• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods Earns US$2.2 Million in N. America, Adds Tuesday Screenings

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nhat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
What about Saturday earnings?

Is this even good, how much did it cost Funi?

It's one of those movies where is a lot more entertaining with people around. People laughing at the (pretty good for a dbz) jokes and the fights are fun
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Mr. slicer wrote:
Primus wrote:
skafreak51 wrote:
Man, imagine if that movie was actually great and had a lot of word of mouth. Myself and my group of friends are giant Dragon Ball fans but had no desire to see it. I could imagine the movie doing several times as well if it had gotten good press after its Japanese release.

If you're Dragon Ball fans, I don't see how this movie could let you down. Now, if you're Dragon Ball Z fans ...

I am curious by that statement. Are you suggesting that this is more like the original Dragon Ball than DBZ or am I misinterpreting your statement?

That's exactly what he means. It's got the innocence and general zaniness DBZ left by the wayside.

Probably because Toriyama was directly involved.
blcskate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Glad they added Tuesday. I was working out of town last week and could not make it. I already bought my tickets for tomorrow and its 10 minutes from the house. Sweet!!!

I am not as into DBZ as I was 15 years ago, but I support any anime showings in mainstream places. The more we can push anime mainstream the more will be localized to the U.S. I will go to the theater weekly if it supports that. I already buy more dvds/blu-rays then a dvd store does Smile
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:15 am Reply with quote
I just wish we got some screenings in more locations, like if it were a regular movie that gets screens everywhere. I would love to support anime in theatres, but in the south we don't get jack shit. It's hard enough having moved to Arkansas for my dad's job and staying for in-state tuition rates; they could at least make it more bearable by letting me watch DBZ.
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:50 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
ivancho wrote:
2.2 millon is a lot money for a movie of Dragon Ball Z, screening in the USA.
With this numbers coming right now, FUNimation won't hesitate to keep the movie in theaters a little longer.

really? I guess Dragon Ball Z is not pokemon or yugioh.

That's a really unfair comparison. YuGiOh and Pokemon movies got worldwide releases in thousands of theaters with the time that they were screening lasting for weeks and months on end. Battle Of Gods got just over 800 screening spread across 50 states that lasted for 4 days. Honestly, even by DBZ mainstream popularity standards, earning over 2 millions dollars given those circumstances is really remarkable.

Here's to hoping 20th Century Fox have the balls to add more screenings and give more time in the the theaters for the 2015 DBZ movie.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:49 am Reply with quote
Second Fire Shadow wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
ivancho wrote:
2.2 millon is a lot money for a movie of Dragon Ball Z, screening in the USA.
With this numbers coming right now, FUNimation won't hesitate to keep the movie in theaters a little longer.

really? I guess Dragon Ball Z is not pokemon or yugioh.

That's a really unfair comparison. YuGiOh and Pokemon movies got worldwide releases in thousands of theaters with the time that they were screening lasting for weeks and months on end. Battle Of Gods got just over 800 screening spread across 50 states that lasted for 4 days. Honestly, even by DBZ mainstream popularity standards, earning over 2 millions dollars given those circumstances is really remarkable.

Here's to hoping 20th Century Fox have the balls to add more screenings and give more time in the the theaters for the 2015 DBZ movie.

it's a fairy Comparision. even the bad yugioh movie earned almost $9.5m in 2,411 screens for the first weekend in US. No matter how you do the math this better than US$2,201,569 in 692 theaters.

Don't forget about inflation and going to movie was much cheaper back then.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:51 am Reply with quote
The last time they extended a movie's run in the theaters was with Evangelion 3.0 ---and it's yet to be released...Sooooo I guess this extension means we'll see it on dvd/bd next summer I suppose
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2