• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Aldnoah.Zero

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Just a reminder, guys n' gals, that what happens at the end of Code Geass should not be considered "common knowledge." Use spoiler tags appropriately.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Just a reminder, guys n' gals, that what happens at the end of Code Geass should not be considered "common knowledge." Use spoiler tags appropriately.

Even after 6+ years?
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, I was considering it that because it is ~7 years old now. Will tag future comments on that appropriately.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Even after 6+ years?

Why should the length of time that it has been out matter?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Hameyadea wrote:
Even after 6+ years?

Why should the length of time that it has been out matter?

So should we keep spoilers on the fact that Darth Vader is Luke's father ? Laughing Or should we keep spoilers on Cleopatra and Beh-Hur endings ? There might still be some people that haven't watched it in the theater or on tv/hulu/etc...

C'mon there is a statute of limitations for spoilers. Spoilers are necessary at a certain point in time to make it so that the majority of people watching a show/film can enjoy/discuss it without be told the ending. With time less and less people will watch the show so the spoiler ceases to be useful. At a certain point in the future it becomes meaningless.

I think 5 years after the anime show aired is more than enough to not bother with spoilers.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
So should we keep spoilers on the fact that Darth Vader is Luke's father ? Laughing

That was about 35 years ago, not 6, and has been parodied and referenced and reused so many times since then that it's almost impossible not to know about even if you haven't seen it, and if you somehow see it unspoiled it won't have much of an impact because it's such a cliche now.

Remember, anime is a subculture. Most people haven't seen any anime besides Miyazaki and maybe Pokemon; there are always newbies floating around who haven't yet seen [insert show you think everyone has seen here]. The ending to Evangelion might qualify for "don't bother with spoiler tags" because it's become a meme... but I often see people saying they ended up not liking a show because people ruined all the twists before they got around to watching it (Madoka seems to have lost a good 50% of its potential fanbase this way).
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:34 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Remember, anime is a subculture. Most people haven't seen any anime besides Miyazaki and maybe Pokemon; there are always newbies floating around who haven't yet seen [insert show you think everyone has seen here]. The ending to Evangelion might qualify for "don't bother with spoiler tags" because it's become a meme... but I often see people saying they ended up not liking a show because people ruined all the twists before they got around to watching it (Madoka seems to have lost a good 50% of its potential fanbase this way).

I understand your viewpopint, but are people supposed to dance on their tiptoes because someone may or may not have seen this 5-, 10-, 15-years old show? This is the Internet, a place full of free-flowing information every single second. One cannot shut-out all the data all the time.

I'm by no means encourage to reveal big inforamtion that was just revealed to the fans (like writing how [series based on manga] will end, even though the anime is on its 4th episode out of 24 or something). But, for a show that even more than 6 years ago, personally, I don't think it required a Spoiler tag. Otherwise, one can use the claim "but people haven't seen this yet" to stop discussing about Dragon Ball, Alps no Shōjo Heidi or Astro Boy due to potential spoilers.

Regarding your claim about Evangelion: I got around to see it only about 1.5-2 years ago (late-2012, early-mid-2013), so something being OK to discuss "because it's become a meme" is a subjective point-of-view of things. If there'll be clear guideline to when and about what to put in Spoiler tags, then it would help a lot on the matter. Otherwise, it'll be endless bickering of "but people haven't seen it yet", "but it's more than half-a-decade old", "but it wasn't popular" and so one. (Which is why I'll try and put such content under Spolier tags; not because it actually reveals a major plot point of an old(ish) series, but because some people will be all like "but I haven't seen that yet").

Now, to keep a minimal semblance of being relevant to this thread:
I wrote about how Inaho's Eye could a logical-type, HAL 9000-like A.I. (called it Wink ), and being a true HAL 9000-like, it took over its "housing unit" (A.K.A. Inaho) and operating by its directive.

I thought it was interesting that, even with all (or most) of Slaine's shenanigans revealed to her, Lemrina thinks (and most likely is right) that she doesn't have a place to go outside of the Moonbase. Maybe Slaine ambition to create a country on Earth is also give her a place... We'll see.

The entrance of Klancain (Saazbaum Jr.) into the mix will certainly create waves in both Slaine's and Inaho's plans.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:51 am; edited 3 times in total
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:47 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

There are plenty of memes about Code Geass (my personal favorite was Bodystairs: when face palm is not enough), including those related to ending. But regardless, the show is ~7 years old, and was not only dubbed in English but aired on television in the US (I can't remember what channel, but I definitely found it flipping through once and watched an ep). If this were a hollywood movie, by the time it airs on FX or something, I think it is fair game.

On Lemrina, maybe she planned this from the start? Not necessarily the raid, but that telling Seylum the truth and having her turn against Slaine was the only way to get Slaine to move on from Seylum and potentially choose her? Just a thought; probably reaching.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote
Hard to say now what's going on. Looks like princess was saved and likely returned to Mars.

That leaves two possibilities, rescue mission to Mars or the ship is intercepted by Inaho's friends in the battleship.

It really depends on what happens in these two episodes.

I could see them doing third season.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
There are plenty of memes about Code Geass (my personal favorite was Bodystairs: when face palm is not enough), including those related to ending. But regardless, the show is ~7 years old, and was not only dubbed in English but aired on television in the US (I can't remember what channel, but I definitely found it flipping through once and watched an ep). If this were a hollywood movie, by the time it airs on FX or something, I think it is fair game.

Sorry, but it's not. CG is nowhere near on the same level as, say, The Empire Strikes Back in terms of its main late twists being cultural phenomenons. Cleopatra was a bad example since what happens at the end is a matter of historical record, and the climax of Ben Hur (depending on which part you're talking about) is either quite easily predictable or a matter of Biblical record.

We run into this same problem whenever Death Note comes up, too, and that's no more "fair game" than CG. Madoka Magica is a much trickier case, as what happens in its big early plot twist is now one of the show's selling points.

There are many older shows out there that I've heard about but have not gotten around to seeing yet, and I wouldn't want to know the major spoilers for them just because some unthinking person decided that they were "fair game" to talk about in untagged discussions. (And this has happened on this site on multiple occasions, BTW.) Pretty positive that I'm far from alone on that. If it's a series-specific thread which has made it clear from the beginning that it will discuss the whole series' content, then that's one thing, as such threads are easily avoidable. Otherwise the tags get used.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I really doubt he is going to take Seylum to Mars. I don't really think he would just hand her over to Inko either.

Key wrote:
Sorry, but it's not. CG is nowhere near on the same level as, say, The Empire Strikes Back in terms of its main late twists being cultural phenomenons. Cleopatra was a bad example since what happens at the end is a matter of historical record, and the climax of Ben Hur (depending on which part you're talking about) is either quite easily predictable or a matter of Biblical record.

Hey now, those were not my comparisons. I was arguing that if having memes is grounds for it being open, then CG has them as well. My personal opinion for things that didn't originate on US tv is that if it has aired on tv, it is fair game which is why I did not mark it originally. But like I said right after you edited my post, I'm perfectly willing to tag stuff like that in the future.

That said, I see absolutely no reason to allow Madoka if you aren't allowing CG. I consider the ambiguous and quite crazy ending of CG to be a major selling point of that show. Selling point or not, knowing about spoiler[Mami's death] (which I believe is what you're talking about) is just as much of a spoiler as what I said about CG and knowing about it will likely influence your reaction to it when it happens which is pretty much exactly why a lot of people don't like to be spoiled.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:48 am Reply with quote
Not the same case at all. CG is what it is without knowing anything about its ending, so I utterly disagree that the way it ends is a "major selling point."

In the case of Madoka Magica, though, the plot twist at the end of episode 3 indisputably transforms and defines the series, as that is the first clear indication that it storytelling isn't typically bland magical girl fare. Although the specifics should probably be spoiler-tagged, that the series isn't as fluffy as it initially looks it quite definitely a selling point.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
Is it? I think the main selling point to me at least for CG is that unlike everything else that has tried to copy it, CG actually stuck the ending (which sadly is pretty rare). I've actually watched CG more than once where as I can't stomach watching the other series trying to imitate it again because I know that even if the lead up isn't that bad, the utter failure of an ending is all that awaits me. CG is what it is precisely because of that ending because that is the clear separation between it and the significantly less successful imitations.

A series redefining plot twist isn't any less of a spoiler because it redefines the series. That is knowledge the viewer is not intended to have going in that simply knowing will effect the viewers [level of] reaction. That is precisely why a lot of people don't like spoilers.

If the standard is going to be 'any specifics from another work should be tagged because regardless of things like the series age or popularity, people may not have seen it', that sounds perfectly reasonable. However, adding a loop whole with Madoka where somehow that spoiler isn't really a spoiler because the thing it spoils is what most people like about the series doesn't make sense because that logic can be applied to any surprise plot twist. But if what you're saying is that 'not as fluffy as it initially seems' shouldn't qualify as a spoiler, then I would agree because something like that is far too vague to really spoil anything.

Anyway... I think I've said enough on that now. I originally planned to just leave it at a one liner acknowledging that you would like similar comments tagged, but I ended up jumping all the way in after I saw it being discussed.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, you'll never get any agreement from me on CG, then. That whole series was about sensational antics, from episode one all through the final scene, and I don't see that the equally-sensational ending its evaluation or appeal one bit. But I was never an ardent fan of it, either.

And I agree that there's little point to discussing this further here, since we are really off-topic.
otakuotaku365

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 23 preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcLNA9e6r-o

Bizon 2.0 Facepalm! Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 24