• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PlayStation 4 Reaches 10 Million Units Sold Worldwide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Persona falls into the category of Final Fantasy clones

Shocked
(I'm going through Persona 4 at the moment, and not even going to touch that one...
Or even make the "Final Fantasy XIII Killed the RPG star" complaint.)

I will say that it's only gamers--or Sony and Microsoft--who think we're buying the consoles for the games....Who the heck buys them for the crappy GAMES???
Ever since the PS3 was "The only Blu-ray player that worked in 2008", we've been living in the "Cut the cord" days of multipurpose set-top boxes that "also" play games: The first thing we heard about X-Box One was "Can you use it as your cable box?"
And the first thing we heard about PS4 was "What? No 3D Blu-ray? Then what's the freakin' point?? Mad "
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
If you're into diverse and variety of games, then you should be playing any type of games, whether single-player or multiplayer, story-focused or creating your own stories, first-person POV or platforming, RPG or sports, whether it's made in Japan or elsewhere, etc. Now that's experimenting. Smile

Diversity doesn't mean accepting everything and not criticizing things, it means having more than a mere few options available to you to pick and choose from, which is becoming less and less over the years.

To the person who keeps trying to force the "RPGs are Japan's shooters" angle, it might be of worth to look up the numbers. The only traditional RPG in the Top 10 selling games last year in Japan was Dragon Quest VII. The rest of the top selling list was made up of puzzle games, simulation games, fighting games, platforming games, action games, and yes, even a shooter. I find that far more of a diverse environment than here I can accept that's where the money is at here these days, but I don't have to like it. It's certainly not a selling point of a console for me, at the very least. Given how little the PS4 in Japan has sold so far, it seems to be the case there too.

SynergyMan wrote:
You play sports games for story and characters? Really? Not even going to bother with some of the other things you've said, but you're not really a gamer.

Are you really using the true gamer insult simply because my preferences and tastes don't align with yours? That seems incredibly juvenile.

-Stuart Smith
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Actually the angle was that none of these games are the same despite being the same genre.

The point is this is a benefit that none of you give to western games.

Which you then proved again in that post.

But I guess that went over your head.

Actually the top selling games in the US for 2013 would be:

1) Grand Theft Auto V-Open world shooter
2) Call of Duty: Ghosts-FPS
3) Madden NFL 25-Sports
4) Battlefield 4-FPS
5) Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag-Open world
6) NBA 2K14-Sports
7) Call of Duty: Black Ops II-FPS
8) Just Dance 2014-Dance
9) Minecraft (Xbox 360 edition)-Lets say sandbox/sim
10) Disney Infinity-Collecting game

So that's:

2 Open world games.
3 FPS
2 Sports
1 Dance
1 Sim
1 Other genre

Here are the top selling games in Japan for 2013.

01.Pokemon X/Y-JRPG
02.Monster Hunter 4-Monster
03.Animal Crossing: New Leaf-Sim
04.Tomodachi Collection -Sim
05.Dragon Quest VII-JRPG
06. Puzzle & Dragons Z-JRPG
07. Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon-Platformer
08. Grand Theft Auto V-JRPG
09. New Super Mario Bros-Plat
10. Wii Party U-Other

So thats:

4 JRPGS
1 Hunting game
2 Sims
2 Platformers
1 Other

So actually both have the same amount of variety in genres when it comes to top ten.

So now before you move the goalpost....

oh wait you already did.

Only Dragon Quest VIII is a traditional jrpg huh? The others get to be other types of jrpgs. That's funny, because you seem to have no problem just putting "shooters" all in one basket.

But JRPGS don't get that treatment.

Man is the bias here not obvious to anyone else?

Ok fine I'll separate CoD and BF4 because they are actually quite different. I mean somehow Pokemon gets special treatment even though it's mechanics haven't changed over how many hears now.

Look I just want you to admit you have an unfair bias against western things and simply just like Japanese games only. That way anytime you critique these things we can safely just ignore you. Because you simply don't want to like them. You're not open to them and you will simply discount them because they are western.

Because what does looking at the top ten of each country even mean. Whats the point? Why must you compare each country. It always has to come back to Japan with people like you. Which tells me it has nothing to do with variety. It really is simply "it has to be japan". There are plenty of western sim and puzzle games that are good that you seem to ignore for no reason. Tons of them, but at the end of the day you seem to focus only on big games and even then ignoring any exceptions and differences so you can put them all in a neat basket for you to ridicule. You don't care about variety, you simply only care about one country over the other. Just admit it and be done with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I was always under the impression that the PS4's main selling point game-wise was Sony's support for indie games.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
06. Puzzle & Dragons Z-JRPG
08. Grand Theft Auto V-JRPG

Neither of these are JRPGs, actually. Puzzle & Dragons is a puzzle game and Grand Theft Auto is a shooter. Luigi's Mansion also isn't a platforming game, it's slow paced and you can not jump in it. It's more of an exploration and item hunting game

Polycell wrote:
I was always under the impression that the PS4's main selling point game-wise was Sony's support for indie games.

I'm not sure how many people consider indie games a system seller. I general find them all to be pretty shallow and unoriginal. I'm waiting for more Japanese games until I buy a PS4.
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's because I've always lived in a multi-console world, even as a kid. But I don't really see the point of arguing what's better. Nor do I understand why people buy consoles before there's games out that they want in the vain hope that it'll get better. I tried that and felt burned in the past.

Wait until games come out that you want. Then buy it. I don't have an Xbox One or a PS4 yet, but I'll likely buy both. I didn't buy PS3 or Xbox 360 right away. I waited until games were out that I really really wanted.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
GTAV is clearly a mistake, but Puzzle and Dragons is a jrpg with the mobile games gameplay.

If you can label something like Infamous SS a shooter then you should have no problem with this shallow dumping of genres like this.

With the correction of GTA and Lugi you have Japan at what 7 different genres compared to the US's 6 different genres.

Either way your little correction was very pointless. It doesn't take away from the overarching point.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:14 pm Reply with quote
@gloverrandal:

GTA's in a genre of its own. There's a reason for the term "GTA clone".
iloveturkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
So on one side we have people saying they don't like shooters, and on the other we have people saying said statements are fueled by some pro-Japanese, anti-American agenda. Completely absurd.

The criticism of an over-saturation of shooters is not limited to people who fancy Japanese games. It's been the target of every major website at one point. It's a major criticism of Shonen Jump Weekly figureheads, the kind who complain about white male soldier protagonists dominating the industry and lacking diversity. The same kind of people who also call Japan immature for creating character designs like Dragon Crown's. I can assure you they're not fueled by some kind of Japan supremacy angle, nor are all the other major gaming sites out there. Most of them don't seem to give Japan much notice at all.

I can't believe this even needs to be said. Is the very idea of criticism so despised? The admittance of one industry might perhaps be better at something than another and everything actually isn't completely equal is seen as sacrilegious? Do people simply not go to other websites and see articles and criticisms on the state of the industry there as well? This is not exactly a new topic being discussed. It's a topic that's been years in the discussion by both people in and outside of the creation process. Japanophiles are not the ones creating these images and criticizing the industry.

Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Whats completely absurd is you can not read.

Because these posts are nothing but pro-Japanese. Everything western sucks. It's an agenda that runs clear as day through this circle's every post.

Do you not read these threads?

Because these threads can not go two minutes without having to compare everything Japan. If this has nothing to do with Japan, why does Japan have to come up?

Can not go two minutes without ignorantly putting every single game in the same category. While surprisingly not doing the same for Japanese games.

They can not go two minutes without drooping a self-gratifying comment. One where the poster feels the need to deride others simply because they like these games. It becomes typical posts like "derp the massess like this". Which are egro stroking and nothing but "oh my taste in my just as safe, generic, and mainstream Japanese game is so much better".

I mean read this thread. Read any video game thread. Glov whatever literately at the end said indie games are all unoriginal and shallow.

Please, that makes no sense, because indie is not an actual description of anything beyond "hey we made this game on our own". It dosen't mean anything. It dosen't say what the game is or what it does. It means nothing, yet apparently all indie games(which I remind you does not describe anything about a game beyond how it was funded) are all bad and unoriginal.

It also dosen't mean just western, but clearly glov made that distinction that indie must just be western when he followed it with "I hope Japanese games come". As if indie is some strange genre unto itself. Oh and they are all shallow.

It's clear that he meant indie+western and thus lets just shove them all aside.

As if Japan means it's automatically good, because they aren't indie and thus apparently not shallow and bad.

It's kind of hard to rationalize that these are simple un-biased critiques when they are that out in the open, but please try.

These critiques don't come from anywhere else but a "everything west sucks" bias. A blind man can see that.

If it was a simple critique of just the problems of western AAA lacking variety(which we can all agree on to a point and really no one disagreed on). Why are any counter points excluded? No exceptions are allowed. All games are labled shooter even though plenty of these games are more then simply shooters or maybe aren't shooters at all. Sure you can complain that a lot of FPS look the same, but then why do all these posters ignore say Wolfenstien that is nothing like CoD and it's ilk. Why does Infamous SS get lumped into despite being nothing like these games? Why does Assassins Creed get discredited just because it's apparently an annual release. Somehow in these arguments that is an automatic fail regardless that AC may actually keep up the quality and is rather unique and it's own thing in a CoD world. It's only western games that get docked for this as things like Dynasty Warriors and Atlier are ignored. Actually all of Japans problems are ignored even though they keep getting brought up for no reason in this supposedly fair critique of western games.

But you apparently can't see any of this and I'm not surprised, because you're the kind of person who clings to the word Shonen Jump Weekly. So it's no surprise that this agenda is blind to you.

But if you weren't blind and could read, you'd see that ikillchicken and myself even stated that it's completely true that shooters dominate the market and there is a lack of variety a bit.

But sure go on you're wild tangents about things that to pertain to ann and it's community which is clearly what is being discussed. You seem to be very good at not actually getting arguments.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:40 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:

enurtsol wrote:
First of all, did you just lump all the sports together? Just because they're sports doesn't mean they're the same. If you're a fan of one or some sports, are you a fan of every sport? Just because one likes futbol doesn't mean one likes baseball. They all play differently - some vastly differently the only similarity they have at all is they're sports. And yes, there are many sports game players when you add up all the different sports games together. (And that's not any different from gaming of days past - there are always sports games players.) That's like saying Japan is nothing but RPGs - yet RPG itself has many varieties.

Most guys in my dorm play all the sports games pretty interchangeably. Basketball, Football, they're fine with all of em. They're all made by the same EA Sports company afterall, right?

Since I already elaborated on this before, I'll just cite it again:

• But my point was that sports is a special kind of genre. Typically, if one likes a certain game genre, one would like to play the best games of that genre. But sports it's different - a futbol sports fan is not necessarily a football sports fan, or vice versa. No matter how best the FIFA or Madden game is, if you're not fan of a sport, you won't play the game - even though you're a sports fan.

There are multi-sports fans, but the main point still stands - if you're not fan of a sport, you won't play the game, no matter how good the sports game is. Unlike other genre, nobody plays good sports games for the sake of being good games - they have to be a fan of the sport first.

FIFA and Madden are made by the same EA company too. Each franchise has sold over 100 million copies. Yet, what portion do you think plays both? Ya can't lump sports fans together because they're sports fans but they're separated by sports - that one thing ya use to lump them together is the same thing that separates them.

DavetheUsher wrote:

Quote:
Also, how many of those are shooters? Are you counting anything that has a gun a shooter? Or first-person point-of-view automatically a shooter?

Well yeah you go around shooting things, it's a shooter. CoD, BF, Wolfenstein, Killzone, Destiny, Watchdogs. Lots of those games on the PS4 currently.

Man, you have a broad definition of shooter. Anything that has RPG element plays the same, and VNs are dating-sims.

DavetheUsher wrote:

I didn't see much on the PSN for PS4 right now. Just some digital copies of PS4 games and Playstation Now. PN seems like a rip off since now you can't buy games you have to rent them. I liked the way PS3 handled it better where its buy to own the classics. Just seems like a money grab now where you got to keep paying to keep it. Really disappointed in Sony for that.

Which games do you think are ripping you off?
Digital PS4 share many of the games with PS3.

dtm42 wrote:
Fedora-san wrote:
That's a really out of place strawman. Minecraft doesn't take place in a modern city in a third person perspective where you go around killing pedestrians. It's a building block game which has spawned it's own legion of clones and knock-offs.

So every third-person sandbox game where you can go around the city killing pedestrians is automatically a GTA clone? Because that's just not true.

The new open-world Zelda is a GTA clone. Twisted Evil

EricJ2 wrote:

I will say that it's only gamers--or Sony and Microsoft--who think we're buying the consoles for the games....Who the heck buys them for the crappy GAMES???
Ever since the PS3 was "The only Blu-ray player that worked in 2008", we've been living in the "Cut the cord" days of multipurpose set-top boxes that "also" play games: The first thing we heard about X-Box One was "Can you use it as your cable box?"
And the first thing we heard about PS4 was "What? No 3D Blu-ray? Then what's the freakin' point?? Mad "

With PlayStation network, Sony goes back to the future in search of revival

• TOKYO — Sony Corp is hammering out plans to rise from the ashes of nearly $10 billion lost in six years by building a future around its last consumer electronics blockbuster - the PlayStation.

Sony plans to reposition the video console warhorse as a hub for a network of streamed services, according to three senior officials, offering social media, movies and music as well as games.

Stuart Smith wrote:

I find that far more of a diverse environment than here I can accept that's where the money is at here these days, but I don't have to like it. It's certainly not a selling point of a console for me, at the very least. Given how little the PS4 in Japan has sold so far, it seems to be the case there too.

If the PS4 is all JRPGs, Japan (and you) will still buy it.

iloveturkey wrote:

I can't believe this even needs to be said. Is the very idea of criticism so despised? The admittance of one industry might perhaps be better at something than another and everything actually isn't completely equal is seen as sacrilegious? Do people simply not go to other websites and see articles and criticisms on the state of the industry there as well? This is not exactly a new topic being discussed. It's a topic that's been years in the discussion by both people in and outside of the creation process. Japanophiles are not the ones creating these images and criticizing the industry.

Oh we have no problem criticizing Western games (ya should see us here arguing mechanics every annual iteration of, say, a sports game Laughing ) as well as Japanese games. The novel question is, can Japanophiles stand to criticize Japanese games. Japanese gamers should stand to greater impart criticism of J-games, that's to improve the industry.

Rahxephon91 wrote:

I mean read this thread. Glov whatever literately at the end said indie games are all unoriginal and shallow.

Please that makes no sense, because indie is not an actual description of anything beyond "hey we made this game on our own". It dosen't mean anything. it dosen't say what the game is or what it does. It means nothing, yet apparently all indie games(which I remind you does not describe anything about a game beyond how it was funded) are all bad and unoriginal.

Doujin games are indie games. Some good, some bad, like everywhere.

(Cracked can be funny.)
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:46 am Reply with quote
@iloveturkey At least those games have objectively better graphics and sound than a lot of JP games, because of obvious reasons. Also, the JP market isn't that diverse either. At least westerners like JP games and though their sales have become more in favor for domestic works, the fact is that JP games sell better in the US, Canada and UK than games from those countries sell in Japan and why is that? Why aren't you criticizing that? It's the Japanese if anything are the ones with a lack of variety! Only our games are good! Western games are shit! Where are your attacks on those kinds of people? Instead, you attack the industry, where a declining Pokemon franchise can sell more in one week than all original western games can ever do in Japan lifetime.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

I am hoping the The Order: 1886 will come to PC eventually.

Not a chance, it's a Playstation 4 exclusive. I don't think a PC port is possible.

enurtsol wrote:

Oh we have no problem criticizing Western games (ya should see us here arguing mechanics every annual iteration of, say, a sports game Laughing ) as well as Japanese games. The novel question is, can Japanophiles stand to criticize Japanese games. Japanese gamers should stand to greater impart criticism of J-games, that's to improve the industry.

They can't, they'll not criticize Japan because to them: Japan is perfect and superior. As a long time fan of anime and anything Japan, I do criticize Japan on a lot of thing. I even criticized South Korea over several issues.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Guile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
At least those games have objectively better graphics and sound than a lot of JP games, because of obvious reasons.

That's one of my main beefs with western produced games, actually. The complete lack of aesthetics. It's always trying to push for photo-realism and making all those characters look as realistic as possible. There's very little originality anymore, it's all the same realistic art style and makes everything look so monotonous. It's hard for me to be invested in western games anymore. I can understand wanting to improve graphics, but it seems most big name developers only focus on graphic fidelity, and forget that graphics exist to serve aesthetics. Once every game has photo-realistic humans and trees, then it ceases to be a unique or fun thing.

In Japan you can go from Mario, to Metal Gear Solid, to Etrian Odyssy, to Final Fantasy, and then to Ni no Kuni and get a ton of different aesthetic styles. Not only that, but there's also a lot more female and kid protagonists and I really enjoy the diversity of characters I get to see. I play games to see stuff I can't see in real life. And now we've reached the point where games like Last of Us, LA Noir, Beyond Two Souls, and the new Silent Hill, where they model the characters after actual actors. Beyond Two Souls even puts the actors names on the boxart like it's a movie poster. I have a deep fear that's where the western industry is heading towards as technology improves. We'll start seeing investors demand actors attached to games as game budgets increase and the line between games and movies becomes even more non-existent.

enurtsol wrote:
Japanese gamers should stand to greater impart criticism of J-games, that's to improve the industry.

I'm perfectly fine with how the Japanese game industry is right now actually. I can't think of a single thing I would change or am unhappy with. Maybe people don't complain because they feel the same way. Just my two cents.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
SynergyMan wrote:
At least those games have objectively better graphics and sound than a lot of JP games, because of obvious reasons.

That's one of my main beefs with western produced games, actually. The complete lack of aesthetics.

enurtsol wrote:
Japanese gamers should stand to greater impart criticism of J-games, that's to improve the industry.

I'm perfectly fine with how the Japanese game industry is right now actually. I can't think of a single thing I would change or am unhappy with. Maybe people don't complain because they feel the same way. Just my two cents.

Well Japanese games have some problems too. Also from what I observe, there's quite a few innovations in Japanese game, I mean Keiji Inafune and Ninja Gaiden's Itagaki has criticized the Japanese gaming industry for not being technologically ahead of western gaming development. I mean like people have complain that FPS are not adding innovation (although I have seem creative ideas in FPS), JRPGs are not adding innovation or creative ideas too and those are becoming rare in JRPGs. Most of the recent JRPGs that have came out and I have seen on Youtube, they all played very similarly, not a lot of cool innovation. Only quite a few like Demon Souls and Dark Souls are an exception.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4