• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Manga Adds The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer, Kippo to Catalog

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireaxe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:

Since Seven Seas doesn't deal in digital manga, it's entirely possible the JP licensor just never mentioned that anyone was currently in talks for it.

Wrong, Seven Seas have a chunk of their catalog available on Comixology.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Huh? Why do you think Crunchyroll having the manga will lead to *less* sales for Seven Seas? If anything, it will increase awareness and demand for the printed manga. Manga companies have even licensed series that were only available on Crunchyroll because the numbers of readers they get.
adam_omega

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Huh? Why do you think Crunchyroll having the manga will lead to *less* sales for Seven Seas? If anything, it will increase awareness and demand for the printed manga.

One company having an entire series available to read with a professional translation when a print release with its own different professional translation is only at the beginning does not spell good things for a print release. Readers want to read the version that has the most content available so they can enjoy it then and there. It's why scanlation aggregator sites are still popular--you can read a series right now instead of waiting.

Seven Seas is at the mercy of the bookstore market with requires books to be scheduled a year in advance with little wiggle room. Crunchyroll and scanlations do not have that handicap.

Last edited by adam_omega on Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:41 pm; edited 14 times in total
ajr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Huh? Why do you think Crunchyroll having the manga will lead to *less* sales for Seven Seas? If anything, it will increase awareness and demand for the printed manga. Manga companies have even licensed series that were only available on Crunchyroll because the numbers of readers they get.

Especially for something without an existing anime adaptation. Most of the folks buying Seven Seas manga can't read Japanese, after all. I'm sure they're losing some sales with it being online, but I could also seem them easily gaining sales. The Japan side probably doesn't care too much as long as they're making as much money as possible, so if CR manga is significantly hurting sales, you'd think the Japanese publishers would be reluctant to put more manga on CR. I suspect we're seeing the opposite of that, just based on what titles are added to CR manga.

For what it's worth, I didn't care much about this Lucifer & Biscuit Hammer thing until I found out it's by the same person who does Spirit Circle, which I've found surprisingly engaging.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I just hope it means that people who may otherwise not have done try the series and like it enough to go and buy the books.

FWIW as well, Seven Seas have just said on Tumblr that this translation is entirely different from theirs.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
There is a significant qualitative difference between online manga--which CR doesn't allow anyone to download-to-own offline, and will probably only be completely available to subscribers--and printed manga volumes. I don't think Attack on Titan's sales have gone down since Crunchyroll started hosting the manga legally, and I doubt Viz has seen a significant drop in sales of Naruto or Bleach since they started offering Shonen Jump digitally (although, in that case, Viz gets the money in either way).
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:
One company having an entire series available to read when another is only at the beginning does not help. Readers want the one that has the most content available so they can read it then and there. It's why scanlations are still so popular--you can read it now instead of waiting.

You're contradicting yourself...

If it's already available on scanlations(and the majority of published ones today are), then it's indefinitely better the digital version is available on a legal service like CR to bring in revenue that way, instead of losing everyone who only prefers the digital version. Money's money, amirite?

And as most scanlations are far ahead of official western physical releases, often up-to-date, well, your argument doesn't really have legs to stand on. ...oh wait, you already said that yourself. Smile
lem

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Having a chance to check out Lucifer & Biscuit Hammer and other titles before I place my order for the physical edition? uh, yeah. I'll take it, thanks.

Agent355 wrote:
Huh? Why do you think Crunchyroll having the manga will lead to *less* sales for Seven Seas? If anything, it will increase awareness and demand for the printed manga..

Agreed. Having it on CR just means a potential for more sales. Especially for those of us that live far from any stores that sell manga and do our shopping for manga online (which in my case is 99.9% of the time).
adam_omega

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
The print sales of Arpeggio of Blue Steel don't lie. Having an up-to-date, official translation of that series available digitally so far ahead of what can come out in print has hurt physical book sales for that title.
ajr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Aww, really? I'm sorry to hear that. Arpeggio is a weird little piece of fun.
myskaros

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
myskaros wrote:

Since Seven Seas doesn't deal in digital manga, it's entirely possible the JP licensor just never mentioned that anyone was currently in talks for it.

Wrong, Seven Seas have a chunk of their catalog available on Comixology.

Whoops, my bad.

adam_omega wrote:

The print sales of Arpeggio of Blue Steel don't lie. Having an up-to-date, official translation of that series available digitally so far ahead of what can come out in print has hurt physical book sales for that title.

I'm not sure I agree with your conclusion; correlation does not equate to causation. Not to mention that, this being a literary work, you can't test the opposite case, where only books are available and no official digital release. There are any number of other reasons that could just as easily explain Arpeggio's low sales, first and foremost being a simple lack of interest in the work.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
adam_omega wrote:

I'm not sure I agree with your conclusion; correlation does not equate to causation. Not to mention that, this being a literary work, you can't test the opposite case, where only books are available and no official digital release. There are any number of other reasons that could just as easily explain Arpeggio's low sales, first and foremost being a simple lack of interest in the work.

True, but I'm going to have to take adam_omega's word for it more, mainly because he works for Seven Seas & has access to the actual numbers.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I can't answer for others, but if a physical release is available I'll take that, even if I've already read it online. The only exception would be if I read the first volume on line and didn't like it.

I've read all of Mysterious Girlfriend X on Crunchyroll. I'd still buy a physical release if it was offered. The main advantage of having it all available at once is you don't have to worry about it being cancelled before it is finished.

Buying something I read on Crunchyroll would be no different than buying something I watched, and I do that often.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Won't change the fact that I will buy the dead tree format version. I may have said it before, but I will never rent my manga or anime (or games or anything for that matter), I only pay to own.
myskaros

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
True, but I'm going to have to take adam_omega's word for it more, mainly because he works for Seven Seas & has access to the actual numbers.

That's fine and all, but statistically there are still outliers and unpredictable factors. Unless Seven Seas is going to poll their entire customer base to see why people did or did not buy Arpeggio physical, then relying merely on sales numbers will not give you an actual answer to "did CR's digital release impede our physical release?" since, again, there are a multitude of feasible reasons for why sales may not have met expectations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3