• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Lord Marksman and Vanadis (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

I think I like the action of this series even if it's spoiler[lightning fast but yet intense. Ellen demonstrates her skills once again as one of the Vanadis. However, I'm also impressed by Tigre's marksmanship too. Easy tos ee why Vanadis became interested in him.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Saw Episode 2, apparently I'm going to be a week behind.

I'm often split when I can read lines and reactions, such as "this is the point where Elen will laugh" or " Titta will shout out her defiance here". On one hand you can call it cliché, on the other, when you set up dominoes to fall, they tend to fall in the direction intended. For now, I'll consider it a positive, combined with how much a badass Tigre is.

"Give me your army, I'll give you my nation." I'm sure she could take Tigre's country with her army without his permission. Furthermore, with Tigre prisoner, she kind of already had it. She probably didn't think it's worth it.

And then there's the spoiler[arrow catch]. Impossible {at least it wasn't aimed at him?}, kind of like leaping off of a balcony just by being ordered to do without any kind of looking. "I'm jumping as he commands, my Lord obviously has the next step in mind."

Officially became part of my watch list because of her; As someone said before, Titta makes a good baseline for what exactly "normal" is in this series, as well as what is "good". Yelling at the big brute with the sword, not a good course of action but it takes a lot of courage to do it.

And that brings up that scene. At least it was unquestionably about power and not sex? But, yeah, the matching bra and panties were a bit out of place, I personally thought she'd be nude.

Err, I mean, "smallclothes", that's... yeah.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
At least it was unquestionably about power and not sex? But, yeah, the matching bra and panties were a bit out of place, I personally thought she'd be nude.

I think they made it pretty clear he had sexual intentions since he deliberately ripped her clothes and the blushing he was doing as his hand creepily moved towards her before he got shot. Wink

Episode 2

A pretty great episode overall. They managed redeem Titta a bit with her ability to spoiler[rally the common folks to help out with the battle plan.] Even so that "I won't lose!" line made me roll my eyes a bit simply because of how out of place it was for the situation. Moe blob alert! Moe blob alert! Razz

I really liked the use of chess pieces to show how the plan was being executed too. It wasn't overused either (which would show a lack of animation budget). Tigre shooting 3 bows at once and scoring perfect hits kind of reminds me of Nobunaga the Fool. It's ridiculous but that's why I love the show Smile

Though it helps Zion was an idiot lower boss character. Seeing Tigre spoiler[take him out was oddly satisfying]...............crap I fell for the Disney villain formula didn't I?

It'll be interesting to see where the series goes from here. It's been getting harder and harder to see Tigre as a prisoner but I do wonder if he willspoiler[ swear his alliance to Viltaria after this.] When you think about if his country simply submits to Viltaria wouldn't that make the issue solved rather easily? Wink
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I think he already agreed to that in the previous episode as a condition of leaving to help.

Did I miss where they got all those horses from?
Enternal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I think he already agreed to that in the previous episode as a condition of leaving to help.

Did I miss where they got all those horses from?

It's not fully explained in the anime but those are spare horses that are used to increase the marching distance since horses do get tired depending on pace and distance that you have to travel.

Since the anime removed it, I think it's probably okay to add this. The reason why Ellen is so interested in Tigre (contrary to this love at first sight that even some people here believed) is:
spoiler[Ellen:“While the soldiers are holding off the enemy, he can shoot and kill the enemy Generals and Commanders. With the right timing, he withdraws. By doing this, even against tens of thousands of troops, he could throw the enemy into disarray. An army without a Commander is like a herd of sheep without a shepherd. It would easily collapse with just a little force.”]
This is pretty much the potential that Ellen saw with Tigre's skills which is why she wants it so much. Even if she's that powerful, it does not mean she can win against numbers. Luckily enough, she got more than just skills as he has potential if you can develop his brains as shown here where he actually thought about using those spare horses as a ruse.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Ah thank you for the explanation Enternal.
It's always nice to have a novel reader pad out the omitted details Very Happy
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Was that info really omitted? The horses were described as spare horses, so that's kinda self explanatory. Elen's interest in Tigre was also clearly layed out as her being impressed by his skills and the balls he showed in challenging her instead of running away.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
But as Enternal pointed out earlier if he did not submit to her she would have spoiler[sold him as a slave] which was omitted in the anime (probably to make her appear a little less cold hearted). A person can have all the skills in the world but if they don't follow you it doesn't really matter now does it?

She made passing comments about being in love with him but I suppose those were most likely just jokes/teasing on her part. I know I was jumping the gun with the love thing..... Embarassed........
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
she said in love with his bow skills, not him as a person
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
But as Enternal pointed out earlier if he did not submit to her she would have spoiler[sold him as a slave] which was omitted in the anime (probably to make her appear a little less cold hearted). A person can have all the skills in the world but if they don't follow you it doesn't really matter now does it?

Well yeah, of course it would have made her look bad. But I don't think it's a necessary detail either. She said that the rules of war stated that if the randsom couldn't be paid he'd officially belong to her. She was trying to get him over to her side by actually treating him nicely.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
she said in love with his bow skills, not him as a person

Your actually right about that. It was convenient for me to mistake that scene at the time Embarassed

Vaisaga wrote:

Well yeah, of course it would have made her look bad. But I don't think it's a necessary detail either. She said that the rules of war stated that if the randsom couldn't be paid he'd officially belong to her. She was trying to get him over to her side by actually treating him nicely.

True but it would have explained what her intentions were with him had he not submitted to her which pads out her personality a bit. I kind of agree it was not essential though.

That's sort of what I've liked about Viltaria she's a good mix of tactically competent when it comes to war affairs like this, knows when to be cruel/harsh, and is cute/funny when she's not fighting (she's not bad to look at either Wink).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

If I saw a huge spoiler[dragon get thrown into the air and split in half], I would be spoiler[pretty terrified]. Still it took them until their spoiler[commander ran away with his tail between his legs and shot down from him dragon for them to finally get the message].

I too like the way they explain the turn of the battle through pieces.
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Aw they spoiler[completely annihilated both dragons I thought those 2 were adorable, 'specially the land one]. Evil Lord Duke Guy (I refuse to actually learn his name) was so pathetic his death affected me less than the dragons. Plus I kinda saw it coming.]. I do wonder how he managed to escape from the completely isolated mansion, alone, with a hand wound, and with people surrounding the mansion, magic I guess.

I actually thought the chess piece battle exposition got intrusive after the 4th time. I know limited budget and all but I would prefer when they actually show these things instead of telling us with diagram. Oh well this villain didn't really warrant an epic battle anyways.

spoiler[using the spare horses to fake an army was a cool tactic] It is a nice juxtaposition between Zchted and Brune. Brune seems to be a very straightforward "crush the opponent with pure overwheming force" type of army while Zchted is much more crafty and willing to resort to various inventive tactics it's nice.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Good episode and we meet two new spoiler[Vanadis (although more were shown in the background). That Ludmila is a bit of an airhead though imo.]

I sense more trouble brewing soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Enternal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
More info about what happened in the 4th episode.
spoiler[Just some quick stuff since it's removed from the anime.

The king of Zhched is the only one in power that is above the Vanadis. He's not bad as a king but he's not skilled either. Basically he does not really have anything the Vanadis really respects about him. Because of that, he's very scared whenever a Vanadis does something like acquire land since acquiring land usually also means becoming more powerful. Usually Vanadis only owns the one land that they are given by the king. What he was trying to basically do is pressure Ellen into giving that land rights to him (which she already planned as such) and he's trying to test to see if Ellen had any other ulterior motives by threatening her.

Although Ludmira does not like Thendardier, Thenardier and her does have a kind of helping relationship between each other. Obviously that means there's no loyalty either from either side...

Also Ludmira is more arrogant compared to the other Vanadis because the weapons have always chosen its master rather than the master choosing the weapon. What's unique about Ludmira is that the weapon has always chose members of her lineage.

What's also skipped is the Territorie chapter that shows how fast Tigre learns from Lim and how quickly he was able to improvise new ideas to win a battle even with limited numbers of soldiers. Also showed how he gained the trust of Zhchted soldiers while at it.

There's some more stuff but those are the quickest points to say.]

Other than that, I'm still rather enjoying the show! But geez, the poison sucking... it's ridiculous but the scene was sensible (the art wasn't as much) but here... wooza, it's a new level of craziness!! Just to say though, poison sucking was an accepted method for an extremely long time so yes yes it's not very effective as you may learn but back then, it's what they know and have done.

Last edited by Enternal on Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8