I said "if" since they haven't confirmed it and probably won't until shortly before the release.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Doing multiple films would be a wise thing to do strictly from a financial point.
Beized

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
#814572 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
#814572 wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

It's just pretty likely since they couldn't adapt it properly with one movie and Ufotable did it before with Kara no Kyokai. That's why I said "if" since they haven't confirmed it and probably won't until shortly before the release.

Thing is, Garden of Sinners was seven separate books, one movie for each book. But Heaven's Feel is a single thing, one story, and when it hits its stride things keep ramping up until the end. I don't think there's a good stopping point to use that would result in two satisfying movies, let alone more.

Anyway, all the news seems to indicate that Heaven's Feel will be "a film", and that's fine by me.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Beized wrote:
#814572 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
#814572 wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

Thing is, Garden of Sinners was seven separate books, one movie for each book. But Heaven's Feel is a single thing, one story, and when it hits its stride things keep ramping up until the end. I don't think there's a good stopping point to use that would result in two satisfying movies, let alone more.

Anyway, all the news seems to indicate that Heaven's Feel will be "a film", and that's fine by me.

It actually could still be multiple films since Japanese doesn't use articles like "a" or plurals (usually) so "a film" would be said the same as "films". All it really comes down to is that we don't know and probably won't until shortly before it's released.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6