• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Aldnoah.Zero

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chidori290

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:45 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
Hellwarden wrote:
So, I've only watched up to, I believe, the 6th episode.

Does the story ever get over the problem of spoiler[Inaho just sucking the tension out of every single combat engagement? Because once I realized Inaho is gonna be able to just think his way out of every fight, boy does all the cool mecha action seem hallow.]

That said, it the show certainly looks nice. And the musical score is pretty good.

No he is perfect. Too perfect. He must be an android Wink

I think inaho is being logical is all, calm and collective, that's what you would want from your ace guy. also it is a nice contrast to the rest as they can do all the emotional shouting etc

I am quite surprised inaho gets alot of criticism online (same on random curiosity) I think he fits the 'it's the quite ones you need to watch out for' line quite well.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:42 am Reply with quote
I think Inaho calm demeanor may be changing, if you look at new intro of episode 21. There crying reaching out for Asseylum.

Slain is good and bad guy, fighting for the little guy but has to kill alot Earthnoids to do it, by establishing his own empire on Earth.

There still alot more slots to fill in before we get to the point of how this is going swing, one thing is certain. I don't honestly think this the end of the road for Aldnoah.Zero by end of the 25th episode.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think inaho is being logical is all, calm and collective, that's what you would want from your ace guy. also it is a nice contrast to the rest as they can do all the emotional shouting etc

I am quite surprised inaho gets alot of criticism online (same on random curiosity) I think he fits the 'it's the quite ones you need to watch out for' line quite well.

His personality by itself is not bad. However, there are a lot of, should I say, "holes" in his character design.
1. Unreasonably and unrealistically overpowered
2. Complete lack of negative emotions
3. Illogical decisions
Let me build on this a little.
1. It isn't as ridiculous if this were a fantasy anime, but when you have something that is partially realistic, having a high school student be this genius is unrealistic. A big problem is that the Martians were shown to completely overpower the humans in the first season where one Martian Kataphrakt could kill whole squadrons of earth Kataphrakts. Then this supposed genius boy comes along and kills them like it is nothing. Or maybe this is contributed to the utter lack of intelligence in the regular soldiers.
2. You know, I love anti-heroes. When I see an emotionless main character who's badass and overpowered, I get instantly hype. The thing is, emotionless doesn't necessarily mean "emotionless" for me. When I say "emotionless" I mean the lack of positive emotions. I still enjoy seeing negative emotions because everyone is human. Apparently Inaho isn't since he doesn't show any sign of negative emotions at all. He's way too robotic for his own good. The audience gets a sense that he doesn't care about anything. Remember that super amazing death of Inaho's friend at the beginning of season one? Well, one of your best friends just died, and you act like nothing happened. Such a great friend you are. He doesn't even look like he's half trying when fighting the Kataphrakts. We never get a sense that he's working for something, and his robotic personality makes it seem as though he's perfect and without flaws.
3. There are a TON of questions about the sh*t he pulls but is never answered. Probably just poor story writing though.
There you go, three reasons why people may dislike him.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and it seems like some of this is changing in the second season, so people's opinions of him might change.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching World Trigger and it dawned on me this week that the protagonist Yuma is the same sort of character that Inaho is. Duckface aside, I really enjoy Yuma's stoic expressions (or lack of expression) during battles and negotiations. He never appears to get angry (but we know when he is), he never raises his voice, he says what he has to say efficiently and with minimal inflection.

It's interesting that this same lack of expression is so annoying in Inaho. The only difference is that I can see Yuma thinking and analyzing behind his mask, while Inaho just seems to be a completely opaque box that spews out data solutions on demand. I don't see any gears turning when he looks at things (except for his magic eye focusing and computing), he's just collecting data. Hal 9000 had more personality than Inaho does.

Given the bargain-basement animation of WT though, I can't figure out just how they're accomplishing conveying that insight into Yuma's inner life, where Aldnoah, with its far superior animation, fails so completely at it.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
episode 22:

so, inaho finally gained feelings, that declaration of love was far more romantic that what I was expecting; nice to seee him finally developing a personality.
IKKIsama

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Something I've noticed over the last 2 episode and don't like : once the battle theme kicks in you know the battle scene will only last 2 minutes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
nice to seee him finally developing a personality.

Funny, I was just mentioning Hal 9000... I never expected that would actually be the personality he'd develop. :D
HamoodSolid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
last episode had so much stuff going on ,idk how they fit it in one episode but they did it right.
As for todays episode , so tense, especially the small conversation between Inaho and Slaine ,cept this time it is reversed
i don't care about people saying this show isn't good,it's too good not to watch.
GO TEAM INAHO Cool
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:45 pm Reply with quote
also poetic justice served right away, just a few minutes after lemrina told seylum that people don't necesarily want to get saved, seylum gets saved by someone she did not necesarily wanted to get saved by.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:46 pm Reply with quote
That position switch wasn't exactly unexpected, there were several hints hinting at this in past episodes. However, hearing it spoken so straightforwardly was a bit of a surprise. Does Slaine realize what he is doing is exactly like what Inaho was doing in season 1 is the question. And once again I have to express my irritation at the death of so many fodder characters and not even a single main cast death so far. Cruhteo Jr. was interesting, and it will be interesting to see what he will do next episode. I'm rather skeptical about the legitimacy of Inaho's "artificial intelligence" eye. Even if he did program it I have a hard time believing he was able to learn so complex programming in school, and there is no way the eye came like that. Once again, why are the Terran's not utilizing this technology?! They should have a sufficient amount of data now to produce more of these and give them to willing soldiers!
Quote:
GO TEAM INAHO Cool

GO TEAM SLAINE Cool
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
yeah, that's one of the elephants in the room, if someone like inaho exists either he should get special treatment, or more people like him should exist for him not to.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I do believe this is going to be one of a tearjerker finale especially if you are a sympathizer of slane's character. Over the series of season 2 we've seen slane slowly transform from a vilanious duotaganist to a villian. I loved every moment of it and it reminds me alot of a manhwa 'a fairytail for a demon lord'. Whenever I see slane I'm reminded of the image of orobous
Quote:
The ouroboros often symbolizes self-reflexivity or cyclicality, especially in the sense of something constantly re-creating itself, the eternal return, and other things such as the phoenix which operate in cycles that begin anew as soon as they end. It can also represent the idea of primordial unity related to something existing in or persisting from the beginning with such force or qualities it cannot be extinguished.

This to me seems like a perfect summary of slane's role throughout the second series.

Count Saazbaum started the war because he couldn't forgive the Royal family
Slane killed Count Saazbaum because he couldn't forgive his treatment of the princess

The first Martian kataphrat pilot whose name I can't remember planed to kill everyone who outlived their usefulness.
Slane was ready to dispose of lemrina once she finished her task.

And the most recent dialogue between Inaho and Slane is self explanatory.

Heck even his reason to 'present' the subjugated new Kingdom to Asseylum was most likely influenced by his experiences on the 'villanious' side of the show if we consider Inaho's side to be the heroic one, what with Inaho's comparison with Odin.

It's probably going to be an even more tragic ending than that of code geass sine lelouch was a villainous protagonist to the end whilt Slane has so far degraded to a Villan with the loss of sympathy from all the 'good' characters. I honestly don't know what the writers can do to redeem Slane because if they handel it poorly it'll be another crappy season 1 ending.

To anyone interested In this manhwa spoiler[ we are introduced to a 'nameless Knight' who saves the princess but is badly injured and regenerated by the princess in the spitting image of a young Odin who is nearing the end of his life and is the ruler of the kingdom. Through a series of events the princess is captured by the 'good guys' and the nameless Knight who shares an almost romantic bond with her decides to save her and cut down all in his path. Throughout his journey he becomes so corrupted that upon meeting her again she is physically unable to recognize him since he shed his heroic features and eventually succumbs to the fate of a demon Lord if it means he can protect her from all harm. A character points out that the true villain of the story (mirroring Lemuria's offhand comment to Assuelyum) is the princess since it's implied that the cycle of slaying and inheriting the fate of a demon Lord has been going on for quite some time. ]
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:21 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
It's probably going to be an even more tragic ending than that of code geass sine lelouch was a villainous protagonist to the end whilt Slane has so far degraded to a Villan with the loss of sympathy from all the 'good' characters. I honestly don't know what the writers can do to redeem Slane because if they handel it poorly it'll be another crappy season 1 ending.

Slaine is in a very dire situation right now because he's lost (or going to lose) the support of everyone around him. The one person he was doing all this for has now turned against him. Once the Martian Knights find out that Asseylum is against Slaine, they will most likely turn as well. The only person I can think of that won't turn to the other side is Harklight, but unfortunately him as a side character won't provide neither Slaine nor the show any extra benefits. I have a feeling Slaine won't end up having a heroic death [NOTE: Code Geass spoiler - Key] spoiler[like Lelouche's]. Just the opposite it will be very tragic.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
Does Slaine realize what he is doing is exactly like what Inaho was doing in season 1 is the question.

The dialogue getting reversed was clearly on purpose, but what Slaine is doing now is not at all like what Inaho did in S1. Inaho didn't hide anything from Seylum, and she was willingly working with him towards the same goal (first survival and then ending the war). Working together with some one isn't the same as using them. Now this reversed dialogue reverses Slaine's accusation from S1 when he said Inaho was using her which has more weight this time around because Slaine is actually just using her.

Calsolum wrote:

I guess that depends on how you interpret the events. NOTE: Code Geass spoiler - Key] spoiler[Lelouche going off with C2 to keep his promise with her while entrusting the governing of the world to the others] isn't all that tragic. spoiler[The people closest to him thinking he is dead is kinda sad, but not that tragic. If you're going with Lelouche didn't steal the code of immortality from the emperor and the emperor died while he was still immortal, then yeah that would make the ending tragic.] Speaking of that though, I could totally go with an ambiguous ending here. However, that only works if you don't make a sequel, and since it seems like the last few episodes will still take place around Earth, I doubt they fix any of the issues of Vers in the last few episodes so I could see them doing another season.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

The dialogue getting reversed was clearly on purpose, but what Slaine is doing now is not at all like what Inaho did in S1. Inaho didn't hide anything from Seylum, and she was willingly working with him towards the same goal (first survival and then ending the war). Working together with some one isn't the same as using them. Now this reversed dialogue reverses Slaine's accusation from S1 when he said Inaho was using her which has more weight this time around because Slaine is actually just using her.

Lol, I wasn't talking about it that specific. I was saying that Slaine is doing the same thing Inaho was by provoking the other person into thinking they are exploiting Asseylum. I know that behind the scenes their motives are different.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 24