• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cross Ange: Rondo of Angels and Dragons (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
Does anyone want to see Hilda re-united with the mother that replaced her and treated her like garbage? Ange with the twisted sister that tortured her just for kicks? Are they going to do another personality 180 and forget everything they did?

Gee, like those are the only options. My understanding is that the general population is unaware of the threat of DRAGONs and the role that Normas play in suppressing them. In true melodramatic fashion, I want to see a dramatization of people realizing the Normas are heroines, not scum. I think both Hilda's mom and sister are retrievable - in a melodramatic sense - whereas Julio is not. Your comment, for example, that Ange's sister tortured her "just for kicks" is colossally simple-minded - much like the show itself. No doubt the sister, assisted by Julio, holds Ange responsible for the death of her parents and, retroactively, for her paralysis. In a melodramatic context, I can buy her hatred of Ange. But yeah, if you are going to bizarrely hold this show to some sort of real world standard of reality, I sense continuing frustration in your future.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
If Sylphia doesn't end up dead or imprisoned by the end of this show, yes I'll be frustrated.

I'm sure Julio will, but that's a given.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
And that's my point of all of this. The total and willing break with all empathy. Each and every one of the people in that world would gladly turn each other over to imprisonment and death, so long as it isn't them.

Do we ever see Nouma turning themselves over? Nope. So clearly this is not being done for the common good. This is a world of cruel, selfish people willingly buying into a policy where anyone at any time can be betrayed without hesitation, and everyone is on board with sacrificing anyone close to them, so long as it isn't them losing their freedom/life.

So you're saying it's just like real life then?

Most norma we see being taken away are young children who likely don't understand the gravity of the situation, and probably didn't realise something was wrong with them in the first place. They'd get taken before they knew they should turn themselves in.

We can easily say that the treatment of norma is terrible, but to the people in universe such treatment is 100% justified and acceptable. Do they believe this because they're all inherently evil? No, they believe it because that's what society tells them is acceptable.

HaruhiToy wrote:
But if so, how did Momoka escape that? Or did she?

I think the difference with Momoka is that she knew Ange was a Norma the whole time. There was no sense of shock and betrayal when it became public. However we saw that Momoka treated the other norma as lower class while on the island, so Ange is the only exception for her initially.

Bugnin wrote:
There almost has to be some sort of personality-altering control, or this becomes very hard to accept, short of 99.9% of mana users just being irredeemable monsters.

Well I suppose you could consider normal socialization as a kind of mind control... It did have everyone believing the Sun revolved around the Earth, women weren't people, everyone should have guns, africans were great slaves, and homosexuality is a mental disease for many years.

Bugnin wrote:
And stop passing this off as a "culture" thing. Norma themselves are not getting rid of themselves, are they? This isn't some sacrifice that everyone understands and is in agreement on, it's self-serving back stabbing.

But it is a culture thing. And just because it's for "the greater good" doesn't mean everyone's going to do it. By that logic, everyone with AIDS or Ebola or whatever should just kill themselves so the infection won't spread.

To be less extreme, you're suggesting that it's only natural for anyone who commits a crime to turn themselves in. If only that were true...

Bugnin wrote:
No, I get that the Normas are the only people in this series allowed to have a sense of actual human empathy, with one or two exceptions out of the presumably millions of mana users.

Remember that norma aren't human, so mana users wouldn't have 'human empathy' for them in the first place. I'm sure mana users have plenty of empathy for other humans. They do have world peace, after all.

Bugnin wrote:
My question was more along the lines of what is there to root for? They're risking their lives each day protecting an entire population that pretty much has no redeeming quality. They have no loved ones to protect as they've all willingly shunned them. What outcome am I supposed to want here as a viewer, other than the squad not get killed in each encounter? Certainly, I'm not rooting for them to stop the Dragons, which was supposed to be the premise of the show.

I'm sure the norma care less about protecting humans and more about making money and making their own lives as comfortable as possible. Aside from potentially becoming dragon chow, they actually have it pretty nice on the island.

Jill and the others are also planning something big, so there's that.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

I renew my argument that Sylphia is far worse than Julio.

All Julio wants is to eliminate an obstacle to power. Sylphia is just a sadistic monster.

It was funny listening to Ange ask herself what I asked here last week:spoiler[whats the point in protecting any of them? They are all rotten to the core. They deserve a fiery death.]

The closest thing to payback we got was spoiler[Ange telling Sylphia how disgusting she was and cutting Julio's face and watching him cry like a little bitch as they escaped.]

Things came full circle when spoiler[Ange realized too late that she really was better off in that prison.]

I never thought this show could possibly spoiler[make me feel sorry for Hilda. She lost everything she had in exchange for being rejected and beaten. ]

.Irony of ironies, spoiler[The two girls that hated each other and fought each other for most of this series have lost everything but in the end they realize have each other to lean on to keep going]

Dammit this episode was a masterpiece. I never would have expected writing this good out of Cross Ange of all shows.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:08 am Reply with quote
Poor old spoiler[Tusk's face is gonna start looking like a glazed donut (albeit a bloody and beaten glazed donut) if he keeps falling into Ange's koochie like that. Or should I say Lucky Tusk's face? I larfed when he earnestly noted that the carpet matches the drapes.]

And Hilda is not being spoiler[honest with herself. Pretending she was never friends with Chris and Rosalie. Admit it - you wuv them!]

So now Ange and Hilda have a purpose. Ass will be kicked. Names will be taken. Can't wait.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:00 am Reply with quote
Well, that last episode made me angrier than I expected

spoiler[Lets move aside from the stupid comments and pratfalls from Tusk and instead move to the general tone of it all. So Ange and Hilda finally adopt the Lelouch style of seeing the world and wanting it to only be crushed and battered without any idea of what replaces it. For how evil Lelouch is, at least he had a stated end goal and he still had close friends and family. Ange sounds like a angst-ridden teenager going through a counter-revolutionary stage of growth. How nihilistic of her.

Looks like I've gone back to disliking this show. Ange will always be that sticking point. For the few moments of humanity and compassion I see in her, something that reduces her to being a mouthpiece for nihilism and anti-societal rants pops up and makes me hate her]

For those who had read the spoiler, yes I am pissed and yes, I am angry due to other things
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
It was funny listening to Ange ask herself what I asked here last week:spoiler[whats the point in protecting any of them? They are all rotten to the core. They deserve a fiery death.]

With that kind of thinking, I suppose we all should have gone extinct about 8 times by now.

It's terrible, for sure, but I still think you're too focused on internal factors and not considering external ones.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

I am now over feeling depressed in this series, and I think that sentiment is being shared by Ange and Hilda. It is time to fight back in some way and make the world pay for taking things away. Also because of reasons I ended up watching the beginning of this episode multiple times because I had trouble loading. There are so many times I can spoiler[watch someone get whipped by a crazy girl in a floating wheelchair] before it starts to take a toll on my psyche.

But with thosespoiler[ two girls who think Hilda was never their friend, I have a sinking feeling that one of them has risen a death flag]. The ED seemed to even by leaning on this that.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

It makes me wonder what Momoka's involvement in all that might be. She was presented as a stowaway that got to the island without any authorization. Yet apparently they knew to send a message through her. They also had to have some idea that Ange was even capable of leaving the island and to do that you would need someone like Momoka who had mana powers to fly the transport. Unless Momoka is complicit in some way there is something very screwy here.

Exactly my point, though the recent episode does explain that spoiler[her arrival on the island was also part of the plan all along. Exactly how still remains a mystery]. Odds are is that after Ange would have been hung, she would have been too. I assume it'd be partly due to the conspiracy, and partly due to her services no longer being needed.

That being said, I enjoyed Julio finally having something happen to him (though his cheek seems to bleed more than Ange's shoulder wound from the previous episode). And is it wrong to say I liked Tusk's whole "Faceful of vag" moment in this episode? I also found it interesting in the next episode preview that there's spoiler[a dragon actually invading Arzenal]. Wonder how that's going to work out now that Ange and Hilda are in a week long, 24-hour a day lock down.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
And Hilda is not being spoiler[honest with herself. Pretending she was never friends with Chris and Rosalie. Admit it - you wuv them!]

I agree -- there was really no reason Hilda had to buy the tricked-out apartment and take possession of Chris and Rosalie.

Actually I am a bit disappointed with that pair. I can understand that they had never seen the outside world but I would have thought they might have at least some bit of sympathy for Hilda. More like Vivian has for Ange. Yet it seems that they have severe abandonment issues which would be understandable.

Those high school girls were [expletive] ghastly -- as bad as Sylphia if not worse. They seemed convinced that Angelise "took" their lives away. Julio of course needs the mob's support and the mob needs a scapegoat but those girls knew Angelise for years.

How did Tusk get Ange's ring back? Last I saw it was in Julio's hand and then next Tusk had it.

That punishment is pretty harsh. Ange and Hilda have to start from square zero.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Those high school girls were [expletive] ghastly -- as bad as Sylphia if not worse. They seemed convinced that Angelise "took" their lives away. Julio of course needs the mob's support and the mob needs a scapegoat but those girls knew Angelise for years.

That was kinda the thing. "She tricked us for years and made us spent time with a norma when we could have been... not spending time with a norma!"

HaruhiToy wrote:
How did Tusk get Ange's ring back? Last I saw it was in Julio's hand and then next Tusk had it.

When Tusk first crashed the party he flew by Julio and took it then.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Blood- wrote:

I agree -- there was really no reason Hilda had to buy the tricked-out apartment and take possession of Chris and Rosalie.

Actually I am a bit disappointed with that pair. I can understand that they had never seen the outside world but I would have thought they might have at least some bit of sympathy for Hilda. More like Vivian has for Ange. Yet it seems that they have severe abandonment issues which would be understandable.

That punishment is pretty harsh. Ange and Hilda have to start from square zero.

I think the interesting thing is Ange and Hilda have found a friendship, so it isn't exactly square zero. You could see they were keeping each other's spirits up.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
I think the interesting thing is Ange and Hilda have found a friendship, so it isn't exactly square zero. You could see they were keeping each other's spirits up.

Soon they'll find a girl of mysterious origin and make her call them mama...
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:44 am Reply with quote
A couple of late-night thoughts.

I was glad to find out that Momoka was spoiler[not intentionally complicit] in Ange's capture. It seemed pretty clear that she was part of the plot but although you might argue she should have known better at least there is one spoiler[mana-capable person that wasn't brainwashed. ]

And it was pretty cool to see the two work together spoiler[on their escape] (Tusk is such a dildo). Ange can spoiler[shatter the mana restraints] on Momoko and Momoko can spoiler[shield them both from projectile weapons.]

But it does bring up an interesting point. The population at large seems to be pretty much universally brainwashed into anti-Norma bigotry. Whether this is done through some application of mana or it is just conventional politics taken to the extreme isn't clear, but this episode showed that the royal family at least isn't brainwashed. They are actually more venal than that.

What I realized is that Julio and Syphilis [sic] know perfectly well that Ange isn't a violent, asocial monster. If they thought that why would they send a fake distress call to her? If Ange was actually like what they say she is she wouldn't have bothered to respond to that. Instead they knew exactly how Ange would react and that was to put herself at risk to protect her sister. If they really thought Ange was evil they would have come up with some other bait, like "we found out how to give you mana powers but you have to get here" or something else that might trigger self interest.

I'm wondering if that will fit in to the rest of the story or become a plot hole.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:23 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
But it does bring up an interesting point. The population at large seems to be pretty much universally brainwashed into anti-Norma bigotry. Whether this is done through some application of mana or it is just conventional politics taken to the extreme isn't clear, but this episode showed that the royal family at least isn't brainwashed. They are actually more venal than that.

Rather than active brainwashing, like I said before it's just normal socialization. If you grow up in a society that tells you X is bad, you're going to grow up thinking X is bad and act appropriately. Add in some mob mentality and voila. No different from how we'd used to burn 'witches' or lynch slaves.

HaruhiToy wrote:
What I realized is that Julio and Syphilis [sic] know perfectly well that Ange isn't a violent, asocial monster. If they thought that why would they send a fake distress call to her? If Ange was actually like what they say she is she wouldn't have bothered to respond to that. Instead they knew exactly how Ange would react and that was to put herself at risk to protect her sister. If they really thought Ange was evil they would have come up with some other bait, like "we found out how to give you mana powers but you have to get here" or something else that might trigger self interest.

I'm wondering if that will fit in to the rest of the story or become a plot hole.

I'd say that's more Julio than Sylphia. Sylphia seemed genuinely pissed about what Ange did to her. I doubt she'd have the sense to stop and think about what Ange actually coming to save her means. People seem to keep forgetting that she's just a child.

We've yet to see how Julio feels about other norma, but I'd assume it's like everyone else. It's just his personal hate of Ange takes priority and solidifying his power base is a bonus.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 28