• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 "Gateway" Anime Sure to Get Newbies Hooked

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Kind of surprised the list didn't include any movies or short OVA series since time investment can be hurdle as well. Also knowing if they have a particular genre they're fond of helps.

Sword of the Stranger
Redline
Children Who Chase Lost Voices
Short Peace
Summer Wars
Ninja Scroll
Wings of Honneamise
Actar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how culturally situated this list is, like if this list will work in other countries, be it Japan, Singapore, Thailand or England.

Regardless, I never generalize when recommending anime to my friends and always take into account their tastes and preferences before choosing what anime to start them off with.

Works every time.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Ranho wrote:
*removes Psycho Pass, Tenchi-Muyo and Fruits Basket*

*removes Tenchi Muyo, and replaces with Tenchi Universe*
(Muyo is pure head-beating frustration a first-timer just doesn't need...)

Although thanks to new revivals/re-licensing, we're reminded why there was no mainstream gateway like a 90's gateway:
Ranma 1/2, Sailor Moon, Slayers Cool

("But those are too OLD!"
Oh, and Cowboy Bebop and Tenchi OVA are still fresh as a daisy? We've got kids today who weren't even alive when those were airing for free on CN.)

Last edited by EricJ2 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
A true gateway show has to be one that would encourage someone who isn't already into anime to take it seriously as entertainment and as an art form.

That's all I'm quoting, but you were spot on with the rest of your post as well.

I've had good luck with Kino's Journey. People who I thought I'd never convince asked to see more episodes. You can also start them with your favorite episodes so they don't have to wait for the best ones. Mushi-shi would work on those same people I think.

Eden of the East is hardly episodic, but it's got such a sharp opening hook that I think people would stick with it. Not for your family though, because johnnies and all. Smile

I think the main obstacle with Monster is those first 3.8 episodes. Slow as death to mainstream audiences before the first shockwave hits. That's a bit to ask from non-fans, unless you're there watching with them and have them tied to the couch. Smile Then again, that's probably the preferred method to introduce anyone...

For a number of people I'd recommend Zipang, except that it doesn't end and the dub is horrific.

Actar wrote:
Regardless, I never generalize when recommending anime to my friends and always take into account their tastes and preferences before choosing what anime to start them off with.

This really has to be the starting point for any recommendation.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm genuinely surprised at the lack of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex on this list, or was that because Psycho-Pass is too similar? ... seriously, I'm asking. I've never seen Psycho-Pass, though Netflix thinks I'd love it.
unready

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
I'm genuinely surprised at the lack of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex on this list, or was that because Psycho-Pass is too similar? ... seriously, I'm asking. I've never seen Psycho-Pass, though Netflix thinks I'd love it.

I'd rate Ghost in the Shell quite a bit above Psycho-Pass. They're both police procedurals in form with some big ideas that start in the background but eventually make it to the foreground, but the villain in Psycho-Pass is a total stereotype (red-eyed albinos are evil), and the series as a whole is a re-tread of a lot of SF ideas that work better elsewhere. The implementation of a futuristic fascist state even harkens back to an old Star Trek episode (and not one of the good ones). I don't think the Psycho-Pass villain ever sticks out his tongue while his eyes go wide in a maniacal laugh, but it wouldn't have been out of place if he did.

Ghost in the Shell, on the other hand, is essentially cyber-punk. (Supposedly cyber-punk became huge in Japan when William Gibson set a significant fraction of his Neuromancer universe there.) I know a lot of people that just didn't get the whole cyber-brain thing, so that would be a hurdle. The music is good, though. That helps.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
A true gateway show has to be one that would encourage someone who isn't already into anime to take it seriously as entertainment and as an art form. Except for Cowboy Bebop, all of the shows on the list and virtually recommendation in this forum would drive people away from anime, not attract them..

That is an extreme generalization and it doesn't even make sense. It sounds like you saying that your taste is perfect and all encompassing while other's recommendations are apparently a complete turn off for everyone. That's pretty pretentious.

I have gotten literally dozens of people into anime through many of the recommendations on the list and in this thread. Everyone has different tastes, genres and things that they are interested in.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Maka isn't even really a blonde in 90% of the images I can find of her. Is she supposed to be blonde? Most images of her have like greyish hair....I would've omitted her
Lusbox

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
TnKtRk wrote:

Sword of the Stranger
Redline
Summer Wars

These were actually 3 of the very first things i got recommended, and they certainly worked.
I agree that an episode count does seem daunting at first.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote
AKIRA, Project A-ko, and Lodoss were some of the bigger gateways in the past. If the person you're trying to persuade in the right mindset, maybe something overly Japanese and foreign to their sensibilities is exactly what they need. Maybe try to ask what the people are already into before lobbing these general recommendations at them.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
My List:

I'd recommend a few underdogs like Last Exile and Beck. Anyone into aviation and music will be attracted to what they see on the surface, but they'll also be introduced to a good story.

Baccano! isn't really an underdog but it's certainly capable of pandering to America's love for violence the way Black Lagoon does. Black Lagoon is a nice choice for America, but it doesn't have Ladd Russo Twisted Evil

Trigun is a must-watch for anyone new to anime.

I'd also replace Bebop with Shinichiro Watanabe's true masterpiece, Samurai Champloo. It's historical, and people generally like rap/hip-hop more than jazz. If people want science-fiction, they can check out Serial Experiments Lain. It's practically The Matrix without all the guns.

And finally, FLCL. It's only six episodes, has an amazing English dub, and most of all, it's just flat-out entertaining to watch.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Ranho wrote:
Philmister978 wrote:
Ranho wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
Black Lagoon, oh god, the second season, what a pile. I feel like an idiot buying the full set based on the excellent first season.

Haha, really? It does get super OTT with the Romanian twins and the Yakuza/Russian Mafia arcs but again it's down to aesthetics and atmosphere. You know, the whole "This island's inhabitants are all corrupt sociopaths"

Plus if I'm not mistaken, those things were still in the manga. Just not as OTT as the anime was with them.

So if there's really any problem, it's with the source material itself, and not its adaptation.

You know what's funny? Out of all the anime I've watched and all the anime I've tried to recommend to my anime-viewing friends, "Black Lagoon" is the one they refuse to watch lol

I don't know why I enjoyed it as much as I did, especially given the fact that I was new to anime at the time and was aware that some anime went "there" with the violence.

I think it was just the contrast between Revy and Rock. None of the madness in the series mattered as much as how these two characters changed one another in opposite directions (Revy towards good, Rock towards bad).

Ah well, you can't take away the fact that this show is one among only a few with a dub that surpasses the sub.

When Revy says "Rrrrock!" Ooh, the chills! lol

It's not hard to enjoy it, nor is it hard to realize why it's received its acclaim. But obviously it's not for everyone (then again, Anime as a whole is not for everyone).

I personally got into it becuase of a lot of things, the dub chief among them. But I eventually got into the characters and liked how the series took a grim approach to the whole "Badass-itude" thing.

Also, that theme song kicks ass.
MangaRocks!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop is indeed the usual go-to "gateway" for most (in fact, I'm very surprised that it's at the last spot instead of #1), however I'm also quite surprised that neither Baccano!, Steins;Gate, nor Mushishi are on this list at all. The first two of those are great "gateways" for people with particular tastes (Baccano! for people who love complex plots that make you think and also don't mind some rather graphic violence, Steins;Gate for sci-fi/time-travel fans), and Mushishi is my personal favorite go-to "gateway" to recommend to any and all of my fellow adults, since it contains no fanservice or graphic violence whatsoever, yet it is beautifully and maturely written (in the dictionary sense, not the content sense).
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:44 pm Reply with quote
MangaRocks! wrote:
Cowboy Bebop is indeed the usual go-to "gateway" for most (in fact, I'm very surprised that it's at the last spot instead of #1)

Per the text at the top of the article, they're not in ranked order this time. It's just an unordered list.
MangaRocks!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
Per the text at the top of the article, they're not in ranked order this time. It's just an unordered list.

Ah, my bad. Still, the rest of my post stands. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10