• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:

The plot is formulaic, monster-of-the-week thin: a vampiric creature is discovered; the usual forces are unable to cope; the Hellsing organisation is on the brink of collapse; Alucard saves the day. I have to say, though, the scenes in the Tower of London were fascinating. Referencing Google Maps while they played out revealed the depiction to be very faithful.

Rating: not really good.

Well your problem is you're watching Hellsing TV and not Hellsing Ultimate. The VA work in the tv series was rather decent, one of the few good things about the show honestly. Hellsing Ultimate is by FAR superior. The characters have more depth, the animation is slicker, and it sticks to the manga much closer. They also got the entire original cast back and they give an even better job. So if you have not seen the HS Ultimate OVA's try them. You'll get a much better viewing experience with them.
MannersSuck

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote
yu yu hakusho - 012 - Rando Rises, Kuwabara Falls

rewatching the series this summer, adult swim bringing back toonami has had me going back buying & watching alot of old anime i watched when i was younger
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
MannersSuck--
Welcome to the fora -- hope you like them.
MannersSuck

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
MannersSuck--
Welcome to the fora -- hope you like them.
thanks
V1046-R

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote
MannersSuck wrote:
yu yu hakusho - 012 - Rando Rises, Kuwabara Falls

rewatching the series this summer, adult swim bringing back toonami has had me going back buying & watching alot of old anime i watched when i was younger

Not long ago finished watching the entire four seasons on Blu Ray. Love that old show. It is a blast!
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Apologies for the slow response. See below for the reason.

ManOfRust wrote:
This may not be much help, but it would bug me to own the second season without the first, so in your shoes I'd buy the first and rewatch it. I enjoyed the first season as much the second time through as I did the first. There is enough going on plot-wise that I picked up on some things I had missed the first time around.

I'm with you there: it would bug me too. So, what did I do? I bought both. It's more than my budget allows but I'll get by. I've already watched season 2 and I'm now re-watching both seasons with the American dub. A full report will appear here in due course. I'm also picking up extra things. First time around in the gold smuggling arc, I didn't get what Holo did to convince the young wolf spirit and his/her pack of wolves to stop pursuing them. Second time around I noticed spoiler[the stains on her knees and understood the humiliation she endured for Lawrence].

Quote:
I have also been picking up the novels as they come out here. The anime follows them very closely (at least the first couple) but I have very much enjoyed reading the same story in the different format.

I'm tempted to chase them up to find out what happens when they finally reach Yoitz (though I don't think the novels have got that far yet).

Psycho 101 wrote:
Well your problem is you're watching Hellsing TV and not Hellsing Ultimate. The VA work in the tv series was rather decent, one of the few good things about the show honestly. Hellsing Ultimate is by FAR superior. The characters have more depth, the animation is slicker, and it sticks to the manga much closer. They also got the entire original cast back and they give an even better job. So if you have not seen the HS Ultimate OVA's try them. You'll get a much better viewing experience with them.

Yeah, I agree that Ultimate is better but I'm not a fan of that either. I watched the TV series because it was easily, cheaply and legally available.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
I'm with you there: it would bug me too. So, what did I do? I bought both. It's more than my budget allows but I'll get by.

Heh heh. I've never done anything like that. Oh, nooo... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Quote:
I've already watched season 2 and I'm now re-watching both seasons with the American dub. A full report will appear here in due course.

I actually haven't watched the dub yet. Talking about the series is making me want to rewatch it though, so I think I'll watch the dub next time around.

Quote:
First time around in the gold smuggling arc, I didn't get what Holo did to convince the young wolf spirit and his/her pack of wolves to stop pursuing them.

That scene is one of the ones that demonstrate just how important Lawrence has become to Holo, and that type of scene is part of why I like this show. She plays it cool most of the time, but one of the things that endears this series to me so much is that when it really matters she is there for him. She likes to act the capricious and haughty wolf-goddess, but every now and then we get a peek at her true feelings.

It's not often that I start watching a series that I end up liking so much that I marathon it straight through even though I hadn't planned to do so. Spice and Wolf was certainly one of those series, and this past weekend I discovered another.

When I sat down on the couch last Saturday evening with no idea what to watch, little did I know that I'd spend most of the rest of the night and a chunk of Sunday morning watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica streaming on "Crackle." I had seen some buzz about the series and certainly noticed that the discussion thread in the anime forum was always on the front page, but I really hadn't paid much attention to it. As I was scrolling through the options offered by Crackle, thinking I would check out the first episode of a series or two before heading to bed, I came across PMMM and decided to check it out.

11 episodes later I realized that the last episode hadn't been released yet on Crackle! It was a long wait until Wednesday night when I was finally able to finish the series.

There's nothing I can say that hasn't been discussed extensively in the PMMM topic here in the anime forum, so I won't go into a long discussion of the show, but I'll just say that I loved it. I'm not generally a fan of magical girl shows, although I liked Princess Tutu and Magic Knight Rayearth well enough I suppose, but I didn't really enjoy some others like Pretear. This show is really nothing like those. I loved the direction the writers of the series decided to take by going in a very different direction from any other series I have seen.

PMMM is very dark, and the juxtaposition of the traditionally cute and girly elements of magic girl shows against the dire circumstances the characters find themselves in makes a huge impact. It goes right down to the spoiler[perversion of the cute and helpful mascot character into a creepy, scheming, and evil but still cute part of the cast.]

I also loved the animation. The stylistic choices made for the show were both beautiful and also enhanced the storytelling. The trippy animation when battling the witches paralleled the chaos in the world they represented. I'd love to see this show on Bluray, but the way things look now I don't think I'd ever pay the prices it's selling for.

The music is also fantastic, working well to underscore the mood of each scene. I liked that ending themes changed both in animation and in music to match the tone of the proceeding episode.

In the end, I thought PMMM was an excellent show. It did many, many things right and as a result it is an extremely entertaining way to spend 6 or so hours. I was a little underwhelmed by the ending, but I do think it worked and was appropriate. It certainly could have been much worse, which was one of my fears as I waited those three days to be able to see the last episode. If you are an anime fan (and I doubt you'd be here if you weren't), I think PMMM is worth checking out, if for no other reason than to experience just how differently a well established anime genre can be presented.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Just caught the first episode of the Holy Knight OVA... I can totally understand looking at a manga and saying "I don't want to adapt the nudity, sex, and rape, even with the relaxed limits of a non-TV series." I can't understand looking at a manga that is about nudity, sex, and rape, coming to the same conclusion, and still trying to adapt it anyway. It's smut without the smut. It's going to a steakhouse and ordering a salad. Just adapt something else!
Rathchet

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:48 am Reply with quote
Just finished watching Chobits and my god did i love it!
Im glad it ended with spoiler[Chii coming back and Hideki and her living happily ever after Surprised ]
Going to start watching Yamada's First Time tonight so we'll see how that turns out Smile
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching some old Tezuka stuff: Tales of a Street Corner and Bagi the Monster of Mighty Nature. I find it fun watching old movies he did or were based off his manga.

Crunchyroll has finally posted all the episodes of Puella Magi Madoka Magica and I'm very excited to watch it. I've been waiting until they got all the episodes up to start it.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
Right now I am watching Tenjho Tenge with my husband because he wanted to see it. It is definitely not my thing.

I recently rewatched Utena because of the remastered sets, as well as the fact that it is my second favorite series. Those sets look and sound amazing!
DestinGraham

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote
Right now, I'm actually watching Gurren Lagann for the first time. I honestly don't know why I hadn't started watching it sooner... But anyways, it's legit.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I have a few 2nd seasons on my shelf and I thought it would be nice to actually watch them rather than starting a bunch of new series.

So I ended up picking Spice and Wolf II, which I actually sort of prefer to the first season, although of course it lacks some excitement when it comes to the main characters being established. But on the other hand, the plot is for me a lot more interesting, and Horo is less... irritating. I will soon probably one of the people hoping for the third season Smile
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Aniplex finally released the last episode to Puella Magi Madoka Magica and I just finished all 12 episodes.

I would have rather spent the time gaming. For all the hype, this series left me with the impression its fame is built on the ashes of anime people hate with a passion, because the story is unoriginal and two of the characters are downright irritating.

For a story like this, it boggles the mind how the ending seems to wrap everything up so nicely as it does everything to "forget" everything it built itself up for. While it's no Deus Ex Machina, it sure came close to feeling like one, especially with the "Oh, but we'll just let this rule violation go so it wasn't all in vain".

This isn't to say I wasted the time within those 12 hours, but this is a clear-cut example of allowing the hype of those whose catalog of anime consists of 20 titles influence how "wonderful" the story and art were, which for the record, I didn't appreciate the latter. Again, nothing screams "original" anymore, and this style was definitely attributed to the works of others long before being applied visually here.

At best, I'm giving this one a C+, and it sure as hell isn't worth the $80 asking price for 3 episodes on any format to me, but some obviously don't agree with this and that's just fine.

Well, time to move onto other title 2012 has brought us. I heard this series about spit's grossing people out to stop watching it.

Sounds right up my alley for something original.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Just finished Hanasakeru Seishounen.

And I have to say that I was mostly let down from episode 24 on. Not that the prior episodes were a grand masterpiece, but the parts that were stupid (typically the shoujo-esque parts) were at least laughably so. I was enjoying the political mystery and character interactions...

And then a new director entered the scene. Oi vey.

You could immediately tell by the new art style and direction for episode 24. It was painful to watch (so painful... oh, Lee-leng's eyes at the water-throwing scene, DO NOT WANT). And I don't know if Kajika just became 10X more annoying because of that new director, but she was constantly in the "ojou-sama" role demanding things when she wasn't really competent in what she wanted to achieve. Those first few episodes after the 6 month time skip and right before episode 24, she seemed more mellow and a little more mature. I was hoping to see her become more mature like Rumaty and more competent, but I never really saw it happen. I don't know if the manga was the same way or if it was the fault of the new director, but DAMN.

One of the things that pisses me off most about the series is how all of the characters hide the truth from Kajika in order to "protect" her. As if ignorance is excusable. Her father wasn't going to tell her her destiny until she found someone who was willing to give up everything to protect her. And for 12 years of her life he kept her secluded on an island in order to protect her, which kept her ignorant of world affairs. Lee-leng wasn't going to tell her because he didn't want her to have to suffer the burdens of knowing. And, in the end, she had to find out from a 3rd party about her "destiny".

And it's all because the core of this series is a reverse-harem shoujo romance. The main female must be a girl who is surrounded by a bunch of gorgeous, wealthy, competent men who love her with all of their hearts and would be willing to give up their lives for her. The focus of the series is not her growth and development but on her admirers and how much they're devoted to her. That is the fantasy of the series. That is the guilty pleasure for those watching this series.

I actually had some hope for the series in regards to Kajika. She didn't bother me as much as other reverse-harem shoujo females have had in the past. She had flaws and she could be annoying, which I was fine with because I don't like perfect, angelic characters either, but she also had things about her that I liked. And I had hoped that she would grow and mature like Rumaty did (and for a short while it seemed like she would).

But, no, she didn't. She stayed ignorant, and the guys around kept letting her have her way in order to keep her happy "because they loved her" while at the same time keeping secrets from her "because they loved her." It's hard to like a protagonist who gets everything she wants, doesn't have to suffer much for it, is largely incompetent for the grand things she wants to help out with, and who stays ignorant to the things around her. Kajika's flaws are, yes, her own fault, but also largely due to the men around her who always felt the need to protect her and keep her separate from the action.

Also, URGH, there's such a thing called compromise, people! Don't just tell her "no" if you know she's gonna run off and do what she wants anyways. And if you're not willing to work with her and just be a jackass to keep her safe, then at least be competent body guards.

Kajika's lack of development is my greatest disappointment. She remained a flat character in order to keep the romantic fantasy (a bunch of hot men devoting themselves to and protecting one young girl) alive.

Even I can't say I was immune to it. Every moment Lee-leng worried over Kajika made me squee. However, Kajika's lack of development has soured the experience for me. After I saw the first 11 episodes, I ended up skipping to episode 34 and watching from there to the end (long story short, I knew I was going to have two busy weeks of school with little-to-no anime watching in between, and I didn't want to have to wait 2 weeks to find out the ending). At that time, I oohed and ahhed and gave girlish little squeals watching the final couple get together. Now that I've watched it properly and came back to those episodes, I find I'm not as much taken by the whole thing. (I still couldn't help but sigh a bit over the last episode).

Story of Saiunkoku, a similar anime in that its a reverse harem shoujo whose setting is in a political climate, is superior to this series mostly because Shurei, the main female lead, does undergo some development throughout the course of the series, is competent with what she wants to achieve, and isn't entirely ignorant to the things going around her (although the series does suffer the entire men-trying-to-protect-the-girl-from-the-truth syndrome as well... oh well). She follows her own path with just as much determination as Kajika, but she isn't as stupid about it either. She's much more admirable overall.

Oh well. Can't be pleased every time.

6/10 - I bumped it up a point just for the last episode.

Last edited by Crisha on Mon May 07, 2012 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 688 of 1062