• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon Adventure Anime Returns Next Spring in High School Sequel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
#820645 wrote:
You guys can definitely try to get the VA back. It works if you really put the effort into it. I tell you this from experience.

Minus Joshua Seth. They'll need to come up with a new voice for Tai, as you all know.

I think he had a QA session on Reddit way back when the Xros Wars crossover happened, and he said he would be interested to voice Tai again for those eps if he was asked. So at this point, who knows?

Jason Spisak was a pretty good Tai in the second Diaboromon movie though.

Big difference coming back for a few episodes compared to potentially at a season of probably at least 20 episodes.

In my opinion, he probably does want to voice Tai again but he's probably gonna be unavailable cause nowadays he's too busy.

Im personally not too fussed about it, as I understand it's been over 10 years since he's last voiced the character as well as his circumstances had changed since then. I'll just be happy and thankful that it even gets a dub (assuming it does) and him coming back would just be a bonus.
Geninja

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
You have to wonder though. Is this a reboot of 02? Will it continue after 02? Will it acknowledge the epilogue or will it be a complete reboot of 02.

Going from the vibe of the trailer it may be a reboot of 02. The reason I say that is because there was not a single shot of any of the characters from 02 nor even the digimon.

So I wonder if this one may focus on a brand new story of the Original 8 which will follow Adventure 01 canon but will reboot 02.

Personally I'm fine with whatever way they go because we're getting Digimon back. My child self is spazzing and also my "couple side" is hoping that they can possibly get T.K/Kari together. But that's not even my main focus. Main focus is Digimon, legit Digimon is coming back.

Quote:
Big difference coming back for a few episodes compared to potentially at a season of probably at least 20 episodes.

At least? Wasn't the original 50 episodes? Could be the same.
SolidSnake1111

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
AutoOps007 wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
#820645 wrote:
You guys can definitely try to get the VA back. It works if you really put the effort into it. I tell you this from experience.

Minus Joshua Seth. They'll need to come up with a new voice for Tai, as you all know.

I think he had a QA session on Reddit way back when the Xros Wars crossover happened, and he said he would be interested to voice Tai again for those eps if he was asked. So at this point, who knows?

Jason Spisak was a pretty good Tai in the second Diaboromon movie though.

In my opinion, he probably does want to voice Tai again but he's probably gonna be unavailable cause nowadays he's too busy.

Im personally not too fussed about it, as I understand it's been over 10 years since he's last voiced the character as well as his circumstances had changed since then. I'll just be happy and thankful that it even gets a dub (assuming it does) and him coming back would just be a bonus.

Man I really want Joshua Seth to voice Tai. Jason Spisak sounded like Joe in the movie.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
AutoOps007 wrote:
I hope the rest of the digimon series and movies receive a blu-ray release too. Hopefully we can get blu-ray releases for the dub too.

Apparently, the Blu-ray box is marked "1999-2006" which would include all the movies. I think the big question is, will Digimon X-Evolution, the eighth movie with no connection to any TV series and is CGI, be included.

EDIT: According to Toei's page, which ANN doesn't link to, nope, doesn't look like Movie 8 will be on this.

Last edited by Nonaka Machine Gun B on Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
Dessa wrote:
I just realized what bothers me about 02's epilogue. Yes, the kids went through a lot together. But having all of them marry within that same group of 12 kids? Totally unrealistic. One or two couples, maybe, but there should've been outside spouses.

...Wait, wasn't that exactly what happened?

It was, but the series sunk its biggest ships, especially Takari. Takari never happening was like getting kicked in the groin repeatedly... in the form of a children's anime series.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Geninja wrote:

54, in total, not counting the first 'movie.'

Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:

Apparently, the Blu-ray box is marked "1999-2006" which would include all the movies. I think the big question is, will Digimon X-Evolution, the eighth movie with no connection to any TV series and is CGI, be included.

It's got the movies starting from Adventure all the way up to Savers. iirc, IMAGI (the animation studio behind X-Evolution) went under a couple years so I doubt it even has HD Masters.
midori kou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Late to the hype party, but I'm excited for this. I hope the original cast can return. I know a few haven't been on the radar for a while. (I'm looking at you, Yuuto Kazama.) I hope the story is worth it. As long it doesn't end like 02, I'm totally on board.

Maybe we finally get more insight about the Dark Ocean World.
Geninja

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
Dessa wrote:
I just realized what bothers me about 02's epilogue. Yes, the kids went through a lot together. But having all of them marry within that same group of 12 kids? Totally unrealistic. One or two couples, maybe, but there should've been outside spouses.

...Wait, wasn't that exactly what happened?

It was, but the series sunk its biggest ships, especially Takari. Takari never happening was like getting kicked in the groin repeatedly... in the form of a children's anime series.

Hey cheer up you never know maybe the new anime will get Takari together.

I'm just happy Digimon is back.
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how many fans here actually grew up with the Japanese version. (Anime smallmouth)
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
The movies were so good, the TV show? Not so much. I got the privilege of seeing them raw out of Japan.
Digimon Rebirth Project

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:28 pm Reply with quote
SolidSnake1111 wrote:
I like the sub a lot better than the dub, not just for shipping reasons, but it was better done overall.

I have only seen seasons 1-3 dubbed. Some of season 4 dubbed and some of season 5 subbed.

Besides these differences between Japanese & English versions......

- Removal of Violence, especially with guns and maybe censorship of cleavage?
- Differences of voices between casts
- English version i've heard tries to make it more funny with dialogue choices
- Name differences
- Music, some like the Japanese songs, some like the English songs.

Honestly i didn't include the relationship stuff because it doesn't seem like either really felt the need to establish relationships of matt and sora or sora and tai and i dont think a small hint in one or two episodes is enough. This is more of something created by fans.

So besides the above how else is Digimon really different in English than Japanese? Saying it is better just because isn't valid. And really i am open to watching season 1 for the 4th time but it will be in Japanese for the first time if there are some big differences but small differences doesn't really put one over the other.

It most likely just comes down to nostalgia and what people saw it in first so realistically we should support the original cast of each to reprise their roles. I think one thing is certain, they could aim for Anime fans and not just kids on nicktoons. I think they should make this new anime more mature and aim for an older audience 15-30?
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Geninja wrote:
You have to wonder though. Is this a reboot of 02? Will it continue after 02? Will it acknowledge the epilogue or will it be a complete reboot of 02.

Going from the vibe of the trailer it may be a reboot of 02. The reason I say that is because there was not a single shot of any of the characters from 02 nor even the digimon.

So I wonder if this one may focus on a brand new story of the Original 8 which will follow Adventure 01 canon but will reboot 02.

Personally I'm fine with whatever way they go because we're getting Digimon back. My child self is spazzing and also my "couple side" is hoping that they can possibly get T.K/Kari together. But that's not even my main focus. Main focus is Digimon, legit Digimon is coming back.

Quote:

just because the original was 50 episodes, doesn't mean this one will. i said at least 20 because i don't think there would be any less then 20 episodes. im not saying it's gonna be 20, im just predicting at least 20.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
No english subs on the blu-ray? Sad Anime cry
ShindoW

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I dislike Sorato and its my main turn off of this 02 sequel/retcon-sequel.

Here's hoping they keep the 02 stuff and build on plotholes and trash the epilogue altogether.
Crystal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

Isn't that exactly what happened?

Guys, just because people want a couple to happen, doesn't mean making it happen will be a good idea. If it actually *does* happen, I'm sure people will complain that it's totally pandering to older online fans, to shippers. It doesn't usually mean good writing. "They should make Taiora happen instead!" I'm sure people will see that as deliberately catering to fans.

And there's no animosity between Taichi, Yamato and Sora in canon. One of the things I really dig bout Yamato and Sora's relationship is (at least in the original), there isn't a ton of focus (and as a result, no drama) when they hook up. They're pretty much in the background, often together or interacting, but no one comments about their relationship, and Jun's flashback to it has no dialogue/narration. I like that sort of subtlety and how the series is still focusing on Oikawa/BlackWarGreymon/Dark Seed Children/Ken instead.

And it bugs me that people are always giving flack to Sentai, Aniplex, FUNimation dubs but are totally fine with "DIGIVOLVE!" I mean, people flip out over debated translations for unedited dubs with the same music and names, but "DigiDestined" for Chosen Children is OK? I mean, dubbing is a lot better now than it was in 1999. And when I discover unedited dubs from that era, they seem a little off compared to now. Why would Digimon be the stand-out?

This tumblr is good at pointing out a lot of things wrong with the dub, and compared to Digimon Uncensored, I feel like it's able to do it without "raging" too much and just calling things "stupid."

And a lot of the problems with the Digimon dub are the same ones I see in the Sailor Moon dub--changed music (they were both scored by the same guy, Takanori Arisawa, RIP), changed names (some of the original names being more to the point and less goofy Dark Kingdom for "Negaverse," "Chosen Children" for Digidestined), lots of Japanese references removed, lots of dumb jokes especially in scenes without talking originally which also resulted in lots of inconsistencies (they keep making references to their family/home life which later get contradicted later on like "Matt and TK" being half-brothers, Mimi having a brother, "Kari" saying "we can't have pets" right after we've seen plenty of her cat) and some lines which makes the characters a little more jerkish in scenes, lots of subtleties or implications lost (notably Taichi talking to Sora on Christmas), characters' gender changed (Zoicite and FishEye in Sailor Moon, Lopmon and RhodoKnightmon(?) here).

I mean, if those unedited anime were dubbed like Digimon was, would people be less critical of them?

And I really hope this new work does match up with the original show, I wouldn't want them to make it more like the English version to cater to its foreign audience, much like how Pokemon is less violent/has less Japanese references than its earlier days because its now aware of what can be edited in the English version. Although most foreign dubs outside English and French-speaking were uncut (German, Spanish, Portuguese), so maybe it still will write it for a Japanese audience? No wonder Digimon popular in Mexico and I think Koji Wada did some concerts at cons in Latin America.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10