• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:22 am Reply with quote
I watched Baccano earlier this week. I have other stuff that's been in my backlog longer but I just decided I wanted to watch this. I thought it was an entertaining show although the non-linear storytelling style seems to make the show needlessly complicated-style over substance. There are some interesting elements to some of the various storylines, and the ending of the TV show (the first 13 episodes) wraps things up fairly well but, in the end I couldn't help thinking it was-to borrow a phrase from Faulkner-a "tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing". Well, perhaps not quite "told" by an idiot but starring a pack of idiots. Isaac and Miria may just be the stupidest pair in the history of anime but there aren't any budding brain surgeons in this cast. Worse, many characters in this show suffer from diarrhea of the mouth. There were a number of times I wished they'd stuff a sock in it, especially during the all-out yakfest between Claire and Ladd (which I suppose could have been worse if Chane wasn't mute). In spite of the show's flaws, I did enjoy watching it and I rated the TV show as "very good". The three OVA episodes were another matter; I found them to be almost totally useless. True, they did give a bit more info about some of the characters but this came at the expense of having to put up with one of the most useless characters in anime. I refer of course to Graham, who at times appears intent on actually talking his adversaries to death (while simultaneously boring the audience to death). It would have been better to let the series end with episode 13.
supercreep

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote
@OldCharlieStoletheHandle

I loved Baccano! I'm sorry that you did not Crying or Very sad

anyway, 38 episodes into Eureka Seven and unless it goes off the rails I will be rating it as excellent. It's a very long journey that has its pacing problems, but I actually feel the length helps the show. I'm not sure how I'd feel if they cut it down to 26. Though I think Paranoia Agent has the greatest fillers, I've actually enjoyed the filler episodes in Eureka Seven very much. It doesn't feel like wasted time to me.
Botan24

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Tried out Aquarian Age, with my significant other a couple of nights ago. And promptly forgot I even watched the first handful of episodes. My husband's like, "Hey lets watch more of that anime....Aquarian something-or-other". My response was, "What anime is that?" The rest of the conversation went downhill from there. Suffice to say, he will be finishing it (by himself) at a later date. Can't be too specific as to why this show just didn't grab me. The story is strange, but tries to be mysterious. However, I was just frustrated. What are those monster things? Just who is the main character's girlfriend supposed to be? Some goddess? Why is everyone either homing in on the gf or him? Plus the animation is just bad, and the dub is...somewhat laughable. Music is so-so, and the character designs range from attractive to weird.

Next up is The Twelve Kingdoms. I have a thing for fantasy, so hopefully this will be right up my alley.
kaydub

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Finished Ano Natsu de Matteru last night, I quite liked it. Reminded me a lot of Toradora! for some reason, maybe it's because a lot of that staff did Ano Natsu as well and so the style was kind of the same. I was a little disappointed with the ending though, I felt that after spoiler[Ichika revealed that she was an alien], the story just kind of wrapped up way too fast and conveniently. I think that spoiler[Ichika's sister should have been more than just a plot device, and I would have liked to have seen a little more explanation of Renon's role with the MIB. I'm still not sure whether or not I feel like the story wrapped up too well for there to be a second season or not.]

Now I really wish it was summer Mr. Green

Gonna go start Kids on the Slope right now, and maybe start Space Brothers too while I'm at it.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:11 am Reply with quote
I have put Bodacious Sky Pirates on hold. I am not enjoying it a lot, looks like quite average adventure series. Not very bad, but I am not too fond of the characters that are a bit generic, I could not care a lot about the plot and it became more of a chore all together , so I will come back to it when I am more in a mood perhaps.

In the meantime, I am progressing with Dennou Coil. I have 10 episodes left, I went back to the forum to see what people wrote about it when it came out. 6 pages of posts only, and stopping at episode 6. This series really did not get the love it deserves. It is smart, funny, it has got likeable characters and mystery.

Also, first episode of Eureka Ao is out and I really enjoyed it.
I want to start Space Brothers and Kids on the Slope as well, and one or two other series, so that might actually be quite busy season unlike what I thought before.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:43 am Reply with quote
Ikki Tousen - it's filled with loads of fanservice and girls ripping their clothes, but I can't help but like it. I blame Kanu and Ryomou. I love 'em.

Started watching Mirai Nikki a couple of days ago and I'm hooked! The first episode blew me away!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote
Ortensia1980 wrote:
Ikki Tousen - it's filled with loads of fanservice and girls ripping their clothes, but I can't help but like it.

That "but" confuses me. For me it would be, "it's filled with loads of fanservice and girls ripping their clothes SO OF COURSE I can't help but like it."
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote
I usually don't like shows with insane amounts of fanservice, but I like this one!
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ortensia1980 wrote:
Ikki Tousen - it's filled with loads of fanservice and girls ripping their clothes, but I can't help but like it.

That "but" confuses me. For me it would be, "it's filled with loads of fanservice and girls ripping their clothes SO OF COURSE I can't help but like it."
The proper use of but is the way I use it: "it's filled with loads of fanservice and girls ripping their clothes off, but for some reason, I didn't like it." Although, looking back at it through the lens of a dude who watches anime now, that fanservice almost seems tame. Not a single nipple!
_Emi_

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I found someone on Amazon's marketplace selling the Higurashi singles plus box for $85 so I snatched it up. I'm glad I did.

The biggest hurdle to getting into the show was the first episode. If it wasn't for the fact that the first thing you see is Keichii beating his friends to a pulp with a bat and that great opening, I'm not sure I would have made it through that first episode. What a snooze. Thankfully it picked up after that and the subsequent arcs started off better. Most likey because I knew what to expect and also because it felt like it was getting to the curse faster even if it wasn't. The questions were intriguing. I really did want to know just what the hell was going on. Thankfully, the show did provide enough of the answers which, while not explaining everything, spoiler[would like to know what's up with Rika's (poor kid) other personality and the body doubles], answered enough that there was something of a resolution and left me with the hope that they would finally be able to spoiler[stop the resets], so I didn't fell jyped at the end. Still would like to get the rest of the answers legally. I'll just have to hope that Sentai picks it up and resort to fansubs in the meanwhile.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
_Emi_,

Higurashi has four "Question" Arcs and four "Answer" Arcs. The original anime, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, covers all of the Question arcs, but only the first two answer arcs. You have to get Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai, which has not and probably never will be released in the US, in order to get the final two answer arcs. (Kai also adds some extra arcs that were not part of the original game from which the anime is based.)
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
@_Emi_

*sigh* Don't we all wish Sentai would pick up Higurashi Kai, eh? I mean, they picked up Hell Girl, why not Higurashi? But in the meantime, R4 did get Higurashi Kai, so if you have a region free DVD player, that's always an option.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ortensia1980 wrote:

The whole beating someone so senseless they wet themselves (a recurring theme in the show) kinda is a big downer, but hey, I own the Geneon set.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:01 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Higurashi has four "Question" Arcs and four "Answer" Arcs. The original anime, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, covers all of the Question arcs, but only the first two answer arcs. You have to get Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai, which has not and probably never will be released in the US, in order to get the final two answer arcs. (Kai also adds some extra arcs that were not part of the original game from which the anime is based.)

What about my post made you think I didn't know all this already?

classicalzawa wrote:
*sigh* Don't we all wish Sentai would pick up Higurashi Kai, eh? I mean, they picked up Hell Girl, why not Higurashi?
That was my exact line of thinking.

Quote:
But in the meantime, R4 did get Higurashi Kai, so if you have a region free DVD player, that's always an option.
I was thinking about that. They have a bunch of stuff I would like to get. I just wish that Australia didn't make it mandatory to post the age rating on the box.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Botan24 wrote:
Next up is The Twelve Kingdoms. I have a thing for fantasy, so hopefully this will be right up my alley.
If you like fantasy, you'll probably love Twelve Kingdoms. The setting is intricate and beautiful. The amount of thought that went into it makes this one of my favorite anime.

I am watching Air Master. Episode 6, and so far good enough to keep watching. I was looking for a martial arts romp and that's exactly what I'm getting. Pretty typical so far in that a martial artist with talent is looking for the ultimate fight, and is fighting stronger and stronger opponents. The character designs are very different than what I'm used to. At first I thought they were kinda ugly (and they kinda are), but they've grown on me a bit. I'm hating the loli character Renge though, in personality, looks, and her voice. Oh god, her voice. Anytime she says anything, she screeches it XC. It's pretty bad. If she continues to be a main character and continues to shriek like that, I may drop this due to her voice alone. (Japanese dub)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 681 of 1062