• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Family: Utah Man Was Cosplaying Samurai Champloo When Shot, Killed by Police

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:42 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
If the guy was actually going after cops with the sword, then they had every right to blow him away. If he wasn't, then the cops involved should face trial.

TBT, you would need to be Kirito to use a melee weapon against a loaded gun with a respectable distance between the two and expect to have any kind of success, unless you are covered in body armor or under the influence or drugs, which is not the case since it has not been reported.

Based on the article, there isn't a lot to go by regarding exactly what took place. That *includes* the distance between parties throughout the incident. My reading of it was that the incident took place 200 yards away from the credit union. But the whole thing is worded so vaguely it could mean other things as well. There is nothing in the article that I found convincing one way or the other. The very lack of a comprehensive description of events is... puzzling, especially if there were eye-witnesses to what happened.

SynergyMan wrote:
Please don't lecture us about shootings and crime. You're from Mexico, the most dangerous 1st world nation on Earth, with less guns per capita and far more gun deaths.

I don't necessarily disagree with most of what you said here, but since when has Mexico ever been considered a First World nation? They're not and never have been.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:38 am Reply with quote
Right now, all I can do is sit back, look at the photo of the cops and Hunt and wonder what happened that they ended up shooting him in the back; along with how many shots were actually fired. Unless they were rather close, it's hard to imagine that only 6 shots were fired.

Sad, sad affair with loss of life.
battousai47

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:44 am Reply with quote
Land of the free, go figure...
insert name here

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:52 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
(sigh)...fixed for you

configspace wrote:
#1 Some Cops lie.
#2 Some Cops are the perpetrator of shootings far more than anyone else

Assuming that all police officers are corrupt thugs is like assuming every public school teacher is incompetent and/or secretly lusting at their underage students. Are there dirty cops? Yes. Are they all dirty? No. The fact that stories like this and the Ferguson issue make the news at all means that cases where there was probably some abuse of authority like this are few and far between. Otherwise, stories like this wouldn't be as sensational as they are.

No, most cops lie. It's often to a cop's advantage to get people to give up their constitutional rights and give them information (whether it incriminates themselves or someone else). Most cops aren't lawyers, which means they probably understand their department protocol better than they understand the actual law, so bluffing goes with the territory. As for the sensationalism of these stories, people didn't riot in Ferguson or LA because of isolated incidents, they rioted because those incidents are all too typical. Police killing unarmed (often non-white) people doesn't happen in every encounter with the public, but it happens way too goddamn often. And we see it coming to light more and more thanks to new media technology like the internet consumer video technology.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:10 am Reply with quote
I think it should be pointed out that the police changed their initial story after the autopsy came out and even went on record saying they didn't even question the officers about it when making their official statements.

At first, the police were claiming he lunged at the officers and so they shot him. When the autopsy came out and showed he was shot six times in the back (one in the center of the back, and five others including his shoulder, elbow, legs, and hand) they changed the story to he lunged at the officers at the bank they shot at him, he ran 100 yards to the panda express, and then he was shot again there.

Also, there is NO reason to shoot a fleeing person in the back outside of him threatening someone else. If he was a threat to other people the police would have mentioned it already because it would only help their case, but they didn't.

In the case of Kajieme Powell he had a knife, but was shot multiple times from what appears to be 15-20 feet away (the police initially claimed he was 3-4 feet away). When the police arrived, within a second of leaving their cars they they their weapons drawn, and within fifteen seconds shoot him about nine times and killed him. After he was killed they flipped him over and handcuffed him. This is all on video.

Needless to say, it is very easy to make this story about race when you consider that black people get shot and killed by police damn near every single day when there are other options they can take other than shooting them.

Edit: Also, the police were called because someone called in someone being suspicious in Hunt's case.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:57 am Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:

Edit: Also, the police were called because someone called in someone being suspicious in Hunt's case.

Which doesn't really mean much about what he was doing - I've ended up on the ground at taserpoint because an idiot decided my umbrella in a bag looked like a rifle and called it in.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:14 am Reply with quote
battousai47 wrote:
Land of the free, go figure...
More like Land of the paranoid. Shoot first ask questions later. Seems like the 60's all over again.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:15 am Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
Why are people making this out to be a racial thing? People complain about white police shooting black people, but let's look at the facts.

52.5% of all homicide offenders from 1980-2008 were black. Out of their targets, 93% of them were blacks. Whites made up 45.3% of homicide offenders. 84% were white. Only 16% came from other racial groups. Where are these riots whenever a black person shoots another black person(more common)? The fact is that black on black crime/white on white crime/Asian on Asian crime is WORSE than that of multiracial crime. Intracial crime is the worst crime that can ever occur. Black claim brotherhood and when a white guy kills them, they flip. When they kill themselves at far higher rates, they don't. Chicago has more black people dying in that city alone than all the white on black police shootings. Where is the rage? Not condoning any crime, but why are blacks so hypocritical when it comes to murder? If their logic stood, their anger should be directed not at the white man, but at the man in the mirror.

I just want everyone to know that these are common neo-nazi taking points.

This kid was shot because he was black. As an actual black person the amount of apologism in this thread is alarming.
Crowjack

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:19 am Reply with quote
It seems that stuff like this has been happening alot more in the past few years. Becoming more frequent with each passing year. Almost every time the officers involved get away with it. I understand it is a difficult job but the LAW should still apply to them. They should not just be fired and be free to live among the rest of society. I mean just because a job is hard and accidents are more liable to happen people shouldn't just get away with it when they do. This should count for all high stress jobs surgeons, air traffic controllers, cops, etc...I am sick of government officials, cops, rich people, and all the celebrities getting away with everything. If I had been pulled over with drugs and got a dui multiple times I would be in jail. Not sitting next to Jimmy Fallon talking about my new movie that Im in and making millions of bucks for. In the very least I would be in drug court for atleast 2 years having to call and check what colors had to go and take a drug test the next day. Guess what, if I failed even 1 of those drug test I would be in jail or 2 more years would be added on to my having to take those test. All of which I would be having to pay ALOT of money for every time I took them. I wouldn't get to go before the judge and say I'm going into rehab ( a multi-million dollar private estate with a spa and all the luxurious ammeneties you could ever want ) to get clean. The world is sadly becoming worse at a very alarming rate.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Based on the article, there isn't a lot to go by regarding exactly what took place. That *includes* the distance between parties throughout the incident. My reading of it was that the incident took place 200 yards away from the credit union. But the whole thing is worded so vaguely it could mean other things as well. There is nothing in the article that I found convincing one way or the other. The very lack of a comprehensive description of events is... puzzling, especially if there were eye-witnesses to what happened.

As fas as we know there was a call about a suspicious person with a sword and then the police engaged the suspect, so I think it is safe to say that they were at a safe distance when the whole incident begun.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I don't necessarily disagree with most of what you said here, but since when has Mexico ever been considered a First World nation? They're not and never have been.

Allow me to explain his statement. He makes Mexico into a 1st world nation to mask the fact that the USA is one of the "most dangerous 1st world nation on Earth", only behind south Africa in homicides with firearms.

SynergyMan wrote:
Please don't lecture us about shootings and crime. You're from Mexico, the most dangerous 1st world nation on Earth, with less guns per capita and far more gun deaths. Oh and contrary to popular belief, most gun deaths in Mexico have nothing to do with the US. Why would anybody let Mexico of all people lecture us on crime/guns/corruption. Fix up your own shit before lecturing us. Who the hell do you think you are?

It bites isn't it? that you can no longer waver the "moral superiority" card. Let's forget for a moment that gun deaths in Mexico would mostly vanish in thin air if the USA stopped being the world #1 drug importer; let me tell you why I am lecturing you. If this incident had happened anywhere in Mexico, as in, cosplayer with a sword is killed in broad daylight by police with a bunch of witnesses to booth, those police would be under arrest pending investigation or would have flee into gun loving USA. For all our problems with violence and corruption, one of our problems is NOT having a police force with a license to kill.
Xshinobi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:50 am Reply with quote
Do law enforcement officers in the USA not have access to non lethal methods to deal with people? It seems like anytime law enforcement is called in the USA the first thing they lead with is a firearm.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
Xshinobi wrote:
Do law enforcement officers in the USA not have access to non lethal methods to deal with people? It seems like anytime law enforcement is called in the USA the first thing they lead with is a firearm.

I suppose they do, but it wouldn't seem like as big a news article. Also, it depends on what you consider nonlethal.

Some of the "safer" varieties would be water cannons, net guns, & stink bombs (but, these are often used for riot controls).
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
The police are the biggest gang in the world. They have each others back.

Hunt was in Utah, what con was he at? Maybe he was going to a costume party?

Common sense will tell you not to walk around in public with a sword.

Guns and swords in Utah are acceptable of course when you are dressed like everyone else.

Since most of you do know Mugen and what cosplay is, I fully agree that It was ridiculous how the police handled the situation. A 22 year old man was shot six times in the back, the complete opposite of lunging at them with a lead sword.

Most of the masses do not recognize the situation or our hobby. A male, alone, in costume, with a sword is not the norm.

@ mangamuscle Have you ever been to Utah?

Last edited by Shadowrun20XX on Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:23 am Reply with quote
Police in the US absolutely have access to non-lethal means of enforcement. Based on recent discussions about military surplus items, however, I would assume that some of the equipment comes from military grants.

I've seen videos where police in Europe or Canada managed to apprehend an aggressive suspect using beanbag guns, tasers, mace, etc. I honestly do not think that officers in the US are trained to protect and serve. Seems like the training is focused on "apprehend or eliminate".

When I look at a picture of a group of police officers and 70% of them are overweight it makes me more afraid for officer safety than my own. Those officers don't look like they are trained to protect anyone.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:24 am Reply with quote
revolutionotaku, the problem with Tasers are that they probably lead to more deaths than the other tools I mentioned.

Last edited by Kadmos1 on Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 13