• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Florida Teen Says Soul Eater Manga, Slenderman Inspired Her to Set Home on Fire

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:17 am Reply with quote
The only fallout I see is that some parents are going to tell their kids "no" on Soul Eater and maybe try to get their local library to stop carrying it. The lost sales won't mean anything to Hachette and libraries are used to dealing with people wanting books banned.
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:31 am Reply with quote
maybe it's just me because maybe I'm really bad informed or something
but seriously this kind of stories only happen on the US huhh...
(or maybe it's because here even if they found some mangas or whatever friki thingy that may be somewhat related they don't care and they only state the crime on the news, that's probably it I guess...)

PD: you know, after reading that part where they found out that she wrote in her diary about maybe they wouldn't be safe anymore at home because of slenderman(¿)
Quote:
Police found the girl's diary where she wrote extensively about the fictional horror character Slenderman. In her diary, Hartwell wrote, "If this keeps up there will be no safety in this house."

maybe it's just because she has schizophrenia, that would also smewhat explain why she tried to burn the house but then called/texted her mom apologizing and saying she didn't know why she did that

I'm probably wrong but yeah, it would be a good idea to check that out
after all schizophrenia starts around that age sometimes so it wouldn't be that improvable

furthermore, the girl is fourteen years old, teens that age tend to be unestable very easily, and if she was truly bullied....well, that wouldn't help either, and we don't know if there was also problems at home and stuff like that
I think what she needs is a psicologist and help, not to go to prison
Adv1sor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:12 am Reply with quote
This has nothing to do with anime I'm sorry to see ANN join the controlled media bull shit さようなら ANN.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Even good parents can lead to bad children. Nature vs nurture and so on.
Senseless violence is just that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shukujo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
... another starts rooting for a preposterous lawsuit by anime distributors...
What there is a little girl who is clearly mentally ill ...

Everyone is whipped into a frenzy to immediately defend the comics/characters that aren't even under attack. And please, stop blaming the parenting itself.

Preposterous as it may sound to you, cases like this are PRECISELY how the word 'otaku' got its oh-so-negative connotation AND its erroneous definition as a strictly anime-and-manga-related word in the 1st place, maybe you didn't know this? Prior to a couple of very sensationalized serial crimes in Japan where the culprits were found to have large collections of anime and/or manga at their homes, the word 'otaku' in Japanese wasn't an insult.

It was taken to mean a fan who could be considered so passionate about the subject of his or her fandom that they could be considered somewhat of an expert on that thing. You might even say you had to have respect for the person's sheer amount of knowledge on the subject - and that subject wasn't restricted to anime/manga. There are gun otaku, car otaku, hello kitty otaku, etc., but because of socially irresponsible police press conferences, the word otaku became an insult kids spat at other kids who seemed to enjoy their manga just a little too much - an insult that carried with it the accusation that those kids would also turn out like those criminals reported in the news.

So, yes, these kinds of news reports DO have effect, whether or not you personally see or care to admit it. I apologize if you found my hyperbolic remark about a lawsuit to be over the top, but this is a subject I find personally offensive - those Florida cops should know better than to be so specific about the case details, from a purely forensic and LEGAL point of view alone. They could have JUST AS EASILY said, "a popular graphic novel for teens," there was no need to name the title. It was socially irresponsible of them, and a little suspicious.

As for the girl, I DO BELIEVE I STATED REPEATEDLY THAT SHE NEEDS HELP, in fact, I'm now even hazarding that there may have been a reason the cops named the book's title specifically, which is a little hinky, no matter how you cut it, giving up a detail like that so soon. It's possible they already knew she was high-risk - and did nothing, which would make them want the public to latch on to something else to blame right away. As you said, it's too early, really - both for that detail to be given out, AND to know anything more concrete about that girl's situation.

On a lighter note, I was in a chat room, and someone in there said, in response to watching the video, "She used bleach, right? so it wasn't soul eater's fault after all, it was bleach's fault!" LULZ.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
While the girl has problems, she still does need to serve time for her crimes, which are quite serious. She can get her mental health counseling in prison. There is no good end for this for the family or the girl.
leesahlynn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
This has nothing to do with anime, manga, or parenting. She's mentally ill, she was born with this ailment, this is the result of not catching it early (because mental health is a little known science) and not being on medication and in therapy from the start. That's the kind of drastic action that needs to be taken early on in the life of a mentally ill child, her brain was never able to fully separate reality from fiction, which seemed like a typical kid's imagination to the adults in her life. It's the same story every time. What ultimately lets these kids down is the social stigma surrounding mental healthcare that continues to make it hard to seriously fund real research on the subject.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, can we call this what it really is?

Florida teen is a crazy head case but is smart enough to know that blaming someone else and shirking all personal responsibility may get the punishment reduced.
mdreura

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
While the girl has problems, she still does need to serve time for her crimes, which are quite serious. She can get her mental health counseling in prison. There is no good end for this for the family or the girl.

Okay, going off on a rant here (mostly) unrelated to anime, but relevant to the news article:

This whole "they can get their counseling in PRISON" sentiment that rears its head when atrocities happen is a toxic and dangerous attitude that contibutes majorly to the dilemma America finds itself in today where prisons are so packed they're forced to set convicted offenders free, while mental health is neglected and out of reach to people who would benefit and ought to be receiving it. Prisons aren't hospitals, they're cages. When you imprison the mentally ill, they don't get help, they end up in isolation cells in restraints on suicide watch with minimal contact and minimal treatment. There's no end to the horror stories. Google it and see for yourself.

The girl needs therapy, period. Thank goodness the family was unharmed. Soul Eater is a shameful distraction from real world problems.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Let's hope that this won't create a new form of anti-Japanese sentiment in the US.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote
back in the day rock music used to be thought of as connections to the occult,and the devil/satanism.

kids shows like pokemon:believed to promote slavery and communism.

video games:believed to entice children and teens everywhere to commit violent acts of horror.

present day: Soul eater (and any anime and manga/fantasy elements) spur children to commit acts of arson?

What a world we live in. Rolling Eyes
Wooga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait for someone at Fox News to learn about Zankyou no Terror
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Seems to me like this is being blown up to proportion by both sides here, meaning non-anime media and anime media plus its readers. Slenderman will take on more precedence over Soul Eater, and to be honest I think this will die down after it has had its 15 minutes. Are there problems with this girl? Sure seems like it. Are there problems with the materials that have been cited? Depends upon your point of view. Should she have been looking at said materials? For someone her age or even her mental state, maybe not. Do we have the whole picture of what truly happened here? Absolutely not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Nothing to see hree folks, just another example of media sensationalism without doing proper research. Rolling Eyes
ishmael

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:44 am Reply with quote
BrainBlow wrote:

Veniamin wrote:
Inb4 liberals blame the manga instead of poor parenting.

Pretty sure it's the conservative's shtick to blame the entertainment their kids consume.

Well these days, both sides are guilty of this (the religious right is really good at this). When a politician want to reassure parents, they will blame anything to get their vote.

But I think the kind of comment Veniamin made is pathetic liberal-bashing that doesn't have this place on this site or in relation to the story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6