• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supercreep

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm five episodes into Chihayafuru, and am really enjoying it. I don't, however, see this as the masterpiece that it has been touted as being. Chiyaha is the kind of overly-earnest character that really irks me and brings me out of the experience. I'm also watching Natsume's Book of Friends, and that show does a much better job of handling emotional content without resorting to grand declarations and constant crying. With Chihayafuru, I feel like I'm being emotionally manipulated and at times it elicits eye rolling. Natsume is much more subtle, and therefore a better show.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
supercreep wrote:
With Chihayafuru, I feel like I'm being emotionally manipulated and at times it elicits eye rolling. Natsume is much more subtle, and therefore a better show.

You have no idea how glad I am to see somebody write that. I lasted 2 and half eppies of Chihayawnfuru before packing it in. Nice to see that not everybody has been having spine-snapping multi-Os over this show.
supercreep

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
supercreep wrote:
With Chihayafuru, I feel like I'm being emotionally manipulated and at times it elicits eye rolling. Natsume is much more subtle, and therefore a better show.

You have no idea how glad I am to see somebody write that. I lasted 2 and half eppies of Chihayawnfuru before packing it in. Nice to see that not everybody has been having spine-snapping multi-Os over this show.

I also thought I was alone in this. I'll probably continue with it because I find Karuta fun to watch, but I don't really understand how this show got as much praise as it did.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
First up, I finished Tekkaman Blade! Hopefully this post will convince at least one person to buy it because it was a fantastic series. It started off more episodic, but it really took off when it stopped being episodic sort of "D-Boy transforms and saves the day", which weren't bad at all. I'd say that was maybe 12 eps in, worth sticking it out for that. Then it spent most of the rest of the time developing the characters and their tragic stories and the entire tragic and somewhat depressing story overall. The world has been ravaged by bug-like monsters after all and isn't exactly a nice future. But I feel like I can't spoil much because it's all so worth it to watch to find for yourself. Not a show where transforming into a superhero is a good thing for a rare change. Sure, it wasn't a good thing in PMMM, but compare it to TB where spoiler[you don't just wear armor, you are the armor, the Twin Blood special OVA makes it especially gruesome looking. Oh And if you stay transformed for more than 30 minutes, the enemy Radam will take over your brain. and transforming causes severe nerve damage and eventually memory loss. And it was involuntary, most of those whom the process was forced upon died due to incompatability] and it kinda makes the PMMM problems look pretty tame. Far more body horror for Tekkaman Blade.
But yeah, it's an awesome, somewhat depressing show in a hellish future with great characters, why this isn't more popular, I'm not quite sure (well, ok, it looks old, I'd say even older than it actually is, Tatsunoko seems to be behind the curve on making things look modern, or like they were made in the 90s when they were), but since I have no problems looking past that, it was fantastic for me. TRSI has the sets for $29, dammit, go buy it!

Then I also saw the OVA Armored Trooper VOTOMs-Roots of Treachery. I'd already seen and loved VOTOMs, but the ANNCast made me want to watch some of the side stuff. I do plan to watch Armor Hunter Mellowlink at some point too, since that sounds really badass too. Anyway, Roots was a great expansion to the VOTOMs verse. It's a prequel that shows how Chirico joined the Red Shoulders. It's first mentioned in Uoodo City arc, and then further showed in the Deadworld Sunsa arc. For me, this OVA really helped make sense of the Deadworld Sunsa arc, but I could also see it as a good intro to the VOTOMs universe if you're not quite ready to commit to a 52 episode series (though there are 3 skippable recap eps). For those who have seen it, its a great expansion to the universe, but since it happens before the main series, we don't get much for the main, Chirico. In the meantime though, there are some awesome mecha fights! And since it was an OVA, the bumped budget made them far more awesome than the main series fights (though Red Shoulder involvement helped that too)
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote
100% agree with supercreep and blood- about Chihayafuru. Honestly, it's her character that makes me dislike the show. If she was not there, I would enjoy it much more and wouldn't have dropped it. I got up to the part where Chihaya spoiler[got the Happy Birthday text from Arata and preceded to orgasm on the spot in front of the main kid. Like... really? I get that it's unrequited love, but there's no need to make it so obvious that he'll never get her.]

As for what I'm watching right now.... Re-watching the original Hunter X Hunter because once I caught up with the new series, I just wanted to continue watching it.

Also watching Casshern Sins for the first time. I like it, but I really have to be in the mood for it, so I'm going at like 1 ep a week, if that. But when I do watch it, I really dig it.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
First up, I finished Tekkaman Blade!

Cool, another person that actually likes it.

I've contemplated going back to re-watch the whole series at some point after my recent infatuation with Tatsunoko. I watched Cashhern Sins a few months back and am preparing to watch it all the way through on Blu-ray this week. I also found BD rips of Karas, which I'd seen an episode of a long time ago, but am now getting into the mood to finish, plus it looks pretty damn spiffy in HD,. And now you've brought up Tekkaman Blade, which I recently bought the third box for from Right Stuf during their Christmas sale, I might want to revisit that, too.

As for me, I'm re-watching Claymore, so that I can compare it to the aforementioned Casshern for the predicament in this thread. If you'd like to know my opinion, then feel free to go there.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
@Tony K.
I actually got a set of Teknoman before I got Blade. Sure it was cheaper, but that didn't make it a very good idea. Lots of pun-tastic dialogue was shoved into the fight scenes, and for a show that's as dead serious as TB, it made it damn near unwatchable. But I also saw potential for a very good original show, for $29, I decided to take the risk, and luckily, it paid off!

I saw Karas a few years back as well. Might've been the first Tatsunoko thing I saw. I remember liking the first half, then the second half seemed to insert some spoiler[humans are evil, save the trees!] bs that rather ruined the overall experience for me. Which is a shame because I thought it was going quite well up to that point.
I've yet to see Casshern Sins (because the Blu-Ray/DVD combo pack is kinda expensive and sure the DVD half sets are $21 now at TRSI, but I still don't quite have money for it right now) but I would like to. Actually, didn't Discotek license the older OVA, Casshan Robot Hunter? I might be getting that (and half of the other OVAs they announced in the past few months). I think the only real exposure I've had to that series is Tatsunoko vs Capcom (Tekkaman and Tekkaman Blade were both in that too, as was Karas, shame the Gatchaman DVDs are oop or I might look into those too).

I also just watched Galaxy Express 999, which I got in a recent TRSI order and wanted something short to watch after looong Tekkaman Blade (which is 4 eps shorter than you think because that series has 4 freakin' recaps! Two of them are only 5 eps apart! No clue why, but yeah, you can skip them). This is only my second or third Leiji thing I've ever seen, but the first one involving his Captain Harlock Leijiverse (as the other two were The Cockpit, aka my only anime on VHS, and Interstella 5555, one of the most unique anime viewing experiences I've ever had). Yes, S'more Ent got the TV series, but it's also 113 episodes long, which seems really long for something that seemed to fit in a movie just fine. Ok, so the core of the story seemed to fit in just fine, but their layovers on planets seemed to be really short, and they didn't make a whole lot, so I'd imagine the series would have more of that. The movie was a great adventure in space story, but then other elements seemed to be a bit missing, I still didn't quite get what was up with Maetel herself or why Captain Harlock really needed to be there at all (except to look and act badass) or why they went all spoiler[space shooty on Planet Maetel at the end when it seems Tetsuro really just needed to throw the pendant, and he and Maetel escaped on the GE999 anyway, it's not like Harlock or Emeraldas picked them up], but I think it told its story in the time alloted very well. Not necessarily the romance aspects quite as much (which seemed a little borderline incestual to me, though part of that might be that Leiji Matsumoto only knows how to draw one female body shape and hair style and then just make the hair different colors, I think I counted 6 long hair svelte bodied woman in this movie alone), and also I really didn't get the whole thing with the Time Castle exactly spoiler[or how Maetel was a time traveler somehow], but I think as an adventure flick, it's quite good. Not sure how they could've continued it with another movie though, GE999 didn't seem to need it, yet it obviously exists.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know why Funimation didn't upload episode 542 of One Piece this week? I tried looking for it just now, but can't find it anywhere on their site.

Edit: Just saw on youtube it was postponed a week and that it will be another Toriko crossover. Funimation will probably not be airing it since they didn't obtain the rights last time.
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Inspired by the new series and facing a Detective Conan withdrawal I wanted a fun little crime story, so I watched Lupin III: Blood Seal of the Eternal Mermaid, the special they made last year. If it weren't for a couple small things I'd rate it "Very Good" but those small things annoyed me and made for an unsatisfying final act of the special.

Once again, generic bad guy ruins a lot, and this guy's evil plot was a really poorly thought out stinker
I am also on a Lupin III kick and watched Lupin III: Blood Seal of the Eternal Mermain. The way you described it fits it perfectly. Kinda lame villain, but what was an epic fail was the 'horrible death traps' to get to the treasure Confused
Spastic Minnow wrote:
In the end I recommend it because it's Lupin. Failures in logic be damned, these movies are always fun.
This was exactly how I felt Smile
I also watched Lupin III: Green vs. Red and Lupin III: Crisis in Tokyo. Crisis in Tokyo was fun and gave everything you expect from a Lupin story; double-dealing Fujiko, Zenigata antics, heist gone wrong when they discover there's more to their target than they first thought.
Green vs. Red on the other hand was not what you expect from a Lupin installment, and not in a good way. It was confusing, not light-hearted or goofy, and in the end spoiler[the fake Lupin won? I'm not even sure.] It wasn't all bad though. This Lupin special focuses on the tons of copycat thieves that emerge in Japan. It was pretty funny seeing the police swarmed by scores of Lupins.

I also watched four, 20 min OVAs that are part of a Young Animator Training Project. Bannou Yasai Ninninman, Kizuna Ichigeki, Tansuwarashi and Ojii-san no Lamp. Ojii-san no Lamp is the gem of the four. I loved this. An old man tells the story of how he grew up and became a lamp vendor, in the time before electricity came to Japan.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:46 am Reply with quote
Now doing an english rewatch of Rozen Maiden with my brother, seemed like a mild choice after Angel Beats, akthough due to my like of Hina-Ichigo I will probably not do the second season straight after. I am a bit dissapointed that Suiseiseki does not do her trademark "desu" english, takes a bit of the charm. It would sound stupid to criticise Hina-Ichigo's voice sounding less cute, but the voices grow onto me, quite happy that I can get past my old dislike of the dubs. I told my brother it was about dolls to lower his expectations, but now he is getting into it, maybe he is watching too much. The Easter holidays are turning into a tour of my DVD shelf.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote
Re-watching Big-O for the nth Time because its my favorite Mech/Noir series. And I finally got around to ordering Season II off of Amazon since I can't seem to catch the S2 reruns on TV anymore. Razz (Darn you sleep!)

Aside from that still watching Bleach on [Adult Swim] as per usual, and been thinking of popping in my Galaxy Express 999 Movies sometime this week.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I watched an old OVA called Ultimate Teacher. This was featured a long time ago in a "Buried Treasure" article on ANN, which is what got me interested in watching it. IMO, it's not quite a "treasure" but it turned out to be more entertaining than I thought it would be at first. The plot, such as it is, involves a teacher who is actually the product of genetic engineering trying to reform a class of the worst delinquents ever. The delinquents are led by a cute girl who gets super strength from her character gym shorts. The show is not as stupid as this sounds-it's stupider, with lots of over-the-top violence and nonsense stuff going on in the background. It's worth a look on a slow night if you're a fan of old OVAs, assuming you can find a copy. I got this on DVD from a vendor on Ebay that sells a lot of stuff that was never released on DVD. This looks like a VHS rip-or actually two, since it has the show both in English and in Japanese with subtitles (which is how I watched it).
Otishio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Just finished up season of Bakuman and so very much enjoyed it. Happily looking forward to the third season.

Anyways, if it was possible to make a bigger genre jump I'll be damned. I'm now starting Deadman Wonderland due to my friend constantly recommending it to me so luckily I found it on Hulu and just saw the first episode. Sort of enjoying it but doubting it'll be anything spectacular.
V1046-R

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Watching Welcome To The NHK right now.

This is what I'd call a very Japanese-centric show, as it is a drama/comedy dealing with a social issue known as "hikikomori", where young people withdraw from society & isolate themselves in their home. Our main character is a 22 year old hikikomori man, and what we'd call "agoraphobic" in the USA (although there seems to be distinct differences & social causes between agoraphobia & hikikomori, so not exactly like for like).

I like shows like this because watching in Japanese language with subs prompted me to do more research online to understand the terms & issues better. Besides the show being entartaining in a quirky odd way, it has prompted me to go out & learn new things.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Watching Spiral: The Bonds of Reasoning as I'm into a bit of mystery genre lately.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 680 of 1062