• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yona of the Dawn (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I find the story extremely character driven

I think the issue here is we only have 2 cours to tell a much longer story. We have a lot of questions but there is no way the story can answer them all in that amount of time. That is why I am praying at the end of this season we will get another 2 cour announcement. This series really needs it.

I mean if it doesn't get it I will read the manga but I just really want more of the anime. I feel Shoujo fantasy should never be less than 4 cours.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:40 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Cam0 wrote:
I get the feeling that there's a side to King Il and his reign that we have yet to see. He might have been more cunning than he appeared.

You can't be *too* clever if you die by getting gutted like a fish by a teenager.

That's not fair. It was a surprise attack, and Soo-Won was stronger and presumably more experienced with a sword.
Anybody else wondering how Yona's mother's assassination fits into all this? Who killed her, and why? Maybe Soo-Won's father had something to do with it, and the king had him killed in retribution after he found out?

If that turns out to be the case, the queen's death better have been for political reasons and not romantic ones. Or perhaps the king was the real target, and she was caught in the crossfire, so to speak.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

That's not fair. It was a surprise attack, and Soo-Won was stronger and presumably more experienced with a sword.

It would have been much more difficult for Soo-won to make a coup d'état if the palace guards were loyal, so it is not as if it were impossible to avoid it.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

*If* King Il actually murdered Soo-won's father, then don't you think he would be careful around Soo-won? Wouldn't he have someone keeping an eye on Soo-won, *especially* while he was at the palace? The lack of cleverness would be in allowing Soo-won to get anywhere close to him. In fact, the lack of serious precautions by the King implies to me that the King *didn't* murder anyone. If you murder someone, that fact isn't something you're going to forget about, especially the repercussions of doing that. And if the son of someone you murdered is still around, you'll keep an eye on him just as a precaution -- I certainly would, and anyone with any sort of cleverness would as well, IMO.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

*If* King Il actually murdered Soo-won's father, then don't you think he would be careful around Soo-won? Wouldn't he have someone keeping an eye on Soo-won, *especially* while he was at the palace?

Not necessarily. I can think of a few reasons why King Il would actually let Soo-won kill him. Maybe he was as naive as he was cunning. Maybe I'm wrong and he was not cunning at all. Just the feeling I got out of King Il was that he was a bit more than just a naive man who hates war and violence. We never saw the moment Soo-won assaulted his quarters and shoved a sword through his chest and I think that might have been done on purpose to hide something.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:16 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

*If* King Il actually murdered Soo-won's father, then don't you think he would be careful around Soo-won? Wouldn't he have someone keeping an eye on Soo-won, *especially* while he was at the palace? The lack of cleverness would be in allowing Soo-won to get anywhere close to him. In fact, the lack of serious precautions by the King implies to me that the King *didn't* murder anyone. If you murder someone, that fact isn't something you're going to forget about, especially the repercussions of doing that. And if the son of someone you murdered is still around, you'll keep an eye on him just as a precaution -- I certainly would, and anyone with any sort of cleverness would as well, IMO.

Soo-won might have been hidden somewhere when King Il murdered his brother and King Il didn’t realise it, so King Il would have had no reason to be overly cautious in his presence. After all, he might have thought that no one would ever suspect such a peace-loving person who hates weapons to murder his own brother.

And it would not be the first story where someone who appears harmless turns out to be the villain. Does anyone remember Quirrell from the first Harry Potter book?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Indeed, who would suspect p-p-p-poor stuttering P-Professor Quirrel!?
lys

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Ep 16: Ugh, everyone is just TOO COOL!! Yuno is precious and Geun-tae is awesome and Su-won, how dare you be so perfect?! I'm sorry if it's a betrayal but I was grinning like a fool the whole episode. Ahhhh~

The preview was good to see too, though. I've enjoyed the peek at "elsewhere in the kingdom" these last two weeks but I'm ready to return to the main cast next time!

(ps: I got the latest edition of The Hana to Yume yesterday in the mail (cdjapan ran out of stock before it even came out so I made my first ever Amazon JP order!) and good gracious the Hak-Yona short bonus story it contained was so cute I could scream. (I'm sure it'll be included in a collected volume eventually too, but I couldn't wait!) The issue also came with a little booklet with character info, prototype sketches, and some colour illustrations from the series. Kentarou Miura's illustrations were included too!!)
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 16:

Well that was fun, spoiler[more than I had expected anyways. No doubt that Soo-Won was holding back considering the way he fought at the arena but overall was still fun. The ending felt underwhelming but was rather silly.]

Anyways, we'll be back with the usual adventures soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched these last two episodes yet. I've already read their corresponding chapters in the manga so I know what happens. I don't dislike Su-won, but neither do I care for him. He's the third wheel in the trio that I wouldn't mind not having arcs dedicated to. At least this one's short. I recognize the episodes' importance at establishing his role and developing the character, but I don't have a strong desire to watch them. I'd rather wait until we're back to Yona and the group and then chug through those eppies so that I can end on a good note.

@lys - I am jealous.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm ashamed to admit that the 2nd opening is already starting to grow on me.

I liked this episode. It was obvious that spoiler[Soo-won had some ulterior motives, but he is quite cunning it seems]. I like Geun-tae and his wife. Geun-tae is now one of my favourite characters.

@willag I disagree. I'm hoping that we get to see more Soo-won before the show ends. I'm really interested in seeing how he is going to lead the country.

And lol. Squirrel Soo-won. Could be a good avatar.

Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:

(ps: I got the latest edition of The Hana to Yume yesterday in the mail (cdjapan ran out of stock before it even came out so I made my first ever Amazon JP order!) and good gracious the Hak-Yona short bonus story it contained was so cute I could scream. (I'm sure it'll be included in a collected volume eventually too, but I couldn't wait!) The issue also came with a little booklet with character info, prototype sketches, and some colour illustrations from the series. Kentarou Miura's illustrations were included too!!)

I just ordered this from CD Japan yesterday (I love CD Japan because they always have things later than everyone else).

Anyways I am sort of with Willag. While I am definitely very interested in Soo Won and I appreciate learning more about his character I really missed Yona's group in this episode, my affection lies with them. The preview definitely got me excited for next week though.
lys

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
lys wrote:

I just ordered this from CD Japan yesterday (I love CD Japan because they always have things later than everyone else).

Oh, that's weird!! I'd seen it listed on CDJ first but then checked a few days before its release and it was listed as unavailable... so I panicked and went with Amazon instead. Probably cost me a couple dollars more but I didn't have to wait CDJ's two weeks for shipping, so I'll take it :) Enjoy your copy when it comes!!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I'm ashamed to admit that the 2nd opening is already starting to grow on me.

Haha, I told you it was awesome :'D

Geun-Tea has a very cute waifu......but I was quite bored through this entire thing. I just don't like eps like this. Too much like sports. :p

Next one is going to be great though.

spoiler[ENTER THE GREEN DRAGON!!]
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I do think he's intriguing and I'm interested in seeing how he runs the country... but I prefer reading it in manga form, because I'm able to absorb it at my own pace versus what the anime gives me. I was able to get through the chapters in the manga in about 10 minutes. It was intriguing, and I liked seeing how crafty and innovative Su-won was, but nothing of great issue happened that I'd really want to see again. With the anime, I now get treated to 30 minutes of it, and I have to wait an additional week to get back to where most of my interests lie. Soooo... meh.

Looking forward to next week at least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 30