• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rurouni Kenshin Manga Gets Live-Action Film in 2012

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShaolinWolf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Yamada would have been the best choice, but an adaption of an anime samurai series does not strike me as something as he would attach himself to in his last days.

Keishi Ōtomo, the director chosen, at least has some prior experience directing historical samurai drama.
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
This is the big new prospective project they've been hyping?

Oh, shove off.
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
SecretAgent94 wrote:
The live action can die for all I care.

I doubt anyone could perfect Kenshins hair or anyone elses
Jetto

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Any chance of this getting The Last Samurai's budget? I could die a happy man.
Miyuu~ki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:14 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
This is the big new prospective project they've been hyping?

Oh, shove off.

No. did you not read the last paragraph of the article? the new anime is what everyone's excited about.

This is the year of KenshinXD First the remastering of the OVA's and original anime, then a NEW anime(full-blown series, not another OVA), and now the live action movie that's been rumoured for YEARS is confirmed.

best year of my life! Rurouni Kenshin will always be my favorite series;)

and guys, even if the movie sucks, you know you'll still be sitting in that theatre on opening night(assuming they do end up releasing internationally like planned). who cares if it sucks, it happened, right? DBZ evolution was highly entertaining(not in the way they intended/wanted, in a trainwreck sort of way, but well...) Be excited! We're still getting a new anime;D

Here comes Jinchuu, baby~!
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Well, maybe if that guy who directed Goemon is attached, it might work.

Wah... I like Kazuaki Kiriya two movies so far but I'm gonna have to say that is a bad idea for Kenshin. Unless it was during the Battosai era of the kenshin series. Which would be cool for flashbacks if Kiriya directed them.
UkiyaSeed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:39 pm Reply with quote
To those who are doubt the actor who will play as Kenshin Himura, his role in Kamen Rider Den-O was able to prove that he can play different types of personalities. From a playboy, to a happy go lucky child, to a hot blooded warrior, and to a sleepy samurai/sumo wrestler and lastly, into a whimpy teenager working in his sister's coffee shop.

Some samples of his role as Ryotaro Nogami/Kamen Rider Den-O:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1LOUM3dkj4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa5yrewXiqw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt3k2bP8MV8&feature=related

Also, he was in a samurai related drama called, Ryomaden:
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:35 am Reply with quote
Anime to live-action are rarely ever good. People probably satisfied by this would be satisfied with Gantz and DB:E. Laughing
koinosuke

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:26 am Reply with quote
Oh lord, I'm already feeling a bit of bile rising in the back of my throat.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:15 am Reply with quote
The fact that there are some Taiga Drama alumni behind this project means it should shape up really well. I can honestly say I'm looking forward to it.

I would imagine that a lot of the more fantastic shonen tropes will be reduced, if not tossed by the wayside, but that opens it up for some excellent character drama and we can still have some cool sword fights.

enurtsol wrote:
Anime to live-action are rarely ever good. People probably satisfied by this would be satisfied with Gantz and DB:E. Laughing

While I'll agree there is a thin line on a lot of anime that would make a decent live action production nearly prohibitively expensive, I've seen quite a few anime and manga that were adapted to live action drama that were quite good. I'm not familiar with GANTZ all that well (read a few scattered chapters of the manga and maybe saw an episode or two of the anime) but the trailer I checked out seemed to be kinda cool. Care to elaborate on your distaste for it?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:44 pm Reply with quote
SalarymanJoe wrote:
I'm not familiar with GANTZ all that well (read a few scattered chapters of the manga and maybe saw an episode or two of the anime) but the trailer I checked out seemed to be kinda cool. Care to elaborate on your distaste for it?

First and foremost, it was sanitized. Gantz is a dirty story. Laughing
Daroko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:17 pm Reply with quote
hah. I just remembered an amusing fact, this actor actually played the real life swordsman that Kenshin is based on in a different show a year ago. Fate?

I also find that a majority of those casting this off as "eww, live action" really have no idea about how often manga projects are adapted or much about the live action field in Japan. For every Dragonball Evolution you have a Cats Street, Hataraki Man, Jigoku Shojou, and Aquarian Age.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:58 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

First and foremost, it was sanitized. Gantz is a dirty story. Laughing

Okay ... anything else?

Daroko wrote:
hah. I just remembered an amusing fact, this actor actually played the real life swordsman that Kenshin is based on in a different show a year ago. Fate?

Actually, the character that Satou played in Ryoumaden was Okada Izou, the primary basis for Udou Jin'e in Rurouni Kenshin. Kenshin was based on one of Okada's contemporaries, Kawakami Gensai. Kawakami was not featured in the Ryoumaden Taiga Drama.
Kenruyoh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:03 am Reply with quote
I hope that their storyline is when kenshin is a battousai just like the first ova: trust and betrayal

But the new anime series will still be the most exciting part of Kenshin's comeback!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2