• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Naruto Shippuden

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kayori1928

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote
At this point what is the point of having useless filler. The manga is DONE!
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:08 am Reply with quote
kayori1928 wrote:
At this point what is the point of having useless filler. The manga is DONE!

Slots need to be filled. The production committee has scheduled the series for a certain number of slots across a certain number of months. It's necessary to fill those slots. Most of the franchise's regular talented in-house and freelance key animators have been busy working on The Last: Naruto The Movie. For them to work on the final fight would require months for a high-quality episode or two to be produced. You can't have that if the series speeds towards those chapters, so it is necessary to conserve chapters as possible.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:49 am Reply with quote
Judging by the preview, next week's episode looks like a Gaara-themed clip show. Sure to be a treat for the zero fans who are unfamiliar with said character's history.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode #388 only covered about 6.5 pages of Chapter #656. If you look at the circumstances of which it was produced it makes a lot of sense. The production committee wants an episode but Series Director Date Hayato knows that staff is currently running low thanks not only to the 170 different animated series in production in 2014 but because his best regular in-house and freelance episode directors and animators have all been busy working on The Last: Naruto The Movie. As such the pace is slowed down so that the important moments are not reached before talented staff is again available.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Considering that the manga is over, I don't see why the animators feel the need to pan this thing out more than necessary. Just adapt it 100% from this point on, you've got all the material and nothing afterward to keep up with.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm not disputing any of the facts you presented, JaconYBM, but when I tune in to see yet another boring clip show, my reaction isn't "Well, this sucks, but since the series' most talented staffers are currently tied up with other projects, I guess I can give them a break." I think the reviewer hit the nail on the head when she stated that the show has an obligation to be entertaining despite whatever's going on behind the scenes.
ChrisKris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
This war is SO EPIC.
I've seen MORE Flashbacks/Fillers then the war itself.

I got a feeling that the maker(s) of Naruto (shippuuden) thinks all those people who watch it are retards.

If you ask me why? I will say...

I don't mind about a little Flashbacks. I don't mind it if you gonna retell a Flashback. But after 3rd time you should stop it.
But nope they can retell you an Flashback arc more then 5/6 times.
So it gives me a feeling that everyone who watch it are retards...

Manga completed still airing useless fillers/flashbacks. Instead of going further...
Gonna skip next episode too.
There are better Anime's out there to waste my time then this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:50 am Reply with quote
Gaara is one of my favorite characters so I was looking forward to this (if you must do flashbacks, do them for someone I like!). So how did they manage to make it so boring? It was like watching Gaara Cliff Notes with all the emotion stripped away, and just the facts, ma'am, remaining.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:33 am Reply with quote
Welp, the DVR crapped out last night, but I see I missed nothing.

"Shippuuden" (Racing-Wind Legend)? Bah! They should have called it "Soyokazeden" (Gentle Breeze Legend) instead.

It would be nice to have the rest of the series be well-paced, but if they did that, it would be a first since this one-foot-on-the-accelerator-and-one-foot-on-the-brake series started. (32 eps for the Kazekage Rescue arc that started it, IIRC. THIRTY TWO EPISODES!!)

OTOH, the fact that they're doing stealth reruns adding up to whole episodes' worth of content at least gives me hope that their top guys are cooking up something awesome for spoiler[Guy vs. Madara] or spoiler[Naruto vs. Sasuke, Final Round] down the pike.

This kind of thing must suck for anyone still buying the DVDs, though.

Say it with me: KAI! KAI! KAI! KAI! KAI!
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:04 am Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
Randomly selecting a character to get a spotlight (a trend that seems like it'll continue next week)

To be fair, next week's episode is a tie-in to the movie, which will be released on Dec. 6th in Japan (like Pierrot Studio has done with the release of Road to Ninja: Naruto the Movie). So, while I can see why you would think that next week's episode is another clip show, it isn't quite true.
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:02 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:

Never gonna happen. If the studio can't be bother to do a remake of YuYu Hakusho, Naruto has no chance.

Oh, and this episode was garbage. The manga has ended. Why do they still feel the need to pad out crap? I know that The Last: Naruto The Movie has stretched the staff and all but that doesn't stop you from continuing the damn plot.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
Second Fire Shadow wrote:
vanfanel wrote:

Never gonna happen. If the studio can't be bother to do a remake of YuYu Hakusho, Naruto has no chance.

Oh, and this episode was garbage. The manga has ended. Why do they still feel the need to pad out crap? I know that The Last: Naruto The Movie has stretched the staff and all but that doesn't stop you from continuing the damn plot.

1. Studio Pierrot does not fun the series themselves, they have TV Toukyou foot the majority of the bill because animation studios don't have a lot of money, especially for a long-running project.

2. They're buying time. They want to give the last chapters their best shake and they can't do that when guys like Yamashita Hiroyuki, Kouda Masayuki, Kobayashi Naoki, Sessha Gorou, Suzuki Hirofumi, Nishio Tetsuya, Tsuru Toshiyuki, Matsumoto Norio and any of their connections are all busy either just finishing work on The Last: Naruto The Movie or other television series. Just one good episode alone is going to require three-to-five months to produce. Episodes #322, #345, and #375 were in production for about that long.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I thought the timing was kind of strange, too. Why do a Gaara-themed clip show at this point? I mean, I like Gaara as much as the next Naruto fan, but his time in the limelight is essentially over. Naruto's shining influence has the power the change lives. MESSAGE RECEIVED.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
I thought the timing was kind of strange, too. Why do a Gaara-themed clip show at this point? I mean, I like Gaara as much as the next Naruto fan, but his time in the limelight is essentially over. Naruto's shining influence has the power the change lives. MESSAGE RECEIVED.

I can think of 2 primary possibilities:
1. The manga just ended, and the final tankōbon hasn't been released yet, so Pierrot might stall for a bit until all the tankōbons are out, and then adapt the remaining episodes.

2. The 7th Naruto movie will be released in Japan at Dec. 6th, and Pierrot is airing a tie-in episode (like they did with the 6th film), so maybe not to reach a stage where they air a (by the lack of a better word) Faithful episode, the next episode is Tie-in, and then back to Faithful, they chose Filler, Tie-in, (maybe back to) Faithful.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:

Gaara had a bit of focus in the comic during around this point. The episode still covered 6.5 pages of Chapter #656. Those pages were expanded upon because it saved time, money, and talent for more important areas of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 44