• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Space Dandy Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
YesNoMaybe wrote:

Boy, I sure hope for another season!

Depends on how much FUNi/Adult Swim/etc. want to give, because the show's already bombed in Japan, selling about as much as Fractale, and of course there's not really much merch to fall back on or even a manga anymore.

I find this show to be much more interesting when ladies are involved, and Meow and QT aren't, that episode was probably my favorite of this half overall.
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
^Bummer!

Thanks for the info.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
One of my favorite moments this week was listening to 65 year old R Bruce Elliott attempting to sound hip and trendy when describing Planet Trendy to us. that was hilarious

Laughed a lot during that Very Happy
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:45 pm Reply with quote
This episode was particularly strong and resonated so well on a lot of levels. I kind of wished that spoiler[Dandy and Scarlet could have at least hung out as friends and watched the tape together].

DangerMouse wrote:
Laughed a lot during that :D

Same. I was hoping the slang would go on a little more just to see how particularly ridiculous it could get, but it was still amusing all the same. :D
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I know it may sound a bit late considering how the show is (sadly) nearing its end, but special note needs to be made of the Space Dandy dub.

Because the dub is fantastic, it really is. It takes the show's best moment, be they funny or poignant, and it makes them better. Probably the best dub by Funi in a while, which is really saying something because Funi evidently had to really rush to get this show out in time.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Hellwarden wrote:
Scarlet and Dandy didn't get together in the end....

Feels bad man... Anime cry

Anyway, Season 2 has been a fantastically enjoyable mix of funny and thoughtful. Two things that are sadly rare in any entertainment medium these days.

Yeah, I felt pretty bummed when they both decided to walk away at the end of the episode. As much as I didn't think it would happen, I was really hoping for them to get together.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

Yeah, I felt pretty bummed when they both decided to walk away at the end of the episode. As much as I didn't think it would happen, I was really hoping for them to get together.

It was a bummer, but considering Space Dandy's anthology format, and how the only reliable continuity between certain episodes is the existence of a core cast of characters who don't noticeably develop from episode to episode-- it's very unsurprising that it mostly went back to the status quo in the end. :/ Would be cool if Scarlet was a bit less curt with Dandy in future interactions, at least... though then again, that's a big part of her shtick, isn't it? Hmm...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiro94

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Space Dandy is a breath of fresh air in an Anime industry that has resorted to mediocrity
KidaYuki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
since I don't actually watch dandy I',m not sure if this wording was intentional or not:
Quote:
....they become less and less informal with each other: Scarlet lets her hair down,....

you'd think they were becoming less and less formal or more and more informal???????

but again, I don't watch it so if that was the intended wording I'm sorry
endallchaos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying season 2 more than 1. I think the only episode that I didn't like was last weeks episode with dandy dancing and all... I can't wait to see next week's episode.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
YesNoMaybe wrote:

Boy, I sure hope for another season!

Depends on how much FUNi/Adult Swim/etc. want to give, because the show's already bombed in Japan, selling about as much as Fractale, and of course there's not really much merch to fall back on or even a manga anymore.

It probably bombed because there aren't enough panty shots of under age girls in it. Japan is cool and all but they really make me shake my head with things like this. The current state of the anime industry is drenched in generic moe fanservice shows with little variety. And then a show with the slightest ounce of creativity comes out and they just ignore it. This is why we can't have nice things. I'm not saying that all those types of anime are bad, because I do like some of them. But those are few and far between.

Also, Space Dandy is practically immune to the typical cynicism that plagues a lot of anime fans and even these very forums (although MAL is even worse). Because it is simply a fun show that doesn't care what some grumpy curmudgeons on an internet forum think. It's a really (mostly) lighthearted show that always puts a smile on my face. And I'm not really sure where a lot of people are getting the idea that Dandy is only cheap gags and boob and ass jokes. I think that most of those people have probably only seen the first few episodes, because those are admittedly probably the worst of the bunch. But the humor gets much more clever after that. An anime like this doesn't come around very often, so I'm savoring every last episode. I'll miss it when it's over, and sadly I doubt (as has already been said) that it will get a third season. It easily deserves it though.

This last episode easily became one of my favorites by the end of it. I'm a suckered for a good romance, and the interaction between the two was very believable. I was very emotionally invested by the end, and the way it ended left me kind of depressed. I really wanted them to watch that movie together! This has to be the first episode of Space Dandy to end on such a sad note. At least, as far as I can remember.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, those panty shots of underaged girls really did it for Shingeki no Kyojin; totally wouldn't have sold if that wasn't a slice of life comedy about middle school girls who drink tea and eat cake. Goes double for Kill la Kill and Sidonia. Also, why are you only blaming otaku? You should be equal-opportunity shaming the fujoshi for liking Free and UtaPri.

It bombed because who the hell knows why, Cowboy Bebop's BD box sold 15k units, so the those fans clearly didn't show up for this. Japanese sales work in mysterious ways.
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote
@Jayhosh

Yea I agree. Sadly it seem also that a lot of viewers are annoyed by the fact there is no continuance of story arc. It reset itself very episode which to me makes it fun to watch each week because you don't know what to expect.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:10 pm Reply with quote
You know, I typically at least like, or in the specific case of Space Dandy, love their work, but part of me has to wonder how Studio Bones stays afloat.

None of their shows seem to sell particularly well, even though it's obvious they put some love in them.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
@Jayhosh
Quote:
It probably bombed because there aren't enough panty shots of under age girls in it. Japan is cool and all but they really make me shake my head with things like this. The current state of the anime industry is drenched in generic moe fanservice shows with little variety.

You should look at which shows that actually sold well because you make stupid statement.

Some of the best selling series on the last couple of years are Attack On Titians, SAO, Monogatari series, Love live, Free!, kuroko no basket. They are all over the place, no generic moe fan service show that you mentioned. Even Monggatari and SAO are not generic fan service. They are kind of unique in the story telling. Some even said bad writing, but who care as long as you write something people like? Rather you like it or not that's a different discussion.

Quote:
Because it is simply a fun show that doesn't care what some grumpy curmudgeons on an internet forum think. It's a really (mostly) lighthearted show that always puts a smile on my face.

You know this also apply for K-on right? lol It has less fan service than Space Dandy, it was show on Japanese's Disney Chanel. It inspired girls to learn to play Guitar, Bass, etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6