• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sora no Method (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:11 am Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:

I'm enjoying it, to a certain extent. But there are many other shows in this genre that do what it's trying to do, but so much better. To be completely honest, it's boring. It tries my patience with repetitive dialogue.

Still better than Glasslip that will really try someone's patience.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12:
Weird twist this episode..

It looks like spoiler[Nonoka and Shione are the only ones that remembers Noel. The saucer in the sky is gone too. I bet they are going to try to find Noel soon. Kinda have a weird feeling about the latest episode. It kinda reminds me of that one Glasslip episode from Summer.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

How to ruin a series, make the last episode so spoiler[everything in the series was pointless, all the drama of different characters just reset to another world where those things may not even be important]. Or I would say that if there was not one episode left, one episode to make a satisfying end to what had been pretty good but was getting me worried here.

If I had to make a guess they will probably spoiler[make a wish again by joining hands]. Hopefully that does not lead to later in life spoiler[suddenly waking up to totally different lives].
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13:

Why do I get the feeling that the animators just wanted draw a field of sunflowers? At least they did a pretty good job of it.

The art after the credits was interesting.

So as it wraps up it looks like Nonoka and Shione are going to spoiler[do the grade at school they remember with the saucer around all over again?] Should be pretty easy since they spoiler[already know everything that is going to be on the tests already.]

In this context, what does spoiler[Noel's] closing line even mean? In the present timeline she spoiler[can't say "I'm back" because she was never there in the first place. ]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

So as it wraps up it looks like Nonoka and Shione are going to spoiler[do the grade at school they remember with the saucer around all over again?] Should be pretty easy since they spoiler[already know everything that is going to be on the tests already.]

Not necessarily. Nonoka is in a different class and Shione is at a different school, so it's not like they relive the exact same thing.

I do have to wonder what exactly was the point of resetting the timeline like that. It would have worked all the same had they simply lost their memories of Noel.

Anyways, overall it was a nice little show.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
It was underwhelming imo with the spoiler[predictable ending. I would actually been fine if Noel did not come back and instead if they did just the memories that flashed back or something like 'see ya in the future'.]

One thing I did like about the show though is that spoiler[Shione redeemed herself a bit and I liked her role more in the finale.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
More like Unnecessora Method.

At it's core, it really is a good story but it was really ruined by unnecessary drama, padding, deliberation, wandering around and all around emo angst.

It could have been good if they had treated the show like this...
Nonaka returns and as she discovers her friend's issues and the identity of Noel, THEY DEAL WITH IT! with a minumum of moping, a minimum of people wandering around having episode long intermittent flashbacks. Instead, each arc went on forever as each character ran away from each other repeatedly, figuratively and literally, even when, NO, especially when Nonaka tries to confront them about the problems.
Really, they went through the whole "Let's talk about it / No! Wah! Wah! It's all your fault, I don't want to talk about it!" dynamic about three times per trauma.

Now, even with that, it's wouldn't be perfect. Half of their problems were created BY the wish and it's after effects. And as has been mentioned before, spoiler[resetting their lives was kinda unnecessary and just wiping their memory would have probably been preferable. It's was a case of having their cake and eating it too. Not only do get the memory of living through their traumatizing drama, they also get the benefit of also having a life in which they didn't have to deal with any of it. No sibling rift, Souta's accident never happens, no Shione being a miserable emo chick listening to (I assume) a bunch of Bright Eyes and Death Cab for Cutie on her giant earphones.]

And If the moral really is what was stated by Nonaka's mother...
spoiler["You're going to grow up experiencing many things. Of those things, some of them are going to be sad or painful. But at times like those, especially at times like those, you have to have the biggest smile you can. That way, you can get over anything"]
Doesn't what happen really negate the effect of that message?
Because what actually happened wasspoiler[ that a bunch of sad and painful things happened... and it all got wiped away as a by product of a magical wish.

Everyone's happy and no one had or has to deal with anything bad and even the magical girl who never grows up comes back.]

Impact lost.

This gets a charitable "Not really Good" rating from me.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
It could have been good if they had treated the show like this...
Nonaka returns and as she discovers her friend's issues and the identity of Noel, THEY DEAL WITH IT! with a minumum of moping, a minimum of people wandering around having episode long intermittent flashbacks. Instead, each arc went on forever as each character ran away from each other repeatedly, figuratively and literally, even when, NO, especially when Nonaka tries to confront them about the problems.
Really, they went through the whole "Let's talk about it / No! Wah! Wah! It's all your fault, I don't want to talk about it!" dynamic about three times per trauma.

Why do people keep expecting teenagers to handle things maturely? Laughing
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Teenager's be damned. It makes for horrible story-telling.

It was just plain unnecessary and I could see no evidence to say the dragging out of problems was done in a way to truthfully convey a teenager's immaturity. As far as I could tell it was just cheap dragged out sentiment and a device to clumsily introduce flashbacks piecemeal throughout entire episodes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 13

Well it was not bad, but I am not quite happy with the vehicle of how this ended, with mostly a big reset out of nowhere. If it was hinted at it might have been better. Trying to understand I was kind of coming to the thought that maybe there could never be a UFO, the timeline it was in was merely to have their wishes granted they would learn what was needed when things were real. Like the twins would be able to get along better and not fight as much, and Shione seemed much happier. The UFO was simply never meant to be there that long.

So I was having conflicted opinions on how Noel should be handled, whether she should pop up, and it seemed that that the matter of spoiler[existence had characters almost hearing her]. I admit that I liked towards the end spoiler[when they could hear her voice, we got the special ED of them looking for Noel in space, and an interestingly animated scene]. I do think they might have done a bit more for why they would want to see Noel as much as they did. And I think that the message might have been that even if Nonoka is away from her friends it does not mean they cannot be close. It looked like Shione spoiler[would be joining the high school in the next year, so there was something to look forward to].

For some odd reason I have kept feeling like comparing this to certain other anime, and for the most part I think this was pretty good compared to some that lost itself in just acting artsy angst. Although it did suffer a little bit. I will give it an overall Decent rating.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

And If the moral really is what was stated by Nonaka's mother...
spoiler["You're going to grow up experiencing many things. Of those things, some of them are going to be sad or painful. But at times like those, especially at times like those, you have to have the biggest smile you can. That way, you can get over anything"]
Doesn't what happen really negate the effect of that message?
Because what actually happened wasspoiler[ that a bunch of sad and painful things happened... and it all got wiped away as a by product of a magical wish.

Everyone's happy and no one had or has to deal with anything bad and even the magical girl who never grows up comes back.]

Impact lost.

This gets a charitable "Not really Good" rating from me.

Pretty much agree with this right here. They practically spit on their OWN MESSAGE by having this spoiler[time reversal] stupidity. I nearly flipped a table thinking they had "Inception'd" me but the dicks only did it halfway.

Speaking of the wish did anyone ever try to think about the situation logically? The wish didn't say that if they were together Noel would disappear. It was specific that they would have to all be smiling while watching fireworks together in order for it happen. Hence why Shione didn't go to fireworks display. HOWEVER, did Shione ever think "Hmmm maybe if that particular scenario just never happens Noel won't have to disappear? Think about it. They were together for a decent amount of time before when they were working on their display. Why didn't Noel disappear then? Because the wishes specifics were not met.

Shione could have still stayed with her friends as long as they never watched the fireworks together. It's simple as that. Heck she could have at least tried to talk to Noel and say she didn't want that wish to happen if it ment losing her. But guess what? Nope! I'm just going to be a dick to all my friends making them more miserable than they would have if I just tried to work out the situation together with them.

Being a sacrifice doesn't exactly mean much if you never had to make the sacrifice in the first place. It'd be like if someone jumped in front of the hulk in order to stop him from being shot..........even though he tanks bullets for a living.

To the shows credit it isn't AS dumb as Glasslip. Even so it sure as hell comes close. Not only does it sport the same shitty antsy teenage drama being dragged out for far to long but the entire fantasy portion of the show is pretty much ignored in favor having Shione bitch at everyone for 8 episodes or everyone constantly running away instead of oh...........I don't know..........TALKING TO EACH OTHER!

Seriously where are the scientists testing experiments the saucer? Where is the mystery on Noel's origins? What is it like inside of the saucer? Does Noel have a family back home? Has Noel granted wishes for other people? etc.

I mean seriously you have this neat concept for story with material practically LAID out in front of you yet it never gets used. It's honestly a waste of world building/characterization possibilities.

Even at the end of the show the only character I cared about was Noel because her adorable antics were funny to watch and wasn't constantly dragged down by unnecessary drama all the time. Give the girl her own spinoff and get rid the other degenerates and I'd totally toon in Smile.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:00 am Reply with quote
Ugh, I refuse to accept that episode 13 exists. It looks as if some powerful guys in the production committee were unable to stand bittersweet ending in episode 11 and forced the writer to change the ending. Sad

This is a poor coming-of-age show... really disappointed. Breathtaking visual and beautiful music (OK, Noel too Wink) are its only saving graces.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5