• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon Adventure Anime Returns Next Spring in High School Sequel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Speaking of which, people round these parts are forgetting that Tamers retconned the first two seasons into being just shows within a show.

Only the dub tried to say Adventure and 02 were shows in Tamers, which is silly considering how much stuff later on in Tamers specifically crosses over with the Adventures universe like Ryou and Apocalymon. Then much later, Xros Wars. In the original Japanese version it was just a separate dimension/reality.

A sequel to Tamers would be weird considering they said the kids never saw their Digimon ever again. Unless they decide to retcon that out it'd be a boring sequel with no Digimon, or focus on a new cast of kids in the Tamersverse. Post 02 where Digimon and Humans now live together seems like a more interesting setting for a Digimon series, perhaps going into humans trying to use Digimon for their own wars and crimes and stuff
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:
Maybe now we get to see why spoiler[Matt and Sora] end up together I always hated the fact that they did cause it seemed like it came out of nowhere while spoiler[Tai and Sora] got all the development in the very first season it just didn't make any sense to me as a kid and now an adult. This will be a nice way to see how their relationship developed between Zero Two and its epilogue. Maybe I'll come to like it. Smile

Agree completely even being somewhat older when both seasons aired that's what it felt like, lol.

Angel'sArcanum wrote:
I wonder if the Blu-Ray treatment will extend to the other series and if we will get any Blu-Rays here. I'm hopeful.

Would buy and I'd probably even double dip on some of the seasons I've bought those recent sets of.

belvadeer wrote:
#820645 wrote:
You guys can definitely try to get the VA back. It works if you really put the effort into it. I tell you this from experience.

Minus Joshua Seth. They'll need to come up with a new voice for Tai, as you all know.

He was such a great Tai. I miss him voicing characters.

Kadmos1 wrote:
If they could retcon the ending so that it's Taiora and not Sorato, the staff would be making many viewers like me happy.

So true.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
#820645 wrote:
You guys can definitely try to get the VA back. It works if you really put the effort into it. I tell you this from experience.

Minus Joshua Seth. They'll need to come up with a new voice for Tai, as you all know.

I think he had a QA session on Reddit way back when the Xros Wars crossover happened, and he said he would be interested to voice Tai again for those eps if he was asked. So at this point, who knows?

Jason Spisak was a pretty good Tai in the second Diaboromon movie though.
Mahzes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Wish this was a Tamers sequel instead.

Speaking of which, people round these parts are forgetting that Tamers retconned the first two seasons into being just shows within a show.

This was strictly only in the dub. The Japanese version did absolutely nothing of the sort.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Mahzes wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Wish this was a Tamers sequel instead.

This was strictly only in the dub. The Japanese version did absolutely nothing of the sort.

I thought they did, except that the Digimon show that the Tamers watch wasn't specifically Adventure. At least that's how I took it all these years (because I'd thought Tamers was set long after 02)
Lavnovice9 wrote:
A sequel to Tamers would be weird considering they said the kids never saw their Digimon ever again.

Watch Runaway Locomon.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
I think he had a QA session on Reddit way back when the Xros Wars crossover happened, and he said he would be interested to voice Tai again for those eps if he was asked. So at this point, who knows?

Jason Spisak was a pretty good Tai in the second Diaboromon movie though.

Well that's news to me (then again, I'm not keen on Reddit). Here I thought he was done with the whole voice acting schtick. I guess when you truly loved what you were doing, you don't completely want to stay away from it.

Jason is a great voice actor. If Joshua can't return for whatever reason, I'm totally fine with Spisak taking over the role.
patrick.enfield.9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:09 pm Reply with quote
MY HEART AND MY SOUL TELL ME TO BUY THE BLURAY NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT COSTS Q__Q

DIGIMON IS MAGIC

When I have a kid myself I want him/her to watch digimon and become at least half as awesome As I am now. Because Al I became is thanks to digimon. Digimon saved my soul in this crazy world where jersey shore and mtv try to make you a pervert swag fag retard
Digimon Rebirth Project

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
And I MUCH prefer this over remaking the series. Sailor Moon Crystal works because it's less fillery like its source material. Can't think of how that'd work with a (largely) original story and characters.

We actually created a Digimon fan page on Facebook called Digimon Rebirth Project and started posting in places mentioning a reboot directly to some of the companies that hold licensing rights as well as attempting to get through to Toei on their company Facebook page. Another thing people need to consider is Netflix does bring stuff back from the dead.

Have you noticed the rise in attention to the Digimon fandom? If you look on tumblr, deviantart, and pixiv there is Digimon art all the time and since it's August 1st even more. This season is great news for Digimon fans but a reboot would have been better. Now hear me out. Anime as a whole and it's fandom of cons and cleaner animation and darker themes has evolved Anime and it's fans.

Digimon season 1-3 proved to show real character depth and emotion. A series reboot could potentially aim for the original fans and be more mature with a new cleaner anime style. We definitely don't want whoever created the Digimon Fusion digimon, they all look like mecha. Like we never did see what happened between Matt, Tai, and Sora. A season 1 reboot could also introduce the season 2 characters earlier in new ways. I think it would be acceptable if the characters and the story stays true to it's origin, but it could take a new path, new digivolutions, new story elements, characters etc to achieve this. This would give fans something new with something beloved. Then season 2 could actually be mixed in later on. And no final ending this time. It's just one idea. I have talked to a lot of Digimon fans who have stayed active over the years who want this more than anything else. And i know a lot of people want a Tamers sequel.

I will be satisfied with a sequel of season 1 though for now. My page and my goal though is to find out where the most active Digimon fans are in the US and try to start a Digimon themed convention there in 2016.

Last edited by Digimon Rebirth Project on Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
Watch Runaway Locomon.

Yeah I know but Runaway Locomon isn't canon. Chiaki Konaka wasn't involved in the production of it. The canon ending is the Drama CD "Message in the Packet"
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I can't even describe how excited this makes me. Digimon is the whole reason I got into anime. This is fantastic news! Very Happy
Digimon Rebirth Project

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:

Maybe this time they might focus on the whole daemon and dark spores arc that was shown in adventure 02 but was left unresolved as well the the dragomon dark ocean story which was also left unresolved

I also pondered this.

Veniamin wrote:
I kinda hope Saban doesn't get it. It's a shame that I never got to hear Butterfly when it was originally bought in the west and dealing with dialogue changes. Sad

The music in the english inside the series is very well liked by most American fans.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I just realized what bothers me about 02's epilogue. Yes, the kids went through a lot together. But having all of them marry within that same group of 12 kids? Totally unrealistic. One or two couples, maybe, but there should've been outside spouses.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I hope the rest of the digimon series and movies receive a blu-ray release too. Hopefully we can get blu-ray releases for the dub too.

I really hope Saban picks this up. I don't care if some cast changes are made as half the cast have retired from voice acting or inactive.

Also, Saban really needs to release the rest of the movies on dvd or blu-ray.

Dub aside, I hope someone such as crunchyroll at least gives a subbed version available for streaming.
SolidSnake1111

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
This is fantastic news. I really doubt the anime will retcon anything but instead go towards what's set out in the epilogue. I'm really interested in a new plotline starring our favorite original protagonists!

I wonder if the 02 kids are going to play minor roles to Tai etc. (the reverse of 02)?

Finny-chan wrote:
Maybe now we get to see why spoiler[Matt and Sora] end up together I always hated the fact that they did cause it seemed like it came out of nowhere while spoiler[Tai and Sora] got all the development in the very first season it just didn't make any sense to me as a kid and now an adult. This will be a nice way to see how their relationship developed between Zero Two and its epilogue. Maybe I'll come to like it. Smile

This helped me. http://jippy-kandi.tumblr.com/post/51900665766/digimon-creator-speaks-about-sorato-and-taiora-behind

Very insightful. The person who interviewed the director also writes really good analyses on Sorato/Taiora. This one's really interesting and was an eye-opener to me and made me go and watch the sub to see what else was changed. http://jippy-kandi.tumblr.com/post/57207225067/sorato-taiora-original-japanese-versus-english

I like the sub a lot better than the dub, not just for shipping reasons, but it was better done overall. And I can see why Sorato fans dislike the dub, since it inserts practically everything Taiora. At least now the new show can really develop Sorato. I've never minded it to be honest. They seemed like a better match than Taiora.

I hope ships remain just a side thing though. The show has more important things to deal with. I can't wait!

Dessa wrote:
I just realized what bothers me about 02's epilogue. Yes, the kids went through a lot together. But having all of them marry within that same group of 12 kids? Totally unrealistic. One or two couples, maybe, but there should've been outside spouses.

There were only two couples though? Just Sora and Yamato, and Ken and Miyako. Everyone else had outside spouses.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

...Wait, wasn't that exactly what happened?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10