• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more
You are welcome to look at the talkback but please consider that this article is over 14 years old before posting.

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Streams Cardcaptor Sakura Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

Animax CAN do good dubs when they put enough of the network behind it, like Sgt. Frog or Nodame Cantabile.
Unlike, ahem, some Frog-dubbing studios, they get the tone and humor of the original series, and know how to approximate the characters...Maybe not A-1 dub acting, but certainly in Disney Doraemon territory.

Their Sgt. Frog or in this case Sgt. Keroro dub was badly scripted in the few episodes I saw. They were clearly speaking the subtitles and pronouncing all the names wrong.
Tamama actually said at one point "This is ungood!". The voices were decent, Funimation's is better in my opinion.

Judge for yourself, this guy put a few episodes up on his dailymotion account.
http://www.dailymotion.com/user/luciferspear/1
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Sakura's cuteness is cute, her cold-feet "Ho-eee Anime smile + sweatdrop " moments are funny without being mo-eee,

I kind of take issue with this line. Sakura is moe, whether you interpret it as such or not...
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
I kind of take issue with this line. Sakura is moe, whether you interpret it as such or not...

He sounds like one of those anti otaku/moe people and doesn't want CCS associated with them, which is ridiculous because Sakura is one of the most iconic lolicon symbols and help jump started the trend. Trying to say it had no otaku appeal or moe is ridiculous. That's not even getting into all the incest, pedophile, and yuri undertones of the series.
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Actar wrote:

He sounds like one of those anti otaku/moe people and doesn't want CCS associated with them, which is ridiculous because Sakura is one of the most iconic lolicon symbols and help jump started the trend. Trying to say it had no otaku appeal or moe is ridiculous. That's not even getting into all the incest, pedophile, and yuri undertones of the series.

That's right. She and Ruri from Martian Successor Nadesico.

Oh, let's not forget the teacher-student relationship and homosexual undertones as well with Toya and Yuki. It was a thoroughly mature anime and all this was completely removed for the US audience in Cardcaptors.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
Sakura's cuteness is cute, her cold-feet "Ho-eee Anime smile + sweatdrop " moments are funny without being mo-eee,

No, "moe" is based on the concept of cute pity, inviting fans to adopt them like stray kittens out of a big-eyed painting--
Sakura, OTOH, while cute, is basically good at everything (skating, cooking, cheerleading), to the point where it would become implausible except for the main distinction:
Sakura is intended to be the favorite character of a girl kids' audience, and is therefore spunky, empowered, has interesting friends, and gets to do cool things with magic.

Y'know, sort of like Usagi at her better moments, or Kiki, or Hime-chan's Ribbon, or other magical-girl characters from the long ago 90's days BEFORE the Japanese turned against otakus, forcing real otakus to embrace their negative "pedophile" stereotypes in secret to survive. Sad

Actar wrote:
Oh, let's not forget the teacher-student relationship and homosexual undertones as well with Toya and Yuki. It was a thoroughly mature anime and all this was completely removed for the US audience in Cardcaptors.

Really? Thought it was removed in the third season of the original show, when Touya's "interest" in Yuki was more and more explained by his sixth sense for something supernatural about him, and was stuck with a "girlfriend" that kept interrupting his attempts to find out.
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
No, "moe" is based on the concept of cute pity, inviting fans to adopt them like stray kittens out of a big-eyed painting--

Erm... I think you're mistaken. Moe is not some sinister anti-empowering device that serves to disenfranchise women. (After that Comic Artist and his Assistants debacle, I don't want to drag this into a feminist debate).

Not sure where you heard that definition of moe from (even the Wiki article is half-decent), but this is the closest consensus that most fans can come to:

An easy way to disprove your definition is consider the fact that capable and feisty tsundere characters are common moe character archetypes. Moe-elements can range from a variety of characteristics, backstories, objects and accessories that in no way incite this emotion of pity. For example, yandere characters, mecha musume, fighting girls, military girls, etc...
iloveturkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:33 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
from the long ago 90's days BEFORE the Japanese turned against otakus, forcing real otakus to embrace their negative "pedophile" stereotypes in secret to survive. Sad

I assure you you'd look just as creepy embracing Sakura back then as you would in today's environment. These mythical otaku boogeyman have nothing to do with your self confidence issues.

You seem utterly oblivious to all the polls of the 90s where otaku ranked their favorite girls in magazines like Newtype just like they do to this day. Hint: It involved girls from all the shows you listed which you seem to think exist in a vacuum where moe and otaku didn't exist in the 90s. Which of course is silly because they did.

Not sure why I'm bothering, though, you pulled out the "true otaku" fallacy.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:39 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Not sure where you heard that definition of moe from (even the Wiki article is half-decent), but this is the closest consensus that most fans can come to:

I take the general definition as "A girl show/character that one suspects wasn't necessarily designed for girls..."
CCS clearly was, but only in the sense that Sailor Moon was.

Btw, what was the answer to question #4, and can I punch the first guy who says "Lum" was the answer? Mad
(Well, okay, maybe by the later Oshii seasons, and Beautiful Dreamer's characterization of her had it slopping out of every pore, but that's really the director's problem.)
ムギまる

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:20 am Reply with quote
"It's not "moe" because I like it!"

This summarizes the twisted and disingenuous logic of people like EricJ2 to a tee.
Lusbox

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:13 am Reply with quote
One of the first ever anime i watched on tv as a kid (before I even knew what anime was Very Happy).
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:37 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I don't think you know how well loved and cherished Sakura's been, even with that hacked up Cardcaptors floating around.

Basically, what never hits you until you're hooked a half-dozen episodes in is that the original JP series somehow does everything a mahou-shoujou series should do, RIGHT. And without irony or squickily deliberate otaku pandering, like Madoka Magica's false front.
It's a show for kids, that's smartly enough put together that anybody can watch.

It's not really a 'false front', though. Tragedy begins with prosperity. It's a necessary part of the tragic structure. And you should avoid ghettoizing a genre bast on what you like about it. The Magical Girl genre has gone dark places, and it's done well in those places. Basically:

Staaaaaahp.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:07 am Reply with quote
I can pretty much guarantee you that this will not be available in my region but I already own the series on DVD.

Putting that aside, Cardcaptor Sakura is my absolute favourite series of all time and the absolute pinnacle of mahou shoujo.

It does a fantastic job of exploring themes like coping with the death of loved ones, unrequited love and even briefly touches on the subject of homosexuality yet at the same time it still manages to retain its younger target audience the whole way through. And even putting all that aside it's all very well written and immeasurably charming.

If you haven't seen this show, please do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4