• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote
supercreep wrote:
Death Note. Oh, man. I was losing it, but now I'm back, baby. spoiler[ Light getting his memories back] was a perfect example of a "holy shit!" moment. The kind I thought that this series had left behind. If it can keep up this newfound momentum, I'm going to be very pleased.

Ah, so you found the "Kata. Keikaku doori" scene to be to your liking. I thought you would. It's simply epic.
supercreep

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
supercreep wrote:
Death Note. Oh, man. I was losing it, but now I'm back, baby. spoiler[ Light getting his memories back] was a perfect example of a "holy shit!" moment. The kind I thought that this series had left behind. If it can keep up this newfound momentum, I'm going to be very pleased.

Ah, so you found the "Kata. Keikaku doori" scene to be to your liking. I thought you would. It's simply epic.

Yes! It was sublime. It gave me chills.
Masakisu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
My friend told me to watch Now and Then, Here and There and holy crap it was brilliant. Despite initially veiling itself as a normal slice of life series, it evolves to show the harsh realities of war in a manner greater and more impacting than even Grave of the Fireflies. The themes are explored mainly through the eyes of child soldiers, prisoners of war (including one used as a sex slave) and a child who has no experience of war jumping into the eye of the storm. Very depressing and tragic (again more so than GotF), though I was a little disappointed with the (sorta, kinda) happy end.

I'm eight episodes in to Darker than Black, and honestly I'm finding it pretty meh. I'm hoping it picks up and shifts focus to the mysteries surrounding the Contractors and Hell's Gate rather than continuing to focus on these episodic mysteries. I like episodic stuff, but DtB just feels like it should be something more.

I also watched the first episode of Ozuma, and it was incredibly standard and ordinary. It's Leiji Matsumoto though, so it makes up for it in charm.
Dr. Otacon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
So, I'm watching Black Lagoon for about the fourth time. Hot girls, guns, action, comedy and pirates: what's not to love?

Although I haven't seen Roberta's Revenge yet, I'm very curious about it. Has anyone here seen that particular OVA? I'm hoping that will eventually be licensed.
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:57 am Reply with quote
I just finished Hanasaku Iroha. I watched the first ep for the First Ep Tourney and it was so good I was watching the next and the next before I even knew it. I was pretty sure I'd like it, but I had no idea I would find myself relating to a series so much that's mostly about high school girls working at a Hot Springs Hotel. Most of the time, when a character does something stupid or messes up, instead of feeling bad for them I can only think of how the mistake could have been so easily prevented. Not so with this series. Whenever a character made a mistake, instead of the criticism that normally pops into my head, I empathized. I found myself thinking 'dang that is an easy mistake to make, yet still has big consequences' or 'yep, I remember doing something really similar during my first job...'. I really connected with the characters.

It was also really funny. I love Tomoe; the only complaint I can think of is that we only got one episode that focused on her. She was hilarious, spoiler[trying to get herself fired. Her crazy look while spraying the Survival Game customers with the hose was priceless.] Also, I laughed so hard at the skit of "how Enishi and Takako met" during their wedding Anime hyper

This is one of the few series I've given a 9/10 to that doesn't have any supernatural, fantasy, or science fiction elements. I admit I'm slightly biased against series that portray everyday life with no fantastically twist, but this series was fabulous.
Guardsman Bass

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:11 am Reply with quote
I'm following Madoka Magica. At first, I was thinking, "Bleh, another Magical Girl anime", but some fans online convinced me to at least watch it through Episode 3. I did, and now I"m hooked (helped by that fantastic battle music).

I'm also following Naruto: Shippuden, which is rapidly in danger of catching up to the manga again. No idea on what they'll do then, since there hasn't been a good stopping point yet.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:19 am Reply with quote
I finally put aside some time to catch up on a few titles I've been wanting to watch, meaning my 360 finally got some cool down time while I allowed my bluray player to take over giving my television something to do.

Starting out the lineup was K-ON and as I watched the first episode, I found myself sitting in stunned silence as my brain tried to unravel what it was digesting. To make sense of it, the only thing it mustered as an excuse was "it's a school club, so music knowledge wasn't required."

It worked, but from this point on, my brain found itself in self-preservation mode, trying to find excuses for each episode in order to prevent brain damage.

To understand this series is to think of a lump of coal with diamond in it. There are some decent points within the episodes, but overall, it's still just not good enough to be called a diamond on its own.

Making matters worse is the series uses one damn song throughout its 14 episodes. One. Song. If I hear it again, I'm going to scream. It's not a bad song, but when it's played incessantly throughout the series, it's enough to drive people to jump from bridges.

As a diamond in the rough, I can only hope the second season starts removing the coal from the diamond, because there is potential for this series. That is, if the potential means removing the ridiculous personality tropes and giving these girls a learning experience rather than re-use their faults over and over and over and over to pretend there's a story here.

In short: C+. I don't think I can re-watch this anytime soon. Then again, the zombie-making days of summer are fast approaching, and being brain-dead will be a blessing in disguise if a re-watch is in order.

I went from this series to High School of the Dead, and before the weekend night claimed the end to my free time, managed to get through episode 2. I did try to watch this series last year, but I never finished it.

I didn't leave because it was bad, but at the time, it was on one of those old-fashioned delivery systems where the distributors made us wait a week for a new episode. Too damn slow for my tastes, so I bailed, awaiting a future time to sit down and enjoy them in my much preferred marathon mode.

This series left an impression before I stopped watching it last year, as these first two episodes were really unnecessary to re-watch since I remembered them well, especially Takagi, my twin-tailed favorite.

No grade yet, unless you want one based on two episodes to which I'd give an easy "A" for just because of the fast-paced action we'd expect of a zombie series.

Wait. I said a few, didn't I? I lied. Only a couple. Sorry. It's Monday. It's morning. It's an excuse, but I'm sticking to do.

Bye-nee.
Guardsman Bass

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote
High School of the Dead is good if you can just enjoy it as a "zombie movie", with all the gore and gratuitous sexuality/nudity.

The real pity IMHO is that the story is likely never going to get finished. The author started the manga back in 2006, and he's up to only 29 chapters so far (all of them short chapters too).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:09 am Reply with quote
A question for anyone who has seen My Neighbors the Yamadas - is it worth seeing? It's part of the Studio Ghibli retrospective series I've been attending at the Bell Lightbox here in Toronto, but I'm not sure if this is a title I need to see on the big screen. Thoughts?
murph76

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
@Blood: It has very unique character designs, and I found the overall look of film a little shoddy. It's based off a newspaper comic strip, which I guess is the reason it doesn't look like any other film in Ghibli's catalog. I'm guessing that being on the big screen will only magnify the poor art.

Still, I thought the story had some interesting observations. The film is very much a slice-of-everyday-life tale about a typical family, but I enjoy those stories. Overall, it's worth watching.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote
Thanks, murph76. I'm getting the impression this is a title that does not require the big screen. I'm sure I'll watch it on DVD at some point (I'm assuming it's available?). I'm glad I saw Only Yesterday, Whisper of the Heart and Ocean Waves on the big screen, but there is no question that I have enjoyed Nausicaa, Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro and Princess Mononoke on the big screen much more. Slice of life stuff doesn't require that kind of scale.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
It might not require the big screen, but it's still worth seeing, and if the festival is the impetus actually to see it as opposed to postponing it, you should do it, I reckon.
It's good.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Damn you, ailblentyn, now you are making me doubt my decision to see it this coming Saturday! Friggin' trouble making Aussies... Wink
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
You might as well have left off mister winky emoticon.
It does nothing to defuse the deep insult you have offered me and my people.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
*whew* I was a bit worried that the Winky might have blunted the virulence of my attack...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 668 of 1062