• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
kilaria wrote:
All this talk about Death Note makes me want to watch it again!! I have seen the entire series subbed. But how is the dub? I'd like to watch it again, and hopefully talk my husband into watching it with me, but he will only watch an anime dubbed. He hates reading subtitles. Rolling Eyes

The dub is atrocious. Not as bad as the dub for Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, but it still rapes Light's character. Light goes from being a bored intellectual to some whiny punk, it's disgusting. I hated the dubs for both series. They may sound professional but they completely change the personalities of the main characters for the worse.

Of course someone who hasn't watched the sub of Death Note before might not realise how inferior the dub is, so your husband might not realise there's anything wrong (with the dub). But he won't get the full impact because the dub sells the show short.

And before I get mobbed by angry dub fans let me just say that I don't mind when dubs aren't 100% accurate or completely faithful, so long as iconic characters aren't destroyed by poor performances. In Death Note and Code Geass this unfortunately happens. I like Brad Swaile and JYB, it's just that the latter was horribly miscast and the former has no absolutely idea of what sort of person Light is.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, as always, the dub will be in the ear of the beholder, but pretty much any discussion I have ever seen of the Death Note has tended to be favourable.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, as always, the dub will be in the ear of the beholder, but pretty much any discussion I have ever seen of the Death Note has tended to be favourable.

Liking the dub or sub is subjective, I'll admit that. But what is fact is that Light had his character changed with Swaile's performance. It is my assertion that said change was for the worse, because he took an iconic and interesting character and made him so much less.

And I'll leave it there as I don't want to start a dub vs sub argument.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
No, I don't think anybody is going to misinterpret your remarks as a kneejerk dub vs. sub thing; you seem to be quite specific in your dislike of Brad Swaile's performance. I disagree with your opinion. I'm not a particular Brad Swaile fan, but I did like his Light and his Rock from Black Lagoon. Again, I can only reiterate that most discussion I have seen about Death Note (which pretty much means what I've seen here at ANN) tends to be favourable with respect to the dub performances in DN. In fact, yours is the first strongly negative take I've come across so far. Doesn't mean there aren't others who agree with you, just that I haven't seen much of that perspective.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I've heard similar remarks about Light's performance in the Death Note dub, though most have been along the lines of "it's not as strong a performance as the Japanese" instead of "it ruins the character." Also, a fair amount of comments I've heard imply that Light's English voice improves as the series goes on, but I've only heard the early parts of the dubbed version myself. (Where I had a "it's not as good as the Japanese but I don't think it destroys the character" reaction.)

So to answer kilaria's question, I'd recommend you watch the first couple episodes of it dubbed and see what you think of Light's English performance. If you don't have an issue with that, then you shouldn't have any issues with the rest of the dub.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Ruined Light's character?

Like...

Sorry, I just stumbled over that pic while considering an avatar change.

I have nothing substantial to add to the discussion.

I've only seen the dub on Adult Swim, I thought it was fine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I often prefer to watch longer series dubbed, so when I first started watching Death Note I chose to go with the dub. I thought the voice for Light was a bit stiff and as dtm42 said, came out more as a whiny teenager than a bored genius. I really like Ryuk's voice though. So out of curiosity after the 2nd ep I watched the first ep subbed, and the Japanese VA did such a great job with Light's character I decided to switch. The dub isn't bad. I haven't seen the dub past ep 2 but from what I've seen it was greatly inferior to the sub.
supercreep

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote
That pic is genius.

I'm watching it subbed on Netflix, but all this talk about the dub has me interested. I'll have to revisit it in the future with the dub.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Ryuk and Misa Misa are two of my favourite parts in the dub. I thought all the Death Gods were pretty good.
supercreep

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ryuk and Misa Misa are two of my favourite parts in the dub. I thought all the Death Gods were pretty good.

I could easily see myself preferring a dubbed Ryuk. The subbed performance seems too...halloween-y, if that makes sense.
kilaria

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I thought the original japanese cast was amazing in Death Note, so I am sure I may not enjoy the dub as much. But if it's still decent he won't know any different. I'll definitely recommend that he watch it. I saw it pop up on netflix recently so maybe once we finish FMA: Brotherhood I can talk him into watching.

He's not a huge fan of anime, but I'm practically obsessed so try to get him to watch things that he may enjoy every chance I get. Wink He did watch the live action version of Death Note though and thought it was OK. Obviously the anime was much much better so I'm hoping he will love it like he loves FMA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Saw Dead Leaves for the first time yesterday. Having heard of its infamous reputation, I was quite expecting to find it a vile piece of trash and outright hate every minute, but a couple of the crude jokes made me laugh, and I actually ended up liking it. If you reach a point where you just stop trying to think about why everything that's happening is stupid and wrong, the style and animation is really pretty impressive. It works well if you watch it with a group of people. At one point, one of the protagonists said something like "none of this seems weird to me anymore", and immediately multiple people agreed with her.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:51 am Reply with quote
I just went through a dub run of The Squid Girl: The Invader comes from the Bottom of the Sea! (Shinryaku! Ika Musume) with my 10 year old brother. I reall enjoyed it the first time I watched it, so seeing the DVD finally come here was great, my brother has been a little sick lately, and I teased him with the first episode. I think they actually changed the rating from G, to PG, stating it has: Mild animated violence, sexual references and course language. Which I guess is fair for Sanae's part, except for course language, maybe it sounds like "Squid Girl" is swearing with all her puns. But I think it was alright for a child if they can get over one girl having a crush on another girl.

It was great seeing it all over again, I did not laugh out as loude as I did the first time I watched it, but my brother did, I still think the banana is one of my favourite bits. The first sub I watched was of the literal -degeso, and season two with the puns, I guess I was able to take the puns easier here, perhaps because I was seeing it through the begining rather then feeling like the same person sudenly changed the manerisms. overall it was still fun, best watched without trying to remember the punchlines.
supercreep

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Death Note.

I agree with everyone who said that the series declines, but I cannot in good conscious advise anyone to simply stop watching and missspoiler[ Light's epic unraveling. When he said "I am Kira," I felt such satisfaction.] Like some weight had been lifted from my shoulders.

Near and Mello did grate on me, Mello more so. I wanted to strangle him every time he took a bite of that chocolate bar. Those two characters were the biggest problems I had with the later episodes. His choicespoiler[ to recruit a right hand man] made sense, and I enjoyed the cult that cropped up. Matsuda had his moment, finally, because he mostly felt superfluous to me. I would actually argue that, even though it served a purpose and there was a fantastic, meaty payoff, the weakest section involved Yotsuba and the group of execs.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, and have no reservations about recommending it.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I did enjoy Death Note, although in my opinion it definitely went downhill after spoiler[L died] Near and Mello almost seemed like afterthought characters, as if the writer had gone spoiler[Oh shit we just killed the main antagonist, we need a new one! Let's have one beginning with M, then one beginning with N...] After that, it just seemed to get far too convoluted and wrapped up in its own plot twists. I did like the bittersweet ending though and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who has somehow not seen or read it yet. It's probably not something I would want to revisit any time soon though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 670 of 1062