• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Family: Utah Man Was Cosplaying Samurai Champloo When Shot, Killed by Police

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saturn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Cyberphobe wrote:
Quote:
Even if he was carrying a sword around, he had the right because of open carry laws. Swords are included in this, btw.

So, yeah

That is true, however, police still have the right to stop and question people who do carry weapons. In a world where terrorism is a major concern it isn't uncommon for officers to stop people for carrying weapons of any kind.

The fact that he was shot repeatedly in the back is what makes this whole case stink. I wouldn't blame police for questioning anyone at all who was carrying a sword (or knife or whatever) because we live in a world where people will shoot kindergartners; you can never be too careful. But 6 shots is excessive, and unless he attacked them and then turned around an ran (which doesn't really seem like their story), they had no reason to think it was an urgent enough matter to open fire.
insert name here

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hunt was shot and killed about 200 yards away near a Panda Express restaurant.

Maybe the cops would have thought twice if he had managed to get in front of a Dunkin Dounuts.

This is disgusting. Hopefully all cops will be required to wear cameras soon and we can start to mitigate this kind of nonsense.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I personally would ask for more studies on those wounds. Don't forget there are generally two types of bullet holes...entrance and exit. Doctor might have some reason to just "assume" those are the entrance wounds rather than the exit.

The shot that killed him had no exit wound, only an entry wound in the back:
Quote:
Randall Edwards, an attorney for Hunt’s family, said in an email late on Monday: “This appears to be a major change in the official story”.

Edwards said over the weekend that the family’s private autopsy had found Hunt was shot six times from behind. He was hit once in a shoulder, once in the back, once in an elbow, twice in a leg and once in a hand, according to the attorney.

“The shot that killed Darrien, which was straight in the back, did not have an exit wound,” Edwards told the Guardian. “It raises the question as to how you can lunge at someone and be shot in the back at the same time.” Edwards declined to identify the pathologist who had carried out the autopsy, citing a desire to protect him from media attention.

Saturn wrote:
But 6 shots is excessive, and unless he attacked them and then turned around an ran (which doesn't really seem like their story), they had no reason to think it was an urgent enough matter to open fire.

6 shots and a few cops around is actually showing restraint. And I'm not being sarcastic. For the majority of incidents including unarmed people, the cops would fire a whole lot more rounds.

Last edited by configspace on Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
momopeach

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I have to wonder if these types of cases are becoming more common in recent history (recent meaning that back in the 60's something like this was legally unjust, but no one really did anything or bothered. Cops could beat up a black man on tape and investigators would say they couldn't find the perpetrators), or is it simply being reported on more?

In any case, the back wounds make me wonder about this. This certainly seems like racial profiling to me, and it begs the question if he was Caucasian or another ethnicity whether the same thing would have occurred.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
After reading this news, I have to ask this question: Is this incident going to turn into another Ferguson, Missouri??

Probably not, the community's not the same.

The basic problem is that you have people who have this "qualified immunity" which means that they are not always held accountable.

This applies to Police Officers and a host of other officials in various governmental agencies. If you take that away and make it clear that the official's actions can and will lead to personal liability, if they make serious errors, then you will get somewhat more circumspect behavior.

Yes it will make their jobs harder, and in some cases impossible, but the other result is citizens being hurt or killed without good cause.

Mark Gosdin
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Edwards said that an independent autopsy reported that Hunt was shot six times in the back.

The officers involved need to be charged with murder, pronto. Of course they won't be because the American justice system is broken.
Saturn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

Saturn wrote:
But 6 shots is excessive, and unless he attacked them and then turned around an ran (which doesn't really seem like their story), they had no reason to think it was an urgent enough matter to open fire.

6 shots and a few cops around is actually showing restraint. And I'm not being sarcastic. For the majority of incidents including unarmed people, the cops would fire a whole lot more rounds.

I don't think that's particularly true. It would depend on the officers in question, of course, but you can't just assume they're all corrupt and willing to shoot innocent people, any more than you can assume a black person is inherently more dangerous than a white one.
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Cyberphobe wrote:
Quote:
Even if he was carrying a sword around, he had the right because of open carry laws. Swords are included in this, btw.

So, yeah

That is true, however, police still have the right to stop and question people who do carry weapons. In a world where terrorism is a major concern it isn't uncommon for officers to stop people for carrying weapons of any kind.

They have no such right. They need probable cause. If it's 100% legal to OC an Ak-47 with a 75 round drum they can't force me to answer any questions because of what I COULD do with it, Reasonable suspicion must apply. If they keep bugging me for no reason I would file a lawsuit for harassment.

For or against guns, you should never support officers arbitrarily detaining and questioning people because of some bullshit hunch. If you're into that kinda thing build a time machine and go live in the glorious U.S.S.R.
Ladymage Samiko

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Just to play devil's advocate…

Perhaps he was cosplaying. And we anime fans can understand that. But I defy anyone not to feel a little uneasy when a completely random person (black, white, or rainbow-coloured) is carrying a sword around. Permitted or not, it's not a common thing in this day and age. I can sympathize with the police/whoever called them in wanting to know what was up.

As for shooting him in the back, I can see a plausible scenario: The police confront him, and he draws and lunges as they said. They stumble back, and he takes off. They need time to recover, draw their weapons, and shout whatever version of 'Stop, or I'll shoot' is used nowadays. He keeps running—someone who is carrying and has attempted to use a deadly weapon—so they shoot.

I wasn't there; I don't know what happened. But I do believe that most cops are poor, ordinary bastards who are trying to do a job they get little thanks for, particularly nowadays.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
This is terrible. I do not want to be this cynic, but like others here, I think this young man was most likely killed because he was black. What is wrong with the police, shooting and killing minorities.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
i feel sick to my stomach, seriously what the fudge??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Get mandatory cameras on those lunatic cops as fast as we can. This complete lack of responsibility and abuse of authority is just ridiculous.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Ladymage Samiko wrote:
Just to play devil's advocate…

Perhaps he was cosplaying. And we anime fans can understand that. But I defy anyone not to feel a little uneasy when a completely random person (black, white, or rainbow-coloured) is carrying a sword around. Permitted or not, it's not a common thing in this day and age. I can sympathize with the police/whoever called them in wanting to know what was up.

Hmmm...Yeah. Well, true story, I was in a restaurant with an ex boyfriend and he was carrying a black long shaped bag and someone called the cops on us because I guess they thought there were guns, when indeed they were kendo sticks. And the police questioned us and we showed it to them. They apologized for interrupting our meal and thanked us for cooperating. We were in public.

On the flip side, my friend was walking around with a backpack and was lost in some suburban area, and he was stopped by police, they cursed at him, threw his stuff out of his backpack and was acting like they were the shit. This was more isolated. Neutral

So I guess it depends on what kind of cop deals with the scenario.

Quote:

He keeps running—someone who is carrying and has attempted to use a deadly weapon—so they shoot.

...eh...that I dunno. I guess I'm trying to see this work out into my head but I have a hard time believing that it was so simple. I really hope to hear more.

And if he was cosplaying, as a cosplayer, I find it kinda strange...unless there was a photoshoot or a con nearby, even an event between friends, I've never heard of anyone cosplaying alone like that. Perhaps closet cosplay, but even that is not even something I would think would apply to this guy.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
So why was he cosplaying just because? I don't think someone needs to be shot to death because he has a sword, but there's a difference between being at a convention or event and cosplaying, and cosplaying on the street, with no context that police understand.

You have a weapon: a real weapon. You're on the street. At the very, very least, cops are going to come talk to you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
-Shot in the back means he wasn't "lunging" at the officers.

-Shot 6 times means there was reason to use stopping force... IE, they weren't trying to disable they were trying to kill.

-He was brandishing a (fake) melee weapon. Meaning if the police thought he was going to harm someone with the weapon, Hunt would have had to be within striking distance of the victim. IE, there is no way a police officer would fire a single round, from range, at a suspect when a bystander is within striking range of the target. Let alone 6 shots!

No matter how you slice it, the cops are at fault. Whole story or not, firing your weapon for any reason should open up an investigation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13