• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Diabolik Lovers, The Ambition of Oda Nobuna Get English Dubs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
I`m going to get sooo much hate for this, but I don`t care. Does noone understand that vampires CAN be sadistic? Or do people only think of vampires as like the ones in Twilight? I mean for fudge`s sake, I wonder what people would do if the games ever got released outside of Japan...the anime version treats Yui way more nicer than the games do, thats for sure.

But it does surprise me that it is getting a dub though.

You're kind of missing what it takes for vampiric sadism to be tolerable. That is, consequences for sadism. Barring that, it ought to be played for horror. But it's not. It's not even playing seduction as being dangerous, and therefore necessary to avoid. It's playing the danger for consequence-free eroticism at the expense of the heroine. So of course most people would find it intolerable.
Naotomato

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:35 am Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
I`m going to get sooo much hate for this, but I don`t care. Does noone understand that vampires CAN be sadistic? Or do people only think of vampires as like the ones in Twilight? I mean for fudge`s sake, I wonder what people would do if the games ever got released outside of Japan...the anime version treats Yui way more nicer than the games do, thats for sure.

I actually made an account because this interested me just to answer this.

The issue about this anime/otome visual novel game isn't the vampires per say but Yui herself with a majority of people who watched it. She is extremely unrealistic for a person put into such a situation. You hardly feel bad for her because she does nothing against such vampires even when opportunities present themselves (such as the knife she was given to kill them.)

A normal girl wouldn't give sympathy to such captors nor think 'good' of them unless she was really naive and/or stupid. I sat down and watched the anime with an open mind and I could barely stomach the whole thing until the end. I can't understand why she would 'love' any of the guys nor keep expecting the guys to do this and that when they have shown to be sadists and/or attempted to kill her.

The game is much worse yes but it doesn't excuse it nor this anime series. Mind you I love Otome games and I've played Hatoful boyfriend with a racist pigeon but I couldn't deal with this series nor the VN PSP game. Its bad. Starry Sky, UtaPri, even the anime/eroge game by Little Cheese was better.

I won't buy the dvd either nor any goods because I can't support such things like this.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:54 am Reply with quote
Naotomato wrote:
Felicity dash wrote:

The issue about this anime/otome visual novel game isn't the vampires per say but Yui herself with a majority of people who watched it. She is extremely unrealistic for a person put into such a situation. You hardly feel bad for her because she does nothing against such vampires even when opportunities present themselves (such as the knife she was given to kill them.)

A normal girl wouldn't give sympathy to such captors nor think 'good' of them unless she was really naive and/or stupid. I sat down and watched the anime with an open mind and I could barely stomach the whole thing until the end. I can't understand why she would 'love' any of the guys nor keep expecting the guys to do this and that when they have shown to be sadists and/or attempted to kill her.

The game is much worse yes but it doesn't excuse it nor this anime series. Mind you I love Otome games and I've played Hatoful boyfriend with a racist pigeon but I couldn't deal with this series nor the VN PSP game. Its bad. Starry Sky, UtaPri, even the anime/eroge game by Little Cheese was better.

I won't buy the dvd either nor any goods because I can't support such things like this.

So what exactly would you do in this situation?
She does do things for herself and she does retaliate quite a bit.
Have you ever heard of Stockholm syndrome?
That's what it boils down to after they brothers torture her and do things to her she eventually stops trying to fight. A knife would hardly mean much but maybe allow her a few second head start before she's eventually hunted down and more then likely killed.
Of course she ends up sympathizing them especially with a whole mystery going on surrounding not only the brothers but her self as well.

and anyways she doesn't fall in love with anyone in the anime and it barely scratches the surface of what that girl was put through.
puppy1843e

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:04 am Reply with quote
As someone who loves Diabolik Lovers, I'm glad it's getting a dub. Of course people are going to hate on it like they always do. But that's to be expected Rolling Eyes

^And it was strongly hinted (especially in the last two episodes) that she ended up with spoiler[Ayato]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:11 am Reply with quote
puppy1843e wrote:
As someone who loves Diabolik Lovers, I'm glad it's getting a dub. Of course people are going to hate on it like they always do. But that's to be expected :roll

I don't like drawing conclusions about a viewer based on the material that he or she watches. I usually bristle when I see that happening. For myself, the two and a half episodes I could barely stomach were masterpieces of shitty story-telling and ridiculous to boot. It was quite clear that the target audience for the show is people who dig watching a helpless female being terrorized and who also dig watching her "love" her tormentors regardless. Okay, fine. I can easily imagine a perfectly normal, nice person being into this sort of thing even though it skeeves me out enormously.

But anyone who can't seem to understand why this show would be criticized, has to be, by definition, a bit of a douchebag.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:03 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
puppy1843e wrote:
As someone who loves Diabolik Lovers, I'm glad it's getting a dub. Of course people are going to hate on it like they always do. But that's to be expected :roll

I don't like drawing conclusions about a viewer based on the material that he or she watches. I usually bristle when I see that happening. For myself, the two and a half episodes I could barely stomach were masterpieces of shitty story-telling and ridiculous to boot. It was quite clear that the target audience for the show is people who dig watching a helpless female being terrorized and who also dig watching her "love" her tormentors regardless. Okay, fine. I can easily imagine a perfectly normal, nice person being into this sort of thing even though it skeeves me out enormously.

But anyone who can't seem to understand why this show would be criticized, has to be, by definition, a bit of a douchebag.

First @puppy1843e , All he did was hand her his locket she didn't end up with anyone. Otherwise that thing where all the brothers pop on the screen would be pointless. They also would have given stronger romantic hints then what they have given us.

Anyway Secondly,It's not meant for people who are into seeing her getting tormented. It's target audience is and has been people who want to be tormented. Of course there are people who enjoy it without having any sort of feelings towards that stuff but the main audience is mainly that.

So it's less about if this show has the right to be criticized and more that people criticize it don't know what the hell they are talking about when they do.
Krey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:51 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Felicity dash wrote:

Yes they can but when it's done for the entirety of the series giving you absouletly no reason to care for any of the douchebags is it really worth it? I'd think not.

Honestly, the characters all being complete scum made DiaLovers enjoyable for me. It's a dark and nasty reverse harem and I love it.
SF-Christian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:55 am Reply with quote
As stated earlier, yes, the Infinite Stratos 2 Blu-ray is happening. Due to a hold back period, it wont be at the same time as the DVD release, but it will eventually make it stateside.

-SF
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote
#808690 wrote:
Naotomato wrote:
Felicity dash wrote:

That's what it boils down to after they brothers torture her and do things to her she eventually stops trying to fight. A knife would hardly mean much but maybe allow her a few second head start before she's eventually hunted down and more then likely killed.
Of course she ends up sympathizing them especially with a whole mystery going on surrounding not only the brothers but her self as well.

and anyways she doesn't fall in love with anyone in the anime and it barely scratches the surface of what that girl was put through.

But she WAS given an opportunity to run away (forgot which douchebag vampire told her to go). Yet she doesn't take it. She doesn't even stay because she wants to stay with the poor excuses for living beings. She stays because she wants to find out about her father. Then proceeds to complain about how much she hates it at the mansion. So yeah I don't see anything realistic about her character. Any sensible person would choose to escape not continue to be tortured for the rest of their lives. It's not realistic at all.

Also the brothers hardly even care about each other. If she killed one of them in her way I doubt the dickheads would care. The show makes it a point to show just how self serving they are. Heck the only reason they keep Yui alive is so they can suck on her blood for the rest of her life (that's pretty much what the montage is saying). So yeah I'm calling BS on this situation being realistic.
Izu0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Diabolik lovers getting dub is better than Amnesia getting dub, we'll see how this goes.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:40 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
#808690 wrote:
Naotomato wrote:
Felicity dash wrote:

But she WAS given an opportunity to run away (forgot which douchebag vampire told her to go). Yet she doesn't take it. She doesn't even stay because she wants to stay with the poor excuses for living beings. She stays because she wants to find out about her father. Then proceeds to complain about how much she hates it at the mansion. So yeah I don't see anything realistic about her character. Any sensible person would choose to escape not continue to be tortured for the rest of their lives. It's not realistic at all.

Also the brothers hardly even care about each other. If she killed one of them in her way I doubt the dickheads would care. The show makes it a point to show just how self serving they are. Heck the only reason they keep Yui alive is so they can suck on her blood for the rest of her life (that's pretty much what the montage is saying). So yeah I'm calling BS on this situation being realistic.

She was given a knife that's it, there's no telling if escaping would have done anything especially considering they keep tabs on her at all times. If she had run away she would have had no where to go and no where to turn to. The only person she knew her whole life abandoned her and what she supposed to do? Live out on the street? You aren't thinking realistically.

First off it's not a matter if she could kill one of the brothers because she couldn't, their vampires I don't know what you don't get about her being a normal human girl but considering what they had to do to kill one vampire in the passed it's not a simple task. So the most she could do is stab and run.

Second off like I said Stockholm syndrome plays a big part in this as well.

Apparently you think every normal teenage girl would be able to over power 6 vampires or that they wouldn't take actions against her if she left. She did clearly try to use the phone in one episode outside the mansion and they used magic to stop the call. They also chased her into a church.
SUPER_METR0lD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote
No BluRay, no buy on IS2. I just can't justify investing in an outdated format. A shame, as I enjoyed the first season.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:43 am Reply with quote
I simply cannot believe Sentai is going to dub Diabolik Lovers. REALLY?

Trying to watch those lines dubbed would probably be the most cringe-worthy thing ever. I almost would want to buy the DVD just to see how much I could stand! But no, not gonna do it. So curious, though.

Whoever gets cast as Laito and Kanato has got some damn awkward times ahead of them in the recording studio. Good lord I don't know how the Japanese actors did it... Hats off to the professionals.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:14 am Reply with quote
SUPER_METR0lD wrote:
No BluRay, no buy on IS2. I just can't justify investing in an outdated format. A shame, as I enjoyed the first season.

The bluray is coming out later. There is always on a holdback period on TBS blurays.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:25 am Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:
I simply cannot believe Sentai is going to dub Diabolik Lovers. REALLY?

Trying to watch those lines dubbed would probably be the most cringe-worthy thing ever. I almost would want to buy the DVD just to see how much I could stand! But no, not gonna do it. So curious, though.

all you gotta do is wait for the dub to show up on TAN, sign up for free two week subscription, watch an episode, satisfy your curiosity then unsubscribe
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3