• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy Heads to PC via Steam

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishmoose

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:59 am Reply with quote
AkatsukiBuzai wrote:
I think Steam has fooled you all...

http://puu.sh/bF6e5/8cdee607cf.png

No. Languages listed in the sidebar do not represent what you actually get. Take Bioshock Infinite for example. You'll see Japanese audio in the sidebar, but if you try finding it in your western version you'll be disappointed.

Edit: Apparently Bioshock was not the best example, because there are ways of tricking the game into playing Japanese audio. Still, it is not a setting officially presented in the game. Look around on Steam and you'll quickly find other games that list languages which are not available to you.

Bottom line is, don't get your hopes up. I don't see why Steam would go out of their way to put up warning texts on the FFXIII page if Japanese audio really was to be included in western releases.

Last edited by Fishmoose on Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:19 am; edited 1 time in total
AkatsukiBuzai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
No. Languages listed in the sidebar do not represent what you actually get. Take Bioshock Infinite for example. You'll see Japanese audio in the sidebar, but if you try finding it in your western version you'll be disappointed.

Ah I never knew of this, rather deceitful of Steam to just outright lie to you. If they state it has Japanese language then it should for everyone not just the Japanese. Oh well, all we can do is hope Japanese language is an option or someone after release mods in the Japanese.
Lusbox

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:41 am Reply with quote
Nice, always wanted to try these but got rid of my console years ago. Can't complain at that price tag either.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:12 am Reply with quote
As usual, I won't buy any Final Fantasy game without the option for original audio, so I'll just wait for someone to release fan patch for it, and just get myself whole pirated version from torrent.

I don't mind paying full price for games that have option of choosing language, so there's no way am I going to waste my money on a butchered product, and support it, thank you very much.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:56 am Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:
As usual, I won't buy any Final Fantasy game without the option for original audio, so I'll just wait for someone to release fan patch for it, and just get myself whole pirated version from torrent.

I don't mind paying full price for games that have option of choosing language, so there's no way am I going to waste my money on a butchered product, and support it, thank you very much.

Weaboo much?
Julliant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:15 am Reply with quote
Leland Lee wrote:
Psajdak wrote:

Weaboo much?

What's wrong with that? Anyone holds the art in higher regard will always want the original audio as opposed to a dub. I will watch a French show in French (Wakfu), a Bollywood movie in Tamil/Hindi, a Japanese game/anime in Japanese, and a Hollywood movie in English, because that was language the script was written in. When a writer pens a script, he does so in his or her own language, and it carries a lot of nuances, subtleties, and references to culture, plus different languages have different means of expression.

If people go for dubs, that's their prerogative, but there is a reason why people want the original audio.
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Leland Lee wrote:
Weaboo much?

I've a serious, but straightforward question; are you by any chance one of those retarded douchebags?

I fail to see the issue with his logic, what's makes you think he's a weaboo?

Not everyone's native language is english and you have to consider those who prefer original audio over an dubbed one. Take me for example, I really hate the english language and personally think that japanese language is more appealing. My native language is neither english or japanese, so what makes it extremely wrong for me to prefer the japanese audio over the english one?
Not to mention that original audio is usually way better, regardless of it's original language. I would never want to see a spanish dubbed Star Wars or a chinese dubbed swedish movie.
You also have to consider that original languge means that the lipsync is more accurate, this is especially true when it comes to games such as Final Fantasy.

Naturally I don't expect a narrowminded fool like yourself being able to understand or capable of posting a constructive reply.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a weaboo; Japan has some nice things, but I'm not that much of a fan, actually, being a too big fan of any country disgust me.

About language option...

I was fine with dubs (FFX, MGS, ZOE, etc...), when I didn't know better, but then when I heard on YT Junichi Suwabe as Seymour Guado, or legendary Kaneto Shiozawa as Gray Fox, or Kazuhiko Inoue as Dingo Egret, and Yukino Satsuki as Ken Marinaris, the way they were simpy fitting for their roles, I don't know...
Plus, for most of them, you get a totally different feeling than in dubbed version.

These are some of games I still haven't played with original audio, and I probably won't (except for FFX which has undub version on net), because it's unavailable.
Maybe someday there will be a decent undubbed version.

To be honest, I'm pretty okay with MGS english voices, although, when you compare, for instance, Liquid's voice actors Banjo Ginga and Cam Clarke, result is...
Well, totally different character, even if the lines are directly translated - Banjo Ginga makes original Liquid as some older serious war veteran boss of special forces, while Cam Clarke's version is some a bit more relaxed British sunglasses-wearing motherfucker boss of special forces.

I love Cam Clarke's Liquid, but videos with Banjo Ginga also made wish to play original version with understandable text.

So, it's pretty much that often dub makes it seem as quite different story from what creators envisioned.

I saw japanese dub of My Little Pony, and even though I like those seiyu in japanese things like anime and JRPGs, when it comes to dubbing something western, they totally miss the point with sounding too dramatical.

It's 2014, option for dual audio with original language should be a standard by now...

I simply don't want to encourage anyone by giving my money for things I won't be satisfied with, and make whoever decides not to include original audio that I'm happy with it.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Hawkwing wrote:
Leland Lee wrote:
Weaboo much?

I've a serious, but straightforward question; are you by any chance one of those retarded douchebags?

I fail to see the issue with his logic, what's makes you think he's a weaboo?

Not everyone's native language is english and you have to consider those who prefer original audio over an dubbed one. Take me for example, I really hate the english language and personally think that japanese language is more appealing. My native language is neither english or japanese, so what makes it extremely wrong for me to prefer the japanese audio over the english one?
Not to mention that original audio is usually way better, regardless of it's original language. I would never want to see a spanish dubbed Star Wars or a chinese dubbed swedish movie.
You also have to consider that original languge means that the lipsync is more accurate, this is especially true when it comes to games such as Final Fantasy.

Naturally I don't expect a narrowminded fool like yourself being able to understand or capable of posting a constructive reply.

Whoops. My bad, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Hawkwing wrote:

In FF13's case though, the developers put the effort to render the lip-synch with English; that's why the Japanese voice DLC includes lip-sync adjustments.

• An Interview With Final Fantasy XIII’s Kitase And Toriyama

• Is there a specific reason why Japanese voices were left out of the game?

For the European version, the facial expressions and lip syncronisation are all lined up with the English lines, so the Japanese voices would not match up right. That was the main worry.
Fatt_One

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:

Now I don't post often so maybe I forgot the rules, but I'm pretty sure expressing your desire to pirate something; anime, software, tv; is extremely against the rules of these forums. You probably want to watch what you say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
partially

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
According to the HumbleBundle store page if you live in Asian regions you are delivered the Asian version of the game with JP audio only. Hence why Steam lists the additional languages, but it is regional delivery you cannot deliberately choose. So I guess you could use a VPN to purchase on Steam and get that version.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:

Wow, I can't believe you said this either.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, how else will I be able to play the game with original audio with english text?

If someone wouldn't be a moron, and give people what they want, I'd gladly pay for it.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:41 am Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:
Well, how else will I be able to play the game with original audio with english text?

If someone wouldn't be a moron, and give people what they want, I'd gladly pay for it.

I understand that you don't want to support a "butchered" version of game, but how does pirating the game help anything? Are you thinking if enough people starting pirating a fan-translated version, S-E will change their minds? Not trying to defend the company here, since they've made plenty of dumb decisions, but there's probably business related reasons they didn't include the japanese audio. Perhaps selling it as DLC later?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3