• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Family: Utah Man Was Cosplaying Samurai Champloo When Shot, Killed by Police

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Independent autopsy report released on Darrien Hunt

...According the report, Hunt was shot once in the back, once in the left arm/elbow, twice in the left thigh, once in the right shoulder and right forearm for a total a of six times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
...According the report, Hunt was shot once in the back, once in the left arm/elbow, twice in the left thigh, once in the right shoulder and right forearm for a total a of six times.

The back is pretty obvious, but did they release any info on the trajectories of the other shots?
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I only read the blurb. Maybe they say it in the embedded video, but I doubt it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:

Uh oh, this looks like it could probably turn into another Ferguson aka another Michael Brown-type protest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it will be. This is not a case of a community with a history of tension with police. I do think that the consequences for this killing are stacking up for police.

Family releases autopsy results of Darrien Hunt, who was fatally shot by police
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
I don't think it will be. This is not a case of a community with a history of tension with police. I do think that the consequences for this killing are stacking up for police.

Family releases autopsy results of Darrien Hunt, who was fatally shot by police

Well you never know, a small incident can turn into a nationwide outrage. Also before Michael Brown's fatal shooting, Ferguson police and the people of Ferguson never had any tension. But after Michael Brown died, it turned really bad. So I'm bit worried the death of Darrien Hunt could turn Saratoga Springs into another Ferguson, racially motivated or not, the main thing that Darrien Hunt and Michael Brown had in common: police use too much excessive force.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Actually, there was long history if issues between the Ferguson police department and segments of the community. The shooting just brough things to a head.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Actually, there was long history if issues between the Ferguson police department and segments of the community. The shooting just brough things to a head.

After doing some research, turns out you're right. But I did some research and saw this article from Reuters:

Fatal Police Shooting In Utah Fuels Racial Controversy

So that's why I'm worried Saratoga Springs could turn into another Ferguson.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
You don't need to worry about that happening. Salt Lake City is a bit different from St. Louis.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
...Also before Michael Brown's fatal shooting, Ferguson police and the people of Ferguson never had any tension. But after Michael Brown died, it turned really bad.

Yeah, yikes, that is not accurate. As noted, there was a lot of prior tension that the killing of Michael Brown built upon. That's why it got so intense; people don't react like that from nothing. There's a long, sad history behind the circumstances in St. Louis county that bred that situation. It's a patchwork of small municipalities that spawned continually outward as whites fled from growing black populations, incorporated new municipalities as part of a strategy to exclude blacks, then did it again when they could no longer keep the wrong sort of people out. This has created a lot of pathologies, the key symptom of which is that those municipalities raise significant shares of their revenue, some approach half, from fines. Many have several times as many outstanding warrants as people: Country Club Hills has 26 warrants outstanding per inhabitant. (N.b. That's not that everybody in Country Club Hills, MO has 26 warrants out, but that it has 33,000 outstanding warrants with a population of less than 1,300)

The Washington Post published a thorough account of the situation last month. I don't know what the circumstances are in Utah, but the Ferguson incident might well have changed things for the moment such that protest can come from national awareness rather than just local tension. Given national reach and consequences of the United States' awful history on race, that is probably appropriate.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
You don't need to worry about that happening. Salt Lake City is a bit different from St. Louis.

Surrender Artist wrote:

The Washington Post published a thorough account of the situation last month. I don't know what the circumstances are in Utah, but the Ferguson incident might well have changed things for the moment such that protest can come from national awareness rather than just local tension. Given national reach and consequences of the United States' awful history on race, that is probably appropriate.

I understand, but I still think a Ferguson-inspired protests and riots could still happen. I know St Louis and Salt Lake are different and the situation are a bit different. But it's still possible that the protesters in Saratoga Springs could use Ferguson as a inspiration to get justice for Darrien.

If the family members of Michael Brown hear about what happen in Saratoga Spring and ended up supporting Darrien's family or call for justice for Darrien alongside Michael Brown, that could (maybe) inspire and fuel more protests in Saratoga Springs, it's possible Saratoga Springs could maybe turn into another Ferguson, I hope I'm wrong but anything's possible and now given that Ferguson is still fresh and Darrien's death kinda reminds people and his family of what happened in Ferguson and Michael Brown, it's possible it could spark a Ferguson-style/inspired protests.

Again, it wouldn't surprise me if Saratoga Spring become another Ferguson, I hope I'm wrong.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:02 am Reply with quote
You're ignoring key differences; without any research, I can tell you with great confidence that Saratoga Springs is predominately white Mormons, who don't really behave the same way.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
You're ignoring key differences; without any research, I can tell you with great confidence that Saratoga Springs is predominately white Mormons, who don't really behave the same way.

I'm aware of that, but I can't rule out the possibility of a Ferguson-style/inspired protests that could happen in Saratoga Springs.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:07 pm Reply with quote
mdo7, I know you're wondering, but we're telling you, there's not going to be another Ferguson. It would've happened already. Check how long, historically, it takes between a death deemed unjust to the time it takes for protests and/or riots to happen.

Riots take place when people are amped up, when there's a lot of emotion in the air.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13