• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cowboy Bebop Blu-ray Slated for N. America in December

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I can't wait to see what the extras are. CB is one of the few shows where I'd actually be interested in seeing commentary and behind the scenes stuff from the English cast. I hope we get a lot of stuff from both sides though.

The amazon Exclusive Edition is already up:
http://www.amazon.com/Cowboy-Bebop-Complete-Exclusive-Edition/dp/B00MMOZ1SS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408726814&sr=8-1&keywords=cowboy+bebop

Not sure when they will reveal the Funi Edition.

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I honestly wouldn't mind cropping as long as 1) I put the disc in and I didn't notice like half of someone's head missing for and entire shot and 2) they labeled it as being 16:9. I haven't seen Bebop in probably close to 10 years and would not being able to point out what was missing. It could come in 16:9 and I probably wouldn't even dawn on me that it wasn't. DBZ Kai had that same effect on me. It looked great in HD 16:9 and it never occurred to me that I was watching it cropped content until I came online and saw people labeling it as an abomination and completely unwatchable.

I also wouldn't mind 16:9 if there was an option to switch back and forth between that and 4:3. I don't think it would be too hard from a technical standpoint to do something like that, but I'm also not in any way involved in that kind of work, so who knows. As far as I know, nothing has been released with that option to date, so I'm sure there is some reason for that.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
When movies are released with fullscreen and widescreen options, it typically involves an entire other disc.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
The amazon Exclusive Edition is already up:
http://www.amazon.com/Cowboy-Bebop-Complete-Exclusive-Edition/dp/B00MMOZ1SS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408726814&sr=8-1&keywords=cowboy+bebop

Not sure when they will reveal the Funi Edition.

Part of it is already up:
Cowboy Bebop Funimation Exclusive
SPECIAL FEATURES:
Exclusive tri-fold packaging in the style of a vintage record cover
Display easel
Four exclusive art cards
One additional exclusive art card with foil-stamp autograph from series director Shinichiro Watanabe
On-disc extras TBA

The Amazon one has actually gone up in price. It was originally listed at $69.98 and I thought that was pretty decent. Once the features were added to the listing the price went up to $89.98. Right now its looking like the amazon version has 2 books and the Funi does not.
RocoBonnaro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
What I really hope for is that it will include a translated version of the novel that Keiko Nobumoto wrote for the Japanese edition. I'm poised for disappointment, but that would be a splendid coup.

QFT. So far its not looking good after reading those extras that are listed on the funimation page and the amazon page. Come on, a novel of how Spike and Jet met written by the screenwriter of Cowboy Bebop! I swear if it doesn't come with these US BR releases, I'm this close to buying the Japanese BR LE boxset and paying someone to translate that novel from Japanese to English... 'course the funding for this enterprise might be a little hard to come by. Especially since most likely I'm forking over the cash for both these premium sets... how could the do that to us?
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:23 am Reply with quote
I don't understand why Funimation is releasing two different sets. I want to own everything, and seeing the preliminary details of each, I have no idea what route to go with. I'm not happy about this. The collector in me can not go with missing items from a release of such an iconic series like Cowboy Bebop. I hope they give us the option of purchasing the art books separately at the very least.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
It looks like they're betting that they can sell more by appealing directly two different kinds of consumer, viz. those who want something to display and those who want more content, rather than trying to please both with the same product. Admittedly, it mostly works out for me as I no interest in things like a display easel, so it's not hard to choose. The only thing that the FUNImation edition might have as a compelling advantage over the Amazon edition is the artbox. I'm not sure what, "clamshell art box," means exactly, but I get the feeling that a trifold one that resembles a record album will be preferable.

I'm interested in the results of this experiment as that could dictate how they approach premium releases in the future. I have a bad feeling that the flashy stuff will win, but in the immediate term, it could be to my advantage.

I'm just glad that neither includes any damned postcards. I still don't understand the postcards.

RocoBonnaro wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
What I really hope for is that it will include a translated version of the novel that Keiko Nobumoto wrote for the Japanese edition. I'm poised for disappointment, but that would be a splendid coup.

QFT. So far its not looking good after reading those extras that are listed on the funimation page and the amazon page. Come on, a novel of how Spike and Jet met written by the screenwriter of Cowboy Bebop! I swear if it doesn't come with these US BR releases, I'm this close to buying the Japanese BR LE boxset and paying someone to translate that novel from Japanese to English... 'course the funding for this enterprise might be a little hard to come by. Especially since most likely I'm forking over the cash for both these premium sets... how could the do that to us?

It does look unlikely that the novel will be included, which is lousy, because that would be a great, really special thing to include. I doubt that there's enough left unknown to hope for a surprise. That sucks, but I'm not too surprised. I suspect that the problem is Japan's notoriously persnickety intellectual property rights laws. It might be that the rights to that are controlled by somebody other than whomever they negotiated the licenses with who won't give FUNImation the rights, at least not on terms that they can accept. Alternatively, perhaps they didn't think that interest in the novel was enough to justify the added cost of licensing it, translating the text and paying for the books to be made. I find either plausible and I can't really blame them; that much text would be a big translation job and there's seldom been much interest among anime fans in prose. (Maybe if it were a light novel...)

Also: *"Waltz for Venus" reference fist bump* It's one of my favorite episodes; the beautiful final scene still makes me choke up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RocoBonnaro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:38 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
*"Waltz for Venus" reference fist bump*

Back at ya. Though now I'm not sure if its two Cs or one C.

So... who wants in on operation: retrieval and translation?
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know when Funimation plans to reveal what each set looks like. I'd like to get a sneak peak before deciding which way to go.
RocoBonnaro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:21 am Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop Funimation Exclusive has been updated. On-disc extras include:
Session #1 Audio Commentary with Koichi Yamadera (Spike) and Unshou Ishizuka (Jet)
Session #5 Audio Commentary with Wendee Lee (Faye) and ADR Producer Yutaka Maseba
Session #10 Audio Commentary with Wendee Lee (Faye) and ADR Producer Yutaka Maseba
Session #17 Audio Commentary with Director Shinichiro Watanabe and Composer Yoko Kanno
Session #24 Audio Commentary with Megumi Hayashibara (Faye) and Aoi Tada (Ed)
Cowboy Bebop Session #0
Interview with Wendee Lee (English Voice of Faye Valentine)
Interview with Cartoon Network Producer Sean Akins
Original Opening Song
Textless Opening Song
Original Closing Song
Textless Closing Song
Original Closing Song Ep. 13
Textless Closing Song Ep. 13
Original Closing Song Ep. 26
Textless Closing Song Ep. 26
U.S. Trailer
Trailers
Memo from Bebop: The Dub Sessions Remembered
Ein's Summer Vacation
"Tank!" Full-Size Music Clip
"Tank!" Club Remix Music Clip -UK Version-
Dinner Aboard the Bebop
RocoBonnaro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:11 am Reply with quote
Here's some additional details of the on-disc extras:
DVD Extras (160 minutes):
- Memo from Bebop: The Dub Sessions Remembered – a brand new 95-minute original extra, featuring the original English-language cast of Cowboy Bebop as they give you the behind-the-scenes stories about recording this seminal series.
- Session #1 Audio Commentary with Koichi Yamadera (Spike) and Unshou Ishizuka (Jet)
- Session #5 Audio Commentary with Wendee Lee (Faye) and ADR Producer Yutaka Maseba
- Interview with Wendee Lee (English Voice of Faye Valentine)
- Session #10 Audio Commentary with Wendee Lee (Faye) and ADR Producer Yutaka Maseba
- Interview with Cartoon Network Producer Sean Akins
- Session #17 Audio Commentary with Director Shinichiro Watanabe and Composer Yoko Kanno
- “Tank!” Full-Size Music Clip
- “Tank!” Club Remix Music Clip -UK Version-
- Session #24 Audio Commentary with Megumi Hayashibara (Faye) and Aoi Tada (Ed)
- Original Opening and Closing Songs
- Textless Opening and Closing Songs
- Ein’s Summer Vacation
- Cowboy Bebop Session #0
- U.S. Trailer
Blu-ray Extras (227 minutes):
- All of the DVD extras, plus
- Dinner Aboard the Bebop, a brand new 68-minute original extra, featuring the original English-language cast of Cowboy Bebop reunited for dinner, drinks, and a very special script reading!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5