• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Aldnoah.Zero

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Adam Wednesdays wrote:

Fair enough, I didn't remember if they'd said the exact amount of time he'd been on Mars, and I did think it was longer than that.

That said, the point I was making still stands: that entire scene is the Count expositing info to a character who already knows all of that information. Slaine has lived on Mars for years and hangs around aristocrats and members of the royal family. He already knows about what the weather on Mars is like and why they went to war. I'll own up to one of the details of what I said was wrong, but the actual substance of the point I was making was not.

Edit: My mistake

Last edited by Barbobot on Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I don't dispute that you could look at that scene as an excuse for info-dumping.

However, just because Slaine may be aware of the basic facts of the situation does not at all mean that he understands the situation in the context that Saazbaum is describing. (That is a reality made plain to me over and over again in my history studies in college.) Hence re-explaining the circumstances with a certain slant and/or in a new light is absolutely reasonable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Key, the way the defibrillator was used was correct - I'm glad Inaho dried the skin first, for example - but the fact that it was used at all was most certainly incorrect.

Barbobot wrote:
Except he hasn't been to Mars. The Hyper Gate was destroyed 15 years ago, leaving all the Orbital Knights stranded and unable to return to Mars/Vers. I agree with you on some of your other points you made, but just not this one.

Slaine has been to Mars. He crashed into the palace, remember? Then he travelled to Earth by way of landing castle with the princess and the count.
Adam Wednesdays

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Oh, I don't dispute that you could look at that scene as an excuse for info-dumping.

However, just because Slaine may be aware of the basic facts of the situation does not at all mean that he understands the situation in the context that Saazbaum is describing. (That is a reality made plain to me over and over again in my history studies in college.) Hence re-explaining the circumstances with a certain slant and/or in a new light is absolutely reasonable.

I get your point, but if that's the case for the scene it would work a lot better if 1) We knew what Slaine's outlook on the history/situation was, and how Saazbaum's account differs from it, and/or 2) It fundamentally contradicted information that the audience had been told.

We don't really know what Slaine's opinion on the political situation/history of Mars' conflict with Earth is, just that he's incredibly loyal to the Princess. I don't think finding out any new information about Mars would have much affect on him, because it doesn't change his motivation or opinion on anything that we the audience know he has any kind of strong opinion on. He's entirely motivated by wanting the rescue the Princess, and nothing Saazbaum reveals about his own opinions on Mars' politics is going to change that. Or if it does, then Slaine's been nursing an entirely hidden set of motivation that the show has given zero indication of.

Aside from that, there's not much new information about the large scale causes of the war revealed in that scene. We already know that the Martians are whipped up into a jingoistic frenzy (it's been clearly displayed by many of the Martian characters), we already know that they want Earth's resources and believe themselves to be more worthy of them than the Earthlings (Cruhteo said so as early as the first or second episode), and we already know that they were able to develop the barren planet because they found the remnants of a lost civilization. The only really new info we found is some personal details about Saazbaum and where his grudge comes from. (possibly the most important bit of info, what really caused the gate on the moon to explode, isn't mentioned; we're just reminded that the moon exploded). Saazbaum's bit of backstory could have been dealt with in one or two lines of dialogue. It hardly needed that entire monologue to set it up.

Again, I do see your point, and if I thought the show had pulled what you're talking about off successfully I wouldn't really have an issue with it. But I don't think it did pull it off.
Adam Wednesdays

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:

Except he hasn't been to Mars. The Hyper Gate was destroyed 15 years ago, leaving all the Orbital Knights stranded and unable to return to Mars/Vers. I agree with you on some of your other points you made, but just not this one.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't his ship crash land on Mars? I'm pretty sure the show said that's where his ship crashed.

But either way, whether he's ever been to Mars or not, he's lived among the Martians for years, and is still constantly around Martian aristocrats who love to berate him for being inferior and brag about their superior Martian ways. It really wouldn't make sense if he didn't know what Mars' weather and political situation were. If there is some reason he doesn't know that despite it making sense that he would, the show hasn't given it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I found Saazbaum's talk with Slaine to be pretty interesting and informative. Plus it was nice to hear a villain explain his motives so clearly and intelligently.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
And if they went into that kind of detailed explanation of the circumstances, Adam, then we'd be getting much bigger complaints about info-dumping.

Sorry, but I have to disagree that that part was handled inadequately. We've been given bits and pieces of the picture in previous episodes, and now we get a full elaboration with a particular slant. Granted, it wasn't a gloriously-handled scene, but it worked well enough for me.

EDIT: Didn't see dtm42's post first. I agree fully with it being nice that we actually have a villain explaining his motives intelligently for a change.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Adam I think the talk between Saazbaum and Slain was more of telling the motives at to why Saazbaum is taking revenge on the terrans. Also, it's pretty much interesting to know a little more about the sole reason why the war happened once before in the first place so I don't see anything bad about it. Also as to the reason Saazbaum let Slain go is because he felt indebted with Slain's father for rescuing him during the war before which was already explained. It's like Saazbaum saying, "now I set you free, if you want to go to the terrans then so be it and we'll be enemies. Or you can come and help me take down the terrans. "
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
If a show needs to have a villain take up screen time only to explain his motives then it had better accomplish something other than just that. As Adam Wednesday's said it doesn't because it doesn't matter to Slaine's character or to any other plot/subplot at all. All that monologue did was fill screen time for an unnecessary infodump. Even if you disagree and think the Count's motives needed more explanation then an info dump is the worst way to do it, and proves that the writing of the show has gone down horribly since Urobuchi left if they were unable to convey it in any other fashion.
Adam Wednesdays

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And if they went into that kind of detailed explanation of the circumstances, Adam, then we'd be getting much bigger complaints about info-dumping.

Sorry, but I have to disagree that that part was handled inadequately. We've been given bits and pieces of the picture in previous episodes, and now we get a full elaboration with a particular slant. Granted, it wasn't a gloriously-handled scene, but it worked well enough for me.

EDIT: Didn't see dtm42's post first. I agree fully with it being nice that we actually have a villain explaining his motives intelligently for a change.

I didn't mean they should have included even more info in the monologue, I meant that all that info should have been addressed earlier in the show so that it was already introduced.

But regardless, as you say, we've both made our points and I don't think either of us is going to change the other one's mind, so I'll leave it at that.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I suspect that what Saazbaum revealed is going to end up mattering quite a lot before all is said and done.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote
The problem with the info dumb scene is there's absolutely no reason for Saaz to tell Slaine all that, but there could easily have been one. We all more or less know that Slaine is related to the emperor in some way (my personal bet, he's a clone). So here Saaz is kinda in a pickle, if he kill the emperor they would lose there access to the drive, but hey what if there was someone else who could activate the drive… Wouldn't it make sense to try and get him on your side, going so far as saving him by killing one of your ally? Maybe try to explain your logic as to why you're leading a rebellion in an attempt to appear sympathetic. But nah, he doesn't even ask for his help.

Also I dunno what your talking about "finally a bad guy who tell us his motivation". They pretty much all do: "Mwhahaha mister bond, while my laser slowly move toward your crotch area I will explain my entire motive and plan to you for no reason"

The only one who don't are the one who's plan makes absolutely no sense and as such cannot explain it, hence the writer just never mention it.

Oh one last note, remember the scene where Saaz shoot Slaine cuff. I just find it hilarious that after doing that, Slaine still has the cuff on, so Saaz will still have to go get the key to unlock them. Imagine they let that scene back in, how awkward that would be. Laughing
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
There are two very simple explanations why he might tell that to Slaine:

1) He's trying to win Slaine over in his own way.

2) He feels a need to justify to someone what he's doing.
babbo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:42 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
MC talks alot, people complain. MC cries alot, people complain.
MC is calm and collective, people complain. MC is weak, people complain. MC is OP, people complain.

basically, writers shouldn't even care about what people think. Just write what you want. Other people's opinions are just opinions, they don't matter unless they have money to give you.

Or, they could just write good MCs, like Tatsumi from Akame ga Kill! or Rinka from Tokyo ESP.

Tatsumi? Really? The burning heart rookie who wants to become the strongest? That's your standout MC? I knew Akagame ga Kill would pop up in a post like this. With the way they kill characters left and right how could edgy ANN forum goers not like it?

And I think you're missing the point. He was pointing out that no matter how a MC is written, people will still dump on him/her, and if the series is popular enough, piles of people will do so.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
babbo wrote:

Tatsumi? Really? The burning heart rookie who wants to become the strongest? That's your standout MC? I knew Akagame ga Kill would pop up in a post like this. With the way they kill characters left and right how could edgy ANN forum goers not like it?

And I think you're missing the point. He was pointing out that no matter how a MC is written, people will still dump on him/her, and if the series is popular enough, piles of people will do so.

He was clearly dismissing criticism of super wonderboy Inaho by claiming that no one is ever happy with any MCs, so he's implying that criticism is pointless. I am raising the fact that there are some MC's who are written well. Inaho is not one of them, and even most of the critics seem to agree that he is poorly written. Tatsumi is a much, much better written MC. He has hopes, dreams, consistent motivations, back-story, personality, and well defined flaws to go with the strengths. Inaho doesn't seem to have any of those. This is fairly simple.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 24