• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Autumn 2014 - What Are You Interested In?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
So autumn 2014 is just two weeks away. I thought someone had already made a thread but apparently not (unless I'm blind). So as usual, here are some links:

Neregate

AniChart

The Cart Driver

Random Curiosity

In the interests of not making this post too long I'll just list the ones I'm most interested in.

Log Horizon 2 - I loved the first season, in fact I just rewatched it with a mate and we devoured it in two days. It was even better than I had remembered it. I'm apprehensive about the second season - will it keep up the quality? - but I'm still amped for it.

Terra Formars - hah, martian cockroaches that take over the planet. It's a premise too cool to pass up on.

Psycho Pass 2 - another sequel, and worryingly it isn't written by Urobuchi. But the guy who is writing it is Tow Ubukata, who wrote Mardock Scramble and Le Chevalier D'Eon. So at the very least he does have a proven track record, and I think his style will be compatible with the show's established tone. But I'm mainly excited to see Akane act all badarse again.

Donten ni Warau - I don't know about the plot, but man it has some sweet art.

Akatsuki no Yona - looks like a high fantasy type series, perhaps not an original one (story is as old as cheese) but could be good.

Last edited by dtm42 on Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:48 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Akatsuki no Yona - looks like a high fantasy type series, perhaps not an original one (story is as old as cheese) but could be good.

It attracted me; now I have found out it's shoujo; well, that seals the deal :}

I will probably follow Fate/Stay Night remake and the Miyazaki TV series as well. Shirobako is a definite; it's about adult women making anime...OKAY, YES.

....................MIYAZAKI IS DOING A TV SERIES!?
Shocked
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:13 am Reply with quote
FYI, for anyone interested in the upcoming season, I really recommend The Cart Driver's season preview. It's really rigorous and takes into account everything from studio to staff to source material. Very informative. Anyway...

Great Prospects:

Mushishi
-Haven't actually gotten to season #2 pt 1 yet. Probably just gonna wait for the whole thing to come out in North America. Still, eventually I'm tremendously excited for more of this show. I've heard the second season holds up just as well as season #1.

Parasyte
-Heard great things about the manga. Nothing else really screams impressive but so long as we get a competent adaptation that will probably be sufficient.

Psycho-Pass 2
-I'm sorta resolved to the fact that this probably won't be as good as season #1 without Urobuchi. That said, I see no reason to expect it to be bad either. If it's even half as good as season #1 then it will still be quite enjoyable.

Good Prospects:

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works
-Previous Fate shows have been pretty good if also not great. This one will probably be pretty okay at least. My understanding is that this path focuses heavily on Rin and Archer who were my favorite part of the original Stay Night anime so that bodes well.

Decent Prospects:

Terra Formars
-There's some pretty dubious racial issues behind this show. But that's fine. One can still like things while acknowledging that they are problematic. And hopefully this will be a decently fun if also schlocky show.

Rage of Bahamut Genesis
-Fairly generic fantasy by the look of it. Still, no real major red flags. Mappa is an interesting studio. At least worth a look.

Possible Prospects:

Garo: Honoo no Kokuin
-Anything in the supersuit genre is usually a red flag for me. Still, I like the writer, the studio and the art style so there is some potential there.

Gundam Reconguista in G
-I don't know how involved Tomino will be here. Then again, I don't really know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Same for the Gundam name. It's hopefully a sign that this will be a bit more traditional and less otaku-bait than a lot of modern mecha. But at the same time, I don't even know when the last time I enjoyed a Gundam show was. Ages ago. Still, at least worth a look.

(The) Seven Deadly Sins
-As a rule, I ignore shounen anime but this one has some pretty respectable talent behind it. A solid writer and director plus a good music guy. And I even kinda like the art style. Can it overcome the weaknesses that seem almost inherent to this kind of source material? I don't know. But I'd at least like to find out.

Wild Cards:

World Trigger
-Eh, don't mind the art style. That's...something.

Akatsuki no Yona
-Yeah, bishounen shows tend to be terrible but this one actually looks sorta decent.

Laughing Under the Clouds
-One for my "Thing I'll ignore because there's a mountain of these shows and most are crap" pile. Will keep an eye open in case I hear this is different.

Ronia the Robber’s Daughter
-This would actually be a mid-range prospect if it weren't CG. I'm basically of the opinion that you just cannot pull off 3D CG on an anime TV budget at this point. It's simply unwatchable. Might at least check it out at some point though.

April is Your Lie
-Here's the thing. A brightly colored, teen angsty slice of life/melodrama, even if executed quite well because it is noitaminA, is still a brightly colored, teen angsty slice of life/melodrama. Unless I hear this is just amazing it simply isn't a thing I'm very interested in.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:10 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Akatsuki no Yona
-Yeah, reverse harem shows tend to be terrible

Fixed that for you... Rolling Eyes

Akatsuki No Yona is not based on a girls' dating sim where the only important thing is the pretty men, for one. It is a manga. And please don't call dating sims "bishounen shows" because you're insulting every anime that has a bishounen in it which is like.....9/10 anime these days.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:16 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Akatsuki No Yona is not based on a girls' dating sim where the only important thing is the pretty men, for one. It is a manga. And please don't call dating sims "bishounen shows" because you're insulting every anime that has a bishounen in it which is like.....9/10 anime these days.

Okay, two things:

#1) I didn't say it was based on a girls dating sim. Nobody used that term before you. I said it was a bishounen show.

#2) I didn't call dating sims "bishounen shows" either. As you just bloody said, it isn't based on a girls dating sim.

So in summation, you've inexplicably dragged dating sims into this discussion despite me never using that term and us both agreeing that it doesn't apply to Akatsuki No Yona. It's pretty mind boggling.

Also, every anime that has a bishounen is not a bishounen show. Not every show that has an action scene is an action show. Not every show with a joke is a comedy. And while reverse harem is also an appropriate (even marginally more specific) term, "bishounen show" also works just fine here too. So please, the next time you feel like being pedantic, try to at least be technically correct.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:23 am Reply with quote
Let's see:

-Fate/ Unlimited Blade Works- One of my most anticipated titles of the season, being a Fate fan and all. I was quite disappointed with Deen turning UBW into a compilated film adaptation of the route (and still worry for this with Ufotable's upcoming adaptation of Heaven's Feel) and look forward to seeing how UBW is adapted.

-Seven Deadly Sins- I've been hearing of the hype surrounding the manga series for this and the premise seems fairly interesting on paper. Willing to give it a look.

-Magic Kaito- I heard of Kaito Kid's origins from reading and watching bits of scenes from Detective Conan with the thief being a rival to series lead Shinichi Kudo. Was sort of interested in the magician thief, so willing to see what this spinoff has to offer.

-World Trigger- Premise has my interest, though I'm not sure if I'll stay latched on to it for long. Mostly sticking to it on a whim.

-Psycho-Pass 2- Another anticipated series I'm looking forward to this season. I liked the first season of the series with what it offered with its dystopia future and look forward to seeing what more the series has to offer.

-Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso- Interesting premise that seems like it's gonna be a romance title with what it offers up. Ao Haru Ride has been a decent romance title for being a shoujo romance title, so looking forward to this one.

Kiseijuu- A horror title for Fall revolving around parasites? I'll sign up.

Akatsuki no Yona- The setup has the possible problem of turning itself into a reverse harem series. But at the same time, I'm a sap for feudal era action titles. I'll give this a peek to see what it has to offer.

Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji- Appears to be another rom-com revolving around quirky chemistry between a male and female lead with possible interest with one another. Will give it a look.

Trinity Seven- A title I've decided to check out on a whim, though I'm likely looking at a title that's gonna be an ongoing harem title.

Inou-Battle- Not a big fan of high school comedies mostly due to how oversaturated the genre is, but the premise of this involving teens with superpowers expecting some sort of world crisis to milk their powers with looks like it could be a unique one if utilized properly. Will check it out.

Gundam G no Reconguista- Been a big fan of many titles in the Gundam franchise, so willing to give this a shot.

Sanzoku no Musume Ronja- Feudal era adventure series directed by Goro Miyazaki? Definitely interested in seeing what this has to offer.

Garo- Dark medieval action title involving demons? Sign me up.

Mushishi Zoku-Sho- My third most anticipated title this season and continuing from the first half of the series that aired back in the spring. Greatly looking forward to seeing more of Mushishi. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:31 am Reply with quote
Fate Stay night
Fan of the source material and very interested to see how they manage to bloat this to 24 episodes. That this is an adaptation of my favorite route doesn't hurt.

Log Horizon
I dismissed it in the first 5 minutes based on the concept, but later watched it due to word of mouth. Can't sing praises to it, but still think it's good entertainment, so I'm quite sure I won't drop this unless quality goes into gutter.

That's all for things I know I will watch past the first episodes.

Gundam
Just want to see if Tomino is as crazy as ever. If he is, this might be fun.

I'll check out all the non-BL/magical girl fantasy/sci-fi shows, but they almost always sound so generic that I can't say how many I might end up watching.

Grisai no Kajitsu
To see how bad they're going to butcher it. The game was good for the banter and I'm not sure it'll have the same impact from the 3rd person perspective. Also boobs.
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:46 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
FYI, for anyone interested in the upcoming season, I really recommend The Cart Driver's season preview. It's really rigorous and takes into account everything from studio to staff to source material. Very informative.

No offense mate, but my left butt-cheek is more informed than Cart Driver is. Reading his season preview guide has become sort of a tradition for me, but he always makes big mistakes.

Mushishi: This has become self-explanatory at this point, but it is worth mentioning how my favorite chapter from manga is finally getting adapted.

Log Horizon 2: Despite it's flaws I found the first season to be loads of fun and I am looking forward to more.

Parasyte:The manga is classic, but the involvement of rookie director and Shoji Yonemura softens my enthusiasm. That said, the trailer looked fantastic and because Tadashi Hiramatsu is AD for first episode we at least know that the premier will look great. Just please keep the anime original material to minimum.

Psycho Pass 2: What worries me the most is that the we have heard barely anything about the new season. So I think we should expect atrocious visuals and rushed script, but we have had shows that were produced in those conditions and were still good. We will wait and see.

Terra Formars: The OVA prequel was no good, it is sad to see how Hiroshi Hamasaki has become such a boring director, splattering his gimmicks insensitively all over the place. Perhaps I will watch this show so I don't feel like a social outcast at anime circles.

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works: The staff has already said how the focus will now bigger on hand drawn animation rather than digital animation like it was in Fate/Zero. This will most likely mean that the big action scenes will be more visually impressive and better choreographed. ufotable is an interesting studio, they always promote a lot young people to director's seat whenever there is a new new project. Takashi Suhara, who is a very talented young director, will now be serving as right hand man to Takahiro Miura. The writing probably won't be good but hey there is slight chance.

Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis: Satou is fine director and Keichi Hasegawa is a very skilled and atypical tokusatsu writer. But I am primarily going to stick with this one because of the beautiful effects animation.

Garo: Honoo no Kokuin: Despite the the bad CG, everything else on this show seems fine enough. I don't know much about director since he is very young, but Kobayashi is veteran when it comes to tokusatsu so I will put my faith into her.

Seven Deadly Sins: The staff is excellent and the source material is fun. It is nothing that will rock my world, but I am suspecting I will have good time watching this.

Gundam Reconguista in G: Ahh, old man Tomino is making a new anime again. He is already on record for hating men, modern voice actors and Syd Mead's mecha designs.His retro directing style feels outdated but oddly charming and earnest. Seeing how they also kidnapped every mecha animator in existence I am expecting that the show will look pretty great. First half of episode 1 was pretty good, I can't wait for more.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso: The director working on this show is pretty interesting, episode 7 of Amagami SS+ was well directed and I am expecting to see more of that here. The PV looked fantastic and it seems like Kouno Megumi will be heavily involved with this project, sure the writing seems very melodramatic but with the right cinematography even the most melodramatic emotions can seem relatable.

Amagi Brilliant Park : The PV looked generic, but Takemoto is brilliant and he might somehow make this work.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:27 am Reply with quote
I forgot that Knights of Sidonia 2 was airing. That should be pretty cool.

danilo07 wrote:
No offense mate, but my left butt-cheek is more informed than Cart Driver is. Reading his season preview guide has become sort of a tradition for me, but he always makes big mistakes.

He doesn't really know much about what is good or not, often disparaging (or even outright ignoring) good shows because they aren't in a genre he likes. We're all guilty of this to some degree but he is a particularly bad offender and seems to be getting even worse over time. That said he is entertaining to read and does mention almost all of a season' titles so that's why I added him to the opening post.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:41 am Reply with quote
Barring sequels and remakes as "things to be interested in", there's:

Amagi Brilliant Park. I still think it's going to be a nostalgia trip, a bittersweet memory as empty and silent amusement parks are depressing places. Or loud and obnoxious with its "special" characters, it could go either way but still looking good while doing so.

Shigatsu Wa Kimi No Uso. A-1 Pictures? Quiet slice of life romance? It's the small things I love.

Sora no Method. Anime original. Cool, selling a show based on an idea rather than the other way around.

I will probably watch Log Horizon: Over the Horizon but I'm incapable of being interested in it as I already know it's still going to be a non-starter of a continuing story without explaining or solving the premise. As for Unlimited Blade Works, as someone said earlier, the only point of interest is in how they'll bloat a known story to 24 episodes while retreading the ground of both the original series and the movie adaptation. Psycho-pass 2... I'd watch it for Akane but the sequel's more likely going to be geared towards Kogami because "fans" trumps story.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:44 am Reply with quote
Stuffs I'm rilly, rilly looking forward to (in alphabetical order):

Amagi Brilliant Park - I am a helpless little KyoAni bitch. They can't make me give a shit about Free! but I like the looks of this. Setting a show in an amusement park is an interesting arena.

Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works - I like the F/_ franchise and I love ufotable's various adaptations so I'm pretty jazzed about this.

Hitsugi no Chaika: Avenging Battle - I enjoyed the first season of Chaika - The Coffin Princess so I have hopes for this one, too.

I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying - I am absolutely thrilled that somebody is making a comedy that doesn't involve schoolkids. That is reason enough for me to check it out. Hope it is actually funny.

Parasyte - I'm a little dubious about a serious take on a premise involving a schoolboy developing a "grudging friendship" with an alien parasite growing in his hand, but ... this is Madhouse, so...

Ronia the Robber’s Daughter - a TV series by Studio Ghibli? Yes, please. I'm not as freaked out by 3D CGI characters as some people so I should be able to handle this.

Selector Spread WIXOSS - the first season of this frustrated me in certain ways, but overall I dug it, so I'm not exactly crying in my beer about a second helping.

I still haven't seen the all of the first seasons of Psycho-Pass or Log Horizon so I won't be checking out their sequels yet. I'll peek in on virtually everything - I'm glad to see there is a bunch of narrative-driven shows as opposed to SoL comedies because I find myself becoming more attracted to the former. There are great examples of the latter, but I find most of them start to peter out and become gag retread machines.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
lets see here:

Aikatsu! 3: Cant really explain why I like it, I just do
Ai Tenchi Myuo: It's only 5 min, but more Tenchi
Amagi Brilliant Park: I like most of what KyoAni does, and the theme park setting is interesting
Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai looks like a typical Visual Novel adaption, but I'll at least take a look at it
Danna ga Nani wo Itteru ka Wakaranai Ken this looks hilarious
Donten ni Warau: I've enjoyed nearly everything Dogakobo has made and I doubt I will be disappointed here.
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works: I like this franchise a lot. I'm really looking forward to this
Girlfriend (Kari): I really wanna see how they'll handle over 100 girls
Grisaia no Kajitsu: Another visual novel adaptation, but I've heard good things about the game, so I'll take a look at it
Gugure! Kokkuri-san Looks adorable, so definitely watching
Hi☆sCoool! SeHa Girl: anthropomorphized gaming consoles. Neptunia wasn't too bad, and its a short 5ish minutes so I'll watch
Hitsugi no Chaika: Avenging Battle: liked the first season
Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de: superpowers, but nothing to use them on. sounds fun
Log Horizon 2nd Series: loved the first, so this is a definite watch.
Mushishi Zoku Shou 2: love this show
Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu.:this sounds ridiculous, but it has my attention. gonna try it
Parasyte: I've heard a lot of great things about this, so I'll try it
Psycho-Pass 2: another show I'm greatly looking forward to
Ronia the Robber’s Daughter: A Ghibli TV anime. should be interesting
Shirobako: An anime about making anime. This should be interesting
World Trigger: premise has my interest
Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru: no real reason. just interests me

ok, so that's 22 shows so far, 2 of them shorts. Add 6 carryovers, and that's a total of 28, 3 of them shorts, for Fall. that's about average, might look at a few more
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
To be honest, the preview guides I have been looking at didn't show a whole lot that interested me. I am very doubtful that Autumn 2014 is going to be close to as good as Summer 2014. That being said, I will be watching:

Log Horizon 2
Chaika 2
Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de
Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru

Also, there are two wildcards that I will at least check out. Both seem like they will be very goofy, so I am expecting a decent chance of one or both of them being dropped if it does not positively surprise me:

Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu - Not quite a magical boy show, but probably about as close as any show will get anytime soon ;0 So, it intrigues me.

Orenchi no Furo Jijou - the whole "merman moves into my bathtub" premise sounds totally crazy, but maybe it will be entertaining. I could also see this as being terrible though if the merman character is the usual jerky bishounen character with a heart of gold. We shall see
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

Okay, two things:

#1) I didn't say it was based on a girls dating sim. Nobody used that term before you. I said it was a bishounen show.

#2) I didn't call dating sims "bishounen shows" either. As you just bloody said, it isn't based on a girls dating sim.

So in summation, you've inexplicably dragged dating sims into this discussion despite me never using that term and us both agreeing that it doesn't apply to Akatsuki No Yona. It's pretty mind boggling.

Also, every anime that has a bishounen is not a bishounen show. Not every show that has an action scene is an action show. Not every show with a joke is a comedy. And while reverse harem is also an appropriate (even marginally more specific) term, "bishounen show" also works just fine here too. So please, the next time you feel like being pedantic, try to at least be technically correct.

Lol what? Why are you freaking out on me? I'm not being pedantic.

What's your definition of "bishounen show" then? I think the majority of people regard shows like Ouran High School Host Club, Kami-sama Hajimemashita, Fruits Basket, and Free! as "bishounen shows" and also hold them with rather high regard at that?

I really wasn't accusing you of calling Akatsuki a dating sim anime but when you said "bishounen shows tend to be terrible" I meant "um...only ones that are based on dating sims are."

I can't think of any manga-based ones that are "terrible". But if you can, do share?
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I will definitely have a look at Kiseijuu, and also Mushishi, and the studio Ghibli production...
Maybe Garo: Honoo no Kokuin if I have more time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3