• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Koi Kaze -- how many people accept it?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I got the first DVD of koi kaze and watched a bit on you tube and is definetly going to buy them all online of at suncoast.

I thought about the subkect matter and i know people said "this is an anime you would have to have an open mind too" so of course im like "?"

I like it. its a beautiful story despite spoiler[a brother and sister falling in love.]

It has dramatic elements and makes me want to see more each episode as thing develops. Maybe its because i know what its like to love someone you cant have. of course it wasnt spoiler[a brother of relative] like nano but its all the same to me.

spoiler[A lot of peple hate or knock it because its about a brother and sister falling in love and then consumating it later on after admitting them. ]plus how its a sin in most religions and goes against "how things should be" and i bet wholesomeness. (if thats a word.)

I love and accept this anime as is but how many people also accept this idea. also whats your opinion on the anime....evil,good?
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:39 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY, i watched this like a year-ish back and tought it was pretty damn good, it was just....just so.....drawing, I loved it
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Animefreak6969 wrote:
FINALLY, i watched this like a year-ish back and tought it was pretty damn good, it was just....just so.....drawing, I loved it

the story not only drew me in but the art in it. it seems so gentle.
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:42 pm Reply with quote
AND very beautiful
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen it, though I did order it from that last rightstuf sale. I honestly can not understand why incest is such a delicate topic for some people; they absolutely abhor the idea so much they try and make anyone who even mentions it seem like a sicko. I'm truly not for it, and despite the fact that I actually do have a little sister who adores me, I can honestly say I'm not interested (yeah... she's a selfish bitchy emo girl, 'nuf said)... HOWEVER, the truth of the matter is logic in this case. It's only a truly harmful thing genetically if it occurs over many generations, and kids don't magically have 3 legs or down syndrome when someone has kids with their cousin or sibling. I've come to accept it because I realized that to not accept it is blind ignorance and social brainwashing (I mean that in a very literal sense) based on superstitions from ages long past. [/rant]

What I can't understand about the series though, is that I've heard a number (a LARGE number) of people rant and rave about this show, but the ratings don't really match. Plus, only 268 people have even reviewed it, and for a show with as much buzz about it as I've heard, I would have imagined more people would have seen it. Maybe it's just one of those "must see" animes that always gets something else like Haibane Renmei chosen over it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I avoided this series until the recent Geneon sale. When I first heard about the show I thought it was going to be a yakamashi harem show like Love Hina or Chobits. I was pleasently surprised since it is elegant and well handled. The story is really about being rejected and looking for comfort, since almost all of the charcters have just been through a break up. The story doesn't exploit the situation (compared to many other series) and it is treated in a believable fashion. The artwork is fantastic, and the animation detail is amongst the best I've seen in tv. I would recommend this to those who like more mautre dramas like Human Crossing or the amazing Takahashi Anthology.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I avoided this series until the recent Geneon sale. When I first heard about the show I thought it was going to be a yakamashi harem show like Love Hina or Chobits. I was pleasently surprised since it is elegant and well handled. The story is really about being rejected and looking for comfort, since almost all of the charcters have just been through a break up. The story doesn't exploit the situation (compared to many other series) and it is treated in a believable fashion. The artwork is fantastic, and the animation detail is amongst the best I've seen in tv. I would recommend this to those who like more mautre dramas like Human Crossing or the amazing Takahashi Anthology.

wow i didn't know the takahashi anthology has those elements. Ill give that a buy on my next anime rounds.

human crossing ill give a look up.

Youre right. i knew it didn't exploit it but i didn't think of the comfort need. they do find comfort in one another when i think of it. i really hope to see the rest of the series.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
I like it. its a beautiful story despite spoiler[a brother and sister falling in love.]

I think it's a beautiful story because of the sibling relationship. It wouldn't be nearly as powerful a story if it wasn't these two particular people who fell in love with each other.

I have to admit... when someone just says the word "incest" I think of, like, cross-eyed rednecks who all marry their cousins. And I know it's biologically unsafe. And because of the social stigma I was raised with, the thought of it is kinda gross. What I love is, in SPITE of all that, I was still rooting for Koshiro and Nanoka with all my heart. In spite of that flashback episode, when you see Koshiro and Nanoka as children with a normal sibling relationship, and it really drives home the point: this is a real brother and sister. In spite of all the discomfort I felt when Koshiro spoiler[smelled Nanoka's bra and then masturbated]. In spite of all that, I wanted their relationship to work out. When Koshiro's friend (can't remember her name, gah) spoiler[called him sick and perverted] I wanted to intercede and yell "Nooooo! It's not like that, you just don't understand!" It's an amazing series that can draw me in so successfully. They never let you forget it's a taboo romance, but in the end you just don't care. Love conquers all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
IvoryBirch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:

Hm, I don't think this is really a spoiler since it's the main plot point of the story...

Anyhow, I'm a fan of "forbidden love" stories, and brother-sister incest doesn't really bother me (maybe because I don't have a brother), so Koi Kaze was right up my alley. The premise could easily have led to lots fanservice and/or smut, but (thankfully) the show handled its subject matter beautifully. It's possibly the most emotionally charged anime I've ever seen (and I've watched quite a bit of shoujo); even though I share almost nothing in common with Koshirou, I often found myself empathizing with him.

Still, despite the fact that I love this series, I'm hesitant to recommend it to others because of its subject matter.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Do I accept Koi Kaze? I must considering that I just bought the box set from DVD Pacific. The premise struck me as interesting because it seems to tackle a "much heated subject" in a mature way versus dealing with it just because it's a taboo.

Anyway, as far as incest goes, I don't really have a problem with it. I don't flow that way but can easily respect the people that do so as long no babies are produced as a result. I just find it ridiculous that it seems to be common in human nature to be repulsed by something out of the norm or rather what society puts upon you, and it really isn't anything harmful or intruding.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Nice seeing so much love for Koi Kaze, personally I've never come across such an emotionally taxing romantic story, I almost screamed in joy when things finaly turned out the way they did.

Anyone know if the manga ever got licenced? It has the same visual style and paces the story a little bit better than the anime. Not to mention no silly negative forshadowing at the end.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:31 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
What I can't understand about the series though, is that I've heard a number (a LARGE number) of people rant and rave about this show, but the ratings don't really match. Plus, only 268 people have even reviewed it, and for a show with as much buzz about it as I've heard, I would have imagined more people would have seen it. Maybe it's just one of those "must see" animes that always gets something else like Haibane Renmei chosen over it.
My guess is that some people claim to have seen it and rave about it just because they think it will make them sound cool. Also, a lot of people who have seen it and liked it probably feel uncomfortable actually putting their impressions down for fear of coming across as perverted.

Personally, Koi Kaze struck me as one of the strongest and most emotional series I'd ever seen. The idea of incest doesn't bother me all that much, although I'm not exactly comfortable with it outside of a fictional setting. As long as it isn't forced (in other words, rape) then I can't really get that worked up.

I don't get it myself. I'm not attracted to my sister at all. However, I could understand how in real life someone could be attracted to their sibling, especially if they were in the same situation as the characters in Koi Kaze.

I'm a conservative person on religious and political matters with a few exceptions. Sexuality is one of those. I don't see any reason for the government to have any say in who someone wants to have sex with if it's consensual. (Again, when it turns into rape, I want some parts to get chopped off. Twisted Evil To me, rape is more sickening than murder.)

Religions have a right to make whatever statements for or against something that they want. They are private organizations and therefore have the right to condemn whatever practices and to exclude whichever individuals they choose. (This extends only to property and events, no one can actually control what a person's faith is and ultimately it is the deity of your choice who decides if you really are a member of the relgion or not.)

However, religious leaders would do well to remember that God gave humans freedom to make our on choices. We decide what we do with our lives.

I would never reject a person for having incestuous desires or having acted upon them. I try to be very open and receptive to everyone who has not actively tried to destroy someone's life, innocence, sense of security, etc.

So, to sum it up, yes I accept and embrace Koi Kaze. As to the question of the series moral status: it's a fictional story and that means it has no moral value either positive or negative. If it were a real story, my personal view of the morality of what ultimately occured in the story would be that love itself is not evil, regardless of who it leads a person too.
Espeon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I watched it a while back, I didn't much like the whole fact at the end with the spoiler[whole being rapted up in a blanket naked thing sorta turns me off anime like that] but I did like the background animation just like how i like the animation in Saikano.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:03 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
I've never seen it, though I did order it from that last rightstuf sale.

Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I avoided this series until the recent Geneon sale.

Ah, two people I now know that have done the same thing that I did. However I did not hear of this series or know what it was about until I read the summary when I ordered it.
selenta wrote:
I honestly can not understand why incest is such a delicate topic for some people; they absolutely abhor the idea so much they try and make anyone who even mentions it seem like a sicko.

There are a couple issues behind this "taboo" subject. However I'm not going to go into detail. This same subject can be seen and read about in Angel Sanctuary, however the excuse behind this story was that their bodies were reincarnations of their previous lives. As far as Christianity is concerned, God said not to have a relation between brother and sister as it is impure. Do I accept it? I will not say. Would I do it? No. Why? My moral standards and the genetic issues that I have heard surrounding this issue.
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I have absolutely no problem with the incest in anything like Koi kaze or Boku wa Imouto ni Koi wo Suru Kono Koi wa Himitsu , that was pretty good too however totally contradicting at many points, anyway I have no problem with anything as long as it makes for a good show or story or at LEAST slightly intertaining in whatever way it will be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8