• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Urban Alchemist Launches

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimEdge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:33 pm Reply with quote
weeaboo term is generaly kept within 4chan so the only use in using it outside would to provoke interest as in "what does that mean?" or to show that you visit 4chan, it its another term for like Japanophile or wapanese generaly a derogitory term for nonjapanese people wising they where japanese

Now the question i have would be for the type of people who would wear such a shirt, i would expect that it will not be the best selling shirt online, since it refers to yaoi, if i saw someone in that shirt i would be like "woh its like he's telling everyone he's gay without, actually telling any one" or a female i would be like "woh she likes gay guys" and that not even including the if its a seme or uke terms

So i dont see why they shouldnt just add "i like gay love stories" to the list and call it a day? I mean it would keep people from asking hey what does "Seme" mean and them having to explain it to them

wearing these shirts espically after people figure it out kind of defeats the whole "dont label me" ideology especialy when the wearer will be labeled as liking gay love stories thus being sterotyped as being gay themselfs (wether or not it is true)

I might just be being sterotypical but thats what im sensing out of this

I have to agree witht he guy who generaly said that no matter how we look at this we still are talking about yaoi theamed shirts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:43 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Also, can I just point out I have no idea what a "uke" or a "seme" is, but I'm petrified to do Google them? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Use the ANN encyclopedia. That way, you will not need to see any "visual aids".

Eos wrote:
Ninja337 wrote:

This clothing line is weeaboo scum

Who on Earth actually uses that word? Outside of 4chan that is.

Sometimes I'm glad I don't read 4ch. I had to look this up, and Encyclopedia Dramatica just redirected me to their ridiculously funny "Wapanese" entry. Now, THAT word I know.

And as for better looking shirts, website and photos... Give them a break, they just started. Give 'em some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism instead of flames and they might actually make something you'd spend money on.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:02 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:

Also, can I just point out I have no idea what a "uke" or a "seme" is, but I'm petrified to do Google them? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

"Seme" and "uke" are sexual references used in yaoi and shounen-ai works. Follow the wiki links provided for more details.

Edit: I think that "weaboo" could actually apply here. (Gotta love that example. Wink )
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:

hikaru004 wrote:
Well, I don't think that those shirts on your website are polite to wear in public. You definitely couldn't wear those in school imo.

...Why? A very small percentage of the population is going to understand what the words seme and uke mean in the first place. I would be positively shocked if a teacher sent a student to the principal's office for wearing one of these shirts. Who would know?

If anything, those shirts would just present the wearer with many curious onlookers asking them to explain what it means.

Okay. I asked my sister who is a teacher in a public school on the east coast for verification. She said that if the teacher or principal didn't know what "seme" and "uke" meant you could get away with it. However, if they knew, the person wearing the shirt would get a suspension. T-shirts with sexual references are not allowed in the schools were she is at.

I explained it to her and she said "Yuck". So, those "curious onlookers" may not be very receptive to those t-shirts. Wink
Nerv1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:28 pm Reply with quote
wait... wouldn't these anime tees be considered "bootlegs" ever since they're made by anime fans? Read this topic:animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5401
ganami

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
wait... wouldn't these anime tees be considered "bootlegs" ever since they're made by anime fans? Read this topic:animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5401

No, why would bunch of words be bootlegged?
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
No, the shirts are simply using Japanese terms, not specific phrases or images from an anime/manga. To the best of my knowledge, it's not even possible to copyright a language. (Is it?)

If the company were manufacturing shirts with images from a yaoi anime/manga or catchphrases from a popular character from such, then they might have a legal problem on their hands. The phrases they are using ARE copyrighted, then they may have trouble but I seriously doubt these are copyrighted phrases. If they are copyrighted, then they just need to acquire consent from the copyright holders, then it's all good.

These shirts should be totally legal. (Assuming that no one other than them copyrights those phrases. Ever wonder why people in resturants never actually sing "Happy Birthday" but always some strange paraody of it? The original song had never been copyrighted, so when someone found out that it was free, they copyrighted it in and now have the power of the lawsuit!)
Riyousha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:

I do't see why they may be bootlegged. They'e not fansubs. There just clothing and gear.

You know, UA's selling reminds me of J!NX, the clothing and gear for gamers, geeks, and hackers. I've seen J!NX on G4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Nerv1 wrote:
No, the shirts are simply using Japanese terms, not specific phrases or images from an anime/manga. To the best of my knowledge, it's not even possible to copyright a language. (Is it?)

I'm sure it is if you make one up for a work of fiction, like the Abh language in Crest of the Stars.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:46 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

I'm sure it is if you make one up for a work of fiction, like the Abh language in Crest of the Stars.
Yeah, you're probably right with ficitional languages, but I wonder even with that.

I mean, how would you even enforce such a copyright if a large group of people started to use it? Like how there are all of those Star Trek fans speaking Klingon. (I saw a tiny news blip a while back that said those guys were in basically every western country on the planet and there's like tens of thousands of them! Shocked That's just plain scary!)

I wonder if Tolkien ever copyrighted the elvish language in his books. Would you have to copyright something like that seperately or would it be a part of the book's copyright to begin with?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:14 pm Reply with quote
In the case of a languae, I don't think they would enforce it if people just used it themselves with other fans at cons or on forums. Probably not even for fanfics or things like that. It would probably only be enforced if someone used it in a commercial work and the rights had not been obtained.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:35 am Reply with quote
On a somewhat related note:

Whatever happened to that site that ADV started up and sold t-shirts out of for about a day before it imploded due to heavy demand?
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I mean, how would you even enforce such a copyright if a large group of people started to use it? Like how there are all of those Star Trek fans speaking Klingon. (I saw a tiny news blip a while back that said those guys were in basically every western country on the planet and there's like tens of thousands of them! Shocked That's just plain scary!)

At Heroes Con in Charlotte, NC, I witnessed some sort of Klingon Appreciation Society where all the people at the booth were in full Klingon regalia, speaking the language and everything. It was pretty surreal.

My favorite Klingon-related story was at a sci-fi/fantasy con called Archon in Collinsville, IL. I was at the Hardee's down the street, wolfing down some breakfast (before heading back into their 24 hour anime room for several more hours) a couple tables over from a group of four guys in full Klingon wardrobe. This 80+ year old woman walked in and just about had a heart attack when she saw the Klingons....she must have thought the War of the Worlds was starting. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ninja337

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:25 am Reply with quote
Wow, I use the word weeaboo and start a flamewar. Should use that more often.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4