• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Akame ga KILL!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Yes it was supposed to show how cool a team they were but couldn't that have been just as well established in the flashbacks?

Had that been the only point, yes, but they also wanted to give the sisters a last chance to fight as the team they once were instead of against each other. That's not flashback material and it was one of the few times in the series I ever emotionally connected with the characters.

I don't disagree with the drawbacks you mention because for you those made it not worth doing. I got enough out of it that, even being aware of those problems, I did think it was still worth doing.

@ gedata: Whoever made the IAs knew what they did, and even if that knowledge has generally been lost, since Onest was privy to royal secrets, maybe that information survived along with that weapon. Or do the IAs tell their users what they do once the Arms accepts them? Didn't Tatsumi and Esdeath get more info once they took on their Arms and survived the process? I don't remember exactly how that went down. So yeah, I have no idea. Smile
king 47

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like the show, it was a D+ to C- for me. I only continued watching because there aren't many good shows airing.
But I will admit that I'm glad they bothered spoiler[actually finishing the story.] That's something almost unheard of in anime.

spoiler[ I haven't seen the source material, so I don't know if the story actually finished or not. But for someone like me with no knowledge of the source material, this show starts and finishes a story.][/spoiler]
Mature-Kun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Ugh I had to make an account just to voice my discontent not only for this horrible adaptation, but for the reviewer's obliviousness and ignorance throughout each and every one of his reviews. This show has been a nightmare since the beginning and straying from the source material did it no favors whatsoever. There's no way in hell the previous episodes deserve the praise they receive nor the series an overall score of B-. Unless the reviewer can provide some valid justifications for these outrageous scores I'll be avoiding his reviews in the future.
gedata

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Mature-Kun wrote:
Ugh I had to make an account just to voice my discontent not only for this horrible adaptation, but for the reviewer's obliviousness and ignorance throughout each and every one of his reviews. This show has been a nightmare since the beginning and straying from the source material did it no favors whatsoever. There's no way in hell the previous episodes deserve the praise they receive nor the series an overall score of B-. Unless the reviewer can provide some valid justifications for these outrageous scores I'll be avoiding his reviews in the future.

he provided justification (not that I agree with it, because I most certainly do not) and it's you know, the actual body of the review. Are you the sort of person who only looks at the scores and disregards everything else?

Besides, he already responded to this type of sentiment before
Key wrote:
GamerTimeUSA wrote:
Who ever is reviewing this series must not read the manga or ever seen any spoilers from it. This series after episode 18 has gone to garbage level. Its going to be an Anime Only ending which is really sad because they skipped like 20 chapters.

Well, might as well see how they will end the series. Always going for the money. Episode Rating: 2/10 Sad

Yes, I have not read the manga and have mostly (though not entirely!) avoided looking at spoilers from it.

I am also one who has never believed that an anime is automatically crap if it strays at all from its sacred source material. Manga/lite novel writers are definitely not infallible; their work can absolutely be improved upon in an anime adaptation.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:
Yes it was supposed to show how cool a team they were but couldn't that have been just as well established in the flashbacks?

Had that been the only point, yes, but they also wanted to give the sisters a last chance to fight as the team they once were instead of against each other. That's not flashback material and it was one of the few times in the series I ever emotionally connected with the characters.

That's what i meant by the scene at the church being enough. They simply sat down and talked to each before engaging in battle. And had a nice little conversation. There was enough subtly there to make their battle heart wrenching. They may be enemies but they were once loving sisters. You really don't need to go up and beyond that. It's kind of like the death of Sheele. Her death was already tragic enough but we didn't need all those flashbacks and super saturated orchestra playing in the background to know that it was sad. Letting a moment happen naturally makes things far more organic and effective in my opinion.

It's not like I don't see what your saying though. Personally I am a sucker for family related conflicts which is why I love shows like "The Eccentric Family" and "Kyousougiga". So I did like the scenario being put in place here but you know I'm a silly nitpicker and all that Wink
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
it was good, bors family there to nail the idea of this being an alt time line and that madoka eo12 scene in the end was just too good for me.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:16 am Reply with quote
Since you're ranting, leatherhead333, I'll only respond to a couple of comments that aren't purely opinion.

leatherhead333 wrote:
Esdeath x Tatsumi is ONCE AGAIN shoved down our throats one final time despite how underdeveloped their relationship is even at this point. I suppose it's supposed to be a poetic , and heart warming way spoiler[to end things for both of them] but it ends up just being annoying and eye rolling inducing. A real shame since there was a lot of potential in that pairing.

There's no Esdeath/Tatsumi relationship being "shoved down our throats" here; there never was one to begin with. It was always a completely one-sided obsession by Esdeath, and in a rare bit of subtlety for the series, it was always used to show the one thing that Esdeath could never fully comprehend because it didn't fit into her weak vs. strong view of the world. I don't see that what happened at the end was meant to change any of that or be in anyway heartwarming.

As for Leone: She got what she wanted and knew her own body well enough to know that her wounds were probably mortal but not immediately so (there are wartime accounts of soldiers lingering for hours or even days with gut wounds), so she decided to go out on her own terms.
Quote:

Hell even the spoiler[portrayal of the empire getting taken over] by the revouution army made NO SENSE. I don't know what history books the writers have been looking in but any capital/government that is taken over from a powerful dictator/leader takes lots and LOTS of time to reform. That shit doesn't happen overnight. It's not a magical "Bam! Everyone is happy now!" spell you can cast. There is bound to be bad blood between people who opposed it as well the many people the Night Raid ended up killing to reach their goal. Hell I'm sure many people know the captain was the leader. So she's just going to spoiler[sweep this under the rug and blame their crimes on Akame?] Really? Even if she asked her too I don't comprehend that. As I said there bound to be people that are pissed but is EVERYONE going to turn on her despite the fact she spoiler[saved their lives and killed Esdeath?] Gah...........

Of course there are going to be rough points; that's why Akame said, "you've got the tougher job" to Najenda at the end. That was the series acknowledging what you're talking about. But what's so unbelievable about there being initial goodwill and celebration over the emperor and his corrupt government being deposed?

Mature-Kun wrote:

As others have already indicated, my justifications are in the review. In fact, the review would have never passed editing muster if the justifications weren't there. If you read/have read through those and don't think they're "valid" justifications then we're just going to have a difference of opinion here, I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Abdulaziz.Asker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:17 am Reply with quote
I cant believe that Tatsumi died as a super unimportant character!!! He even died in the 2nd last episode (I thought he'll fake his death until the last episode)

And above all that, Akame didn't react at all when he died!!! Leone and Najenda either!!!

He actually died a very simple death (no plot twist; nothing)

and what's wrong with the mangaka's style? Why killing everybody??? The anime ended with the manga? Sequel?

But in the end, who cares... I actually enjoyed the anime (especially the first episodes)[/list]
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:53 am Reply with quote
[quote="Key"]Since you're ranting, leatherhead333, I'll only respond to a couple of comments that aren't purely opinion.

leatherhead333 wrote:

There's no Esdeath/Tatsumi relationship being "shoved down our throats" here; there never was one to begin with. It was always a completely one-sided obsession by Esdeath, and in a rare bit of subtlety for the series, it was always used to show the one thing that Esdeath could never fully comprehend because it didn't fit into her weak vs. strong view of the world. I don't see that what happened at the end was meant to change any of that or be in anyway heartwarming.

As for Leone: She got what she wanted and knew her own body well enough to know that her wounds were probably mortal but not immediately so (there are wartime accounts of soldiers lingering for hours or even days with gut wounds), so she decided to go out on her own terms.

Of course there are going to be rough points; that's why Akame said, "you've got the tougher job" to Najenda at the end. That was the series acknowledging what you're talking about. But what's so unbelievable about there being initial goodwill and celebration over the emperor and his corrupt government being deposed?

Yes Key, the show has never been trying to force their relationship on us. They did not have Esdeath madly fall in love with him nearly at first sight and go through many blushings at his cuteness scenes. They did not contrive a "trapped on an island with the enemy" scenario to further push the pairing. They did not have Esdeath continue to confess her love for him while he was locked up.

I fail to see how that counts as subtly given how completely over the top they've been about it painting this masochistic warrior as some blushing schoolgirl in the sight of her love.

Yes the relationship was one sided but that's ALL it's ever been. Tatsumi never could understand her way of thinking and nor could she understand him. They've always been on completely different wavelengths. Which makes them fail as a romantic pairing. Every time they talk it ultimately results in Tatsumi not wanting anything to do with her because he knows what she's done. Seeing Esdeath desperately trying to cling to him does not make for an interesting scenario. Is it supposed to make her look more human? I suppose it would. But what are we supposed to feel from this? That is heartless monster is capable of loving someone? Well I guess that's neat but she still deserved to get axed. Why exactly she felt that way towards Tatsumi was NEVER explored. Did he remind her of how she used to be or wants to be? Did she see something in his mindset that she wished she could have? Or did she just simply........love him? It's a rather underdeveloped situation don't you think?

Concerning thatspoiler[ Leone] bit I'd say that's really anime logic. She could have received treatment for her wounds and had she rested with the bizarre logic they used to justify herspoiler[ taking over 6 bullets to the chest] and living her survival was plausible. If it's possible to survive people will do everything they can to try to live. I doubt someone goes with the mindset "well i could try everything possible to live through this situation but instead I'll make things worse by not properly resting or getting treated for it to go die in an alleyway somewhere". Now I could understand what you are saying if they were in a war situation. Like if someone was severely wounded and would only slow the team down. That would make sense. But she was in safe territory with plenty of time to get treated. Not exactly something that is comparable to real life. Considering how unrealistic the series is to begin with should we even be having this conversation? Confused

Also making a mere one line of dialogue to spoiler[describe how difficult such a reform would be is surely absurd.] People are simply being spoiler[given money, food etc.] during that whole sequence with absolutely nothing going wrong in their lives. It seems to give off the naive vibe that all you have to do is kill people to change the world and everything else that follows is sunshine and rainbows. Taking out corrupt leaders is one half of the battle. Correctly managing the capital while taking out the remaining resistance is the other half. But it's SHOWN as a battle that was never fought. Nobody is is resisting, everyone is happy and they spoiler[can just blame everything on Akame.] For a show that slowly breaks the main character of his naive idealism it doesn't do him much justice.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:01 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333, if you're not going to pay attention to what I actually said in my previous post, and apply comments I made to things I didn't actually make them about, then I see no reason to engage you further on any of this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:23 am Reply with quote
^
It would be nice though if you had addressed in your review the point that gedata made about Akame cutting herself with her blade to achieve her powerup. This directly contradicts her statement earlier in the show when she said that she was so careful when cleaning the blade because being cut by it would mean instant death. That's a mighty large plot hole you've conveniently overlooked.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:05 am Reply with quote
^
Or simply forgot even existed until it was mentioned in this thread.

(Yes, I do occasionally just forget about details.)
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:34 am Reply with quote
^
It's an enormous and blatant plot hole which destroys any legitimacy of the titular character winning the climactic battle, and you just forgot about such a vital detail as Akame's sword being deadly to her? Well, if you say so; it might not have seemed important to you at the time.

But at any rate, it does mean that your review of the final episode is grossly incomplete since it doesn't address said plot hole. And it's not something you can just pass off as a minor oversight. Imagine how different the ending would have been to the one we got if Esdeath had won instead, or if both women were killed? Not just different in terms of the outcome but thematically and tonally as well. So this BS power upgrade had a huge effect on the ending and on how people remember the show as a whole.

Last edited by dtm42 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:45 am; edited 1 time in total
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:38 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
As others have already indicated, my justifications are in the review. In fact, the review would have never passed editing muster if the justifications weren't there. If you read/have read through those and don't think they're "valid" justifications then we're just going to have a difference of opinion here, I guess.

Clearly he was largely blinded by his bias against the show from it straying from the source he obviously likes very much. I think you justified your opinion well enough, and I pretty much agree.

I was rather worried when I heard that the anime had passed the content in the manga because usually that means the anime only ending will be garbage (like the original Hellsing...). I think they did a really good job ending this considering the writers for the ending were not the same as the guy who started it.

If the only legitimate complaint (and it is that I've read so far) is that there is an inconsistency with one line that was tossed in early on in a short, insignificant attempt to make a joke about the downside of her sword to a character envious of her for having an imperial arms, then I have to say job well done.

Will the ending in the manga be better? Probably, and I would hope so since it is being written by the guy who envisioned the series. That is what happened with FMA as well. I really liked the original FMA anime, but I do think the manga/brotherhood was still better.

Though on a side note, given what other reviewers have said in their reviews... I don't think you would have had an issue even if you did fail to justify your opinion.

dtm42 wrote:
^
It's a plot hole which destroys any legitimacy of the titular character winning the climactic battle, and you just forgot about such a vital detail? Well, if you say so; it might not have seemed important to you at the time. But at any rate, it does mean that your review of the final episode is grossly incomplete since it doesn't address said plot hole.

That isn't even really a plot hole. Easily explained as her not offering the secret to her ultimate technique up to the guy who just joined. Its not like it was inconsistent with some important plot point. It was a comment she made in passing that had absolutely no emphasis on it.

I agree it is still inconsistent. However, you're massively exaggerating the significance of that if you are arguing that one trivial inconsistency ruined everything.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:51 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I agree it is still inconsistent. However, you're massively exaggerating the significance of that if you are arguing that one trivial inconsistency ruined everything.

Looks like I didn't edit my post fast enough. I explained why it is a hugely important detail, since it completely changes the ending. Not just what happens in the ending but what message it wants to send.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
Easily explained as her not offering the secret to her ultimate technique up to the guy who just joined.

Your theory would have had some merit if there had been something in the anime that supported it. You can usually take what a character says in anime to be true unless there is some actual indication at the time that they are lying, or they later admit that they were lying (or were wrong). Akame did neither. There's nothing to make anyone doubt what she said, except this powerup which seemingly came from nowhere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 30