• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Aldnoah.Zero

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:21 pm Reply with quote
One possibility is that Slaine Troyard tries to spoiler[pull a Lelouch Lamperouge-like move and to create the better world that Asseylum Vers Allusia has dreamt about (and still is? That is yet to be seen) by carrying the Vers Empire's sins unto himself, magnifying them to new levels with he himself as the the leader and the public figurehead (thus directing Earthlings' hatred toward him) and then dying - has to be by an external force; suicide would just redirect the hate to the Vers Empire as a whole - thus dissipating the the old thoughts and rivalries]
If that's true, that means that A-1 Pictures is trying to make a similar move in 24 episodes, while it took Sunrise 50.

Of course, I have no backing scenes and information beyond the vagueness of the overall story and my own imagination.

ANN's Aldnoah.Zero's episode 18's review wrote:
This time Inaho is merely the spotter rather than the gunner, but that doesn't change the fact that his tactical guidance and Magic Eye (which it will hereafter be called!) is once again the key to victory,

_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
*Watched first two episodes of season 2 after saving up episodes*
My first reaction was: spoiler["F*ck, he's still alive."]
Oh well, I guessed as much. Although it seems Inaho has gained a pinch of emotion in episode one, it was pretty much out of the question he was the same in episode two as he was in season one. And look! He even got his own
Hameyadea wrote:

*sigh* I have a feeling I won't like this season.

So let me get this straight, the Terrans have technology as small as an eyeball that can act as a supercomputer, calculate the trajectory of flying objects, use 3D sizing to find the shape and weight of objects, detect lies, and fire 100% accuracy in a space vacuum, yet they do not continue testing and producing it, instead giving it to only one high school student soldier. Whaaaat? You know, if I were them, I would research this amazing piece of technology and give them to any volunteers who were brave enough to go through surgery for the sake of protecting Earth. I can see absolutely no reason why this technology is only given to Inaho and works like a charm with no side effects, but they do not have the budget to give it to another person? Instead of wasting bullets firing in space where you know you probably won't hit anything, why not devote your resources to something that will literally make your soldiers into super soldiers?
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:41 am Reply with quote
1. Inaho is doing some of that himself.
2. A lot of of what you're talking about is based on tweaks Inaho has done to the eye's programming.
3. It's supposed to have side effects if overused - a ball that is waiting to drop at some point. (In fact, I wouldn't at all be surprised if that tidbit leads to him not surviving at the end of the series.

The above points are all brought up in later episodes than you've seen, _Cyphon_. The next part is speculation:

4. It could be a prototype, and if you're going to make a prototype like that, why not give it to the one guy who's proven effective at directly combating Martian Kataphrakts and has just gotten his eye shot out?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:32 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
1. Inaho is doing some of that himself.
2. A lot of of what you're talking about is based on tweaks Inaho has done to the eye's programming.
3. It's supposed to have side effects if overused - a ball that is waiting to drop at some point. (In fact, I wouldn't at all be surprised if that tidbit leads to him not surviving at the end of the series.

The above points are all brought up in later episodes than you've seen, _Cyphon_. The next part is speculation:

4. It could be a prototype, and if you're going to make a prototype like that, why not give it to the one guy who's proven effective at directly combating Martian Kataphrakts and has just gotten his eye shot out?

I get what you're saying, Key, but even if Inaho is doing some of the calculations himself, the eye should still provide normal soldiers with some pretty good benefits in battle and at least help them so they can aim a little better in space. They can just have Inaho tweak the other eyes they use as well. For the side effects, they just have to watch how much they use their eyes like how Inaho used the eyepatch during episode 2.
Supposedly season 2 is 19 months after the first season? Even if rehab for Inaho took like a year, they would have had plenty of time to test out the new technology. Ok, maybe they're testing it out in combat to see how well it works. But why is no one following him around and recording his experiences with the eye? I would think that a technology of this level would need close surveillance and observations, or at least some sort of body guard since he's such a valuable test subject?
I could be just ahead of myself, so I'm going to hold off on my other questions until I can watch more episodes.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:33 am Reply with quote
Another note about Inaho's Magic Eye: it was hinted in one of Inaho's monologues that the Eye is somewhat sentient, since he discussed a possible course of action with it, IIRC. (It could also be a communication device). If that's true, it might be a smart A.I. - either friendly, a la Halo's Cortana; or more of the logical type, a la 2001: A Space Odyssey's HAL 9000

Coupled with the possible brain damage due to the increased load the Eye places on the user's brain (and Inaho has tweaked the firmware for a higher output, so his load is even higher), it will be interesting to see (if there's an A.I.), how it'll react to it user's increased strain.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
So I watched episode 15 and 16, and I didn't really get much out of it except for the Odin reference in which we can now officially call Inaho a "God of Mechas". Some character development here, some cool mecha action there, all I could fixate on was how op Inaho was. It's not a mystery that I don't like Inaho and generally favor Slaine, but I know what the root of my dislike comes from. I forgot which episode it was, but in Season 1 we saw spoiler[Inaho betray Slaine after their fight with the Martian Kataphrakt with flying arms]. If someone could please give a logical reason for this, because I have completely no clue as to why he would do that.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:04 am Reply with quote
Unless I misunderstood, Inaho judged from their conversation that Slaine would work to prevent Earth from exploiting Asseylum to their benefit, interfering with his own plans. Slaine's personal feelings could also be guessed at from that conversation, so if you like, you could also assume he was getting rid of a romantic rival Smile.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:20 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Unless I misunderstood, Inaho judged from their conversation that Slaine would work to prevent Earth from exploiting Asseylum to their benefit, interfering with his own plans. Slaine's personal feelings could also be guessed at from that conversation, so if you like, you could also assume he was getting rid of a romantic rival Smile.

You actually spoke exactly what I was thinking.... but this just makes me dislike him more. Usually I like emotionless overpowered anti-hero male leads, but this guy is an anomaly.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I understand why you might have that reaction, and I don't think viewers taking sides and hating one protagonist while barracking for the other is outside the writers' intentions. I found it really interesting, though, personally. There aren't many anime protagonists cold-blooded enough to absently attack an ally because they might inconvenience saving the planet, and if it really was (also?) for romantic reasons, that makes him even more of a sociopath. The people seeing him as a stereotypical mecha protagonist aren't looking hard enough imho.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I think a big downfall for Aldnoah is that they never show the viewers how Inaho thinks or how his thought process works. In Code Geass, Lelouche had a lot of inner dialogue showing viewers how he thought and how he reached his decisions. We have none of that in Aldnoah. Inaho just sort of does things to his own discretion and we as viewers a lot of times aren't very clear as to why he does it, such as the betrayal of Slaine scene. Going along, a lot of viewers will take it for granted that he has the solution for everything, but we aren't really given a justification of how he gets those solutions.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Actually, this was a pretty good episode. Some great plot twists and good action scenes, and did Inaho acutally smile!? what in the world...Slaine is so far the most interesting character, I was a little suprised at his master plan. Anyway, we finally see a battle where Inaho actually works in a team as opposed to everyone standing back while he does his thing.

_Cyphon_ wrote:
I think a big downfall for Aldnoah is that they never show the viewers how Inaho thinks or how his thought process works.

I agree, not just Lelouch, I'd also add that with L from Death Note, the viewer knows exactly what his reasoning is and what's he trying to do. Inaho is almost like this black box. We don't really know what he's thinking or how he does things, but the result is that he can still pull off an elaborate plan.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
So I finally watched 17 and 18, and it was like a normal episode of Aldnoah.Zero, so really not much to say. I'm really interested in how the next episode will go, with the princess awakening and all that. I sure hope it doesn't go something along the lines of her bitch-slipping Slaine and running over to Inaho, because that will probably make me drop this show right then and there.

I don't know if anyone else thinks this, but I feel that something in this show needs to be sacrificed. Up until now no one significant has been killed except for expendable soldiers. This makes the show seem a bit unrealistic because in war a lot of people die, and not just the insignificant ones. Even the possible deaths from the end of season 1 were rejected. I feel that someone needs to be killed off, be it a main character or a side character, because with this big cast of characters we currently have and absolutely no one dies in war even though they are front line battlers, it kind of seems unrealistic. For example, even though Yuki was battling the laser Kataphrakt this episode and seemed like she had a chance to die, I knew that of course she wouldn't because Inaho's eye could protect his friends and no one significant ever dies due to him. I don't think that's what the creators were aiming for.
MeisterYM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
Is it me or is there no actual rating?

If not then the episode must have been really good Razz

[EDIT: Ugh. Typo corrected. - Key]
ebv2406

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
No rating for ep 19? ...ook
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:26 am Reply with quote
this episode was rated to high is broke the rating system?

I can't wait until inaho becomes a mecha magi. if anything I was expecting that in the previous season when they found the ship and a mecha.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 24