• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Rurouni Kenshin Sequel Earns Best Opening Among 2014 Japanese Live-Action Films

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UkiyaSeed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:21 am Reply with quote
About the Philippine premiere one, the August 6th one is the premiere day. The film will open in the Philippines nationwide on August 21 with the 3rd film premiering on September 24.

www.rappler.com/entertainment/movies/64795-rurouni-kenshin-movie-cast-characters
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:15 am Reply with quote
Great news! I hope these do well enough to get some wheels turning for a Recollections movie and a couple of Revenge movies to finish it out.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Great news! I hope these do well enough to get some wheels turning for a Recollections movie and a couple of Revenge movies to finish it out.

I have a feeling the "Recollections" will be a flashback within one of the Revenge movies; I don't see them wanting to make an entire film out of a flashback, nor spoiling the big reveal in the Revenge arc where the flashback originally takes place in the manga.

But yay for being #1! Of course, I can't help but compare the total for their big opening ($8 million) with the opening for America's #1 the same weekend (Guardians of the Galaxy at $94 million). People don't go to see movies in Japan the way they do in America.
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Watched this on Sunday in Montreal with Keishi Otomo there for a Q&A after. As expected the movie did not disappoint! Definitely this years best movie.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
all about the total, who care about first day or last day.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:18 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
all about the total, who care about first day or last day.

Making back over half your budget in three days is a good sign of how it's going to do, though - and it's opening in Manila this week as well.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
vanfanel wrote:

I have a feeling the "Recollections" will be a flashback within one of the Revenge movies; I don't see them wanting to make an entire film out of a flashback, nor spoiling the big reveal in the Revenge arc where the flashback originally takes place in the manga.

But yay for being #1! Of course, I can't help but compare the total for their big opening ($8 million) with the opening for America's #1 the same weekend (Guardians of the Galaxy at $94 million). People don't go to see movies in Japan the way they do in America.

The Japanese box office is far less frontloaded than the American box office, especially in the summer during which most movies can bet on an opening weekend multiplier of around 7-8.

In the US, even the movies with the best world of mouth have a hard time getting such multipliers. Frozen's for example is just below 6, In Japan, it's over 30 !!!

Also, tickets are very expensive in Japan and the average person goes to the movies only once a year which explains why the Box office was a long time the 2nd biggest box office in the world in terms of revenue (now third behind China and the US) yet never the 2nd highest in terms of admissions with countries like India (which makes sense) or France (half the population) having higher overall admissions.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Kutsu wrote:
Also, tickets are very expensive in Japan and the average person goes to the movies only once a year

Yes, I lived there for two years, and I went to see movies almost once a month, and all my students thought that was "a lot." Very Happy Thanks for the information on frontloading, I haven't followed the trends of how sales work in Japan vs the US. That's very promising - the two movies together were $30 million, and a 7-8 multiplier on $8 million would more than earn their budget back just with the first film.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Kutsu wrote:
Also, tickets are very expensive in Japan and the average person goes to the movies only once a year

Yes, I lived there for two years, and I went to see movies almost once a month, and all my students thought that was "a lot." Very Happy Thanks for the information on frontloading, I haven't followed the trends of how sales work in Japan vs the US. That's very promising - the two movies together were $30 million, and a 7-8 multiplier on $8 million would more than earn their budget back just with the first film.

The 7-8 multiplier is for the 2 day weekend (the usual timeframe used for the Japanese box office) so $5.8 million. If you're using the 3 day weekend, the multiplier will probably fall around 5 which would still be very impressive for any market...except Japan. ^^
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Kutsu wrote:
The 7-8 multiplier is for the 2 day weekend (the usual timeframe used for the Japanese box office) so $5.8 million. If you're using the 3 day weekend, the multiplier will probably fall around 5 which would still be very impressive for any market...except Japan. ^^

Still puts it at potentially $40 million for the first film, if your estimate is correct. I imagine it'll have a spike this Wednesday thanks to Lady's Day as well... plus it just opened in the Philippines as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1