• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Sailor Moon Crystal

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mosaic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:35 am Reply with quote
It was an okay ending. Overall, the second season was good enough that I could ignore the trainwreck that was the Dark Kingdom arc. Hopefully they'll continue the story because ending it with a "Oh, Chibiusa!" moment is kind of lame. Confused
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:46 am Reply with quote
I agree; it's lame; at least when I read that hilarious part in the manga, I get a sense that the story's not over yet.

If it is the end though, then Crystal has gone out on a whimper, not a bang like the original anime or manga.
manapear

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
I quite like the episode so far.Only five minutes in, but I like the animation and art style. As long as it's this consistent, it already gets a fair grade.

More importantly. . . this moment! It's so precious and perfect! I'm so glad Chibi-Usa and NQS get this sweet moment together! Even the little detail of NQS rubbing Chibi Moon's arm is so sweet. I love this relationship. I think this version has done the best for ChibiUsa and her relationship with the future Moon fam + Pluto.

One thing that bugged me about Classic was how obnoxious ChibiUsa was in R, and how the relationship took too long to get not one-sided. And after that, we didn't get real closure, so this is very nice.

Mmm. The set-up for Stars is strong. I have confidence they'll make it there, because they already have two or three perfect moments to flashback to when the time comes.

I appreciate that they wanted to let the girls help, but that the Moon Family gets to take care of the finale. That was a really good moment for ChibiUsa, and for her relationship with NQS. Small moments like that go surprisingly far~.

Also loving Mamo taking up his proper role from the manga. He is that ideal, "I'm capable and powerful, but you're the true strong one so I am your support," lover. Love it~!

Oh, that was an endearing moment. And cute how ChibiUsa came out.
OOHHH! Chibi Moon is so adorable~! Her intro is so cute! >o< / ♥o♥

Even though I am a bit sad that the senshi didn't get to fight with them, I like that it was a mom/daughter-princes-princess moment (and it's not like Mamo fought either). And the effects were cool~. I actually really appreciate that it wasn't a drawn out battle too. That was nice.

Aww. I love how NQS sounds when granting Sailor Moon new power. It feels like she's truly learned to love herself, that says a lot about Usagi's growth. And I can't wait to see it unfold in the future arcs.

I just remembered, it seemed like NQS was surprised when Pluto's body glowed and went to the palace; that may have been a slight nod to what will actually happen. (Ie, she'll be back~.)

I like the episode was directed. They did small, clever things in a lot of shots. NQS and Sailor Moon's parallel ones were an especially nice touch. And it's so sweet that they did get to meet.

Wow. the backgrounds in this episode are all fantastic. I almost forgot that this was a huge strength of Crystal since we didn't get to see as much architecture or almost any cityscape this arc. This ep is a great reminder though, lol. The shots of Neo Crystal Tokyo were all gorgeous, and I love how they have that perfect, futuristic touch. Tokyo itself also looks so cool and fantastic. They have a nice way of bringing backgrounds to life. They're detailed and have just the right palette.

Crystal has been pretty brilliant with its color palettes too, and this episode shows that as well. I love how they use their colors~.

Aww, Usagi and ChibiUsa''s moment together was really sweet too.
That was a lovely, romantic ending.

The animation and art was really pleasant this episode. I quite liked the quality, and if S retains it, I think that would be perfect. It was nice to see the last few minutes also went up a bit in quality. I like how well-rounded the episode was in all, as well.

I hope the wait for S isn't too long. Until then, I'll enjoy the musical~. ♥
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to laugh when Neo Queen Serenity told the scouts they couldn't go help Sailor Moon. I pictured her saying "Where have you been the past 25 episodes? You know the most important your role ever gets is being captured. Sit your ass down."
Adv193

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I can understand at least why the other Sailor Soldiers were not permitted to participate in the final battle since it was technically Sailor Moon's fight.

At least the Classic Sailor Moon anime had a better sense of letting everyone participate in the final battle, and it was more dramatic compared to this though despite the rush, it was still a good ending to watch. Hope they can adapt the remaining three arcs, since it would be good to see the original story arcs without having to rely on the manga to do so (through legal means of course).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
To think with a normal release schedule, this show would have been finished over 7 months ago. So I guess the semi-monthly plan not only allowed them more time to work on it than most studios/teams are ever afforded, but it kept it around in consciousness for another half a year. So watch this become the new big trend?
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Personally, these last two were probably the best I could hope for. This episode just felt more artistically consistent, even with the off-model parts. Overall, I think this show just wasn't for me. Maybe I would've been better served by reading the manga beforehand; that might've taken the edge off of some of the parts I disliked the most, or parts I had just plain forgotten. Though Chibi-Usa was LOADS better here; it was nice seeing Pluto's selfless love for Chibi-Usa win out over Black Lady's selfish desire to be loved last episode, plus a 2D transformation!

I'm happy to hear that younger generations get something out of this, though, even if my preference lies with Classic. I think it'd be empowering to girls who'd never seen something like this before. I do wish there was more teamwork in general between all the Senshi though, but it's not like anime has a dearth of team-based magical girl shows, so I can let it slide.

That bullocks about "changing history" by meeting your past/future self reeeeally bugged me though. It just feels so arbitrary after everything else that happens which basically guarantees a changed future: Sailor Moon's foreknowledge of Nemesis and how it came to be, the powered up rods of both Neo Queen Serenity and Sailor Moon, flat-out acknowledging Chibi-Usa's feelings of neglect, etc. I dunno. That part always felt the most tacked on out of everything else.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
We have been granted a reprieve!

It is nice to see the show improved somewhat, but a lot of the problems remain. Animation relies on the art to convey a lot, so having that consistently lackluster and/or bad even on a finale is bad.

Take all the animation for hair out of this show and you might as well have something less smoothly animated than a scene from a VN.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:05 pm Reply with quote
@manapear

We don't even know yet if they'll adapt Infinity or not. I did hear Toei was going to make an announcement soon.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
@whiskeyii

I dunno what they might think of the show if they get older, though... Sad
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:41 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:

I'm happy to hear that younger generations get something out of this, though, even if my preference lies with Classic. I think it'd be empowering to girls who'd never seen something like this before.

I think that's something a lot of us older Sailor Moon fans forget - this might very well be their first exposure to this kind of story (it certainly is for a couple of the girls I know), and so for them, who have never seen it done better/differently, this is just as amazing an experience as it was for us to watch Classic. Children's shows (and literature) are meant to appeal to, well, children; in fact, I've read several articles (on Project Muse and JSTORR, so I can't link them Crying or Very sad ) that maintain that children's literature and programming that is still "good" in adulthood has been co-opted by adults and isn't really read by kids anymore, but rather dissected by academics and book clubs. In some ways, I think that if SM Crystal can interest a new generation in the story that meant a lot to older fans, that's success.

@Sailor Sedna

A lot of childhood favorites don't hold up, sadly. I loved "Strawberry Shortcake" back when I was tiny in the 1980s, and now it makes me want to run screaming from the room. (Though I can still sing the Peculiar Purple Pieman's theme.) In fact, I have a few books that I refuse to re-read because I loved them so much in middle school and I don't want to have them ruined by my grown-up self. Laughing It's actually pretty awesome that Classic does hold up.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:35 am Reply with quote
I agree with ya, Rebecca. One of my favorite films when I was younger, "Winnie the Pooh: A Very Merry Pooh Year", doesn't hold up for me now either, and one face Eeyore makes in there scares me (believe it or not, it scared me as a kid and still does now, ha ha Laughing ).

I agree though, yeah SM classic still holds up, and I don't get why some people say it hasn't aged well or something; it has to me, though Sailor Moon was more of my teenhood than childhood.

Though this is unrelated, it makes me think of some old Saint Seiya review from 2002 where it said in their opinion the action there wasn't as stimulating as what was out during that time period, but I've seen the first six episodes of that show (it's turning 30 next year) and they were way more enjoyable and exciting from what I've seen here, and that review sounds outdated to me.
katscradle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
This ending is so much better than the last few episodes of the end of the Dark Kingdom arc. I felt for one of the first times I was just watching a story and not being reminded of all the other versions. The second half of Crystal has been a lot better to me. But, then the Black Moon Clan has always been my favorite arc. I won't mind having Crystal on my shelf now. (Though I will skip some Dark Kingdom episodes re-watching since those had irritatingly stupid choices in changing elements drastically for no apparent purpose.)

So yes if they keep going adapting the manga I won't feel so much dread now. If they don't go massively off script again the show should be OK.
Rainsan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:55 pm Reply with quote
personally i was just happy to relive part of one of the reasons i got into anime as a kid =)
While i was def a lil apprehensive around the start of crystal, I did end up liking it overall. Was it like classic, no not rly, the manga, maybe a bit more but still eh, but i am sorta ok with that. Instead of thinking of it as a reboot or doing anything negative to the 90s show i love i sorta just took it for what it was and treated it like a different anime. I liked it in the end, so im actually hoping for a S and SuperS series. My favorite was SuperS but to see all the senshi in S would be a lot of fun!
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:49 am Reply with quote
(Something wonky seems to be going on with the posts. Page 52 is the last page right now but it contains messages dating from July 2015?)

I decided to give the series another chance with the announcement of a new character designer and director. I was pleasantly surprised. I still think the transformations are meh (OMG...SM's legs and arms mid transformation), but it's an improvement. I did like the animated 'Coconut Cyclone' attack, but thought Venus's 'Chain Wink Sword' was pretty pathetic due to the um...beads. I also thought the new inner transformation wands were not as good as the original series because they looked too clunky. They got rid of the crown portion of the star wand.

If anything, I liked that the comedy returned to the series and that the girls are (starting) to be fleshed out. Loved it when Minako and Makoto fangirled, as well as the signature bunny face appearing whenever Usagi is ticked off about Rei's comments.

As long as this and the animation hold up, I'll continue to watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 52 of 53