• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Rooster Teeth's RWBY Heads To Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I post this headline right here:

Quote:
海外3DCGアニメ『RWBY』吹き替え版BD・DVD販売決定! コミケで発表

http://kai-you.net/article/7931

I challenge anyone here to go to that website; and any other similar Japanese website and TELL them to correct their "error". Cool Twisted Evil

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Web series?

From JP Wiki:

Quote:
『RWBY』(ルビー)は、アメリカのRooster Teeth Productions(英語版)が制作したWEBアニメリーズ。

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rwby

"Web anime". Just like a various other web anime released, such as Little Witch Academia. This is a Wikipedia entry, in Japanese. Feel free to correct that too, if you feel that it is wrong to label RWBY as anime.

Go right ahead. I won't stop anyone.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
RWBY isn't Japanimation.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
I'm not Monty Oum. I don't have access to his funds. But they did manage to get Warner Bros to sell his/their product now didn't he. What lead up to that? The same way Crunchyroll got money, with product they didn't own.

Part of me is worried about the involvement of Warner Bros. What will happen to RWBY as a product? Will Warner Bros. pressure RoosterTeeth to fit their model of animation, or will they allow RoosterTeeth to continue "doing their thing"?

I just hope, that Warner Bros. will not impose an influence that pressures RT with money to create RWBY as a "kiddy show", which is the general theme of all other American animation. Many of such are produced by Warner Bros. themselves.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
What walw6pK4Alo said.

Really it's just like I said, you guys care more about what RWBY represents than the actual show itself. Says a lot about the show itself Rolling Eyes Japan also calls Curious George anime but I never see anyone use that as "western cartoons can be anime"

Maybe we should go back to using Japanimation so no one can raise a stink about it
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, for my purposes and interpretation, I use the word anime as a stand-in for Japanimation, as in specifically animation produced by Japanese animators and creators primarily for a Japanese audience. There's bleed over here and there for co-pros and other oddities, but Ruhwoobie doesn't at all fit in anywhere.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
On the topic of the "what is anime" question, none of you guys are as buttmad as this guy.
http://imgur.com/sps7uVy
Gotta step it up.

I've been saying it for years; and I'm predicted this day would come, where a US based animator will be considered as an anime creator. The market is speaking; CHANGE is happening.

However, in order to really cement this change, there needs to be even more. From different people, different talents -- all doing one thing: making anime in the United States. Others have come before, namely the creators of Avatar and others that started the question (like Teen Titans, etc.). With RWBY being ported to Japan, no example has been this strong. The dialogue on "my" side on this fence is more so than ever.

What I can hope for now is for more people to follow Monty Oum's shoes. To think, he was just a fan artist making fan videos (Dead Fantasy). But now, he's making it; making money by doing the very thing he likes to do.

The best part: he doesn't care about what I or you - or the next guy - thinks about whether RWBY is anime or not. He'll just keep making it and taking it, where ever the opportunities allow them to.

This is what success is, folks. I'm just happy to be alive to see it. Cool Cool

Lavnovice9 wrote:
Yeah, for my purposes and interpretation, I use the word anime as a stand-in for Japanimation, as in specifically animation produced by Japanese animators and creators primarily for a Japanese audience. There's bleed over here and there for co-pros and other oddities, but Ruhwoobie doesn't at all fit in anywhere.

Unfortunately, that distinction no longer fits. So, what next? It's not just me anymore thinking the whole "American made anime" thing. It's spreading.

For now, sites like MyAnimeList, 4chan, Reddit/anime, and here in ANN, etc. - they all block RWBY as anime. When those walls fall down like a deck of cards, what will you do?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
What's more important, that you enjoy RWBY or that you want it to be Japanese animation? You cannot choose both.

Your post basically confirms that RWBY is for DeviantArtists to vicariously believe through it they can make it in Japan and have their works be called "anime". I've seen scantily clad Touhou MMD videos with better animation than this thing. Either way, I still won't call it anime, and if you allow this then you have to allow stuff like Shadow Chronicles, and nobody wants that.

Even if it was to be called anime. Fine, it's goddamn awful and terribly made anime that only wishes it could aspire to the lofty heights of even Momo Kyun Sword.

KyuuA4 wrote:
For now, sites like MyAnimeList, 4chan, Reddit/anime, and here in ANN, etc. - they all block RWBY as anime. When those walls fall down like a deck of cards, what will you do?

Give it a 1 or 2 rating (out of 10), call it a pile a shit, and move on.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:01 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
What's more important, that you enjoy RWBY or that you want it to be Japanese animation? You cannot choose both.

You miss the point entirely.

I pick both, because I can and I will. If you don't like it, tough. There's absolutely nothing that can stop me from doing that. As far as I know, almost every US anime convention has RWBY cosplayers. Nothing can stop them either.

I've gone from one discussion after another on this topic, with the likes of you people hitting me in the head regarding the "sacred anime definition", as if it was something to be left untouched. To do so, it was considered to be blasphemous.

This whole time, I've taken it; but at the same time, I've fought back, knowing that someone would come through and break the mold. At the same time, others will also see how ludicrous the "anime definition" actually is, in terms of exclusivity and inflexibility. It was a definition bound to break, because it was so rigid. Those, who cling to it, are just as rigid.

Now, the beauty here is: the animation industry in Japan views RWBY as anime. For them to view Monty Oum as their peer, well, that's "jumping the shark". For now, the foot is simply in the door; and Monty is walking right in. How things pan out after that, we'll just have to see.

Anyways, I've been around in the 1990's and even in the 1980's when anime wasn't all that popular. Since then, we both know that anime grew to what it is today. Will American made-anime grow as well? That - no one knows; but I sure hope it will. This country has a lot of potential for that growth.

USA USA USA! Cool

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Even if it was to be called anime. Fine, it's goddamn awful and terribly made anime that only wishes it could aspire to the lofty heights of even Momo Kyun Sword.

As for that review, it is fully accepted. Wink As fans and viewers, we can poop all over any series that comes our way. Personally, I rarely get a chance to, because I either end up dropping crappy series (like Guilty Crown) or just outright not watching them (like Lucky Star). Besides, there's too much stuff to watch nowadays.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Whatever seiyuu they get to dub this will probably be paid more than the show's actual budget per episode.

I assume the English voices were all people the creator knew and got do voice work for him for free which explains their.. performance.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:38 am Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
I've gone from one discussion after another on this topic, with the likes of you people hitting me in the head regarding the "sacred anime definition", as if it was something to be left untouched.

Words can have different meanings in different places.
On ANN "anime" means animation from Japan because that is what this site is about. That might change but I doubt that it will change soon.
For now "anime" means animation in Japan, but it means animation from Japan on ANN.

What is it that you hope to accomplish with your argument about the definition?
Do you want to be able to talk about RWBY in the ANN forums?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:47 am Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:

Now, the beauty here is: the animation industry in Japan views RWBY as anime. For them to view Monty Oum as their peer, well, that's "jumping the shark". For now, the foot is simply in the door; and Monty is walking right in. How things pan out after that, we'll just have to see.

You went from "Warner Bros Japan licenses animated series from America to sell in Japan" to "the entire animation industry in Japan views the show as anime and sees the creator as their peer" which there is zero evidence of.

I get it, this is some weirdo political cause for you but let's not just make things up, OK?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:38 am Reply with quote
It doesn't matter what *Japan* considers "anime". Most of us aren't Japanese and don't live in Japan. Furthermore, this is an American website and the language being used here is English, not Japanese.

In Japan, "Otaku" means someone who has a extreme interest in <something>, regardless of what that thing is. So in Japan you can have train otakus, clothing otakus, car otakus, and manga otakus. That is *not* how the word is defined when used in the US. For us, the word is more narrowly applied to people who have an extreme interest in things like manga and anime only.

KyuuA4, you can say "things are changing" all you want, but that's just your perception, and it doesn't appear to me that many people here on ANN are in agreement with you. All I've seen so far is you repeating yourself over and over, as if repetition will make something true. I'll just say: my definition for anime -- that it is animation from Japan only -- has not changed and will not change, and that's that. In fact, that's all I'm gonna say on this matter from now on, as it's moving into soapboxing territory IMO.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I get it, this is some weirdo political cause for you but let's not just make things up, OK?

Once upon a time, "anime-influenced" didn't exist; but someone made that up. From my view point, that is a relegation from "actual anime". Things get "made up" all the time.

"Weirdo". Wow, you really take me back to memory lane, when I first came to this forum. I'll make this admission. Yea, I'll confess to the notion of "American made anime" as blasphemous. Like I said before, the sheer concept of the "American made anime" was inevitable; and it is more evident now.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
It doesn't matter what *Japan* considers "anime". Most of us aren't Japanese and don't live in Japan. Furthermore, this is an American website and the language being used here is English, not Japanese.

And you bring out an important language issue.

The interesting thing about this is - over the past 4-5 years, I've taken up Japanese mahjong. If there's one language lesson learned here, I could take the terms from Japanese mahjong and adopt it into my own vocabulary, with the Japanese meaning intact. For comprehension, the definitions are written in English; but the "original Japanese" (quoting sub vs dub) is retained.

Nevertheless, while teaching the game to people in anime conventions, I do find myself having the necessity to express game concepts in pure English, instead of bombarding people with game jargon.

The biggest irony to the anime definition - we do not adopt the "original Japanese" definition; and instead, we took a Japanese word and dictated our own definition to suit our tastes. For some reason, the taste of mixing up American stuff with Japanese stuff is not palatable; and based on the reaction of some here, it is also offensive. Apparently, the Japanese are a lot better than we are in this department.

The change regarding anime is not just my perception. It's the truth.

Language etymology has its interesting way of morphing. Remember the days of "Japanimation"? I do. Well, I have news for you. The "anime" term we know now is not immune to language morphing. If you think otherwise, you are seriously kidding yourself. Anime is not a religion and is most definitely subject to change.

The stage that RWBY has taken this discussion is much sooner than I thought; and I herald its success. Hopefully, it does not fail in Japan. Cool If RWBY does fail in Japan, I will be gracious enough to let you and anyone else in this forum to gloat in my face. It would only be fair.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
There is no need to gloat or get upset. RWBY doesnt qualify as Japanimation. KyuuA4 just wants things to change. Wont happen.

@ MrAdventure : Im an animator, I just dont go with the status quo of calling everything "Anime". I use Poser Pro, MMD, Fireworks, MX Flash, Photoshop and After Effects. Dont make me laugh. Been doing this since the Apple llE days.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
There is no need to gloat or get upset. RWBY doesnt qualify as Japanimation. KyuuA4 just wants things to change. Wont happen.

@ MrAdventure : Im an animator, I just dont go with the status quo of calling everything "Anime". I use Poser Pro, MMD, Fireworks, MX Flash, Photoshop and After Effects. Dont make me laugh. Been doing this since the Apple llE days.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9