• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ghost Hunt (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:58 pm Reply with quote
AHH, episode 20 is out and I just finished 13 today, I've fell behind. On the same note, 13 was a pretty sad little case. And the ending song was beautiful, so beautiful it's still on my comp and I can't delete it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
d.yaro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:01 am Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
.they have a character who actually speaks english who is english which surprised me (at least he sounded english)

He sounded North American to me so I thought he wasn't English. Smile

I was sort of wondering if anyone was still following this show. This series has turned into a treat with Mai's increasing confidence as each case goes by. And I'm enjoying the underlying edgyness and tension that runs between the principal female characters. Plus this show has gained depth with the little details about the character's pasts popping up here and there. It's now quite obvious that there are untold reasons why things are the way they are and that subplot is starting to take a life of its own for me.

Anyways, the suspense in the Bloodstained Labyrinth arc is almost killing me... (Well, probably not as much as waiting to find out who won in the shootout for tonight's Canucks versus Wild game. Oh boy! 'Nucks won. Okay, all is good now.) On to episode 21. After the terrifying hang by a thread ending to episode 19 and the bombshell at the end of episode 20 it's going to be fun to see where this thing goes next.
omar235

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote
d.yaro wrote:
omar235 wrote:
.they have a character who actually speaks english who is english which surprised me (at least he sounded english)

Sorry for the confusion I meant that he wasn't a Japanese speaking English but someone who actually spoke English who was from a english speaking country like America or the United Kingdom. Embarassed I to am enjoying how Mai's confidence increases as time goes by and how she is more open (not that much more but a little more) with her feelings toward Naru, and he is steadly showing feelings back.
Stellarleen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:37 pm Reply with quote
d.yaro - I too was wondering if anyone was still following this show, which I am. I found the bloodstained labyrinth arc to be quite creepy and suspensful. spoiler["Urado" ] was definately the most frightening spirit/ghost of the serious thus far in my opinion. The title of the next episode is "The Cursed House" (part one). I am wondering how it will differ from this last arc since it was pretty much about a cursed house... Anyway, I am enjoying this show, I hope other peopole are too!
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quote
d.yaro wrote:
omar235 wrote:

If you mean John Brown, he's Australian.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
d.yaro wrote:
omar235 wrote:

I was actually talking about the Docter they meet in the arc bloodstained labyrinth...Docter Davis. Smile
d.yaro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:12 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

...and I don't think he's had a line in English so far in the series. Smile

I've gone back and watched bits and pieces of the previous episodes in "Fast forward and select a scene" mode and am still finding that the shows can generate that tingly sensation I associate with a good ghost story. I've often said in other threads that there are some anime series which leave the viewer wondering why the shows weren't done with live actors and sets. This one isn't one of those series. I suspect if it had been done as a live action series it would've suffered from special effects that don't look all that frightening. Sort of like the situation that came about when they remade Jigoku Shojo as a live action show. I've watched two episodes of that and found it to be incredibly dull in comparison to the anime series (which to me wasn't all the interesting, let alone scary, until it got past the one third to halfway mark of its run).

Having said that I'm coming to the conclusion that this series isn't particularily visually stunning or unique. That isn't to say it's shoddy looking though. The appearance of the show is very good. I think it's competently made without being obviously dependent on CG elements to the same degree as say a series such as Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu.

All in all, I think I've been rewarded in sticking with this series. The ghost hunts are not played out as campy episodes and there's a noticable lack of the Hollywood style blood and gore. They've done a good job so far of showing enough spooky stuff without violating my postulate on ghost stories: What you don't see but still experience, that dimension of the unknown and one's fear of it, is what makes a ghost story work. Anyways, here's to hoping the last story arc is the best one...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm at the same point in the anime and manga, which is the end of the Orikiri arc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:00 am Reply with quote
Just picked up where I left off today and watched 12-17. The Christmas one was alright, and spoiler[ the fact that Kenji's corpse was still up there was nice for some shock value. Overall, it wasn't all that creepy. I do admit, though, that the series does a good job of balancing some of the goofy Files with some of the scarier ones.]

Now that "Forbidden Play" File was some pretty good stuff. This is how I wish Jigoku Shoujo would've handled some of their curses and revenge. spoiler[ And to think that butthole of a teacher still got away from the whole thing unscaved. Keh! The least they could've done was make him pee in his pants from fear or something for a good laugh. But I must say, I really like when SPR and Co. take on the more belligerent ghosts and spirits.]

I've been hearing good stuff about this "Blood Maze" File, so I look forward to finishing what I have left later tonight after school (no work today, Yay! Anime catgrin).

I really hope this gets licensed soon. It would make a great addition to the horror/supernatural line-up for any of the companies, maybe someone who wants to compete with Geneon's Higurashi and Ayakashi Horror Tales or FUNi's Jigoku Shoujo?
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
It would make a great addition to the horror/supernatural line-up for any of the companies, maybe someone who wants to compete with Geneon's Higurashi and Ayakashi Horror Tales or FUNi's Jigoku Shoujo?

Mmm, especially since it's better than what I've seen of Ayakashi and Jigoku Shoujo.

Having watched the whole of Ghost Hunt, for me it's one of those series I like much more than their quality would suggest. In that even though it has some fairly obvious flaws I enjoy watching it so much that I don't mind them at all.

One point I really like about the series is the way everything builds up, both in the individual arcs and the series as a whole. If you consider the series, the first few arcs are relatively mild, just giving you an introduction to the way things work - until the second arc it wasn't clear if ghosts even existed in the series or not. Whereas by the final arcs things are a lot more intense - way beyond setting up a few cameras.

The individual arcs all progress at a good pace, and the variety of stories and situations always keeps things fresh and interesting.
However one of my main criticisms of the show is that the solutions to the mysteries were all way too obvious - after the first arc (when I didn't know if psychic powers existed in the story) I pretty much figured them all out well in advance, and occasionally found myself thinking "For goodness sake, go f*** him/her/it up already!" Embarassed .

This variety of situations works to bring out the different characters well. Although apart from Mai (I'll get to her later) they're nothing special in terms of depth of character they seem like fairly original characters, and although they don't get any true growth through the series it's fun to see different aspects of them revealed, either in action against an opponent, or in the well-written "idle chat" between the characters which makes the series more than just a case of mystery after mystery - the series becomes as much about seeing the characters as it is about the mysteries.
Mai, on the other hand, is almost the opposite. While she starts out a bog-standard schoolgirl stereotype (telling ghost stories, getting giddy over some handsome guy) her growth throughout the series is awesome to watch, until by the end she's as valued a member of the team as any of them (apart from Naru, of course Razz ).

To me, the artwork and animation didn't appear to be anything special - they seemed to do the job without being anything breathtaking, but also without presenting anything in so poor a fashion for the atmosphere to suffer. The audio on the other hand I did notice - unusual for me, I'm normally to dense to notice things like that - and I was impressed by it, both the ghostly sound effects and the music that always kicked in at the right moment.
I remember when I first saw the opening I was decidedly unimpressed - it was very reminiscent of the early 1990's style of ghost shows which were universally poor - but as I watched more it grew on me, until it seemed like a fairly appropriate opening in light of the series. It could never quite shake of that last hint of cheesiness, however Razz .

The way the show progressed in arcs means there's still room for more, but I don't know if the manga goes any further, or if the series was popular enough to warrant a second season in any case. Normally I'd head to the manga for more in this situation (as it came first), but with the quality of work done in the series I think I'd rather have it animated. Plus I find that horror works best on screen rather than in a book.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Ramadahl wrote:
The audio on the other hand I did notice - unusual for me, I'm normally to dense to notice things like that - and I was impressed by it, both the ghostly sound effects and the music that always kicked in at the right moment.

Yeah, the sound and music are definitly top-notch. Ever since hearing Toshio Masuda's work in Mushishi, he's become one of my favorite composers. That particular "horror" style he does is very well made and insertered at some excellent spots throughout the series.

And this is where I get back to my argument over how sound effects should take more precedence in horror titles (live or animated). It's my theory that people are afraid of the unknown. That's why you get people pulling pranks like hiding in the bushes, jumping out, and expecting some kind of reaction.

That's the sort of thing sound effects do for me in horror titles. On top of the fact that you've got a potentially malicious spirit (well, maybe "potentially" isn't the right word since they seem to always be malcious more so than not), these real creepy sounds just come out of nowhere and you're like "what the heck was that?! Shocked" And frankly, it sounds great if you have a good sound system. Like my system in particular can create artifical Dolby Pro Logic fields and make something feel like it has a 5.1 mix. It was so friggin' awesome to watch this series like that.

Ramadahl wrote:
I remember when I first saw the opening I was decidedly unimpressed - it was very reminiscent of the early 1990's style of ghost shows which were universally poor - but as I watched more it grew on me, until it seemed like a fairly appropriate opening in light of the series. It could never quite shake of that last hint of cheesiness, however Razz.

Now to me, from the first I'm heard it, I liked it a lot. It reminds me a lot of Danny Elfman, and when you get Danny Elfman, you also get Tim Burton. Granted, Ghost Hunt isn't as morbid or surreal like the style of Burton, but that intro in particular really sets things up well, in my opinion. Of course, you have to be somewhat familiar with their other works to have some semblance of affect, so maybe it's just me Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop.

I also like how you mentioned that stuff about how the characters don't really "develop" in the sense of a plot, but how they still manage to grow on you regardless of the fact. I like series with characters that drive more on just who they are and their little quirks and mannerisms, instead of concentrating strictly on changing and reaching whatever goals they have set (though some of those can be very well written too).

What I like so much about GH is the way things are directed. It's sort of forumalic, but I find their sleuthing and deduction to be a lot of fun. It's suspenseful, intriguing, and cool all rolled into one because of the nature of their work.

It's funny how I'm supposed to be Buddhist, yet I don't believe in a spiritual world at all, but yet I'm still so fascinated by how these elements are portrayed in fictional works. I don't know, it just seems like a really neat idea, or maybe I just like the exhiliration of seeing a mystery unfold right in front of me.

In any case, I can't wait to finish these last two Files tonight Anime catgrin.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to bump my own thread, but I finished the series over the weekend and have to say this has really become one of my favorite mystery/supernatural series. The last two Files really let loose with the whole spirit theme.

The "Blood-stained Labyrinth" File was a lot of fun to see unfold spoiler[ and the fact that Urado had become a "demon" in the sense that he was a sort of immortal being was a cool twist to the usual ghost angle SPR had kept encountering by that point.]

I also really liked spoiler[ the little dream sequence Mai had when she was reliving the memories of one of the victims and had her throat slit. It portrayed a real sense of horror and fear of death in the way one probably would feel if they were so powerless only to have their life taken away so easily. And the gruesomeness of it all with the background and blood all over the place had a nice sense of freakiness to it as well.]

Then, consider the fact that spoiler[ even with shredding his body apart, he could reform himself out of "magic" or whatever paranormal term it is for ghost/demon energy, and you find them now dealing with a real hard case. I loved how they actually couldn't resolve it with a simple exorcism or mantra chant and be on with it like they had been previously.]

This File would definitely have to be my favorite of them all. It reminded me a little bit of Higurashi with just how horrific things would turn out, and I really enjoyed the pacing and directing (loved the music and sound effects especially, great creepy vibe Shocked!).

As for the final File, "The Cursed House," I thought this was a great way to end the series. spoiler[ We return to the ghost and spirit type of paranormal disturbance and you have all of these people becoming possessed. The mysterious and intriguing act of just figuring out the cause and how to get rid of it was a nice little challenge. And as they get closer to the truth, things start to heat up when Naru gets possessed (and put out of action), so it provides a little more perplexity in actually solving the case.]

I especially liked spoiler[ how they kind of trick you into thinking the cause was from the spirits of those 3 monks, when it was actually that Ebisu in the shrine. The whole zombie thing was also a great twist to give the series a little bit of that "survivor horror" feel too, something you don't really see much in the horror genre at all these days. It was funny how Bou-san called the situation "like one of those zombie movies" when they were surrounded, as it was a nice way to sort of parody the concept as well.]

Oh, and I'm curious to hear some of your responses to spoiler[ Naru's powers. That whole ki thing caught me off guard when he just blew up the Ebisu at the end of that arc, and I was like "what the heck was that?!" Personally, I don't interpret it like I do in shounen series where all of that stuff just seems to be for the purposes of fighting, but I think it would be interesting if they did a little something with that particular aspect about him in the possible future.]

But overall, the way the series ended makes me believe they can continue with another season if they really put in the effort. I'm not sure how much of that was in the manga or how far it actually goes, but I definitely wouldn't mind more of this anime if they can do it just like that. However, if they don't, I would not be bummed as these 25 episodes were still a lot of fun to watch.

I highly recommend this series for people wanting a good mystery anime. If ghosts and the supernatural are your thing, then I would be willing to say you'll more than likely enjoy the series, maybe not as much as me or others, but if you can at least make it to the last 8 episodes, it's a lot of fun.
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Then, consider the fact that spoiler[ even with shredding his body apart, he could reform himself out of "magic" or whatever paranormal term it is for ghost/demon energy, and you find them now dealing with a real hard case. I loved how they actually couldn't resolve it with a simple exorcism or mantra chant and be on with it like they had been previously.]

Definitely, the solution to that file really surprised me. spoiler[They come across something they can't beat so they run away? I felt like they were breaking some rules at that point - the heroes can't run away! Laughing]

Oh, and I think it's ectoplasm in the case of ghosts. ^^;

Tony K. wrote:
Oh, and I'm curious to hear some of your responses to spoiler[ Naru's powers. That whole ki thing caught me off guard when he just blew up the Ebisu at the end of that arc, and I was like "what the heck was that?!" Personally, I don't interpret it like I do in shounen series where all of that stuff just seems to be for the purposes of fighting, but I think it would be interesting if they did a little something with that particular aspect about him in the possible future.]

spoiler[Well I was pretty sure he'd have something up his sleve that he'd use to win in the very last episode since about the middle of the series, but I never really expected it'd be quite so pyrotechnic given the powers the others displayed. Also, his "I'm so disgusted with myself right now" comment from the 1st file makes a lot more sense now - more so than any of them, he should have recognized uncontrolled psychic powers, as he grew up with them himself.
I'm not sure how much scope there really is for developing it further as it seems to mess him up pretty badly, but I can see Mai going the extra distance so that he doesn't have to use it in the future.]
omar235

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quote
My favorite part in the series had to be the last part, I mean we saw a side of Naru we hadn't seen before, it didn't really catch me off guard but to see him have the train of thought like "f*ck this I ain't losin to spoiler[a pieace of drift wood]" and then spoiler[fire off a huge fire ball ]like that was pretty cool, I mean it was one of those "I know he didn't just do that" moments. I mean his powers are much more diffrent visually then the others, too bad it spoiler[nearly kills him ]when he does it. I have to agree this really was my favorite supernatural/mystery series. Very Happy
hachihachi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:13 am Reply with quote
i just finished this whole series. both the doll house and labyrinth series really spooked me nicely, watching them in the middle of the night. especially the labyrinth with its glorious splash Twisted Evil

the last story probably was one that everyone will agree to be one that presented naru in a different way than the other stories. i went eh? at his reply to bou-san after waking up. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4