• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Character Guessing Game, Q4-2014 Round.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Google image search varies from user to user depending on your search interests. I, too, got different images of black and white things such as briefcases and couches and no results pertaining to anime.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I definitely got it too on Google's image search (though strangely not on TinEye). That's why I brought up the topic of RIS.

I don't mean to imply that Hikari14 is using RIS, but given what happened with Stark700 you always have to be wary whenever someone consistently gets difficult pictures in a matter of minutes.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only person who thought that was an easy image that should have been guessed that quickly? I haven't noticed any evidence that Hikari14 or anyone else is using search by image.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:03 am Reply with quote
^
It's unreasonable to claim that the image was "easy". Perhaps it is memorable to those who have seen the film, but to everyone else . . .
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:57 am Reply with quote
I'm confused dtm42, what's an RIS? Is it what the [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIS_(file_format)]Wikipedia article[/url] talks about?

Anyways, I'm not accusing Hikari14 of cheating (I have no evidence of it) but I'm curious as to how s/he obtained the answer (assuming s/he didn't watched the film). I tried to search for the source by looking up generic keyterms such as "old anime in black and white" but couldn't get any results that led to the answer -- these attempts were after the answer was confirmed.

EDIT:

I take it you mean Reverse Image Search. I wasn't thinking properly. Derp.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:15 am Reply with quote
The ANN encyclopedia lists thirty-three titles made between 1900 and 1945, and twenty results between 1930 and 1945. That's not a lot. If you have an hour of free time it is quite possible to look them all up on Google and figure out which one is the answer. But to get the answer in just a few minutes you pretty much have to recognise it straight away.
Hikari14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:17 am Reply with quote
Well, I do watch a lot of old anime.

EDIT: And Iwai is correct.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:48 am Reply with quote
Hey, dtm42, you could always click on My Anime and check out the nine pre-Tale of the White Serpent anime I've seen. I've made it easy for you by including pictures.

Anyway, once you've seen this short film (16 minutes and it's only as far away as YouTube) you'll understand Calathan's assertion that it's should have been guessed quickly - it's distinctive and memorable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:12 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Hey, dtm42, you could always click on My Anime and check out the nine pre-Tale of the White Serpent anime I've seen. I've made it easy for you by including pictures.

The picture for Kumo to Tulip in your MyAnime blurb is not the same as the one you used in this game. So that doesn't help much.

Using your MyAnime list makes it easier because titles can be narrowed down, but it's still not easy.

errinundra wrote:
Anyway, once you've seen this short film (16 minutes and it's only as far away as YouTube) you'll understand Calathan's assertion that it's should have been guessed quickly - it's distinctive and memorable.

But only those who have seen it are going to recognise it. There are tonnes of anime out there that I haven't watched but could still recognise characters from; Kumo to Tulip was not one of them.

To me, an "easy" picture is one that the average fan has a good chance of recognising straight away. For example, a character from a popular and/or relatively recent show. Kumo to Tulip is not popular but fairly obscure, and not recent but rather so old as to be practically ancient. We're talking a full twenty years before the first Mighty Atom anime series. The fact that it is available to watch on YouTube makes no difference, since you have to know about it first in order to watch it.

It wasn't a bad choice of anime to use in this game; far from it. It's actually nice to see old anime - and I mean properly old, not the inept and asinine "Justin thinks Serial Experiments Lain is buried" kind of old - being highlighted. Kumo to Tulip, though obscure, is now less obscure than before because of you, and that's a good thing.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:22 am Reply with quote
^
I'm a little disappointed it was guessed so quickly as it could have encouraged some detective work if I gave suitable clues.

Did you watch it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:51 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
It's unreasonable to claim that the image was "easy". Perhaps it is memorable to those who have seen the film, but to everyone else . . .

One reason I thought it was an easy image is that you can't really confuse it with anything more recent. If you had seen it, you wouldn't confuse it with something else, but even if you hadn't seen it, as Errinundra said, you can just look through her anime list, pick out the old anime, and then look each one up until you find the right answer. Another factor that I thought made it relatively easy is that the anime has been used in this game before, so long-time players might just remember that it exists even if they haven't watched it. Also, it looks like that anime was just fansubbed 1 week ago, which might mean people had just watched it.
Hikari14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:23 am Reply with quote
I already told you that I watch a lot of older anime, but somehow that went unnoticed.....
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:32 am Reply with quote
Hikari14 wrote:
I already told you that I watch a lot of older anime, but somehow that went unnoticed.....

I certainly noticed that, but I was replying to dtm42 about whether it was an easy image or not.

Also, I just want to mention that it is getchman's turn . . . he has a tendency to forget anyway, and I wouldn't want him to miss the fact that it is his turn since there are so many other posts.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:31 am Reply with quote
Hikari14 wrote:
Well, I do watch a lot of old anime.

EDIT: And Iwai is correct.

Okay, well sorry for raising suspicions. You're still fairly new so I haven't quite grasped your tastes yet. When Calathan said it was easy for him, I wasn't surprised in the least because he has a long history of posting/guessing old stuff like that. The images you usually post are from more recent stuff and I'm pretty sure you get them from Google instead of taking the screenshots yourself. That gives the impression you're most familiar with stuff from that time period.
Hikari14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:43 am Reply with quote
Well, I only know of recent stuff because of this forum and MAL. While I do watch newer anime, I also watch older ones. In fact, I watch whatever anime catches my attention.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 65