• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cross Ange: Rondo of Angels and Dragons (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Just so we are clear, leatherhead333, although I recognize the obvious intent of scenes like that, don't think for a second I'm onboard with your pointless, "but the scene isn't necessary for Ange's development" belly-aching. You insist on applying inappropriate analyses of series that are very clear in what they are and what they are intending. As I've said before, I have no problem with somebody not liking a flavour that a show is offering, but I find your "this apple is not an orange!" style of commentary quite useless with respect to engendering any kind of relevant discussion.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I would think Pixiv not having anything largely reinforces Blood's hypothesis. How often do they use hentai characters?

If you're suggesting there's an attitude of "this show has enough fap material, we don't need to draw our own"... Hahaha, that's a good one! You clearly haven't seen how To Love Ru fan art exploded after Darkness started.

A lack of fanart is typically a sign of lack of popularity above all. In most shows the moment there's a slightly suggestive image you can bet your ass there'll be fan art drawn of it. After that scene in Adlnoah.Zero you could find a bunch of art with Asseylum and Rayet in the shower.

Yttrbio wrote:
I think you don't see anime as engineered, which is fine, but I don't think it would kill you to understand that a lot of people do see it that way, and that your "well, these things happens" attitude is entirely nonresponsive to the points being made.

Of course I know it's engineered, but I'm not going to automatically assume the intent of the creators is evil. I've seen people talk about how 'sinister' shows like Is the Order a Rabbit? are just because there's scenes of the girls' changing. If you're too busy focusing on stuff like that, how are you supposed to enjoy anything?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
although I recognize the obvious intent of scenes like that, don't think for a second I'm onboard with your pointless, "but the scene isn't necessary for Ange's development" belly-aching.

I have to agree with Blood- on that as well (on a roll here or I guess I am just delirious.) I'll go one step further and say it is one of the more wrongheaded opinions I have seen in a long time.

It isn't like we all haven't seen this EXACT SAME STORY before. Not once not twice many dozens of times going back centuries of storytelling.

Cross Ange follows this formula to six significant decimal digits. Now some guy leatherhead333 comes along and says the formula is all wrong. Why? Just because he personally doesn't like what they did. Sorry if we aren't buying it but we ain't.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Shows don't need a suggestive image at all to generate large amounts of fan art.

Vaisaga wrote:
Of course I know it's engineered, but I'm not going to automatically assume the intent of the creators is evil. I've seen people talk about how 'sinister' shows like Is the Order a Rabbit? are just because there's scenes of the girls' changing. If you're too busy focusing on stuff like that, how are you supposed to enjoy anything?
I'll admit, I haven't heard that one. I don't see why being aware of the sledgehammer-level subtlety in presenting the show has to detract from enjoyment of a show. While I'm painfully aware of what this show is trying to do, that doesn't mean it doesn't succeed. (I don't know that "enjoy" is the adjective I'd use for Cross Ange, though) I'm watching this show, and will continue watching the show because it pushes buttons I want pushed, and there's nothing evil about that, but I'm not going to pretend that the writing decisions are derived from a careful analysis of "what is the most plausible in this situation?" as opposed to "what's the fastest way to manipulate things to get the response we want from the viewer?"

By the by, judging from the OP and tradition in these kinds of shows, I'm fairly sure spoiler[Captain McRapey is going to bite it next episode, too, leaving red-headed mean-girl to carry on a vendetta on more equal terms.] I think this is going to be an improvement.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Shows don't need a suggestive image at all to generate large amounts of fan art.

You're right, they don't, but such scenes really get the inspiration pumping. Then again, the lack of fanart could be due to demographics. The last couple of non-Gundam Sunrise shows (Tiger and Bunny, Valvrave, Buddy Complex) all had huge yaoi followings. Obviously this show doesn't allow for that.

Anyways, in the end how about I just go with "sure it might be heavy handed on the writer's part, but I don't care because it still works in the narrative."
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:
Now when I see violence, rape and death I want it to be very closely related to the plot that is progressively linear in an expansive fashion, as well in direct correlation to the evolution of the characters, but it also has to have an more important aspect. That aspect being that it delves profoundly into the psychological aspects, not only on the individual, personal, adaptive level, but in addition as well as from multiple points of view from different sociocultural niches involving things such as rationality, reactionary psychology, even denial and most importantly many types of adaptation to ones surroundings.

But it was pretty closely related to the story and the rabbit hole Ange has fallen into. After she tries to fight back out of her situation using the power she held before she finds herself the one dominated by someone else's power. The power she thought she held with a letter is completely ignored and a random request from a captain is quickly allowed. We learn that with all they have, sex that is essentially rape is allowed, and as Ange scratches beneath the surface we find that some of them are just broken, the lifestyle can take things from them.

Ange's disgusted spit at the end shows that she is still far from broken, how the events from the end of the episode affect her differently is to be seen.

Basically what you've said is all we've learned from the scene is that rape is allowed. Cool story bro? She's been being pushed around this entire time. Why would this time be any different?

Now since I'm rather tired of countering lame points for such a pointless scene I'm just going to go full out and describe why I personally found it to have nothing of value.

Now firstly I'm not a "rape should not be portrayed at all in fiction" (which I'm sure some of you seem to believe). I believe it can be a legitimate psychological aspect to a story if you integrate it properly. Here are two well detailed examples of molestation/rape being used in a way that expands the viewers understanding of the characters and setting.

Tokyo Ghoul (did I mention that I love this show?)

spoiler[It never seemed to get brought up in the forums but Rize who was implanted inside of Kankei felt him up A LOT whenever she appeared in his mind. While this bugged me a bit it was very symbolic of the kind of person Rize is. She along with other ghouls take pleasure in eating humans. For Rize she recieved sexual pleasure when killing humans. When she constantly invaded Kankei's mind her groping him was how she attempted to make him adopt her own mindset when killing other humans. Since he was also on the brink of starvation during the first few days of refusing to eat people this aided in her seduction.

Later in the final episode she does it again but goes all out in attempting to break his current state of naivety. After all having Kankei die wouldn't do her any good now would it? I'm sure her intentions were evil but if she had not done it Kankei would have surely died.
]

Psycho-Pass

spoiler[In the the first episode there was rape almost immediately. This is something that happens on the MC's first day on the job no less. However the result of the case expanded on the setting and why this world could be considered screwed up.

Since in this show criminals are killed or "profiled" before they can even make the crime it stands to reason if you know that your boned you'd do whatever you wanted while you could. This does not justify that he raped a innocent women but it's much more understandable than if he did it because he felt like it. Afterwards she is shown to be in the same boat he is even though she was merely a victim in all of this. This is due to her being traumatized by what had just happened to her. But she is later talked out of attempting to harm the officers and here Psycho meter goes down to the point it would not be nessacery to kill her.

So after this the viewer is left with many ways to look at the system of this society. While one could certainly see the benefits of being able to take out crime before it happens when people are going crazy BECAUSE of the system doesn't that make the morality of such a thing very grey? And if it's possible to talk things out with someone and lower their psycho level doesn't that raise even more flags?

Through this instance we are left asking questions and wanting to know more about this world wondering if it is morally correct. And this was achieved through a rape scenario. Ironic huh?
]

So lets compare that to Ange now. We as the audience did not really learn anything from this attempted raped scene. First of all we already know that her assaulter is a lesbian wolf. This was established in an earlier sex scene. We already know that rules are probably not very well enforced since nobody cares if these people live or die. So raped being allowed is pretty unimportant. Next what was accomplished through the dialogue from the two. To be fair there was a bit of an ATTEMPT to destroy Ange's way of thinking from her assaulter but it was only one sentence in length.

Now I would not have minded the scene as much if she attempted to break Ange's way of thinking instead of just full on trying to rape her. I mean we are eventually supposed to see her as a good guy in the future right? So if she was calling Ange out on her bullshit it would have been WAY less offensive. But no. After that one meaningful line of dialogue she tries to go down with Ange and the alarm rings.

So having said all that I can conclude without a shred of a doubt that this scene had no relevance to the story, setting or characters and was completely pointless.

Now if you are like blood- and hate me because I'm being a sour grape because something doesn't appeal to my tastes that's fine. But please don't try to argue that this stuff has any contextual value when it doesn't.

Please and thank you Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
@leatherhead333 - I don't hate you because you are a sour grape who is watching something that isn't to his taste. I hate you because you so frequently bring forth points that are stupid, irrelevant or the product of your narrowly defined viewpoint of what constitutes good writing. I actually don't mind exchanging opposing ideas with an intelligent person. That can be fun and I can potentially learn something. That is impossible with you. I am basing that judgment on numerous of your posts over a period of time on different shows.

Look at your latest foray into wtfness. In your view, a show should only portray rape if it has a legitimate psychological aspect and is integrated properly. That is a perfectly fine position to hold. Expecting a show like Cross Ange to fulfil that position is simply rejected. Hey, maybe that's how you get your jollies. You start watching a show that tells you right up front it isn't going to deliver the kind of story you want and then you expend billions of pixels ruminating on the obvious. Guess what, Super Genius - the sequel to Dumb and Dumber is not going to be a Woody Allen-esque foray into witty, urbane comedy. It is totally upfront about it. Nobody sane would ever expect that it would. Yet, you are the type of person who would watch it and report back breathlessly, "hey, guise - know what? The Dumb and Dumber sequel is not a Woody Allen-esque foray into witty, urbane comedy!!! Here, let me write a 100,000 words on something anyone with an IQ over 35 already knows!!! Yay, won't that be fun!!!"

As I've said before - Cross Ange knows it is a big, stupid, melodramatic, exploitative, fanservice action show. It understands this to the marrow of its bones. It is trying to appeal to an audience that likes big, stupid, melodramatic, exploitative, fanservice action shows. It understands what sort of scenes are appropriate in that context.

This is the last post I will ever direct towards you. You are the first ANN poster whose comments I will actively ignore. I won't do this because I disagree with you. I read people I disagree with all the time. Even when dtm42 was at his most dickish, I continued to read his posts because as much as I often disagreed with him, there was at least a recognizable intelligence at work.

There is no such element with you. Having to constantly explain that 2+2=4 does not make debating opposing viewpoints fun and that's where we are with you. You are quite possibly the most colossally pointless poster I have ever encountered on any message board dedicated to any subject. Kudos.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:44 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
So lets compare that to Ange now. We as the audience did not really learn anything from this attempted raped scene. First of all we already know that her assaulter is a lesbian wolf. This was established in an earlier sex scene. We already know that rules are probably not very well enforced since nobody cares if these people live or die. So raped being allowed is pretty unimportant. Next what was accomplished through the dialogue from the two. To be fair there was a bit of an ATTEMPT to destroy Ange's way of thinking from her assaulter but it was only one sentence in length.

No, you did not entirely listen to what I posted. It was not that rape is allowed, it is that a person of rank was allowed to do what she wanted of someone of lower rank. In a situation where Ange tries to pull her old society rank, she has still not realised it holds no power in the new ranking.

You have also completely ignored the point I made that the scene revealed that the characters are broken. We find out the girl is missing an eye, the life they are living is not just a case of strong people dominate the weak, it is that they all have lost something. That girl might have been completely normal before, but underneath they are scarred, it may very well be what Ange has to look forward to. This is something that was not focused on before this scene, but apparently think it is pointless.

If you want to refute my point, please show me that the series had already shown that a person of higher rank is allowed to use that power for their own pleasure against the lower person's will. And that the higher up people being harsh are not perfectly okay. The only other scene showing prosphetics was with the one that has an arm, which I would say was done as a way to show some complexity to her, and to lead into this scene without making it look like the eye came out of nowhere.

The scene really was a way to illustrate a point that was in the first episode where the baby was taken away from their mother. We know from that scene that these girls have thus been missing something important as they grow up, but that is a little hard to illustrate. This scene was a great way to really bring to head the point the show had been making at various points about what they lack from being taken from family and other facets, and what they do to fill in those holes. The theme had also been explored in the episode with Coco's interest in Ange too, something that had the tragedy shown later.

Go ahead and say that I am overthinking this. But either you are going to have to accept that there are some reasons, or that we are really just overthinking what should just be entertainment.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:50 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

This is the last post I will ever direct towards you. You are the first ANN poster whose comments I will actively ignore. I won't do this because I disagree with you. I read people I disagree with all the time. Even when dtm42 was at his most dickish, I continued to read his posts because as much as I often disagreed with him, there was at least a recognizable intelligence at work.

There is no such element with you. Having to constantly explain that 2+2=4 does not make debating opposing viewpoints fun and that's where we are with you. You are quite possibly the most colossally pointless poster I have ever encountered on any message board dedicated to any subject. Kudos.

It makes me rather sad to hear you say that Blood since I personally respect your way of presenting opinions as I never feel like I'm talking with a brick. You've convinced me of things as I to have convinced you of somewhat agreeing with my viewpoints. However you are off the mark by quite a bit here. I did come into Ange with SOME expectations because I thought the scenario was interesting and the story had a lot of potential. You yourself Blood seem to think no one else takes the things YOU like unseriously even though they obviously do. Chibi in the Akame ga Kill thread analyzes every detail of the show giving it as much credit as possible even though I know for a fact the writers never intended to make viewers think to much about it. You yourself keep telling me that the show is never meant to be taken seriously. However you seem to let it slide because of the fact someone else enjoys what you enjoy. So even if they are over thinking with it you aren't going to care. But someone on the opposite side of the coin is going to mess with your jive. Of course..........

Besides, in this discussion in particular I've been explaining my viewpoint on WHY the scene was pointless in my opinion and others have been trying to contradict that saying it served some purpose. So really what's your problem here? Isn't that kind of the point of a discussion? Your issue with me doesn't even line up with what's going on here. You yourself acknowledge what kind of series this is. Others don't. So I'm simply stating my opinion to counteract what they believe to be relevant. I see no problem here.

Whatever the case I'm sure your life with be happy without me Crying or Very sad

DuskyPredator wrote:

No, you did not entirely listen to what I posted. It was not that rape is allowed, it is that a person of rank was allowed to do what she wanted of someone of lower rank. In a situation where Ange tries to pull her old society rank, she has still not realised it holds no power in the new ranking.

You have also completely ignored the point I made that the scene revealed that the characters are broken. We find out the girl is missing an eye, the life they are living is not just a case of strong people dominate the weak, it is that they all have lost something. That girl might have been completely normal before, but underneath they are scarred, it may very well be what Ange has to look forward to. This is something that was not focused on before this scene, but apparently think it is pointless.

If you want to refute my point, please show me that the series had already shown that a person of higher rank is allowed to use that power for their own pleasure against the lower person's will. And that the higher up people being harsh are not perfectly okay. The only other scene showing prosphetics was with the one that has an arm, which I would say was done as a way to show some complexity to her, and to lead into this scene without making it look like the eye came out of nowhere.

The scene really was a way to illustrate a point that was in the first episode where the baby was taken away from their mother. We know from that scene that these girls have thus been missing something important as they grow up, but that is a little hard to illustrate. This scene was a great way to really bring to head the point the show had been making at various points about what they lack from being taken from family and other facets, and what they do to fill in those holes. The theme had also been explored in the episode with Coco's interest in Ange too, something that had the tragedy shown later.

Go ahead and say that I am overthinking this. But either you are going to have to accept that there are some reasons, or that we are really just overthinking what should just be entertainment.

But Dusky why would that scene in particular show Ange she didn't have power because of her rank? She's been being told what to do by literally EVERYONE ever since she's entered the place against her own will. That scene did not make the issue anymore prevalent.

If you just took a look how these people are forced to live DP you'd know that they really don't care about Normas. Ange had to put on the suit of someone who recently died. This was shows how cruel the system in the prison is since they probably don't have proper funerals for the dead. One of the characters pointed out before that the Captain always gets carried away with the skinship on the newcomers and they have been receiving complaints. Well I'm pretty sure if you were raped in a prison the officers don't just turn a blind eye and say "suck it up". While they obviously don't always work there are actions that are taken to prevent these things from happening if someone is a victim of rape in prisons. The fact no such action exists here besides "please tone it down" heavily implies she does this with all the newbies.

Your argument with the people being broken doesn't really pertain to that scene. Yes it helps flesh them out as individuals but what does that have to do with the captain? She takes great pleasure predatoring on other girls and is not shy about making that known. I fail to see any psychological reasoning for her lesbian antics besides the fact that she just likes girls. Nothing wrong with that but if I'm supposed to feel bad for her maybe there should have been more of an attempt to show us how she came into the group turning into the person she is now. I mean I kind of like the rest of the girls since the worst they've done is be pissy with Ange when she's a dick to them (which is totally reasonable) but the Captain doesn't seem to be a person we are supposed to sympathize with.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
If you just took a look how these people are forced to live DP you'd know that they really don't care about Normas. Ange had to put on the suit of someone who recently died. This was shows how cruel the system in the prison is since they probably don't have proper funerals for the dead. One of the characters pointed out before that the Captain always gets carried away with the skinship on the newcomers and they have been receiving complaints. Well I'm pretty sure if you were raped in a prison the officers don't just turn a blind eye and say "suck it up". While they obviously don't always work there are actions that are taken to prevent these things from happening if someone is a victim of rape in prisons. The fact no such action exists here besides "please tone it down" heavily implies she does this with all the newbies.[/spoiler]

Your argument with the people being broken doesn't really pertain to that scene. Yes it helps flesh them out as individuals but what does that have to do with the captain? She takes great pleasure predatoring on other girls and is not shy about making that known. I fail to see any psychological reasoning for her lesbian antics besides the fact that she just likes girls. Nothing wrong with that but if I'm supposed to feel bad for her maybe there should have been more of an attempt to show us how she came into the group turning into the person she is now. I mean I kind of like the rest of the girls since the worst they've done is be pissy with Ange when she's a dick to them (which is totally reasonable) but the Captain doesn't seem to be a person we are supposed to sympathize with.

But is this a prison in the usual sense. The people keeping her down and in place have been the prisoners too, from having their will made what it is they essentially become wardens. The captain was not just another prisoner who would rape her and not get in trouble, she is also keeping her in line, she tries to stop Ange from running away. There is a big blur of what is the difference between prisoner and warden.

And what do you mean that they are broken does not pertain to the scene? You yourself mentioned that she takes pleasure predatoring, do you think that has nothing to do with the fact she is older and battles have cost her things like her eye? Strong skinship had been hinted, but prior action looked far more consensual before we saw this. The scene showed that really did not need to be consensual, which was not shown by the previous scene, and only hinted at before.

If I had to give a description of the scene, it would be along the lines of: The captain forces herself on Ange, the captain does not listen to her refusal. Ange knew these people were beasts but she did not expect this. She takes a swipe at the captain and is shocked at what happens, an eye flies out of its socket and hits lands on the ground, the captain barely flinches as secret if her artificial eye is revealed, in fact she takes pleasure in her spirit not being broken. What kind of events could have created a monster like this? Before it can go any further she is saved by an alarm, unfortunately she is about to experience the type of events herself.

If you can't see the scene playing out like that and how it will directly link between training and what will happen next, then I don't know how else to convince you that there was merit to the scene.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Why the hell would be consensual in the first place? I'm not sure how you think people work DP but if someone starts predtoring on you when you've when you just been emitted to a prison where they not only don't care about your well being but basically write you off as a unimportant static when you die would you really be consenting to her? That's not how people in prison work. They don't just suddenly go "well maybe I should start being interested in lesbian wolf commanders now!". She's been doing this to newbies for a long time now. And I certainly don't see how you could believe that they were all consensual especially if people "complained" about it which you seemed to miss in your post. As I said in a regular prison if someone is uncomfortably aggressive with you there actions that are taken to try to prevent an unfavorable outcome. But this isn't a regular prison. Which is why the reveal that rape would be allowed doesn't surprise me at all. Is it something that I 100% figured out ahead of time? No. But does it shock me in a "omg i didn't expect that!" way? No.

You keep forgetting DP that they do NOT CARE ABOUT these people. Which means what happens to them on their own time is of no concern. Heck the consequence of abandoning a mission is death. That is NOT in line with standard military operations. You'd receive a dishonorable discharge with prison time depending on how severe the situation was.

While you sort of have a point with the eye ball scene you are looking at it from a skewed angle. We've seen how these girls have been affected physically by this job with their body parts having to be replaced. But mentally? They all seem rather stable. Most of them are veterans which means they have their emotions in check. They are all shown to be rather normal military girls. The captains fetish is not shown to be something we should wonder about. It's something that's meant to titillate the viewer. And is played off as a joke during most her encounters with the group as they talk about it. You seem to get the weird idea that this feature is supposed to make her some broken compelling solider who gets off on having sex with women for some psychological reason. I simply don't see how the audience is supposed to have that viewpoint at all. She's a girl who likes other girls. That's all there is too it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:07 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
You seem to get the weird idea that this feature is supposed to make her some broken compelling solider who gets off on having sex with women for some psychological reason. I simply don't see how the audience is supposed to have that viewpoint at all. She's a girl who likes other girls. That's all there is too it.

So you have done posts about that they were too shallow, and then you refuse to think a scene that was titillating can be anything other than titillating? Having one lose their eye as we suddenly found out as she forced herself on Ange was not meant to titillate. I do not hold the opinion that the reveal makes her sympathetic, merely that it holds a window to maybe why she is the way she is.

I personally did not find the mention "strong skinship" as a joke. If that is how you found it, then you must be enjoying Ange being tortured more than I am. it is a little inconsistent to find that a joke and expect the series to deal with situations maturely when it appears you are not. Its like Complaining that SAO has cartoonish villains without depth, and then also complaining that the series was trying to make the first main villain in a light that he is good after all. You are holding two separate expectations for parts that are actually connected.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Well the third episode was certainly interesting. Laughing spoiler[ Two lolis eliminated and Zala gone too]. Ange is such a bitch. Unfortunately it seems she has gone on a redemption path too quickly.
And what about spoiler[ her ring Rolling Eyes ] ?
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:
You seem to get the weird idea that this feature is supposed to make her some broken compelling solider who gets off on having sex with women for some psychological reason. I simply don't see how the audience is supposed to have that viewpoint at all. She's a girl who likes other girls. That's all there is too it.

So you have done posts about that they were too shallow, and then you refuse to think a scene that was titillating can be anything other than titillating? Having one lose their eye as we suddenly found out as she forced herself on Ange was not meant to titillate. I do not hold the opinion that the reveal makes her sympathetic, merely that it holds a window to maybe why she is the way she is.

I personally did not find the mention "strong skinship" as a joke. If that is how you found it, then you must be enjoying Ange being tortured more than I am. it is a little inconsistent to find that a joke and expect the series to deal with situations maturely when it appears you are not. Its like Complaining that SAO has cartoonish villains without depth, and then also complaining that the series was trying to make the first main villain in a light that he is good after all. You are holding two separate expectations for parts that are actually connected.

(facepalm).............

Now your just making up crap that I didn't say. When did I say I found the strong skinship comment to be funny? Oh wait that's right..........I didn't. I said the CHARACTERS treated it as a joke since the captain even made a pass at another girl during that conversation. That simply shows signs that they really didn't care that much about it.

Also did you notice that the captain seductively licked her eye before putting it back in? And then proceeds to go right back to assaulting Ange? Yeeeees no titillation going there. We already knew that they had to have their body parts replaced. If having her eye end up on the floor was the first we heard of it I'd understand what you were saying but we saw the others having artificial body parts already. The question of "why these people are the way they are" was ALREADY opened. Now if the captain had a subtly placed flashback at that time or some dialogue of exposition the scene has a purpose. But finding out she has a messed up eye is basically the only thing we got from that scene.

Look I really don't know what else to tell you. You seem set on giving importance to the scene so I won't argue further. We'll just have to see how episode 3 plays out.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:25 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Also did you notice that the captain seductively licked her eye before putting it back in? And then proceeds to go right back to assaulting Ange? Yeeeees no titillation going there.

And you don't find messed up. I acknowledged the secene was titillating, and said that a scene can be titillating as well as provide something more to the table.

leatherhead333 wrote:
We already knew that they had to have their body parts replaced. If having her eye end up on the floor was the first we heard of it I'd understand what you were saying but we saw the others having artificial body parts already. The question of "why these people are the way they are" was ALREADY opened. Now if the captain had a subtly placed flashback at that time or some dialogue of exposition the scene has a purpose. But finding out she has a messed up eye is basically the only thing we got from that scene.

We had only known about prosthetics from one scene earlier, and that is with only one character who was considerably older, and from what we knew had a command job instead of a combat job. That gave no indication that other characters would also. Chances are if was suddenly revealed this character had one before any hint beforehand, someone would complain about it coming out of nowhere.

leatherhead333 wrote:
Look I really don't know what else to tell you. You seem set on giving importance to the scene so I won't argue further. We'll just have to see how episode 3 plays out.

And you seem intent to prove the scene had no importance at all. I have explained how it was a way to show how those of a higher rank have power over those lower, yet you think it is just a standard prison rape with no other context. You have said that all parts earlier talking about strong skniship was enough that we did not need to see it, that character treated it like a joke diminishes the act, so we are meant to believe the act itself holds no value past some rape joke we are just meant to gawk at and not read between the lines of more to it.

You started this conversation saying that it was a flaw in the series that they put in that scene as there was no meaning to it. I have given precise explanations that there was more going on in that scenes. You have expressed your point that there already scenes that showed these topics, but I argue that those scenes were kind of like foreshadowing, they were all separate and something Ange had apparently ignored or not been there to witness. This scene pulled them all together, and did so in a way that Ange could not ignore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 28