• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Autumn 2014 - What Are You Interested In?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
willag wrote:
Yeah, that sounds like my situation as well. I've gone weeks without seeing a single episode.

Well see, now I feel guilty for watching ninety plus episodes per week.

Dude, don't feel guilty, I'm not jealous at all. Even on my best weeks I couldn't imagine watching so many episodes of so many shows. I would easily burn myself out.

Yes, I prefer binge-watching to weekly watching, but that's only considering one show at a time. If I'm that invested in a show, then yeah I want to watch it all ASAP.

I've mentioned this recently in the community forums, but I'm more someone who's invested in the fandom. I prefer to sit and ruminate on the shows instead of immediately moving on to the next thing. I like to consider the what-ifs and play in the worlds more. This isn't true for every anime I watch, but it's often my style of doing things.

When I say that 4 shows a season is good for me, I mean it. At this point, I have accumulated a long, long list of shows I'm interested in seeing (eventually, some day, maybe). And at my rate of watching (which has been a lot slower this year compared to previously CR-era years), it's only going to grow. I don't lack for entertainment.

I've been into this for 16+ years. I came in at a time (late 90s) when selections were a lot more limited to me because: (1) I had limited finances, which meant (2) I was mostly limited to what was showing on Toonami; and (3) I did not have my own personal computer and didn't know about fansubs. I got into fansubs in mid-2000s and had anime clubs and friends who were interested in anime as well, so that increased my watch load some. But it wasn't until 2009 when I graduated and got a full-time job that my watch load really increased.

I remember making a big hooplah in the AnimeNation forums in late 2009 as to which anime should be my 100th one completed. I decided on Kino's Journey (I had been keeping a MAL list since 2008... of course, I have since remembered other anime I watched prior to 2008, so KJ didn't end up being my 100th), which was completed in January 2010. I am now up to 256 completed on MAL. It took over 10 years to watch the first 100. It took only 3 more years to watch the next 100.

Crunchyroll and getting a job has completely changed my circumstances. Now I have more options than I could possibly ever finish. Not if I didn't want to burn myself out. I've been going through a bit of a burnout this year. So I'm just handling it as it comes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
dtm42, where do you work? I would love to have as much free time as you do. Shocked

It's not about how much free time you have, it is about how careful you are at using it. Given that I am a horrific procrastinator*, this is a lesson I've learned the hard way.

I'm fond of the rather old joke which goes that if I won a prize for procrastination I wouldn't even turn up to collect it.

willag wrote:
I like to consider the what-ifs and play in the worlds more. This isn't true for every anime I watch, but it's often my style of doing things.

Oh, I absolutely do that too. Not every show I watch, mind you, or even half of them. I watch a tonne of pleasant but ultimately throwaway series that might entertain me for five hours (the length of a one-cour series) but not really impact my life in any meaningful way. That said, when I meet something with a bit more meat or that piques my curiosity and sense of amazement, I do get interested. I like to lose myself in a fictional world for a few days (or longer) at a time and wonder what it would be like to live there as one of the characters, or how the themes and aesops would apply to the society. I'm a habitual daydreamer. It's amazing I can even watch anime in the first place.

willag wrote:
Now I have more options than I could possibly ever finish. Not if I didn't want to burn myself out. I've been going through a bit of a burnout this year. So I'm just handling it as it comes.

The amount of anime available for consumption right now is astronomical, that much is true. We have access to a staggering and frankly impossible-to-defeat back-catalogue of shows, plus all the new stuff coming out. The number of titles starting in autumn 2014 is ridiculous; I count forty-one.

Anyway, I get burnout several times a year, in which I'll struggle to watch a "mere" twenty episodes a week (yeah, my definition of burnout is different than most people's). But I do get more serious cases. My viewing records tell me that I had didn't watch anything - at all - for a fortnight back in June. That was a bad one.

This is just my two cents, but in my experience the key to burnout is to have it often and get over it fast each time. This applies whether you normally watch one episode a week or one-hundred. As long as you get back to your usual rhythm quickly (no matter what that rhythm may be), it shouldn't affect you too much. I don't dread burnout in itself; what I do dread is burnout going on for so long it becomes a malaise. That's when the burnout is no longer a tiredness thing but rather a psychological thing.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:36 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I'm a habitual daydreamer. It's amazing I can even watch anime in the first place.

Oh man, me as well.

dtm42 wrote:
That's when the burnout is no longer a tiredness thing but rather a psychological thing.

Yeah, there's that going on as well. I started going on antidepressants at the beginning of the year after a really rough December last year. I am dreading winter coming around again.

This summer I was more off my medication than on (once the cold weather went away, it didn't feel as necessary to stay on them), which I didn't help the situation. I've had 2 months dry time, with a few episodes here or there, between mid-July and today when I finished up Mushishi Zoku Shou.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:51 am Reply with quote
The two I am most looking forward to are Mushishi because it is Mushishi and Akatsuki no Yona because it's been awhile since we had an epic shoujo fantasy (I hope it delivers).

I also will be checking out Fate Stay Night.

Psycho Pass I am on the fence about because unlike most people here I felt the first season was a huge disappointment but I am curious to see what happens next.

Anyways about the amount of anime you consume I find the seasons I consume less I end up enjoying more. Maybe because I end up being more picky in those seasons and I only watch stuff I really love all the way through and I don't start getting bored in the middle of the season.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
I've been in an 'anime malaise' this year.

Yeah, that sounds like my situation as well. I've gone weeks without seeing a single episode. I'm not gonna push against it though. The mood will hit me when it hits me.

If not for Space Dandy, I probably would have gone most weeks without watching anything. I think that it's a consequence of a bitches brew of things. Part of it is that I'm getting older and even though I know better, I can't but have a little anxiety over the fact that I devote so much time and attention to cartoons. (I've always been hung up about 'acting my age', I set a deadline to stop tricking treating after I turned twelve when I was ten; followed through on it too) I also think that I'm suffering a lack of fulfillment or purpose from watching anime from not being sure how I can or should engage it to make it meaningful. The last likely problem is that the sheer volume of productions now is both creating a 'menu problem' wherein the profusion of options makes choosing a frustrating, exhausting experience and encouraging, if not requiring, a kind of selectivity that is making me reconsider the whole idea of 'anime fan' as a thing.

willag wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
In addition to those people, I too have said good things about it! YOu might be encouraged to know, presuming that you are not already aware, that the series is adapted from novels by Ichirō Sakaki, who also wrote the Scrapped Princess novels. I know that you like that series and Chaika the Coffin Princess has some thematic and stylistic similarities.

Dude, who said you weren't on that list? Then again, it's probably best to assume you aren't. *cough*gurrenlagann*cough* Wink

Also, thanks for mentioning that the thing about author. I probably read that somewhere, which is what peaked my interest in the series, but forgot all about it. You've just spurned my interest again.

Damn, and here I'd hoped to pique your interest and spur you on the watching it. Oh well, I guess you've having the malaproper response. (And if you want revenge for Gurren Lagann, break my heart by hating Noir)

Seriously, however, I do expect that you would enjoy watching the show. Chaika, in particular, might appeal to you, because despite having traits that might make her an awful character, namely the loli is a speech tick bit, her affectations never overwhelm her and she's an active, important character whose sense of purpose directs the story and whose magic is usually essential to any of her party's efforts. There's also Akari, who wails on things with a melon-farming bigass hammer. (An incest angle between she and her brother is mercifully mostly downplayed by the anime) You might prefer to wait until the second season has finished to see if it falls apart, but do keep this one in mind.

And I owe some credit to you for bringin Akatsuki no Yona to my attention. As I hadn't been looking, I wasn't aware of it, but your hopeful, but wary interest in it is just about the same as my feelings. (Perhaps with an addendum that the seemingly otherwise predominantly male cast makes me worry that it could have 'reverse harem' themes that I would find tedious.)

willag wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
I'm a habitual daydreamer. It's amazing I can even watch anime in the first place.

Oh man, me as well.

My undisciplined mind has pretty bad wanderlust and goes of on tangents at the drop of a hat. I mean that literally; if I watch an anime and some character drops a hat, I'll probably suddenly start thinking about hats, which could end up with me thinking about anything from beavers to parliamentary procedure.

willag wrote:
I started going on antidepressants at the beginning of the year after a really rough December last year. I am dreading winter coming around again.

This summer I was more off my medication than on (once the cold weather went away, it didn't feel as necessary to stay on them), which I didn't help the situation. I've had 2 months dry time, with a few episodes here or there, between mid-July and today when I finished up Mushishi Zoku Shou.

I imagine that depression has inspired my own malaise too, which is a little ironic given that part of why I resumed watching anime three years ago was to find a refuge from a particularly long, deep happiness drought.

Your cases sounds, not that you need me to tell you this, like seasonal affective disorder. (Why does nobody ever make anything of the fact that the acronym for that would be SAD?) Well, if you find yourself in need of a shoulder to cry on, ear to yell in or face to punch, I'm here for you. In fact, for that last one I'd even pay your airfare to come do it, but only if you promise to hit really hard; maybe start lifting weights a little in preparation...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3