• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Busou Renkin (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Just finished 6-8 and I have to say Papillon's a rather.. interesting type of villain. Can't say I've ever seen a bad guy act so pervertedly fruity, yet still remain so scary at what he's potentially capable of.

You should watch Inukami! they have some of the most pervertedly fruity villians ever...just thinking about it makes me laugh. Laughing
tebalith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:56 am Reply with quote
hayakunero wrote:
I watched Busou Renkin last night. And I heard lyrics to an old song: Sawada Kenji's Samurai. Laughing
Has anyone ever heard of this song? Very Happy
Katateni pistol
Kokoroni hanataba
Kuchibiruni hino sake
Senakani jinseiwo ah ah ah ah~~~

Surprised Hey, cool, I did not know that those were song lyrics! Thanks, that's cool trivia.
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Saw episode 8 spoiler[and I got this Rurouni Kenshin feeling from the fight between Shuusui and Mutou. Then the obvious Kenshin connection with the name of Shuusui's sword being "Sword Samurai X". Any ways I think this was one of the best episodes so far since it gave me the same feeling of action I got with the Rurouni Kenshin and that made me happy. If this keeps up and if it gets licensed it is going to have a place next to Kenshin on my shelf. Very Happy But yes this episode brought back my faith in this series....the incest at the end didn't really catch me off guard but I didn't think that would be their wish since the way the flash backs had it look it seemed like something more deeper .]
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I fell in love with the series. I decided to watch it following Tony K-sama's advice (he never knew it Anime hyper), and I never thought it'd be so well made.

However, what I like the most is the OP n____n... That song's really cool (have it in my iPod now n___n)

Only bad thing... I HATE Papillon. He's just too much of a degenerado (sorry, no English for this one by now), and seeing how he doesn't mind going around in his... underwear, or even stark naked sickens me (spoiler[I really did puke seeing that XP])
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Si he is, Papillon really creeped me out though since he would pop up everywhere but I found that the public bath episode was so funny I mean that was just wrong but funny at the same time.
bennyb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:03 am Reply with quote
This is one of my new favorite anime. Like someone said earlier, the series fully admits to being a shonen cliche and does so with full force. I enjoy the characters for the mostpart, good action comedy mix, altho some aspects can be a bit too predictable, like (I spoiler this because I made a prediction and someone else confirmed on a different board) spoiler[the siblings are obviously gonna become good guys now]. All in all I enjoy it for what it is, can't say I'd ever go out of my way to purchase it tho.
omar235

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Well I haven't posted in this for a while...heh...anyways episode 14spoiler[ has revealed what I think is pobably one of the coolest villians I have seen in a while for a while I mean Victor was just so awsome. I mean he absorbs power and he has a twisted double Ax that crushes most Arms Alchemy. (he sorta reminded me of one of Spawn's (from Soul Calibur 2: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spawn_(comics)]Spawn[/url]) Ax's you can unlock. Anyways he also has skin that apparently only Kazuki could peirce so far. When he appeared I got the same feeling I got when Jin from Black Lagoon appeared that sort of "I know I am a badass but I don't need to show that to you unless you prove your worthy" kinda feel which I usally get from some of the best villians in other shounens. Then there was the whole Kazuki transformation into what Victor is which is refered to the third kind.] I really am liking this series even though a few of the episodes threw me off. It is too bad it is half way over.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that scene was cool. I was wondering when they'd reach the point of Kazuki's 6-koma in JUS.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:05 am Reply with quote
Had a chance to watch 12-14 yesterday. I have to say I really like the musical score. Kouhei Tanaka does a great job using a lot of trumpet and strings for building drama and producing a real "let's go!" atmosphere. The OP really helps too. The one little snip of Kazuki's friends cheering from the windows of the school symbolizes this series very well; "friendship will get you through the tough times, help you surpass your limits, and go all out! (*raises fist*)!"

Another intersting twist is that I'm finding myself cheering for Papillon. As fruity as his character is, and considering he's suppose to be a villain, he has a certain charisma in how he carries himself, and I admire his determination to go beyond himself. spoiler[ Great little metaphor of comparing himself and his grandfather to moths that can only fly a certain distance. It's essentially how one could define ambition in life. But then you have Kazuki who just wants to protect everyone for the sake of maintaing equilibrium. Then again, he's pretty happy-go-lucky. He seems to see the good in most people, unless they're homunculi. It's anice contrast of beliefs here.]

Also, it's great to hear Tomokazu Seki as Moonface. spoiler[ That whole "Moon~" thing is hilarious. But to balance things out, he's got a pretty sweet Kakugane ability. Multplying into 30 different, yet interconnecting forms. And there's no way to defeat him unless you get all 30 at once?! I'm sure Capt. Bravo will either beat him, or he (Moonface) will somehow escape.]

spoiler[ And Victor, he seems to be representitive of the typical bad-ass villain with the seemingly unbeatable body and skill. However, seeing as how Kazuki got that Black Kakugane at the end, it can almost be certain that these two will face each other either soon or as the last battle.]

But there are still so many characters I saw in the OP. The pace doesn't feel too rushed, but it'd be nice if the series went a little longer than 26 episodes. Oh, well. I'm still enjoying it. Glad I saw the anime first. The manga should be a very good read now that I have some voices and personalities to hear in my head.
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:46 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Had a chance to watch 12-14 yesterday. I have to say I really like the musical score. Kouhei Tanaka does a great job using a lot of trumpet and strings for building drama and producing a real "let's go!" atmosphere. The OP really helps too. The one little snip of Kazuki's friends cheering from the windows of the school symbolizes this series very well; "friendship will get you through the tough times, help you surpass your limits, and go all out! (*raises fist*)!"

Yeah. Nice soundtrack, but Makka na Chikai is IMO the best thing in the series. I'm in love with the song (although my absolute fave is still F-ZERO's Falcon Densetsu's OP). About the moment where Mahiro-chan and the others appear cheering them on, spoiler[it's just a way of proving that shonen series usually are about friendship and such. That's one of the reasons I prefer shonen over shojo n__n]

Tony K. wrote:
Another intersting twist is that I'm finding myself cheering for Papillon. As fruity as his character is, and considering he's suppose to be a villain, he has a certain charisma in how he carries himself, and I admire his determination to go beyond himself. (Removed the spoiler)

Sadly, I can't agree with you here. He may be trying to surpass his limits, but I actually spoiler[ find him somewhat disgusting, since he has no qualms in going around even stark naked Confused]

Tony K. wrote:
Also, it's great to hear Tomokazu Seki as Moonface.

AMEN!!! He's one of the best (and personal favorites). He sure knew how to give the voice to this interesting character.

Tony K. wrote:
But there are still so many characters I saw in the OP. The pace doesn't feel too rushed, but it'd be nice if the series went a little longer than 26 episodes. Oh, well. I'm still enjoying it. Glad I saw the anime first. The manga should be a very good read now that I have some voices and personalities to hear in my head.

You're lucky. I wish I could read the manga too, since the anime series is totally addicting Razz. I'd hope for it to last a little more, but I feel that 26 episodes are enough. Probably a new Buso Renkin season with new characters? Naaaaah... Forget what I said. Kazuki and Tokiko rule.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:01 am Reply with quote
After months of setting this series aside to watch it in one big chunk, I'm finally finished. It's a Very Good series, but way too short. Despite the genericness of everyone's Busou Renkin abilities ("Killer Rabies?" Laughing) and lack of depth in a lot of the supporting characters, I still like a majority of the interaction between Kazuki, Tokiko, Chouno, and Capt. Bravo (love his costume, reminds me of the French live-action movie Le Pact de Loups aka "Brotherhood of the Wolf.")

Anyway, after episode 17, things just felt very rushed. I was hoping to learn more about Tokiko in particular since she initially struck me as a character who would change a lot by series' end, which she did, but I would've preferred they at least draw out spoiler[ what happened at her school when she became an alchemic warrior and a litte of the hardship she experienced aftewards.]

They really had me fooled, though, when spoiler[ Hiwatari dropped his bomb on Kazuki and company and it looked like Capt. Bravo died. That would've been a real shocker and probably worth a bump in the ratings considering Bravo as a character and my liking for his seiyuu (Alistor from Shakugan no Shana!).]

I'll say this again in that I also found Mitsuaki Modono to be a very good villain/anti hero in Papillon. He's hilarious when he acts all fruity, but his "ominous and angry" voice is pretty intense as well. It's nice that spoiler[ he didn't die in the end and went on to live in fame through his identity as Butterfly Man or whatever. And was he at that fastfood place promoting his action figure? Laughing]

About the Victor thing... I really wish the manga were extended beyond 10 volumes because I think his story could've been much better written. spoiler[ Like a lot of good guys gone bad, he's the afflicted former hero that tries to blame the mistakes of a few bad eggs on the rest of the world and does his best to destroy any and every thing for the sake of "preserving" peace or just eliminating the "cancer" of alchemy.] Not a bad motive for fighitng, but like I mentioned about the lack of depth, it could've been so much better had the anime or manga been longer (still need to read that, by the way).

One thing I also want to comment on is the awesome soundtrack. Lots and lots of authentic symphonic/rock sounds without a lot of crappy synth work (like Flame of Recca had; probably the worst score I've heard in any shounen series). I especially liked Kazuki's theme with the string and trumpet mix. it really gets me pumped and excited for the action on screen.

It was short, but enjoyable. Unlike a lot of other shounen titles, this one was a lot shorter than the likes of Bleach, Kenshin, Naruto, or even Hikaru no Go, which is a shame because i think it could've been pretty good had their been more material written in. But, oh well. I'm sure I'll still pick up the manga as well as the anime if it ever gets licensed.

EDIT: Fixed some spelling.

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:32 am; edited 2 times in total
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:55 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it was a fun series. The best thing about the end, for me at least, was that spoiler[Kazuki and Tokiko actually hooked up! That's practicaly unheard of in anime, even in shoujo anime it's rarer than it really should be for the two protagonists to actually ball-up and decide to go for it . Great stuff. ]

As for the show's length, the manga was canceled, probably well prematurely, so it's a miracle he was able to salvage even that much of an ending form the series. Maybe if it's popular enough as an anime they could squeek an expository OVA out of it or something.
pyrex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:04 am Reply with quote
I loved Busou Renkin, I saw the last episode about a week ago and your right on alot of points.

Tony K. wrote:

I'll say this again in that I also found Mitsuaki Modono to be a very good villain/anti hero in Papillon. He's hilarious when he acts all fruity, but his "ominous and angry" voice is pretty intense as well. It's nice that spoiler[ he didn't die in the end and went on to live in fame through his identity as Butterfly Man or whatever. And was he at that fastfood place promoting his action figure? Laughing]

I think the Papillon was a interesting choice for a villain, if you could call him that. I guess the thing I really liked about him was his unique relationship to Kazuki. Although going back to your point Tony, spoiler[ I wasn't to thrilled at the end when Papillon and Kazuki fought. It was uplifting that Kazuki ened up surviving and was able to keep his promise to Chuno. But the whole fight scene seemed very rushed and sort of anti climatic after they rescued him & Victor from the moon.]

Tony K. wrote:

One thing I also want to comment on is the awesome soundtrack. Lots and lots of authentic symphonic/rock sounds without a lot of crappy synth work (like Flame of Recca had, probably the worst score I've heard in any shounen series). I especially liked Kazuki's theme with the string and trumpet mix. it really gets me pumped and excited for the action on screen.

I think it was well done and I also really loved the OP. The music seemed to fit really well with was happening on the screen. I'm usually sort of oblivous to the music at times when I watch anime, but they did a great job matching the music with the tone of the scenes.

Tony K. wrote:

It was short, but enjoyable. Unlike a lot of other shounen titles, this one was a lot shorter than the likes of Bleach, Kenshin, Naruto, or even Hikaru no Go, which is a shame because i think it could've been pretty good had their been more material written in. But, oh well. I'm sure I'll still pick up the manga as well as the anime if it ever gets licensed.

Same here, I was sort of sad to see it end. This is one I wish they would have made another season. I also on a side note, this is one I really hope someone like [AS] picks up at some point once it gets licensed. The series is good and the characters for the most part are likable. I really enjoyed this one from start to finish.
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:49 am Reply with quote
I watched the end about 2-3 weeks ago, and I loved it, but still, as Tony said, it was somewhat rushed. The spoiler[romance] part almost made me retch, but seeing how things went 'back to normal' was nice.

My grade for it: A. No doubt about it
omar235

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was pretty good as well, I also felt that it was a bit too rushed more so then I have felt for a series in a while, it would have been alot better if they had extende another ten or so episodes, alot of parts could have been extended which would have added to their emotional impact.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7