• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Florida Teen Says Soul Eater Manga, Slenderman Inspired Her to Set Home on Fire

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Silly girl - clearly needs psychological help and this has very little to nothing to do with a form of entertaining, if it did we would all be a serial killer or some kind of criminal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
razisgosu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
So the girl was a complete and utter nut. Nothing to see here, moving on.
tobeast777

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Sounds to me that there's a possibility the girl may have been abused. If she was afraid of the way her mom was disciplining her. Would like to know the whole story. Could be she was someone in a lot of pain that didn't know what to do so tried to find a way out of her situation. It could also be that the mother did nothing wrong and the girl was just mentally unstable. It is sad either way though.
thennarynak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:
There's a big "parents need to learn how to raise their goddamned kids" problem. If your child grows up being unable to distinguish between what happens in Looney Tunes and Grand Theft Auto games, and what happens in real life, then some of the blame falls to the parents for not raising their children to know the difference (assuming there is a lack of mental disability in the child).

Quote:
the story reminded her of being bullied and how her mother disciplines her.

Bullshit. The young woman is throwing out things that sound important (i.e. bullying, abuse, etc. . .) and blaming it on either her hobbies or things she finds other people doing (i.e. reading manga, playing games, etc. . .)

I'm sorry but do you personally know this girl? If not than how can you say she's lying or not. You know next to nothing about her or what her family/school life is like so you have no right to discount what she says. The only people who have the right to say if she is lying or not are the people who actually know her.

It is ridiculous to blame things like manga and Slenderman for something like this. Clearly she had some kind of issue or issues going on that she needed help with but for whatever reason did not get it and made a terrible choice that she did regret. She was damn lucky that no one was hurt because of her actions and hopefully she will get the help she needs so she will never do something to endanger the lives of others again.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I can't remember the last time bad parenting was blamed for incidents like this. When I was 14 years old there wasn't a single piece of media that I wouldn't question before setting my house on fire.

I'm not even sure whey those things would influence arson.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Keep an eye on your 14 year old. Ignoring children can lead to devastating consequences. We are the most eccentric at that age. Especially the forum kind. Very Happy

Quote:
"There's a part in this book where two characters get in a fight with each other. All of a sudden that clicks something in her mind, and she decided she was going to kill her family."
Holy crap! I want to read what he read. WOW. Something in Maka's mind, suddenly clicks... "I'm going to kill my family". Oh man, that sounds just like Soul Eater and that alone has definitely contributed to it's success as a manga. Heh, kidding.

Her and her mother had a spat and the media is blaming shit again. I feel bad for the Mom and brother, having a loved one go crazy is not easy to take.

Last edited by Shadowrun20XX on Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Suena

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Isn't Soul Eater rated for 16+? There's a reason for those ratings.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
alright nothing new to see here lets just move along people
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I know it is a shame but it was bound to happen and will continue to happen, anything they read, watch or play that has any form of violence will be blamed. Because you know, no one would burn down their own home with their family inside if not motivated by anything.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote
And anti-manga & games comments from "esteemed and well-knowing persons" raving on at the evening news in 4... 3... 2...

But hey, if rock music promotes Satanic worshiping is you play the tracks backwards, maybe Soul Eater promotes arson is you read the Tankoubons backwards as well..... Yeah, right
Chii85

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I hope it doesn't wreck Funimation's and Yen Press reputation for this series.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Chii85 wrote:
I hope it doesn't wreck Funimation's and Yen Press reputation for this series.

It won't do shit because it's a stupid sensationalist news piece, one of thousands that have come before it. Trying to rally against and ban entertainment only makes their appeal stronger.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Quote:
"There's a part in this book where two characters get in a fight with each other. All of a sudden that clicks something in her mind, and she decided she was going to kill her family."
Holy crap! I want to read what he read. WOW. Something in Maka's mind, suddenly clicks... "I'm going to kill my family". Oh man, that sounds just like Soul Eater and that alone has definitely contributed to it's success as a manga. Heh, kidding.

Well, there is Crona and Medusa's relationship, but not sure how much of that is in the manga.
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
That girl is nothing more than an arsonist, she needs to be sentenced to 20 years in prison and let the story die, this doesn't need to end up in a debate about Slenderman and violent manga.

This is the problem with the American punishment mentality.
Spending her formative years in prison will do NOTHING to better her or society!
This girl is sick and needs help!

Veniamin wrote:
Inb4 liberals blame the manga instead of poor parenting.

Pretty sure it's the conservative's shtick to blame the entertainment their kids consume.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Okay media, off you go blaming anime and manga instead of parental ignorance. When I was a kid and did something bad (not as bad as this lol), my dad beat me with a belt. These days, parents start searching for the problem in the children interests (their books, games and movies). Crappy parenting is the result of 99% of these kinds of incidents
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6